Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default penny slider cards but no pennies

Hi I am just wondering you know the slider/spinner cards of which theres lots of dies you can get to do these cards im just wondering the penny is used to weight the image (often a stamped one) down and then that helps it slide on the track however in Australia we dont have pennies and so what else can i use???

I have heard of cardboard circles but someone on their blog said that the penny had more weight they mentioned something about using a metal washer (assume the one that stops the taps leaking) so i know what they are but she said covered in cardboard so how would you cover the washer in cardboard???

Just wanting to make these cards and wondering what you all do???

thanks for your help

from Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Do you have no small coins in your currency? In my experience cardboard punched circles aren't quite heavy enough to give a good spin. The problem with washers is the hole in the centre - your foam tape will tend to stick somewhat through the hole to the card base and inhibit the spin. I wonder if that's what your friend is referring to? If you punched a circle from paper and stuck that to the bottom of the underneath washer, that would solve that issue. The top washer wouldn't matter because it will have the spinning element stuck to it. If the holes in the washers are bigger than your dimensional foam dots, though, you would need to cover both sides of each washer with a thin circle of paper or card, to give the foam something to stick to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Im unsure how heavy a penny is and never made this type of card before and so im.not sure what size the coin has to be we have a 5 cent 10 cent but theyre not heavy therea no way im using a $1 or $2 coin it would be awfully expensive

Are there anyone from Australia who can suggest what they do? ? I have never made the card so unsure how it works either though ive watched videos and like how they move/spin

It was on stampowl studio blog that i read about the washer she's in Australia but i just wondered what other people do i have never been to US so do not know the size oe weight of a penny that would certainly help i thought our 5 and 10 cent would be too light the 20 possibly too big anf the 50 is not circular i think has 8 or 10 sides then it goes to $1 and $2

Thanks for advice about washer hopefully theres some other people from Australia on here who can say what they do!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

The US Mint website says a penny is 2.5 grams in weight, 1.52 mm thickness and 19.05 mm in diameter.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 02:57 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

This question came up on one of our tutorials, and the author mentioned an alternative:

"Buttons also will work. I used a 5/8" diameter (15mm) button for the flower card. I have used both plastic and metal buttons. Metal ones work especially nice because of the weight."
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I use washers, size depending on the stamped motive and space on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 07:03 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
The US Mint website says a penny is 2.5 grams in weight, 1.52 mm thickness and 19.05 mm in diameter.
Warning: nerd alert!

Unless before 1982.

"United States pennies minted after 1982 weigh 2.5 grams, or 0.088 ounces. These pennies are 2.5 percent copper and 97.5 percent zinc. Before 1982, pennies weighed 3.11 grams, or 0.110 ounces. They were 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc, which is a form of bronze."

You can see the difference in old and new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #8  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I use 2 or 5 cent coins. It doesn't have to be really heavy, just heavier than circles punched from card would be. Although I did once make one with two layers of chipboard for each "penny", and that had enough weight to spin quite satisfactorily. I would think most buttons would be much bulkier, meaning you'd need to raise the top panel up further from the base. Try it with two 5 cent coins and see how it works. You don't have to make a full card, just make a mock-up with the track for it to spin along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
Im unsure how heavy a penny is and never made this type of card before and so im.not sure what size the coin has to be we have a 5 cent 10 cent but theyre not heavy therea no way im using a $1 or $2 coin it would be awfully expensive

Are there anyone from Australia who can suggest what they do? ? I have never made the card so unsure how it works either though ive watched videos and like how they move/spin

It was on stampowl studio blog that i read about the washer she's in Australia but i just wondered what other people do i have never been to US so do not know the size oe weight of a penny that would certainly help i thought our 5 and 10 cent would be too light the 20 possibly too big anf the 50 is not circular i think has 8 or 10 sides then it goes to $1 and $2

Thanks for advice about washer hopefully theres some other people from Australia on here who can say what they do!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

