Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Crafty space atmosphere

After a few busy weeks with no time to sit down to craft, I noticed that I still spent time in my crafty space. There was no specific reason I was there - I just did some light organizing or rearranging supplies and jotting down card ideas. But I realized that just walking into that crafty space made me feel good - calmer, more creative and happier.

In the past, being in my crafty space sometimes felt overwhelming - when I had a last-minute project to wrangle or when I was focused on being very productive. Other times, it felt chaotic with supplies piled up in every corner. Thankfully, those were brief moments and easily overshadowed by the feeling of inspiration and motivation my crafty space hums with on a daily basis.

I decided to embrace the positive atmosphere of my crafty space and make an effort to begin and end every day at my craft desk. I don't need to finish anything, but I give myself permission to play and work on pretty things.

How does being in your crafty area make you feel? And what will you do about it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

My space is in the process of being reconfigured so I can't do much in there right now but I love spending time in there. It's an open basement style room with very little natural light so the walls are painted a beautiful aqua color. My stamping nook is bright orange and bright pink. Furniture is mostly white with some dashes of orange, pink, and green. My husband installed LOTS of outlets and LED light panels to make it nice and bright in there.
It's definitely my happy place and I can't wait until it's new incarnation is complete so I can spend more time in there creating again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 03:20 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

My crafty space looks way overcrowded, which is true. I could use a bigger room with more work surface and more storage. But, this is the best I can do in this house and it is organized and workable. Next house I'm aiming for a more inspiring vibe. Right now, I am what the OP mentioned, overwhelmed, with projects piled sky high. Maybe today I can get one pile out of the way.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 04:16 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

After years of "making do" with mismatched furniture and boxes and bins, I got two matching counter tops to put over white cubes and really got organized. Having a cohesive space makes me feel calm and creative and now everything has a home so I know where to find things. It's still the basement and a small space, but it's my little happy place.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I will come into my craft room and just potter about organnising or moving things around and I love it. I have a day job which has a lot of responsibility and pressure and my craft room no matter whether I am creating or just hanging out helps me relax and 'de-stress'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I have a very tiny studio and like Mary Beth - it used to depress me going in there - because I had too much stuff. I used to think I needed a bigger room, but changing that mindset to needing less stuff changed my world. I pulled 100% of everything out of the room (talk about overwhelming) and sold about half of it in a crafty garage sale, trashed 1/4 of it and the other 1/4 came back into a room that I carefully set up with perfectly functional furniture and work surfaces and it brings me SO much joy now. Everything has a place, and so cleaning up after a creative chaos session just takes minutes. I can't tell you how much it impacted my creativity and serenity.

It took four months to get it done, and we lived with a big pile in our dining area for that time (over the holidays - what was I thinking?) - but I've never done anything more satisfying in my life. I rarely spend time anywhere else in the house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 06:20 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I totally and completely agree with the concept of "needing less stuff". In addition to having things fit in the available footprint, that idea helps me in particular because too many options freezes me in my tracks. I want to use it ALL and, since that's not possible in any given moment, I opt to use NONE if I'm overwhelmed... As I mentioned in a different thread, whoever offered the phrase "carefully curated collection" had EXACTLY the right idea!

My space is one wall and half of the closet in our guest bedroom, so it's kind of a mixed bag. I just solved my last problem (paper, of course), so NOW I'm gearing up to spend considerably more time in there, and to MAKE things instead of just moving them around, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My little room is all mine now and is set up exactly the way I want it and it brings me much happiness. It is only 7' x 11' but I was lucky enough to find exactly the pieces I wanted to go in it too. I am a neatness fanatic and even though I can have paper, inks, stamps etc. over every available surface sometimes.......and the floor, everything has it's place and takes almost no time to put things right again. If getting something done in there is overwhelming I just cut paper or reorganize or something..........it's all a benefit in the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

DH got me a very nice little speaker that I can play my Pandora on. Totally turned my feeling in there around. With music it is very hard for me to stress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so blessed to have an entire bedroom dedicated to crafting. I had a corner desk forever and I hated it. My back was to the door (a HUGE problem for me, can't stand it) so I looked on Craigslist and bought an old wooden HUGE kitchen table. I think I paid $50. It has CHANGED my crafting life. I can sit and see the door and feel like it's more welcoming for my kiddos to come talk to me or visit. The flat space is perfect for the supplies I like to keep out and provides a big work space that I don't have to worry about scratching or getting messy. I spend more time in there than ever. I work full time and even enjoy spending evenings after my boys go to bed winding down there instead of my room. I never realized how one little change could change my entire feeling about that room. YAY for used solid tables!!

The rest of my room is a "work in progress" because I'm still finding ways to organize all my stuff. There are piles everywhere. Some days I ignore those and just work on cards or new projects. Some days I tackle a pile or try to organize one category of things. I know in time I'll find what works for me. Once that is done I would like to create or find some artistic things for decorative items to inspire me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently did a major purge, and that really helped me begin to edge my way back to feeling like my studio was a welcoming place. Now I have only supplies I really love.

