Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts
Default May 2017 - VSBN Merry Month of May

Welcome to our Merry Month of May Challenges!

"You are as welcome as the flowers in May."
~Charles Macklin

Please visit these holidays in May with us and join in the 5 challenges to spark your scrapbooking this month.
First let's visit Mexico as we celebrate "Cinco de Mayo" on the 5th. Next, hold onto your fancy hat and check out the Kentucky Derby while you sip a mint julep on the first Saturday in May at Churchill Downs, Louisville, Kentucky. Next holiday is Mother's Day, on the second Sunday. Next we show our gratitude on the third Saturday for the men and women of the Armed Forces who are necessary to help keep peace in this world. Our final challenge is about the delight of the entire month as we celebrate with music.

First and foremost, we invite you to join in for the fun!
1. Be sure to use the Keyword VSBN17May
2. Once you post your layout, please post a link to your post in this thread. We don't want to miss sharing what we accomplish!
3. May 31st is the last day of the month, so that is your goal! This is a challenge to get scrapping!
4. And, finally, have fun!

Last edited by Lmn; 08-08-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,301 Likes on 936 Posts

Yay....the May challenge is here. Thank you Joyce Ann and I have to figure out how I can work the last photos of our son into the challenge but there's lots here to work with.

Happy day.
Monthly: MMJ Challenge….
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:01 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Inspiration
Challenge #1. Cinco De Mayo � Celebrated on the 5th day of May.

Create a layout celebrating your heritage. Keyword: VSBN17May

Topics to scrap: What part of the world did you grow in? Is there a practice unique to your family, or a common one your family celebrates each year (or used to)?
Growing up in the South there was always plenty of sweet iced tea and fresh baked biscuits or cornbread at our meal. I remember as a child playing outside on Christmas day with friends, summer evenings in the yard with adults sitting outside nearby, catching fireflies in a jar. We always opened one gift on Christmas Eve, made real hot Hershey�s cocoa on Christmas morning, and listened to the Nutcracker during the day.

For your layout, you may choose to:
(1) use Mexican colors (whether it is your heritage or not),
(2) spotlight 5 (cinco) of something,
(3) or find inspiration in this photo.

Hacienda Architecture
- With a vast architectural heritage spanning four centuries, Mexican haciendas express a rugged, romantic beauty with their arched silhouettes, rich colors, and natural materials. (photo credit Hacienda Style : HACIENDA DESIGN Mexican Hacienda Design, Hacienda Architecture, Mexican Kitchens)

Photo Inspiration:
a. Think of this as a sketch with its frame of a central arch, symmetry on both sides of equal space but spotlighting different elements per side. Place photos so they balance each other on the page in weight. (Maybe vertically, with 2 smaller cropped and a tall single, or central main photo?)
b. Be inspired to use any of the natural elements that are present - the bright sunshine, the vines and palms, and the various stones. (Maybe a central design with a strong base and borders on the sides.)
c. There is plenty of shading, contrast and reflections. How can you represent this on your page? (Do you see a color scheme? Perhaps of contrasting blue and orange on a tan or yellow neutral with pops of white and green?)
Attached Thumbnails
May 2017 - VSBN Merry Month of May-ch-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:09 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Recipe

Callenge #2. Kentucky Derby - Celebrated on the 1st Saturday in May

Your Keyword: VSBN17May

Called �The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports�, there are few American sporting events with the history and popularity of the Kentucky Derby. It�s rich traditions include sipping a mint julep, donning a beautiful hat, and joining fellow race fans in singing �My Old Kentucky Home� � making it a celebration of southern culture and a true icon of Americana. The Kentucky Derby is the longest running sporting event in the United States, dating back to 1875. The race is often referred to as "The Run for the Roses�" and has continuously produced �the most exciting two minutes in sports�; uninterrupted, even when coinciding with profound historical events like The Great Depression and World Wars I & II.

