Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Craft Room Desk HELP - Ikea

Hello everyone. We will be moving soon and I need to start thinking about my new craft space.

Here is what I would like as far as a desk and was wondering if any of you have anything similar or could offer suggestions....

I would like an L-shaped desk. I have seen some easy-to-build Ikea kinds with an Alex drawer unit on each end....but I would like several Alex units under the L with just a space open for my feet on each side. I would like to use the basic size Alex drawers and the wide set as well. Hope that's clear.

I would love some feedback. Please let me know if the above description was hard to understand.

Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Donna -

I have an L made of two Linmon table tops with an Alex at each far end and legs where they meet - what you don't want. : ) If I had added more Alexes there wouldn't be room for my legs. I have a larger (not largest) and a medium Linmon. Here's the largest: LINNMON Table top - white - IKEA

And all of the Linmons: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=Linmon

With two of the largest, you could have four Alexes but would need to measure to see if you could have more. And would you want to? You couldn't roll a chair right up to an Alex if there wasn't a knee hole.

I put a third Alex to the right of my L. To protect the tops I had a glass company cut 1/4" plexiglass to size and polish the edges, with small, absolutely flat "bump-ons" they give out by the handful underneath so the tops wouldn't slide around the desk. Prices varied hugely. (I like plexi better than glass - warmer if my arm is on it plus not as loud if I put something hard on it.)

For example, this is the largest Linmon, which I have as the main part of my L: LINNMON Table top - white - IKEA

You'll just need to measure your space and what room you'll need for a chair and you before purchasing. But the idea makes total sense.

On a different wall I have a Linmon top with Ikea's expandable legs for two trimmers. I cut better standing up (I'm short) but bending over hurt my back. So I did a cutting motion while my husband measured where my hands/arms were. Like air guitar. ; )

Clear as mud and not specific enough, right?

Last edited by bjeans; 05-02-2017 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Trying to be more clear than mud
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you bjeans! I just pm'd you...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have Linnmon desk tops and Alex drawer unite, like BJ, one each end. Means I can have stuff I use a lot of the time close to hand. I also have a longer Linnmon tabletop, which is an L shape off my main workdesk, along a wall. Under that I have some plastic drawer units.
Then behind my main desk, I have another table top, and larger plastic drawer units under that. Remember, you can get either standard legs, the cheapest option, or more expensive extendable legs if you need to adjust height.

I was also lucky enough to get the 8 cube storage unit when it was available with a desk add on. That's my cutting station.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Could you slide another Alex underneath (next to the other one) if you wanted to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolishGirlView Post
Thank you bjeans! I just pm'd you...
Got it and just responded. : )
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 02:09 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolishGirlView Post
Could you slide another Alex underneath (next to the other one) if you wanted to?
Not under that particular one, no, as it's attached to an Expedit cube.
To the desk I have as my workdesk, yes I think I could get either 2 small Alex, or one large on under as well as the 2 already there.
Don't know if it helps, but I have seen people stack the Alex drawers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The Wide set of Alex drawers (6 drawer cart) is not the same height as the Alex 5 drawer unit. If you *DO* use it under a table top that has the 5 drawer unit supported on either side, you could store flat things like paper cutters, or cutting mats on top of it.

I have stacked the 6 drawer carts...I put a piece of that non-slip sheet stuff in between the two and it's holding up great. The cart casters are...well, off hand I don't really know, but the top one is *NOT* on casters.

HERE is a picture of what I mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Here is my IKEA desk. I used the Linnmon corner table for the center and 2 Linnmon tables for the ends of the L. My husband mounted it to the wall with braces from the hardware store and metal plates to connect the table together. I can take more pictures of the underside if you want.

Teresa Hall
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Here's my combination:

I have the longest Linmon (79 3/4 x 23 5/ with one of the smaller Linmon (47 1/2 x 23 1/2) perpendicular to it. There is room for an additional small Alex, but I much prefer the convenience of the hanging file cart in that place. Not all rooms could handle a desk over 8 1/2 feet long and still have walking space on both ends. I like having the desk in two pieces to make it easier to work with when we move and rearrange furniture.

Out of the picture behind my chair are two wide Alex drawer units with the die cut machine and markers, etc. on top. This lets me have all my most frequently used items at close hand.
Reply With Quote Likes