But the space needed something. I didn't know what for the longest time. Then it came to me: I had, some years ago, hung a huge, beautiful bulletin board on the wall that is close to the left side of my worktable. It seemed like the perfect thing to do at the time. But I actually couldn't reach most of it, because it was so big. So a week ago, I had a brainstorm. I bought uprights and brackets and three 8-inch-wide/48-inch-long shelves at Home Depot, took down the bulletin board and put up the shelves instead. (Well, I didn't actually do any of the taking down and putting up, I watched while Mr. Wonderful did it for me.) We set the shelves at exactly the perfect height for me to be able to just reach out beside me and grab stuff. Then the bulletin board was remounted in portrait orientation on an unused spot on the opposite wall. I can now reach the whole thing.

Those shelves completely changed the whole flow of the workspace. And for under $50!

I've also recently redefined myself. I am no longer a "really slow" card maker. I am now a "very meditative" card maker. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I've also recently redefined myself. I am no longer a "really slow" card maker. I am now a "very meditative" card maker. !

Love this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I recently did a major purge, and that really helped me begin to edge my way back to feeling like my studio was a welcoming place. Now I have only supplies I really love.
I'm with you -- I am most definitely more creative in a well organized space. Paring down has helped, too -- too much stuff proves overwhelming to me. I've been at this long enough now to know what is and isn't in my wheel house and shop accordingly.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you all for sharing! I love reading that your craft area is a happy place - and all the tips of things that made your craft area a happy place are much welcome.

Speaking of discoveries... I've recently accepted that I'm just "one-of-a-kind" card maker. I've seen a lot of inspiring videos from ladies who make multiple cards based on sketches or layout designs. And I love the idea of making an entire matching card set for a special gift - I mean, who wouldn't love a gorgeous stationary?!

But I just find that I'm never happy with that second (or third) card, even if I love the first card/design. It feels like something's missing and I find myself feeling "meh" - which is not how I want to feel about my creations. So, I've just accepted that no one's going to get that gorgeous stationary box from me. They'll just get a bunch of one-of-a-kind cards, and that's ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel good in my office/craft room - in spite of needing to do some real organizing/culling, both of office and crafty items.

Like for many people, color affects me a lot, so having light robin's egg blue walls and white furniture lifts me, somehow. BTW, I had the wall color and a white desk before I started paper crafting, though continued the white with IKEA pieces.

Some aesthetic parts of the room make me happy - the colors and that my crafting table looks out a large window to a treed yard and a tiny lake. And some functional parts make me happy, like having a separate trimmer station: a small IKEA Linmon table top on expandable legs at just the right height for two trimmers.

I need a couple shelves and to finally attach two IKEA picture ledges to the wall, and do the culling/org. Then I'll be effervescently happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts

I'm also basically a one-of-a-kind card maker. My joy comes from creating a custom card that I think the recipient will find appealing. Occasionally if I come up with a design that I really love, I will make another one or two, but that's not typical for me. I agree with others who find that too much "stuff" stifles creativity .... I need to do a purge in my craft area.

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

I have been working on my craft rooms. Yes rooms. I wish I could say I had one big one but I don't. I have a "stamp room" then a "craft room". I love them both. Now that life is a bit slower for me I decided to reorganize again. I only purged a bit. Part of the problem is I have a lot of Un Finished Objects that need to get done and then I will be freeing up space. I am making it my priority to get them done this summer. So I really organized by putting things into containers and labeling them this time around so when I do a project I am not wasting time looking or wasting money because I don't think I have it. I am almost done with the one room and yes, I go in there before and after work because it is relaxing for me. It is a my happy place and when I leave the room I am one happy Momma!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 04:43 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

@Beth:
Ditto on being inspired by color!

My crafty area is in the corner of my bedroom, so I'm pretty limited in terms of color. Luckily, the bedroom walls are a soothing light sage - which is both neutral and easy on the eyes. But I do bring in lots of color for storage, such as a few bins I got at Target that are peach or mint and a kraft-colored tool caddy with navy stripes. They're my current favorite color combo.

I did recently add a painting just above my crafty desk, too. It's a very traditional impressionistic painting of a charming Parisian street - with lovely bright colors and a gorgeous nostalgic atmosphere. It's been very inspiring, along with making my space feel artful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

It is my haven. Back side of the house-quiet, open the window to hear our Cedar river "noise", put a bit of my favorite Bluegrass music, and the world drifts away. Just like Creative Cardsea, it's a happy space. Just being in there...can't explain it...just love "my room".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2017, 03:08 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I am sharing my space right now (with my husband or whoever happens to be on his computer) and it's driving me crazy. It makes me feel trapped in the corner. I have about a third of the desk space that I had at our previous house, so I don't have room to spread out or leave a project out to work on something else. My supplies are in a large, dark armoire that takes half a wall, with deep shelves in only one section, so everything is stacked, and it's an effort to get things out. I'm just frustrated with the whole situation.

