Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to stamp in your kitchen?

We're in a small house with no space to have a craft room. Anyone make cards at their kitchen table? All my supplies are in my kitchen cupboards. In order to make a card I have to take everything out and then put everything away to make dinner. It's a hassle so I hardly do it but I enjoy making the cards. Anyone been there who has any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I'm in a small house too so I feel ya. Have you thought about just having a tote bag for some essentials? It's easy to put things in a bag for later without totally putting everything away each time. I also use bins that hold supplies for things I'm currently working on - that way I don't have to break it up until I'm done with the project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm lucky to have an office/craft room, but do messy painting, etc., in the kitchen. I keep many items on an IKEA Raskog cart that can be rolled into another room, and the rest in inexpensive plastic Container Store boxes in a sideboard.

There are other inexpensive carts, some with pull out drawers so they hide everything.

Plastic boxes like Stufftainers can hold projects you're still working on.

If you want links to anything, just yell. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm embarrassed to say - I have an office/craft room but MUST work on the kitchen table. I moved into my current home 4 years ago and now have that extra room. Previously, in my old home, I had to keep all crafting supplies in the basement (it was just for storage) and I'm a crafter, not just a cardmaker so I have all kinds of stuff that might be useful some day. When we moved, most of my stuff fit but within a couple of months our new neighbor invited me to a Stampin Up! party. The rest is history and yes, we're still friends. Having to dig through everything and move stuff around was such a hassle; I could never find things. I just spent the last 3 days purging, cleaning out, and organizing that room and its still not finished. Great way to spend vacation time.

So, what I've done for these past 4 years is what Lydia and bjeans have mentioned: keeping the basic necessities (scissors, tape, glue dots, etc.) in a tote so its easily moved, keeping projects I'm working on in containers, etc. Originally when I started a project I would have everything on the table but it was just a pain to clean up and move all the time and would get overwhelmingly cluttered while working. To cut down on the aggravation, I now set up mini stations: Big Shot on one counter, cutter on the other, actual project on the table. I recommend the mini stations; I'm able to work faster because I'm more organized and less cluttered in one area. It's made clean up easier too as I will put away which ever station I'm finished with (put away = put the stuff where ever it fits in the room). This has also kept me from changing my mind 10 times on how I want to do a layout since I don't want to find and set everything up again.

In regards to the IKEA cart, that would be very helpful, I think. I just bought the Michaels version (its goes on 50% off, alot!) and its what I will be using to corral my stuff until the room is finished (probably in another 4 years). The cart is made very well and doesn't really take up much room but can hold alot.

I hope some of this info helps!
fifi

(On a side note: in October 2015, I started saving all the $5 bills I received as change, planning on saving until I could buy a Kitchen Aid mixer. Well, that added up so fast I decided to keep going and save for a new air conditioner for the office/craft room. I can get both now! A little bit of useless knowledge: a large binder clip can hold $1,000 in $5s)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

the first house we bought was 800 Sq feet.
and I started paper crafting on my Kitchen table. So, I feel ya.
I had some decorator boxes ( that I liked to look at the outside of them) that fit under a sofa table ( that we used as a computer desk) in the living room so, I could carry those boxes back and forth and it hid the mess when tools were not in use.

at that time my supplies were really minimal but, it is do-able.

eventually I had a desk hauled up the steep stairs to a finished attic that I could only stoop to walk to and sat at the whole time but, it did allow me to leave things out while they were under construction.

You didn't mention if you had pets or kids that would also be re-arranging things for you when you were not using them but, if so maybe there is a spot somewhere ( even in a closet) that you can put a small desk or table for a you space?

