Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-05-2017, 04:10 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Making # 8 tags into cards?

I guess you just use one piece of cardstock and there's a lot of waste. Like 4 or 5 by 7 inch? Just fold a piece in half and cut it down.

I've been working with tags for a change of pace and would like to be able to make them into cards.

But then you'd have to make an envelope to fit it, unless you just mailed it in a standard letter envelope (which would be too big). I have an envelope board. Have not used it much, but I know how to.

Has anyone done this and could you give me some info? What size card do you make to put the tag on? What kind of paper do you use for the envelope? Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I guess no one does this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would size the tag to fit the card. Maybe 2.5 x 4 catty-corner on an A2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

No, the point is that I am liking working on the #8 tag and want to do something with it when I'm done. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is a #8 tag?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

It's the size of those manila tags you see Tim Holtz using for everything he does. The actual dimensions are 6 and 1/4 by 3 and 1/8 inches.

Here's what they look like if you buy them:

Ranger Manila Tags

You can also make them out of any kind of paper. I have a die that will do this, part of a set of various sizes, this being the largest. It's just a nice change of pace to work on something this size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

#8 tags are 3 1/8" x 6 1/4", technically. If you wanted to just keep the tag as is with perhaps something on the back (think postcard), they would fit in a #6 3/4 envelope, which is 3 5/8" x 6 1/2". Here is the selection available at Staples: Business Envelopes, #6 3/4

If you wanted to make a card to fit the tag, I'd suggest 5" x 7", probably, if you wanted to stay standard.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I don't think I do want to stay standard. At this point I kind of have in mind to make the card not much bigger than the tag, so I don't have to do anything to the card, it's just a BG. I guess then it's going to be about using one whole piece of cardstock for a card, with trimmings left over. They'll get used.

I had hoped/kind of assumed that there might be someone here who regularly did this. I've done all of Tim's classes on Online Card Classes, and he only works on tags, which I often found frustrating, but recently I've been having a mojo crisis, and thought that maybe I should try working in some new format, and I have all these manila tags. It has been fun getting outside the A2 card mindset. So I want to continue for as long as it's fun, but I also don't want to stop ending up with cards.

I just need to get some paper to make the envelopes. Copy paper seems awfully thin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I made a card that was 4 1/4" x 6 3/4", so maybe close to what you have in mind. It's the first attachment below (the sentiment panel is 3 1/8" x 5 1/4"). The second attachment is a 5" x 7". Don't know if that helps, but maybe it'll trigger what you're actually looking for...? Or, if you're just looking for input on the envelopes, some of the cheaper brands of scrapbook paper are generally thin enough for envelopes, but have more durability than copy paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Making # 8 tags into cards?-old_bermuda_night_birthday_by_gregzgurl.jpg   Making # 8 tags into cards?-hycct1522_play_in_the_sun_by_gregzgurl.jpg  

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-05-2017 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Unsure of original comment, wanted to revise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 03:54 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Sue. Yeah, I was playing around with card sizes that would work with a tag, without leaving a lot of extra space, and I came up with something close to your first example. But the easiest thing might just be to make 5X7 cards and do something fairly simple for a BG, like DP. Then I could buy envelopes easily. I have a couple of EFs that are sized for 5X7's too.

By scrapbook paper, do you mean 12X12 DP? Or something else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 04:52 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I couldn't find the horizontal image that was in my brain, but this card might give you an idea of how to use the tag almost as the card itself (adhering it to a slightly wider piece of CS) and as a closure. IOW, since it already has the hole, using it. Or not - may not be your cuppa. Enjoy though.

Scallop Tag Topper - Fun Fold Card with Flower Patch - Stamps To Die For
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 05:14 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Yes, that's kinda interesting. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Thanks, Sue. Yeah, I was playing around with card sizes that would work with a tag, without leaving a lot of extra space, and I came up with something close to your first example. But the easiest thing might just be to make 5X7 cards and do something fairly simple for a BG, like DP. Then I could buy envelopes easily. I have a couple of EFs that are sized for 5X7's too.