Here is your Kentucky Derby recipe: Use �two of something� plus the following �ingredients� to produce your layout

a. Something �minty�, like the color of light, minty green.
b. A cascade of flowers � like the draping of the winning horse. This can be as simple as a cluster of flowers to multiple stamped flourishes with bling. It�s up to you, do this your way.
c. A hat, either in a photograph or added with stamping, sticker, or patterned paper.

Last edited by AnniePanda; 05-01-2017 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:23 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Origins

Challenge #3. Mothers day � Celebrated the Second Sunday of May

Let�s pay honor to the origins of scrapbooking and birth with an excuse to use items from our stash.

Even before the invention of the camera Scrapbooks were being used to collect mementos such as quotes, poems, calling cards, religious prayer cards, paper cutouts, and other ephemera. The reasons for scrapbooking then still hold today. It�s about expressing one�s thoughts, feelings and sentiments. It�s about preserving memories, special moments and recording family stories. In 1826, a book called Manuscript Gleanings and Literary Scrap Book was published and created by a man named John Poole. This taught people how to fill their own scrapbook with printed poems and engravings. The book also advised people on how to collect scraps and what to do with the scraps.

Perhaps you have photos of newborns, birthdays, or vacation shots of historic places depicting origins in your history. Photos of a mother and child will always be special.

Your challenge is to use papers and embellishments from what you have on hand, the older the better. Like the old folks say �Waste not, want not!� Find some ephemera you have been saving (or forgotten you had) and tuck it on your layout. You can make your own embellishments with cutouts too. Depending on whether you choose to scrap mom or that trip to Old Town, use some lace, twine, or string perhaps. If you haven�t been using your paints, sprays and stencils, how about adding something made from a multi-media technique? Emboss something to use as embellishment. Your playground is wide open for this � use as much or as little of the ideas as you like, just make it fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Color

Challenge #4. Armed forces � 3rd Saturday in May

Here in the US there are likely to be parades. That means a chance to come together to salute those members of the armed forces within our community. We wave flags, hang banners, wear red, white, and blue.
Here is your chance to incorporate some flags and banners on your page. Perhaps you will build your layout on large pieces cut to the shapes of flags, or hand a row of pretty banners or flags.

Although it would be nice to see some red, white and blue, your color scheme may be anything happy or bright.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:36 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Music

Challenge #5. Sounds of May - May is better hearing month

"May, queen of blossoms,
And fulfilling flowers,
With what pretty music
Shall we charm the hours?
Wilt thou have pipe and reed,
Blown in the open mead?
Or to the lute give heed
In the green bowers."
~Lord Edward Thurlow.

For this challenge you are encouraged to be inspired by
the 3 "B's": Birds, Bands, and Beethoven.

Pick at least one item from each category.

Category 1. For Birds your challenge is to use a bird image or related imagery to the genre such as feathers, eggs, nest material like string, leaves.
Category 2. Use any words from a song produced by a favorite band. Use any way you like: set your title with words from the lyrics, add snippets of the words in the body, or something as imagery from the words.
Category 3. Be inspired by classical music. You are challenged to use something pertaining to a musical instrument, sheet music or a music symbol or note.

Last edited by AnniePanda; 05-01-2017 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Another wow moment with the monthly challenges.....I've already decided on my photos for Challenge #2 and can't wait to get started. I don't know how you ladies think up all of these ideas, but I love them. Thank you again Joyce Ann...I'm ready to play. Hugs jx
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Joyce Ann, you have outdone yourself on these challenges! Wow! I won't be able to do anything till Wednesday. But, I do have a fairly clean craft room to begin in! ;) And while I was cleaning I found some photos I forgot I had of a long ago vacation!
I also, might be beginning of some heritage photos. I will just have to see how it works with the challenges. I have lots of photos I haven't even printed! LOL Lots of choices.
Thank you Joyce!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm excited to do all five of these challenges this month. I'm going to a Scrapbooking Retreat this weekend and plan on working on our Mexico cruise trip. (Perfect for the 1st challenge!) And I need to scrap some concert photos that DD & I went to in February - perfect for #5. I've got this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #11  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking Yay May!

