Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-05-2017, 04:38 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SU Watercolor Wings & dies/Butterfly Punches?

Looks like the is a set of framelits dies for the larger butterfly in Watercolor Wings. Is there a die for the smaller one?

And do the Butterflies in the Papillon set match the Bitty and Elegant punches or not?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 05:25 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,909 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I don't know the answer for your first question, but the papillion butterflies do go with the elegant butterfly and bitty butterfly punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Thank you, they don't say on the website. And they don't give dimensions of the punched shapes, which I find a bit frustrating.

They are equally as cryptic about the Watercolor Wings. Just a picture showing that the larger one used with the framelits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if this is going to answer your question but, there were 2 dies sets released at different times for this stamp set. I can't post a picture but check out this link which shows both:

https://stampwithbrian.com/2015/06/2...ake-this-card/

I was very confused about these myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I confess that I am still confused. He's got the arrow pointing from one die set to the other, which indicates that the smaller thinlit coordinates with the the smaller framelit. The website for sure shows that the larger framelit works with the larger butterfly in the stamp set, but whether the smaller one in that same set coordinates with the smaller butterfly framelit is not shown.

SU could do better with their descriptions. No dimensions, either.

But thanks for that link. Yah, lots of work, piecing that butterfly together like he did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

The thing I love about the Papillon Potpourri butterflies and punches is that the punches are slightly smaller than the stamped outline - so no white borders which I am not a fan of. In fact, I was just using them today and reflecting on how much I like this feature. Of course, they're quite a heavy outline so that helps. I presume that's the set you're referring to, Robin?

I should say that that applies to the two more realistic butterflies. I see them as swallowtails but I've seen other people call them monarchs.

Last edited by Cook22; 05-05-2017 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

That's one of them. Although I had started out with the punches, because I like the shape of SU's butterfly punches and then saw the stamp set. I wondered, though, whether I would use all those patterned stamps, since I always have patterned papers and handmade BG scraps hanging around waiting to be used. Do you find you use all the stamps?

I'm also looking at the Watercolor Wings set, and wondering if it will be as lovely as I think it is. Because that set requires two die sets to complete it. :-0!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #8  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Yes, I think I might have got one of the punches first, and then got the set! I definitely don't use the patterned ones as much, in fact I may only have used the flowery ones. Looking at them now, I must see if stamping the solid stamp and then stamping flowers on it looks pretty, and doesn't give a white border when punched. I still think it's a great set to have - one can so often add a butterfly to a card. Watercolour Wings...I'm not so keen on two and three step stamping, and I definitely prefer rubber so I never even really thought about getting that one, but I have seen beautiful cards made with it. You have a Scan n Cut or something, don't you - so would you really need the dies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I wondered about that. But unless I lined up the layers absolutely perfectly, I'd get a weird fussy cut with the machine because it follows the edge of the image so faithfully. I could line up the layers using my Misti I suppose.

Having a S&C has not meant that I have stopped buying dies.

Besides, the die sets include those intricate overlays, which I think I'd like.

The punches, I like the idea that I could use them with or without the stamps. And those particular punches have a very graceful shape.

I did go look at some cards made with the Watercolor Wings and they did appeal to me. And I have given up on preferring rubber because it's more about the image to me. If it only comes in PP, and I like it, then I'll buy it.

I guess I just talked myself into buying all of it. I can't see anything to do with butterflies going unused in my craft room. I have to stop myself putting them on everything. ;)

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-05-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #10  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Buy it and enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I did! ;) (The buying part. The enjoying part is yet to come...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Well, I got them. Here's what I find very strange. The photopolymer set contains layers for two butterflies, one larger than the other. I also bought a set of thinlits and a set of framelits, because it looked like they coordinated with the set. And they seem to. But it's odd how they broke them up:

SU Watercolor Wings & dies/Butterfly Punches?-framelits.jpg

SU Watercolor Wings & dies/Butterfly Punches?-thinlits-.jpg

The open die in each set coordinates with the two butterflies in the set. The small intricate die in the set of two fits over the small one in the set and the smaller of the two intricate dies in the other fits over the bigger of the set. The largest intricate die is a loner.

And one set are "framelits" while the other is labeled "thinlits".

I'm glad I got both sets, because they will work with the stamps, but find the way they were split up weird and also why is one set "thinlits" and the others "framelits"? They both have a "frame" die in them and also intricate dies.

Just puzzling to me. But I'm glad it all does coordinate as I thought it would.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I think this is how it's supposed to work:
If it's a frame around the image (or most of the dies in the set are this type), they're called framelits.
If the dies provide extra detail (not just cut around the shape), then they're thinlits.

So the top one is a Framelit (technically, only one is but...) and the second one is listed as a Thinlet because 2 of the three have the extra detail thing going. This is my guess, but I'm looking through the catalog and this seems to fit what I'm seeing.

It confuses me, too. But I had to answer because I haven't been able to come close to figuring anything else out today...LOL

Reply With Quote Likes