Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Tissue Paper

For those who have played with "tissue paper" stamping: Does the brand of tissue paper makes a difference? I'm thinking of Hallmark vs Dollar Store quality. Do we need to spend more to get good results? If you think so, please share the brand name(s) you have had success with and where you purchased them. Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not totally certain what technique you're referring to, but for a dollar, I'd just start with the dollar tree's pack of white. I think it's probably fine. And you get like forty sheets for a buck.

There is one brand of paper-- Target's spritz, maybe-- that seems a little stiffer, like one side is coated, and if this is for something like the faux silk technique, I'd think that would not work as well.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I'm not totally certain what technique you're referring to, ...
People stamp a design onto a piece of tissue paper, let the ink dry, wad it up for a while, then open it out but don't flatten it completely. They spread glue on a cardstock card front, then lay the still-somewhat-crinkly/wrinkly tissue paper onto it. ... At least that's how I understand it. Should we stamp on the coated/shiny side or on the plain/rough side of the tissue paper? Does a better quality tissue paper withstand this treatment any better than the cheap product?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Do you have a link?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Do you have a link?
There is a faux silk tutorial in the Tutorials forum here on SCS!

I have always used cheapo tissue paper for this. Nothing fancy needed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

That sounds similar to the faux silk technique. Have you seen the SCS tutorial? It's located here.

I tried it once last year: you can see my card here though the details are hard to see. I think I probably just used dollar tree's, because that's usually what's in my closet. I don't recall having much of a problem with the ink I stamped with; it was more being careful with the copics to avoid bleeding outside the lines.

I'd probably stamp on the rough side, thinking the stamp wouldn't slide around as much as if I was stamping on a shiny/coated side. But it might be one of those things that's just something you'll have to experiment with a little, see what way you like the best. I'm sorry I don't have better answers for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I've had better success stamping with StazOn or Rangers Archival than with Versafine, which is my usual ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
People stamp a design onto a piece of tissue paper, let the ink dry, wad it up for a while, then open it out but don't flatten it completely. They spread glue on a cardstock card front, then lay the still-somewhat-crinkly/wrinkly tissue paper onto it. ... At least that's how I understand it. Should we stamp on the coated/shiny side or on the plain/rough side of the tissue paper? Does a better quality tissue paper withstand this treatment any better than the cheap product?
I just use dollar store tissue paper and have had no problems. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Loll Thompson did a great video tutorial on using tissue paper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNn...ature=youtu.be

I've used various tissue papers and it doesn't seem to matter to me.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have used Dollar Store and Store brands...either works fine. I highly recommend Loll's tutorial that Susan suggested for answers to many of your questions and awesome techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNn...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Tissue paper buffed with furniture polish :)

I watched Patti Tolley Parrish -- Inky Obsessions Youtube gelli printing video a few days ago where the she used Dr. Dan's unscented beeswax polish to buff the printed tissue paper after the paint dried completely. The results were amazing! The tissue paper became translucent and the printed images "popped"! Here's the video it's over 2 hrs but you can move forward to 2:24 mins to see her prints and at the very end she uses the product on one of the prints. https://youtu.be/HvKE3zHBCuI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe SSS offers Tissue Paper that you can use. Jennifer McGuire did a tutorial once on this too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I watched Patti Tolley Parrish -- Inky Obsessions Youtube gelli printing video a few days ago where the she used Dr. Dan's unscented beeswax polish to buff the printed tissue paper after the paint dried completely. The results were amazing! The tissue paper became translucent and the printed images "popped"! Here's the video it's over 2 hrs but you can move forward to 2:24 mins to see her prints and at the very end she uses the product on one of the prints. https://youtu.be/HvKE3zHBCuI

Well that looks like wicked fun. Now I have to go research art tissue, because that is clearly not dollar store tissue paper... Thanks <G>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I have not used art tissue with the Daddy Van's. I've been using cheap tissue paper and deli wrap to paint and stamp on followed by buffing with the product. Luv the results.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone tell me what this Daddy Van's is all about? Why would you want to emboss with it instead of using Versamark? I can see why it would be good for resists when you need to cover more acreage than is feasible with a little jar of Renaissance Wax. Once you use it to make deli wrap or tissue paper translucent, can you glue the waxy paper to something and will it stick? I saw a video where Shannon Green experimented with gluing paper to journal pages that had been buffed with Daddy Vans and the paper stuck but could be pulled off easily if you pulled on it. So I wonder how well things would stick to something like a canvas or a card over time. I'm just not sure what this product is about. Can someone explain it to me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Forget heat embossing for the moment. It's used to make tissue or parchment paper translucent or transparent. First you stamp on the paper, then Daddy Wax it, then cut out what you stamped to apply to something: a box, journal page, canvas, etc. You would only see the stamp and not the paper. This comes in super handy if wanting to stamp on an unsmooth substrate, to do layers, etc.

Patty Tolley Parishes videos show it but you have to be in the mood to "be with her" as she's creating since the videos are put on youtube after a long, live streaming session on UStream where you can type comments and questions to her and the other folks in her cadre. : )

I thought this was the thread about Daddy Van's but I guess not. Anyway, there's another thread with it as the focus with a bit about heat embossing.

There's no benefit to using it for standard heat embossing unless you were out of Versamark, IMO. Maybe cost for some people? Patty just experiments like crazy, and doesn't do that much heat embossing, and discovered Daddy Van's works. Maybe if you had it out and were playing with it already you'd swipe some on a piece of paper and grab a stamp to plunk into the Daddy Van's, stamp and then heat emboss, just part of the rhythm of what you're doing. Or to cover a large area. I've done it just to do it. : ) But it isn't the main show. Make sense?