I'm with the WOW Fan Club! All of these are AWESOME! Now to get some MOJO on Natl Scrapbooking Day and get some pages done :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Wow some great challenges! Thanks Joyce Ann

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I finally have all five samples of challenge layouts posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Great pages, Joyce Ann! I will try to work on the challenges this week-end. I have photos for two of the layouts already picked out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Out On The Weekend...With A Little Help From My Friends

Out on the Weekend With A Little Help From My Friends by Ozpom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Happy National Scrapbooking Day everyone.
Here's a 2 page LO I started yesterday and have just completed today...Yay!

This is for Challenge #5 - Music (I decided to start with what I had photo wise and run with that ;) )

Category 1: I used patterned paper depicting trees and birds and used string on my photos

Category 2: This was tricky as although I love music, most of my favourite albums or songs are very lovey dovey , so I decided to try and find a song or album from our collection that was right for the LO. My hubby is a big fan of Neil Young so "Out on the Weekend" is from his first Neil Young album "Harvest". We both also like the Beatles and Joe Cocker so on the tag is "With a Little Help From My Friends". Seems appropriate for this LO

Category 3: Music Paper & Music Stickers added

The LO is our son with various friends at 3 separate summer music festivals. The Post-it notes don't add to the LO but I need to respect their privacy. Not sure what our son will say having his photo plasted all over this site.....LOL. ;)

Thank you for taking time to look at my LO. Happy weekend and I'm on a roll.....Challenge #2 here I come.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 12:36 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Just Amazing

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnniePandaView Post
I finally have all five samples of challenge layouts posted!
Thank you again Joyce Ann for these challenges, and wow, wow, wow...your LO's are amazing. Thank you for sharing. Happy weekend jx
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default VSBN17MAY - #2: Flower Power at the Races

Flower Power at the Races by Ozpom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here's my LO for Challenge#2.

When I saw Joyce Ann's challenge relating to the Kentucky Derby, I had just the photos for our own National Race Day....Melbourne Cup Day. Our son and his friends went to Melbourne for this event in 2015. Unfortunately the only photos he had were of them looking dapper and no horses, so I was on the net (again) printing off scenes from the actual day.

This is a busy LO but I think I managed to keep to the challenge:

2 photos were used
Mint Green bazzill yardstick and also mint green flowers
There's definitely a cascade of flowers....I had to use as many as I could to cover up what I didn't like LOL
There's hats on the riders (including the winner...female jockey with a green hat) and also the lady on the poster for the 2015 event is wearing a nice little hat...it sort of gives it a vintage look don't you think?

I decided to leave the photos and not cover up faces for this LO...our son has them plastered on the net anyway and most people who attend this event love to get their photo in the limelight LOL.

Thanks for the challenge Joyce Ann and thanks everyone for taking time to look at my LO. This will be my last one this weekend. Tomorrow is poppet day (grandchildren) and golf

Happy weekend everyone.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I just posted Challenge #2. I hope it was ok to use pocket page style instead of the classic 12x12 layout.
Catalina Island Adventure by doorknocker3 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Challenge #1 done! My husband and I are both from Mexico descent and our biggest regret is that neither one of us really learned the language. Both parents and grandparents speak Spanish but we only know a little. Anyhow, here's my layout:
You Anchor Me by doorknocker3 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Here is mine or #3.
VSBN17May #3 A Tribute sm by smadson - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

I got #1 and #3 finished today.

#1: I used 5 pictures on page featured on left side of double page spread.
Fly Fishing by Shirleysgirl - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

#3 Used old designer fishing paper and journal box is from my stash. Features me with my boys fishing and camping which we did on many other Mother's Days, though this particular day it is June.
Trout fishing by Shirleysgirl - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I added the Keyword to one of my layouts for VSBN#3 as it fits!