I have seen really cool "craft rooms" that really only use a small part of a closet to contain it all.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in a one bedroom apartment with my husband in New York City - it's about 400 square feet. My craft room is the bottom half of our bedroom closet. I have the Michaels 8 drawer rainbow rolling chest by recollections. I used a whole lot of coupons and bought it about a year ago for around $50 with free shipping. This thing has a small footprint - about 15" x 16", 36" tall - and is the strongest cart of its kind around - and it's on wheels! It takes 12 x 12 paper - I have punches - about 50 MS and folding type - in the bottom two drawers - there is NO bowing of the drawer. It fits an amazing amount of stuff in it and you can wheel it around - and it's PRETTY! Each drawer is a different color - so I have different things for each drawer - ink in one, embellishments in another, etc. on top I have my "double wide" fridge binz of stamps - about 80 sets. Read the reviews at michaels - people love it. I've lived in NYC 25 years, in a tiny tenement apartment so I really know how to make the best of a small space and this cart is great. I don't think I've ever endorsed a product so fervently - haha!
Anyway - you could find a little corner or closet in the house to park the cart and then wheel it to your work space when you're ready to play. Good luck! (I couldn't post a link because this is my first post - and also - I don't know how!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe some ideas for you here: Craft room organization: how to organize a tiny craft room efficiently!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSStammperView Post
I live in a one bedroom apartment with my husband in New York City - it's about 400 square feet. My craft room is the bottom half of our bedroom closet. I have the Michaels 8 drawer rainbow rolling chest by recollections. I used a whole lot of coupons and bought it about a year ago for around $50 with free shipping. This thing has a small footprint - about 15" x 16", 36" tall - and is the strongest cart of its kind around - and it's on wheels! It takes 12 x 12 paper - I have punches - about 50 MS and folding type - in the bottom two drawers - there is NO bowing of the drawer. It fits an amazing amount of stuff in it and you can wheel it around - and it's PRETTY! Each drawer is a different color - so I have different things for each drawer - ink in one, embellishments in another, etc. on top I have my "double wide" fridge binz of stamps - about 80 sets. Read the reviews at michaels - people love it. I've lived in NYC 25 years, in a tiny tenement apartment so I really know how to make the best of a small space and this cart is great. I don't think I've ever endorsed a product so fervently - haha!
Anyway - you could find a little corner or closet in the house to park the cart and then wheel it to your work space when you're ready to play. Good luck! (I couldn't post a link because this is my first post - and also - I don't know how!)
Welcome (a little late) to Splitcoast - great suggestion and review! My husband and I lived in upstate New York for many years and I finally convinced him to go to "The City" our last summer there. He loved it and thought that it would be really cool to live there in one of the townhomes or something. I could SO see us doing what you're doing! But, I digress...

What I wanted to say is that you add a link by clicking the link icon above the box where you're typing your post and paste the URL in the pop-up window (of course, you have to copy it from wherever, first...). If you want some of the words that you've already typed to be the link, then highlight them, then click the icon and paste the URL. There's a lot of information about maneuvering around the site and such over HERE. The first five posts are "sticky" posts (meaning that they always stay at the top of the thread) and have a wealth of information!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

OT Wow, despite tons of pasting links in a post, I didn't know about adding a link that way. Learn something new every day.

I just copy the URL from the top of the store's website and paste it into a post. I wonder what the difference is if you aren't changing the link to words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Default To Gregzgurl

I did try to put a picture of the cart up Sue, but it kept telling me I failed and after a while I just couldn't handle the rejection.
The problem with NYC is that once you get in, it's almost impossible to get out - unless you're independently wealthy of course. Thanks for the welcome Sue. I've been lurking for a while; just decided to come out of my shell. I have seen how nice and helpful you are to everyone here. (Sorry - off topic)
Stefany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

I mean "I did try to put up a picture of the cart, Sue"! Not what I said above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

The organization that you all have sounds amazing!! Thanks for the great info! I'll be on the lookout for those carts and totes. I appreciate everyone for taking the time to help me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome to SCS! It's a great place and a lot of fun!

I never knew how to do the typed word link. Cool! Thanks Sue!

I think most of us know the kitchen work deal and you are not alone there. Certainly when I was young, we had dens or an office in a house-no one was talking about craft rooms and man caves LOL

I find it easier to work on the dining table myself at one end. Could you do that? Then you dont have to move it to make dinner? Or are you eating at the kitchen table?

I like the tote/bin idea.

What about if you stamp some images and color those at night watching tv or at kids sports events, etc. Less time needed for the table. Have clipboard can travel color...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #14  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post

(On a side note: in October 2015, I started saving all the $5 bills I received as change, planning on saving until I could buy a Kitchen Aid mixer. Well, that added up so fast I decided to keep going and save for a new air conditioner for the office/craft room. I can get both now! A little bit of useless knowledge: a large binder clip can hold $1,000 in $5s)

GENIUS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I used to craft at my kitchen table, too, and one of the best things I did was making a "kit" at the end of each crafting session. That kit became a starter of a new project, and it made it so I was focused and not bringing down a million things when I really only used five.