By scrapbook paper, do you mean 12X12 DP? Or something else?
I meant 12 x 12 DP. You can get it in basic colors/patterns in a "stack" for fairly cheap - especially if you use a coupon or it's on sale.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Thanks. I have sort of settled on using 5X7 envelopes, which I can buy, and with 5X7 cards or 4X7, depending on what I do behind then tag and how much room I want to play with. The 4X7 cards won't fit perfectly into the 5X7 envelopes, but I ordered some 12x12 DP so I can make envelopes if the extra room in the 5x7 bothers me.

I can also mount the tags onto a single piece of cardstock. I found an easel die I bought a while back. I could send them out as mounted tags with the message on the front and they would stand up.

Big plans. We will see what comes of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I always thought he used tags just for easy sampling demos. I have heard of people trading tags like ATGs. Does he have any thing in his site gallery using them Rachel? I found this which sounds like he might be moving away from tags:
the ?12 tags? decade? | Tim Holtz

One idea might be to use two and hinge on the hole with either a brad or tie with string to be the card? It is a pretty big size.

Thinking about the math-unless you are willing to shave some off, I dont see an economical way to get base cards. If you go down to 6 even, you could do strips on a 12 x 12 with the fold on the narrow (or top fold)...if you go to 3 even, you could get 2 in the other direction (side fold) with waste on the top. But both of those are making the base the exact size of the tag. If you want border, then yes, you are going to have excess for your scrap bin.

I just got a die from Elixabeth Craft on sale that might interest you. It turns an A2 into a tag format. They do have more than one style but I dont know if all are on sale. It would solve the base card issue.

https://www.elizabethcraftdesigns.co...ore-7-vine-960
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I think that blog post just means that he is going to stop doing the "12 tags of..." series, where he makes one a month.

That is a nice die set. I do have a set of plain tag dies, from #8 down. Also some round ones from PTI.

It's just been fun working on the tags, it's amazing what changing up the size or shape of your "canvas" can do to reinvigorate you.

I don't know how far I'll go with this, but I am resigned to using a full sheet of paper for each card if I make cards using my tags. Like you said, there will be scraps, but I'll use those.

Most people seem to leave tags as just tags, as far as I can see from my poking around on the internet.

I'm not giving up on A2 cards either. This is just another direction I found myself going in and am exploring the possibilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 05:50 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

I think you are right. I dont see him ever stopping using tags at least for demos. Kind of a trademark?

New stuff is cool. And you are totally right imo, it refreshes the mojo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I use them on cards once in awhile, but mostly I use them for bookmarks. I know what you mean by changing things up now and then. Like ATC cards. Different ways to make cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Rachel, I make envelopes from calendar pages. Some are cheap calendars from Micheals for 50 cents, and those are for 'handing out' envies, not for mailing. I like a bit heavier for mailing-style envies. Also I do use DP from stacks I bought and will never use some designs on cards...sometimes I put those designs on the inside of the envie.
Also, if you are making your own with the envelope punch board, be sure to check the Post Office website for minimum/maximum envelope measurements to fit your creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2017, 04:06 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I wish that envelope punch board was a bit bigger. With larger envelopes, you have to turn the paper and align the paper to the score groove to complete the score. Not a big thing, but just makes it harder to get the thing done perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

I didnt know that about the board. Good heads up! When does that happen? On a 5 x 7?

I had an idea. Maybe it's dumb. I have a little man carrying a flower that I can easily mask out so I can make him carry most anything.

What if you had a little character carrying the tag on the face of the card?

You could also do a front pocket the tag goes into.

You could use the tag set to make an interesting shape shaker card.

Using acetate, you could make it look like a luggage tag with a special message.

I like that idea of making the tag a bookmark.
What I am doing is thinking of ways to use the extra space on a bigger card.