Last edited by bjeans; 08-29-2017 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: brain was backwards - corrected order of waxing and stamping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Robin, if you fast forward to about 1:11 or even 1:30 (that's one hour 11 or 30 minutes), you can see Patti's multiple stamps on art tissue, and then more toward the 1:30 point, her Daddy Vanning (verb) it. https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Okay, that makes sense and piques my interest. Well explained. But what kind of adhesive do you use that will hold tissue coated with wax? I've seen her put the wax on both sides to make it even more sheer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

More reasons to luv DV.
From their website...
Daddy Van's All Natural Beeswax Furniture Polish is naturally chemical free and safe for your home and your family. It will nourish, protect and renew fine furniture, kitchen cabinets, built-ins, wood accents and accessories, butcher block and soapstone countertops, wooden toys... the applications are endless!

Daddy Van's is packaged in reusable, recycled steel tins that are made in the USA. It contains no petroleum byproducts. No solvents. No artificial fragrances.

Another review... Wanna hear why Ilove it?
1. It doesn’t melt the plastic cup I put it into…seriously folks- if your wax is melting your plastic cup or plate, it’s gotta be doing something to your body!
2. No worries if it gets on my hands…in fact, I just rub it in! My hands have never felt so nice!
3. It’s like an aromatherapy session while I wax! Smells.So.Good.
4. It provides AMAZING moisture protection with one coat!!
5. It makes wood gorgeous!
6. ENDLESS Applications! I’ve used it on antique leather bound books, metal, wood, painted surfaces, bamboo utensils, cutting boards, my vehicle interior…I told you- I’m obsessed!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Okay, that makes sense and piques my interest. Well explained. But what kind of adhesive do you use that will hold tissue coated with wax? I've seen her put the wax on both sides to make it even more sheer.
Oh, I forgot where it would be nice for heat embossing - you can apply it through a stencil and heat emboss. Patti does that in Part 2. You can see it on youtube also. That would be difficult with Versamark, even using a cube.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

But what do you glue it down with? I like the idea of stamping on tissue and then being able to make it "disappear" across some dimensional substrate, but what works with a waxed tissue to hold it on? I've seen Patty Tolley Parrish apply it, but never seen her actually glue it. Not that I have watched her much. I admire her work but I'm just not able to get into her vibe.

Yes, embossing through a stencil, that is an interesting idea as well. I suppose I am going to end up buying this stuff if I can be assured that I have what I need to glue what I coat it with onto something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always just used dollar store or wal-mart/target. I buy a bunch at Christmas and it lasts me forever. I have had good results with making candles with this tissue paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 03:53 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
But what do you glue it down with? I like the idea of stamping on tissue and then being able to make it "disappear" across some dimensional substrate, but what works with a waxed tissue to hold it on? I've seen Patty Tolley Parrish apply it, but never seen her actually glue it. Not that I have watched her much. I admire her work but I'm just not able to get into her vibe.

Yes, embossing through a stencil, that is an interesting idea as well. I suppose I am going to end up buying this stuff if I can be assured that I have what I need to glue what I coat it with onto something.
I think Patti just uses a matte medium like Utrecht's. She came up with using Daddy Van for transparency, heat embossing and embossing through a stencil - or at least brought those to peoples' attention. She tested different deli papers to figure out which was the most transparent after being Daddy Van'ed - on another video.

Putting her video on while doing something else has provided a lot of info - I keep an ear out and back up to what's pertinent, though at times have watched part of live demos since you can ask questions. (Btw, Patti has quite a story about her life/cancer on an early video.)

One of her friends had a video where she used Mod Podge, glue stick, Tombow in the green and white bottle and maybe double-sided tape on journal pages that had been painted and then lightly Daddy Van'ed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I saw that video using the Mod Podge etc. Sure, the items technically stuck to the Vanned paper, but you could pull them off. So what's the good of that? Maybe okay in a journal, but on a canvas or a card front I would think that after a while things would start to peel on their own.

I saw Patty test glue some Vanned deli paper using matt medium, but she did it, set it aside to dry and then forgot to check it before the stream ended. So I never got an answer.

Where's the Daddy Vans thread you mentioned? Then I can stop hijacking this one.;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 04:14 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

It's in the Tools/Products section called something like, "Have you heard of Daddy Van's?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, found it. Now I can leave y'all alone. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
For those who have played with "tissue paper" stamping: Does the brand of tissue paper makes a difference? I'm thinking of Hallmark vs Dollar Store quality. Do we need to spend more to get good results? If you think so, please share the brand name(s) you have had success with and where you purchased them. Thank you!
Back to the original question. I asked Patti Tolley Parrish which tissue paper she liked, and here's her response:

"I like using Dixie Wrap deli paper I get online from Samsclub. If you daddy van both sides it's pretty much clear. Dick Blick art tissue is another one I've used, but that doesn't get as transparent as the dixie wrap. And the deli paper is much cheaper. Cheap gift wrap tissue varies, tons of brands and types out there. Some work, some not as well."

It's under $14.00 for 1000 sheets, so that would last you! (It's 10% more if you're not a Sam's Club member.) But it sounds like lots of papers work - just differ a bit.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/dixie-...lp:product:1:2

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 08-30-2017 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Forgot link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I'm so skeptical that something waxed on both sides will stick using matte medium. So now I have to try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Back to the Dixie brand paper at Sam's Club? Amazon carries it with free shipping:https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...JKN0R2VN&psc=1

Sorry I left that out.
Reply With Quote Likes