I bought this box from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/ArtBin-Essent.../dp/B00BRG5IK8

At the end of each card-making session, I would grab a stamp-set, some patterned paper, an inkpad and whatever embellishment felt like it went with the theme. Then I'd also throw in a card base, some cardstock to stamp on, scissors and a coloring medium (watercolor pencils for me at that time).

If I just felt like making one card, I'd only grab that kit and just use that. But if I felt like making a lot more, I already had the most basic supplies and tools out. Once I was done creating with the things that were in the box, I'd put them back in whatever organization system I was using for my supplies (just so nothing got lost).

Even after moving my crafting area to the corner of my bedroom where my supplies are at my fingertips, I still sometimes make these starter kits at the end of each card-making session. It's an easy "warm-up" project when I sit down to make something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the tote and or IKEA cart. I have a craft room but sometimes I want to be in the living
room with everyone else. I pack up my tote and grab my cart and go. Dinner time I just put everything back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I'm lucky to have an office/craft room, but do messy painting, etc., in the kitchen. I keep many items on an IKEA Raskog cart that can be rolled into another room, and the rest in inexpensive plastic Container Store boxes in a sideboard.

There are other inexpensive carts, some with pull out drawers so they hide everything.

Plastic boxes like Stufftainers can hold projects you're still working on.

If you want links to anything, just yell. : )
I have a Raskog and love it. I did find a similar cart at Target. When it is on sale it is cheaper. It comes in several colors including white. I bought one for me & 3 for my daughter. You can add all kinds of containers that hang off the sides! Look on Pinterest!
https://www.target.com/p/3-tier-roll...3/-/A-50659926
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 06:08 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I had to login just to LOL KSStammper. Rejection....HA, HA, HA...I so get it. The internet often rejects my best ideas on how it should work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I have a Raskog and love it. I did find a similar cart at Target. When it is on sale it is cheaper. It comes in several colors including white. I bought one for me & 3 for my daughter. You can add all kinds of containers that hang off the sides! Look on Pinterest!
https://www.target.com/p/3-tier-roll...3/-/A-50659926
Great idea about adding containers. The Bygel "buckets" from IKEA are terrific - I have a bunch on my Raskogs. Unfortunately IKEA doesn't sell them any more, but you can still find them on Amazon and ebay, and I saw three for $10 from jet.com. (I haven't ever ordered from them.)

Just for some visuals, this blogger shows 21 different Raskogs used for paper crafting, and of course other carts could be used too. Some carts have Bygels on them. 21 Ways to Use Your Raskog Cart To Organize Your Scrapbook Supplies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

When I first read the OP, I was thinking about a small spot on a card and was wondering when you would want your stamping to be temporary. When I read it properly, I slapped my forehead and said "Duh."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

OMG....so many choices!! I have a tiny summer place.........no closets, no under beds because they are built ins, no kitchen cabnets actually no real kitchen but I have managed to find little spaces here and there for my card making. I have a Square fabric cube like these https://www.amazon.com/Sodynee-Folda...ge+cubes&psc=1.And nearly everything goes in there. I then store it under a make shift nightstand in the bedroom. The rest of my supplies are stored in one of these totes http://http://www.hobbylobby.com/Scr...p/17924-TI0148
This slides nicely (out of sight somewhat) under the Queen Anne Chair in living room. Jars of button, ribbons and Dodads are all in mason jars and used as decorations on shelves on the porch. And last but not least my paper is stored in a Martha Stewart tote similar to this Crop In Style JR Tote Blue Scrapbook Organizer Craft Travel Bag Case w/ Strap | eBay
Martha Stewart one is no longer available but I store mine on a coat hook on the porch when not in use. Wee houses need us to be creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

Default Use Cut Down Boxes

I use cut down boxes to keep my current projects together, and to make them easily portable. If the parts are low enough not to stick above the top of the box, you can even stack several boxes if you are working on more than one project. See the second tip down on this page:

General Craft Tips

With this tip, you can craft on the kitchen table and then easily move your project out of the way to serve a meal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

THANK YOU!! You are all so inspiring!! I don't feel so discouraged now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

smallwafflefries

Not sure if you still need some "out of the box" suggestions, but check out Yana Smakula's blog. She makes gorgeous cards and lives in a 1 bedroom apt and has almost all her supplies on a desk in her living room.
Reply With Quote Likes