In the end...there is no rule that says you have to stick to standard card sizes. I see people cut down cards all the time to suit their design. In fact if you want to pop the tag etc it is better if you have a bigger envie to take the dimension right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 03:37 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love using the tags on cards. I use the reg size cards and do some background coloring on it..set the tag at an angle ...use either colored string, soft ribbon or twine through the hole depending on theme of tag. I do a lot of tags ahead and they are ready when I need for a card. I too have taken all Tim Holtz's classes and have learned a lot of new ideas. The raindrops stamp is a wonderful background on the tags...so many different ideas. Lots of fun with tags!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 03:45 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I'm experimenting with a 3.5 X 7 or 4 x 7 card at the moment. As you say, why not? I can make an envelope for it, or just use a 5 X 7, I have no problem with the envelope being a little wider than the card.

If I do actaul 5 X 7 cards, then using the extra space will be something to think about. Thanks for throwing out some suggestions. I have a few 5 X 7 EFs, and maybe I'll get more to create an interesting BG (It's hard to find a 5 X 7 BG stamp, I am discovering). But elements can hang off the sides of the tag to take up space. 5 X 7 does look a bit dauntingly big when you are used to A2 cards! It's amazing how much bigger they look, when it's really just inches.

I also have an steel rule easel die. I could cut a panel to mount the tag on, have the sentiment on the front, and then it could be stood up.

So many ideas... I am just finishing up two tags and am intending do something with them. If and when I do, I'll upload them. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 03:49 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Dianne, we posted at the same time, so I didn't see your post until I put up mine. You don't seem to have a gallery here. Do you have a blog? I'd love to see what kind of things you do with your tags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 05:31 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

I will try to put some pictures up but will have to learn more about how to do it...I don't use background stamps I use Tim holtz paper to frame card and use distress inks on it before placing tag. Just a muted background. I will work on some pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting ideas! I wonder if a business-sized envelope would work? It might be long to use for the larger Tim Holtz size tag, which I just added to the thread about 'what is my favorite die'. I like the idea of using something to hinge two of them together, like a "book." I've also seen people folding the tag in 1/2 to use as a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here in the UK we have DL cards which means double length. We take a sheet of a4 card and score at 4&1/8" along the long edge and fold and cut away the excess.
With US letter sized card i'd score at 4.25", fold and cut away excess.....assuming you can get envelopes to fit.
DL envelopes are what a lot of businesses use here so maybe you have something similar in the States.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

I have made a few cards using 3 5/8" x 6.5" envelopes using letter size paper. I cut two 11" x 3 3/8" pieces from the letter sized cardstock and then fold them at 6.25". That makes one of the ends short - I put it at the back. I trim the scrap I have leftover to make two pieces to add to the two cards. I add a label on the back to adhere the little pieces to the cards. You could add the scrap to the front instead and then add your tag as a background and any embellishments or greetings over that.

ART - just do it!: Cards with a variety of greetings for a gift

I could provide more instructions if this is not clear.

Therese
Moved Permanently
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
Interesting ideas! I wonder if a business-sized envelope would work? It might be long to use for the larger Tim Holtz size tag, which I just added to the thread about 'what is my favorite die'. I like the idea of using something to hinge two of them together, like a "book." I've also seen people folding the tag in 1/2 to use as a card.
By the larger size you mean the #10? That's 4 1/8 wide, and a business envelope is exactly that (and 9 1/2 inches long), so it might be a very tight fit, and impossible unless your tag is really flat.

I've not worked on that size tag yet. Even bigger!

I see that they call that size a "journalling tag". I've seen a steel ruled die for it, so you could use any kind of substrate you wanted. That's what you have? Tags of that size would make a nice book. And I've always thought journalling in an already bound book wasn't as much fun as working on separate pages. Because of the mistakes, of course. If I don't like a page, I wouldn't want it in the book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I make lots of tags, #8. Love that size. I attach used cardboard from cereal or other packaged food boxes to the backs to make them heavier. I write or stamp the verse or write a note on the back but also do background designs to match the fronts. I add lots of embellishments so when I mail one, it goes in a padded mailer. I usually hand them out. Sorry, I tried to add photo, but it did not work.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I haven't read all the replies, so I don't know if anyone has suggested this already. I've made lots of tags in classes, and what I do is cut off the top part with the hole. I cut the remaining piece into rectangles (for use as backgounds), or I die-cut shapes out of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

I thought of that. But part of the fun of working with a tag is figuring out what to do with the top of it! And making it into a discrete entity unto itself. I could easily cut them up. But then it wouldn't be all that different than just working on a piece of manilla paper.