This is what the australian mint says sounds like our 5 cent is a bit like a penny (in size and weight) thanks for your help when i get the slider die i will do a mock up now i know what to use for the "penny"

the 5 cent is now the smallest in australian currency they got rid of 1 and 2 cent coins in the mid 1980s so now we have 5 cent as the lowest coin

Composition: 75% Copper - 25% Nickel
Shape: Circular
Edge: Milled
Mass: 2.83 grams
Diameter: 19.41 millimetres
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Originally australia had a penny but it was REALLY big loads bigger than the 5 cent coin is or the US penny and so i think i just assumed it was big like that....but it actually isnt LOL as i said never travelled to the US so never seen a penny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 AM   #11  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I think we will eventually lose our 1 and 2 cent coins, they cost too much to make! Some EU countries already don't use them, and some stores here round up or down to the nearest 5 cent. I remember our old pre-decimal penny, it certainly was big!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 02:47 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I think we will eventually lose our 1 and 2 cent coins, they cost too much to make! Some EU countries already don't use them, and some stores here round up or down to the nearest 5 cent. I remember our old pre-decimal penny, it certainly was big!!

Here they would price at 198 or whatever then round up the total i guess thats why we lost ours,,, i kept some to one day (hopefully) show our kids we got rid of most of them but being into coins i think i kept 10 of each one as a special reminder!!!

thanks for all your help now i cant wait to make it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
I have heard of cardboard circles but someone on their blog said that the penny had more weight they mentioned something about using a metal washer (assume the one that stops the taps leaking) so i know what they are but she said covered in cardboard so how would you cover the washer in cardboard???
The washers that stop taps from leaking are made of rubber or plastic; those are the wrong kind. The ones you'd want are the ones used with screws in wood or metal - they are made of metal, usually steel or zinc. They come in all different sizes, but they all have a hole in the middle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #14  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, I was just about to point out that you'd use rubber type washers to fix a tap. You can buy packs or loose individual galvanised ones at Hardware stores like Bunnings. I've never made a spinner card, so have no idea on size/weight required. I know our 5c coins weight very little, but metals washers of similar size also weight very little. Just searched Bunnings website - 12c for smallest washer. A bit cheaper in bulk. So, the cost per card will depend on the size/weight required.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2017, 04:58 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyNYView Post
The washers that stop taps from leaking are made of rubber or plastic; those are the wrong kind. The ones you'd want are the ones used with screws in wood or metal - they are made of metal, usually steel or zinc. They come in all different sizes, but they all have a hole in the middle.
I've not thought of metal washers! This is an excellent tip Daisy!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm from New Zealand, and sourced some metal washers like those above at a local emporium. They are about the size of a 10c coin, and the hole in the middle is smaller than a dimensional, so they work well. Otherwise I use a 10 or 20c coin. They are fine. I've even used plastic acetate circles, and although not heavy they do spin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I've made a spinner card at a card class in Bunbury, Western Australia, using 5c coins and they worked well. Metal washers would cost a lot less - we just raided the hostess's husband's coin jar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

if i was gonna use a washer, which is an AWESOME idea by the way, I would just put a piece of small thin cardboard on each side of it, to make a solid surface needed to attach the slider to it how ever means one chooses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canada has done away with the penny. I haven't checked the price of washers....would they be more than a penny each? Thankfully, I still have access to US pennies, so I don't have to worry right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I live in Canada so we have no penny anymore but I have a stockpile. Anyways My Favorite Things sells "Spin & Slide Disks". They are tiny little plastic things that you use instead of a penny. They work really well.

I am not sure if you are able to get MFT locally in Australia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #21  

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
The problem with washers is the hole in the centre - your foam tape will tend to stick somewhat through the hole to the card base and inhibit the spin.
I would think, besides gluing paper to the other side of the washer, if you applied powder from a powder tool/pouch (like you use for embossing) to the area of the foam tape that shows through the washer hole, it would eliminate the stickiness. I've never tried a washer (great idea, btw), but will definitely give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes