Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you know...

How do you know Where your stamps are. I understand indexing, but what I am interested in how you know WHERE the set is and where to put it back.
I have my sets in pockets on laminated stamped sheets and I am interested in ways to file the sets.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My index is by theme, so if I want a flower I go to the flowers index. I have a stamp set number on the index page and the stamps are filed (and labeled) numerically so I can easily go to that set and I know exactly where to put it back. This system works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are by company, and if I have a lot from one company, then it is further organized by theme (fall, beach, birthday.) However, all my Christmas supplies, stamp paper etc are separated from the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine indexed by company and clear mount, Wood mount, and Photoploymer.

Of course I don't own a ton of stamps. I've been going through my stamp collection and writing down what I own,

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Miine are in Avery Elle pockets with labels and organized by category/theme, since with just one exception, I think of "flower" first, rather than "Hero Arts." If a set could fit into more than one category, I make a copy of the index sheet and put that in the other category.

The exception is RubberMoon stamps. They're separated into their own category, except for sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Mine are on laminated sheets in pockets, organized by theme. My index is trading card pages with the images/sentiments stamped on appropriately-sized cards ( 2 1/2" x 3 1/2", in this case). The categories in the index match the categories on the dividers between the panels in their bins. I don't worry too much about keeping things in order within each category, partly because they change periodically (purges and purchases), and it's easy enough to flip through a few panels to find that one stamp...

The biggest thing to keep in mind, regardless of which method you end up with, is to identify what trigger is likely to bring a particular stamp to mind. I've tweaked my categories a few times because the trigger I originally thought would work didn't, but another one did. For example, boats used to be in the travel category and fish used to be in with the animals, now they're both in "Seaside"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Organizing by theme just never made sense to me. (I can't bring myself to break up my sets, and some fit more than one theme.) My answer has been a simple numerical system. (I like numbers.) Sorry, but this is going to be long.

The majority of my stamps are in Avery-Elle-type sleeves, lined up in baskets, but the storage method isn't really relevant. Each time I get a new set of stamps, I give it a number. My very first stamp set is S1. The next one is S2... etc. When I get a new set, I just give it the next consecutive number. (I use my Brother P-touch to add the number to the sleeve, but again, there are lots of ways to number them.)

I keep all of the sleeves in numerical order. Putting them away where they belong is an absolute breeze, even with a lot of stamps. If it ever got to epic proportions, I could always add a tag to the basket that says "Stamps 1-30", etc., but that's never seemed necessary. I can see the first sleeve in each basket.

As to how I find them: I used to use a paper index almost exactly like Sue (she's given me lots of good ideas ) but I am now an Evernote convert. When I used the paper index, I would just make a copy of each stamp and place it in as many categories as I felt it would fit. On each index card, I just wrote down that set's sleeve number. Whenever I made a card, I'd just flip through my index, find what I wanted, get the sleeve number, and go right to the set.

Now, each stamp set has its own NOTE in Evernote. Each note has a picture of the stamp set, the number where I can find it, a description and/or tag for every possible keyword I might use to find it, etc... I use the same exact system for my thin dies, just on magnets (in the same kind of sleeves). My dies are numbered D1, D2, D3, etc. For coordinating sets, I will add a note in Evernote. In other words, the stamp set has a note that says "See D5 for matching dies", and the note for the die set has info about the matching stamps.

This has worked so incredibly well for my stamps that I'm using this same system for nearly everything. E1, E2, etc. for my embossing folders. ST1, ST2, etc. for stencils.

And then, I have a note for each of my favorite quotes (sayings I use for inside my cards). Those are numbered Q1, Q2, etc. This works especially well for quotes. Say I made a card with a butterfly, and I want something appropriate to write on the inside. I just go to my Quotes folder in Evernote, and search "butterfly" and every quote with that word pops right up.

And I've just started doing this with card designs. Now that I'm teaching classes, I want to keep notes on the cards that teach. So I'm using Des1, Des2, etc. I take a photo of the actual card, and include the date I used it for class, supplies used, and any other relevant notes.

For the record, my index changed from paper to pc, but my numbered system worked equally well with both. Evernote just has such awesome search capabilities. I'm also adapting this same system to work with all my new Stampin' Up stuff. I like leaving those in their original cases... but the system still works - S133, S134, etc. If you keep things in drawers, you could number your drawers. Same thing with shelves. If some things are in another room, you can note that, too. Or, you can add a note like "Loaned to Jane Doe 5-17-17".

There's actually more to my system... but ScS is going to cut me off if I don't stop, LOL. But I thought someone might find this helpful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I have paper index by subject in three ring binders.

Then if they are wood, they are in plastic boxes by subject.
If they are cling/clear they are in 3 inch 3 ring notebooks by subject.

I have kept a few sets whole in their own bin.

I have a bin for stamp/die sets.

The index tells me: brand, stamp name and the location.The reason I have the brand/name is just to answer people if they ask. Unfortunately I started this late so I have quite a few I dont know. If it is wood, I am saved by the stamp itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all I record each stamp as I buy it...Sets and individuals. The wood mount sets are in a small cabinet and the SU sets are stacked on a shelf. My poly sets are divided into groups..flowers, words, masculine etc. I found a neat idea that I use on a recycle blog once that I use. It is made from an old lamp shade frame (like a macrame one) and placed on a turn-table. The stamps are divided into sections...birds, flowers, greetings, guy etc. All I have to do is twirl it around until I find the section I want and 'have at it'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 04:39 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine are mostly Stampin' Up and are alphabetical. The other companies are in sleeves by company. I have everything indexed in Evernote.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashfulStamperView Post
Organizing by theme just never made sense to me. (I can't bring myself to break up my sets, and some fit more than one theme.) My answer has been a simple numerical system. (I like numbers.) Sorry, but this is going to be long.

The majority of my stamps are in Avery-Elle-type sleeves, lined up in baskets, but the storage method isn't really relevant. Each time I get a new set of stamps, I give it a number. My very first stamp set is S1. The next one is S2... etc. When I get a new set, I just give it the next consecutive number. (I use my Brother P-touch to add the number to the sleeve, but again, there are lots of ways to number them.)

I keep all of the sleeves in numerical order. Putting them away where they belong is an absolute breeze, even with a lot of stamps. If it ever got to epic proportions, I could always add a tag to the basket that says "Stamps 1-30", etc., but that's never seemed necessary. I can see the first sleeve in each basket.

As to how I find them: I used to use a paper index almost exactly like Sue (she's given me lots of good ideas ) but I am now an Evernote convert. When I used the paper index, I would just make a copy of each stamp and place it in as many categories as I felt it would fit. On each index card, I just wrote down that set's sleeve number. Whenever I made a card, I'd just flip through my index, find what I wanted, get the sleeve number, and go right to the set.

Now, each stamp set has its own NOTE in Evernote. Each note has a picture of the stamp set, the number where I can find it, a description and/or tag for every possible keyword I might use to find it, etc... I use the same exact system for my thin dies, just on magnets (in the same kind of sleeves). My dies are numbered D1, D2, D3, etc. For coordinating sets, I will add a note in Evernote. In other words, the stamp set has a note that says "See D5 for matching dies", and the note for the die set has info about the matching stamps.

This has worked so incredibly well for my stamps that I'm using this same system for nearly everything. E1, E2, etc. for my embossing folders. ST1, ST2, etc. for stencils.

And then, I have a note for each of my favorite quotes (sayings I use for inside my cards). Those are numbered Q1, Q2, etc. This works especially well for quotes. Say I made a card with a butterfly, and I want something appropriate to write on the inside. I just go to my Quotes folder in Evernote, and search "butterfly" and every quote with that word pops right up.

And I've just started doing this with card designs. Now that I'm teaching classes, I want to keep notes on the cards that teach. So I'm using Des1, Des2, etc. I take a photo of the actual card, and include the date I used it for class, supplies used, and any other relevant notes.

For the record, my index changed from paper to pc, but my numbered system worked equally well with both. Evernote just has such awesome search capabilities. I'm also adapting this same system to work with all my new Stampin' Up stuff. I like leaving those in their original cases... but the system still works - S133, S134, etc. If you keep things in drawers, you could number your drawers. Same thing with shelves. If some things are in another room, you can note that, too. Or, you can add a note like "Loaned to Jane Doe 5-17-17".

There's actually more to my system... but ScS is going to cut me off if I don't stop, LOL. But I thought someone might find this helpful.
I was hoping you'd explain your system, Kitty. : ) I think it would work really well for some stampers. I'd thought about it a lot, but didn't go that direction because I enjoy flipping through stamps (in pockets) within a category or even pulling out a category. Picking them up, holding different sets together, is a tangible, tactile part of the process I enjoy/need.

I put a laminated, cardstock copy of sets into other categories into which they fit - at most one or two, usually none - so they're visible when flipping.

The only stamps that don't play 100% nice are those teensy stamps in some sets that aren't set-related, and sentiments. I don't break apart sets, and prefer paper to electronic (at this point?) so will make a coded stamped sentiment file or notebook. But I always find what's needed - I don't have 500 or 1000 sets. And I enjoy the occasional surprise when I find a stamp I've forgotten.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
Mine are mostly Stampin' Up and are alphabetical. The other companies are in sleeves by company. I have everything indexed in Evernote.
I don't use evermore, but I do have all my SU in alphabetical order. That was easiest, as long as I remember the sets name!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Hmmm......that is something to consider. As I unmount my old wood sets, I am putting two sets in each DVD case. I haven't gotten too many done, but I was putting similar sets together. However alphabetical makes a lot of sense to me. Now I have a decision to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear stamps in Avery Elle envelopes are organized by theme, alphabetized, and are not broken up. Pure sentiment stamp sets have their own category but since many stamp sets have sentiments included I keep a circular Rolodex and stamp all sentiments onto a Rolodex card and include the name of the set. The Rolodex is arranged by type of sentiment with a tab so I can find all my like sentiments behind that tab. I can flip through and find a sentiment quickly. I include my rubber stamp sentiments in the Rolodex also but stamp them in a different color since mounted and unmounted rubber is housed in a separate storage system. My circular Rolodex takes up about five inches of desk space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashfulStamperView Post
Organizing by theme just never made sense to me. (I can't bring myself to break up my sets, and some fit more than one theme.) ... ...
... ... but I am now an Evernote convert. When I used the paper index, I would just make a copy of each stamp and place it in as many categories as I felt it would fit. On each index card, I just wrote down that set's sleeve number. Whenever I made a card, I'd just flip through my index, find what I wanted, get the sleeve number, and go right to the set.

... ...
Here's another reminder to me that I need to get friendly with Evernote.
Question: Do you use the "free" version of Evernote? Or do you use the 'paid/monthly" version?

I've made zero progress with the free one. Yet I continue to hear peeps proclaim how wondrous it is in their stampy world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Here's another reminder to me that I need to get friendly with Evernote.
Question: Do you use the "free" version of Evernote? Or do you use the 'paid/monthly" version?

I've made zero progress with the free one. Yet I continue to hear peeps proclaim how wondrous it is in their stampy world.
I started with the free version, but when they offered me a deal on a year's subscription, I took it. The more I use it, the more I like it - but it wasn't love at first site. The thing that really pushed me over the edge was the "web clipper" tool. I can look up all the items I want to add, right-click on the picture, choose "clip image", and it automatically starts a new note with just that stamp set (or whatever), and it automatically sends it to my "Inbox".

My system goes like this: receive new box of goodies, Google each item and "clip images", run off a bunch of P-Touch labels with consecutive numbers (starting wherever I last left off), slap a number on each item, open Evernote & go to Inbox, pull up each note and add any relevant notes: the number I stuck on it, every category I might want to place it in, etc., and then place it in the proper folder (stamps, dies, stencils, embossing folders, punches, misc. tools...).

That sounds like a lot, but each of those steps goes super-quick. It's sort of like creating an "assembly line" system. Before the web clipper, I was creating each note, and then looking for an image and either "drag & drop", or "copy & paste". This new method is MUCH faster. And the search function makes it all worth it. I do all of the setting up on my desktop computer, because it's where I'm most comfortable typing. But, without any effort on my part, all of this information is available on my laptop, which I keep in my craft room. And it's available on my cell phone, so if I happen to be out shopping, I can check if I already own something. Or if I'm at a friend's house, and they ask if I have a "such-n-such" stamp, I can actually show it to them.

As for whether or not to pay the money: most of these functions are available with the free versions. It just puts limits on your data, the search function isn't quite as good, and you're limited to access on two devices at a time. I'd say try to play with the free version a bit more. Try to get a feel for it. Then maybe pay for one month and see how it goes.

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but honestly, it's much quicker to keep up than my paper index, it takes up less space than my paper index, it's available anywhere - not just my "index binder shelf", and it's backed up on the Internet, which makes it a nice "just in case, for insurance purposes" thing, too. It took three real tries for me to get hooked, but I can't imagine living without it now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Thank you for the explanation, Kitty! That really helps.
I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Clear stamps in Avery Elle envelopes are organized by theme, alphabetized, and are not broken up. Pure sentiment stamp sets have their own category but since many stamp sets have sentiments included I keep a circular Rolodex and stamp all sentiments onto a Rolodex card and include the name of the set. The Rolodex is arranged by type of sentiment with a tab so I can find all my like sentiments behind that tab. I can flip through and find a sentiment quickly. I include my rubber stamp sentiments in the Rolodex also but stamp them in a different color since mounted and unmounted rubber is housed in a separate storage system. My circular Rolodex takes up about five inches of desk space.
Sentiment Rolodex - something to consider, thanks. I have two vintage circular ones and started using one for Rolodex art cards. (That lasted about a minute.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

I used the three Rolodex PTI divider dies cut out of different color card stocks to separate the themes but I think there are better options for dividers. The holes were a little too snug. Rolodexing seemed easier than getting out a binder but I'm open to new easy sentiment access ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

If I go the Rolodex route, I might use tabs for dividers or taller cards. (I have an old Rolodex punch that just punches out the bottom openings.) If I go with a binder, it will be binderless - IOW pages in page protectors on a ring.

It dawned on me that if my rolodexes are vintage, so am I.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

The thing about having them a bunch on a page seems swifter than flipping through. The idea of stamping all these onto something else seems pretty daunting though. Maybe five rainy days in a row project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
The thing about having them a bunch on a page seems swifter than flipping through. The idea of stamping all these onto something else seems pretty daunting though. Maybe five rainy days in a row project.
lol I might do it slowly - a Ten on Tuesday session. Forty on Friday? Do you have tons? You have a point about pages vs. flipping. I'm a flipper/leafer but it might be too much.

I'd type onto sticker paper rather than hand writing everything next to each sentiment. Or maybe use the IBM Selectric. Slower but kind of fun. Vintage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I don't use evermore, but I do have all my SU in alphabetical order. That was easiest, as long as I remember the sets name!
Kathy, that's why I eventually started using evernote. It got to a point where I couldn't remember the name of a stamp set but could remember the image. I would spend forever looking for the set with that stamp. Half the time I would have gone past it and didn't see it. Evernote changed my stamping experience and made it so much better.