I'm sure I'll end up cutting the tags that don't work out into pieces, though! ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
I think I would size the tag to fit the card. Maybe 2.5 x 4 catty-corner on an A2.
I do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I just got a die from Elixabeth Craft on sale that might interest you. It turns an A2 into a tag format. They do have more than one style but I dont know if all are on sale. It would solve the base card issue.

https://www.elizabethcraftdesigns.co...ore-7-vine-960
wavejumper, it interested me. I tried not to be interested in it, but this morning I succumbed. Those sets are just too pretty. Whether they bring forth card bases or tags, we'll see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I wish that envelope punch board was a bit bigger. With larger envelopes, you have to turn the paper and align the paper to the score groove to complete the score. Not a big thing, but just makes it harder to get the thing done perfectly.
I don't know that you'd want to "upgrade," but for anyone who doesn't have an Envelope Punch Board already, the 1-2-3 Punch Board is great! It makes bows & boxes in addition to envelopes. But I think the coolest feature is that it has a swing-out arm on the front edge of the board, that extends the scoring grooves on the right hand side for envelopes. So if your paper is larger than the punch board, the arm adds another 5 or 6 inches (give or take) to the scoring grooves. It also makes it easier to make dimensional envelopes, for thicker cards, though I don't know that I'd send them through the mail. No math involved with that particular punch board, though, for those! HTH!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Klimt Tag Card

It has begun.

This card required far too much time doing math than it should have. And in the end, I realized I was being an idiot. All I had to do is get the thing the right height and a width that could be easily halved, score it in the middle, fold it and then shave off what I needed to on either end. Instead of figuring out the size of the whole sheet and hoping there was a groove where I needed it to be on my Scor Pal.

It's 3 1/2 X 7.

Maybe next time I'll try a 5 X 7.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

:cool:

It happens that way with me a lot. In fact, I want it to. I dont feel *as* guilty as I do when I impulse buy. lol

That first card is great! There you go! This is the hard part time. You will work out the measurements, write them down and be good forever!

Over time you will have more ideas! Maybe if you think about how to do it for a theme/holiday.

BTW 5 x 7 BG stamping...I have a bunch of 6 x 6 and then I just have some border, but you can do an extension by stamping again...if you are like me, and cant marry the seam well at all-that can be where a sentiment panel or ribbon goes...

OR you make your own by stamping a small image repeatedly.

Or do a split-half Dp and half stamped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Thank you! It's going out as a birthday card next week.

I have THREE of those tag die sets coming, one in each size. They were just irresistable to me. One is off Amazon, because it was sold out on the ECD site, and there was one comment for it, in which the person said she was very disappointed to find that it wasn't a die for a whole tag, but just the top. I guess if I hadn't seen the video by Els I would have been taken aback, but having seen it, I can see the genuis of it. Why do you need the bottom part, when it's just a square? Much better to be able to determine your own tag length.

And I have a lot (TOO MANY) 6X6 BG stamps, and I was wondering how I might use them on bigger/taller cards. You are so right, just put a ribbon or another long element to cover the seam!

I do have one 5X7 EF and ordered three more.

I think I will take the tag I'm working on now and take a big breath and do a 5x7 with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Go for it! Your first card turned out FABULOUS! You're inspiring me to get inky, so thanks for that, too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

Go for it!

There is also faking a BG...Just do the edges around your central panel LOL.

If all you do is clear emboss, I think the seam is less noticeable and it's a nice look.

I do try to get as many 5 x 7 EFs as I can. Those are around-Darice carries them. Sometimes in both sizes so pay attention. Their EFs go on sale a lot too for 2 bucks.
Here are a few at Consumer Crafts for full price-3 bucks.

https://www.consumercrafts.com/store...7%20inches&o=0

Oh wow...you got three of the die sets? I need to play with one first. I went with leaves-those are pretty for me.
Reply With Quote Likes