Our house came with an outbuilding that we plan to make into a studio for me, but it's in pretty serious disrepair right now... I'm hoping that will reignite my spark once I'm able to occupy it. DH mentioned building a little wrap-around deck on it, too, so I'm excited about that.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
@Beth:
Ditto on being inspired by color!

My crafty area is in the corner of my bedroom, so I'm pretty limited in terms of color. Luckily, the bedroom walls are a soothing light sage - which is both neutral and easy on the eyes. But I do bring in lots of color for storage, such as a few bins I got at Target that are peach or mint and a kraft-colored tool caddy with navy stripes. They're my current favorite color combo.

I did recently add a painting just above my crafty desk, too. It's a very traditional impressionistic painting of a charming Parisian street - with lovely bright colors and a gorgeous nostalgic atmosphere. It's been very inspiring, along with making my space feel artful.
So nice about the painting! I have a wide, short painting over a horizontal 2x4 Expedit on casters that would work well for shelves, but I can't see removing it.

And ohhh, navy. Kind of obsessed with it - a while back for walls of some clients too. The Container Store bungee chairs are in my space, one a brighter version of the wall, and one silver. But I came *this* close to buying the navy. It wouldn't have played nice on the playground without my changing the room so I reluctantly refrained. One of my favorite inks is the navy from Studio Calico called Deja Blue.

SU has a navy and white card tin that caught my eye but I don't need what's in it. I wish it was sold separately.

I like a serene, light colored space, hence soft blue and white, and then color pops like you mention from cards, washi tape on a holder, books, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2017, 05:01 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I am sharing my space right now (with my husband or whoever happens to be on his computer) and it's driving me crazy. It makes me feel trapped in the corner. I have about a third of the desk space that I had at our previous house, so I don't have room to spread out or leave a project out to work on something else. My supplies are in a large, dark armoire that takes half a wall, with deep shelves in only one section, so everything is stacked, and it's an effort to get things out. I'm just frustrated with the whole situation.

Our house came with an outbuilding that we plan to make into a studio for me, but it's in pretty serious disrepair right now... I'm hoping that will reignite my spark once I'm able to occupy it. DH mentioned building a little wrap-around deck on it, too, so I'm excited about that.
Just shows the space doesn't make the creativity - the person does. (You do.) : )

I hope you get your very own mini-building with deck soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

For the last few weeks my craft room makes me feel stressed. For most of the reasons mentioned above. Overwhelmed by everything not being put back into its perspective space mainly because I kept bring projects into the living room while I watched my grandkids then did a quick "Dump" into the craft room while I gathered new supplies. Now that watching kids are over I have 1 HUGE MESS. BUT......as soon as everything is back in order I LOVE MY SPACE. I cannot wait to relax in there again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Having everything organized makes my craft room (yes, I have an entire extra bedroom for my craft room) my happy place. I also have beautiful solid oak furniture that my DH built to put things in. I have plenty room, so also have plenty stuff. I always said that if I acquired something that wouldn't fit in the appropriate place, something else had to go, and have lived by that. Still, I could manage to store lots of things---too much. Therefore, I have been continually purging since we moved here 3 years ago. Having only things I really use instead of mixd in with things I probably will never use (even if it fits) is so very freeing. Also, I am a neat nick and like to have everything in its place when I am done with a project and cleaning up, is so much easier when there is an exact place for it to go. I am slowly (with coupons) acquiring like containers for all the like embellishments, supplies, etc. Even if all of the brads fit in a drawer, if they are all in a jumble of sizes of containers that you try to keep stacked, it is sometimes too frustrating to actually do it on a regular basis. In addition to that, I like white walls so that my accents can be colorful, or not, be changed on a whim and accommodate the family pictures that I scatter everywhere along with an area to display my artwork (a rail over my big window) and that I get from other crafting friends (a wrought iron piece on the door). My craft room is my sanctuary. Place to call my own and be who I am without apology.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is currently a bit of a tip. I've tripped over my bin twice in the past week (the first time I'd just emptied my pencil sharpener!!!) So I currently don't find it relaxing cos I know it needs a serious tidy and sort out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 04:17 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've a dedicated craftroom and don't share it with anyone. It has lots of storage space, but I've already had to add additional storage. Since this is my third craftroom I've come to the conclusion no floor space available for additional storage is off limits to most crafters, and we're going to manage to find space someway. OMG, i vividly remember asking when I first started why anyone would need a dedicated space, little did I know at the time !!!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

I am hoping my husband finishes the little bit of shelving I need this weekend. I decided before I can purge I need to make the room more functional as I notice I really am an out of sight out of mind girl. Even though I know I have it still forget to use it. Hopefully I am going to fix this problem. I want to use what I have. I told myself I am going to shop in my craft rooms before I make any additional purchases. Great way to free up space and not feel like I have wasted my money. Plus, maybe I will actually get my Christmas projects done early.
Reply With Quote Likes