One of a Kind

Everyone has seen it already......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Backyard Cricket or Maybe Not

Backyard Cricket or Maybe Not by Ozpom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

This LO is also part of the May Scraplift Challenge.

I had chosen white, green and red for my LO so thought it could be also used for VSBN17May Challenge #1.

I also used 5 photos and 5 embellishments.

Thanks for looking and happy day.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I forgot to add that backyard cricket was a family tradition, and especially at Xmas when we were all together. When the boys were younger, we either used to go to parks or use our back lawn. Since we have retired and downsized, our current lawn is only large enough for our grandchildren to play, so family traditions have turned to board games, darts or bocce in the park.

The photos are of our 3 boys. The eldest boy (the bald one) used to play Districts Cricket and could have gone further but chose to socialise with his friends.....mmmm! The 2nd son is into cars and bikes and the youngest boy whose album I am trying to finish (LOL) is mainly into soccer but loves all sports, particularly extreme ones.

I love the family traditions at Xmas and times when we all get together which is difficult whilst they are all working, travelling or finding their way in the world. I miss the backyard cricket. My hubby is the one sitting in the shade. We all used to get up there and bat , fun times.

Thanks for the chat and for helping me create a memory. jx
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2017, 12:48 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Bullseye on Mothers Sunday

Bullseye on Mothers Sunday by Ozpom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here's my LO for VSBN17May Challenge#3. It was only after I'd uploaded it that I realised that the photo was taken on a Sunday and it was Mothers Day when we were all invited up to our eldest boy's home. I'm now practically doing cartwheels as I managed to stick to a LO relating to this day ;) We were also keeping up family traditions...playing darts

Everything used was in my stash and the papers, emphera, plastic calendar, metal sentiment and twine have been there for a while. I used 2 different twines...I was trying to get the effect of the dartboard...it didn't quite work but is about as creative as I can get LOL.

When I read Joyce Ann's note about the playground being wide open....oh dear...I was supposed to be scrap lifting Lela's LO (which I hope you can still see in mine) but that new crackle paste that had been sitting in my cupboard for several weeks was itching for its seal to be broken. I'm a big kid at heart and when playgrounds are mentioned, off I go on my merry way

Thanks for taking time to read about my afternoon and for looking at my LO.

I'm on a roll and have papers out for another double...can I do it before we leave on a jet plane next weekend....watch this space!

Happy weekend everyone.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default 18 Ways to Bring On the Cake

18 Ways to Bring On The Cake by Ozpom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here's my final LO for Challenge #4. Yay, I managed to complete them all

As I had a few photos, albeit not great ones, of Leith's 18th birthday and which had blue and red in them, I knew I could make this challenge work. I had also found a lovely LO by Lela which had banners on it......so this LO will be also submitted as part of the Scraplift challenge. I've tried to stick to red, white and blue as much as possible but wanted the LO to be fun, quirky and added a few fun embellishments here and there.

Sorry I had to cover the faces...I left those of our 2 boys and my hubby showing, but there's a few family members and friends (including 2 girls who are now ex girlfriends of our boys....) so I thought I'd better cover them. I'm not in the photo but you will get to see me soon LOL :p

Thanks for taking time to look at my LO. Thanks again Joyce Ann for all of the challenges.

Happy day.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #27  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Here are my pages for this months challenges.

Waiting in line at the feeder by princessp1971 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Spring time flowers by princessp1971 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Bentley loves Christmas Trees by princessp1971 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Flags at the Grand by princessp1971 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

WIldflowers by princessp1971 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Patti, great you got these done! I have four more to do! I better get them done this week-end. I have photos for one page layed out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Here is a two page LO for Challenge #1, Joyce Ann. Happy Memorial Day. That always seems strange to say Happy, when we are remembering ones who are gone.
But we did put our flag up, or DH did. Yesterday at church, I was proud when they asked those who had served to stand, as DH stood.
Happy scrapping! That sounds better!

Last edited by smadson; 05-29-2017 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: add link
Reply With Quote Likes