I broke up some sets but only ones that were very specific, for instance, wedding, valentines. Personally I don't like to break up sets, it gets really confusing for me then. So many stamps can be used for different occasions and I am a visual person so I visualize sets intac.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm always the odd one out : )

Breaking out my sets is the only way I can survive. For me so many of the sets have a lot of unrelated stamps. If a set has parts that make up a scene then I'll store them all together but I get more use out of my stamps if I don't think of them as a set. I really like mixing it up.

I have a lot of categories that match how my weird brain works. For instance in the party box are balloons, confetti, invitations sentiments, gifts, to-from. Valentines only has "happy valentines day", candy hearts but no hearts. Hearts are in their own box and Love is a separate box that also includes weddings and anniversary. The transportation box has cars, bicycles, trains, hot air balloons, etc. Flowers are small, med, large, long stem, two-step, watercolor.

When I take a stamp out of the box I leave the box on the floor by stamp desk and when I'm finished I just put the stamp back on the laminate sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I "know" in my head what stamps I have but, I broke up my sets a long time ago so for me the evernote thing has really come in handy with that what the heck set name did this stamp come from...(because, If I cannot tell you without looking that is the one someone will email about...)

So, I tag things like a fiend in evernote... and that is working mostly for me when I go to upload to open that up and find set names for things.

but, I also leave the container that is where I stash that stamp out while it is in use so I can put it away when its clean.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2017, 05:31 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I'm always the odd one out : )

Breaking out my sets is the only way I can survive. For me so many of the sets have a lot of unrelated stamps. If a set has parts that make up a scene then I'll store them all together but I get more use out of my stamps if I don't think of them as a set. I really like mixing it up.

I have a lot of categories that match how my weird brain works. For instance in the party box are balloons, confetti, invitations sentiments, gifts, to-from. Valentines only has "happy valentines day", candy hearts but no hearts. Hearts are in their own box and Love is a separate box that also includes weddings and anniversary. The transportation box has cars, bicycles, trains, hot air balloons, etc. Flowers are small, med, large, long stem, two-step, watercolor.

When I take a stamp out of the box I leave the box on the floor by stamp desk and when I'm finished I just put the stamp back on the laminate sheet.

I am curious, do you break up your clear sets too? I have separated all my wood stamps, but never thought about doing the same to clear stamps as well. It makes sense, since I love my categories and sometimes I am not using a set to its full potential since many small images are included on sentiment sets. If you do break up your clear sets, can you give me a quick rundown on how you do it?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Is is possible to upgrade to the paid version of Evernote for just a month or two and then go back to free without consequences? I am happy with the free version, but at this rate it will take me years to upload all my images! If I change from paid to free will everything that I have uploaded still be there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Man, I'm SOOOOO outta my league here. I started indexing my stamps in the beginning by keeping s stamped image of each set, in alphabrtical order, in a 3-ring binder. But I started accumulating stamps faster than I could keep up with the indexing. (That happens when you work at Joanns AND a LAS simultaneously!)Now I just add each new set to the current, unfilled binder in a document protector until that binder gets full. Since I'm no longer working at either of those stores, the rate of accumulation has come to a near screeching halt.
I just search thru my binders (or shelves for wood mounted) for what I'm hoping I remember I bought! This way, I get to "visit" all my stamps & refresh my mind about what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Is is possible to upgrade to the paid version of Evernote for just a month or two and then go back to free without consequences? I am happy with the free version, but at this rate it will take me years to upload all my images! If I change from paid to free will everything that I have uploaded still be there?
Gosh... it looks like they changed things. I saw your post, and almost answered "I think so", but decided I better go look first. It looks like they only sell annual plans now. I did the year thing when they had a special. Honestly, I'm kind of hooked on it, and felt that it was a good deal for what I got... but I was already hooked before I did that.

I'm "pretty sure" (but less so, now) that you won't lose anything when your subscription runs out... but I'm finding lately that I'm getting trapped into things that have to be continually renewed or you lose them. Evernote does have a pretty active forum - you can probably find out more about this there.

Reply With Quote Likes