Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default die storage question

I have a question about die storage.

So it all started because we have done renovations - hope to post a photo when its eventually organised totally - used to have ALL craft stuff in the spare room (we call "blue room" because painted blue) however there were bits and pieces in other parts of house and reently we did major renovations due to my disability and so now we have a bedroom which is almost twice as big as what it used to be and it used to be two rooms the "pink" room and our bedroom but in order to build the new area (big bathroom the size of a main bedroom! and a guest bedroom/second lounge room) so now i have a lot more area of the house which is accessible to my bed!! But because of the reno we had to take everything out of 3 rooms and put it into the lounge room - no easy task! and a TON of craft stuff was moved and of course because ECD has decided to stop making pop it up dies i have been trying to collect them before they dont exist anywhere at all.

As a consequence i have collected a number of new dies and stamps and craft things in general - some have been given to my husband and hes been told for birthday christmas or whatever please give me these!!! I wont remember what they are i just have to be careful not to double up.

So anyways i said to him (after losing and finding many dies and other things including a FULL box of cardstock which still has not been located!!! it is only plain thank goodness however thats what i use the most i reckon! Anyways he said i think we need a better storage solution and i said i agree anyways i noticed the crafters companion EZ magnetic 2 in 1 container folder thing which allows you to store dies on one side and stamps on the other i liked the idea but they are not cheap for full size i think it was 30 AU for folder and 3 sheets and then another 15 AU FOR every 2 sheets after that.

So anyways my husband who loves to help make things said why dont i get a big sheet of metal get them to cut to A4 size (australian standard size) and anyways yesterday he got a smaller sheet of metal to test it out and lets just say that the dies do NOT stick!!!

so the question i have is are dies magnetic?? I mean they stick to magnetic shim i have for cut and boss some dies come with magnetic sheets when you buy them and if you have sizzix big shot it comes with the magnetic platform.....soooo does anyone know if they are magnetic?

Our idea was to get a normal folder and jeff would punch holes in the appropriate place then the die would stick to the metal and be in a folder just like crafters companion except.....that he bought a small sheet of metal to try this out and it appears that dies are not magnetic???

So are wafer thin dies magnetic or not magnetic?

How do other people store them?

We are trying to do it on a budget but have a good way to store them (and my stamps too) but to have so they do not get lost

With the stamps we thought we could just use a sheet protector inside a normal folder and use the piece of acetate that the stamps came on and put it in the sheet protector and that would keep them together we were also going to do something to make the sheet protector close so that the stamps could not fall out.

I am interested in how others do this...it was originally a question about whether dies (wafer thin ones) are magnetic but it is also about storing them and also storing stamps since the 2 in 1 stored both...My idea with the dies was also to have a sheet protector containing the packaging showing the brand and what the die was called as well next to the dies on a magnetic metal.

Thanks for your suggestions...in case anyone wonders at the moment i am using a box a couple of plastic boxes one square and one just a normal box shaped both made of hard plastiic to hold the dies and the stamps are also in plastic box and some are in my plastic set of drawers too...took lots to respite and havent put them back in the set of drawers yet....

thanls for your help...choosing dies and stamps is really hard but one thing I definitely know is i LOVE pop up dies! And i have sold lots...they take more work (cos of decorating inside and outside which i doint do with normal cards and a lot of them can be used flat or popped up.

thanks for your help with this.,...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 02:26 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there, first off, no the dies are not magnetic. The sheet they stick onto is magnetic. Not sure how available they are over there, but you can find A4( standard in UK also) magnetic sheets on Amazon & E-Bay. I've been buying these, cutting them down slightly to A5 size, and using Avery Elle pockets to store them in. They come in a size that is just under A5, and one just over. There are also generic pockets available in those two sites, I'm told. If you want to store stamps as well as dies, then I think you'd want the larger size. They do have a flap that folds in to stop anything falling out. Then I just stand them in an A4 Really Useful Box. I only have dies in mine, all my stamps are in A4 Ring Binders.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 04:13 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You might want to watch this Jennifer McGuire video about die storage. She uses pockets in bins, with a piece of cardstock in each pocket to give it stability. She only puts magnetic sheets in the die sets that have lots of little pieces. That saves $$ on magnetic sheets.

I follow her method. The only magnetic sheets I use are for nested sets - like small to large squares - or when there a bunch of little dies. To make labeling easy, you can cut off the part of the package that has the company and die name/code and slip it behind the cardstock. The cardstock doesn't have to be expensive. I sometimes put extra die cuts there too.

I use a Container Store "Pure Box" for my dies, very light weight but sturdy. You can use any bin.

Pockets are in many price ranges, so shop around. This is an older video; a newer one shows many pocket choices if you'd like that link. Enjoy!

Video: Die Storage + Giveaway - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 04:13 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

You might want to watch this Jennifer McGuire video about die storage. She uses pockets in bins, with a piece of cardstock in each pocket to give it stability. She only puts magnetic sheets in the die sets that have lots of little pieces. That saves $$ on magnetic sheets.

I follow her method. The only magnetic sheets I use are for nested sets - like small to large squares - or when there are a bunch of small dies. To make labeling easy, you can cut off the part of the package that has the company and die name/code and slip it behind the cardstock. The cardstock doesn't have to be expensive. I sometimes put extra die cuts there.

I use a Container Store "Pure Box" for my dies, very light weight but sturdy. You can use any bin.

Pockets are in many price ranges. This is an older video; a newer one shows many pocket choices and people here may post their favorites. Enjoy!

Video: Die Storage + Giveaway - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think Silverwolfcards hit the nail on the head. The dies themselves are not magnetic--it's the sheets that are magnetic.

So the metal you acquired to stick the dies on is basically the same type of material as the dies themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much the same as mentioned. Magnetic sheets for nested rectangles, circles etc. and very small die pieces only. All stored in labeled clear CD envelopes either in a separate tabbed fridge box or occasionally behind the stamp set in its larger envelope. Most of my storage ideas came from the Jennifer McGuire video previously referred to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought magnetic sheets with adhesive backs from Amazon and cut them down to 81/4 x 5/14. I then adhered to lightweight cardboard-whatever I had on hand. I then place 2 boards back to back in some 8.5 x 5.5 page protectors I have. I store in a box upright.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

No, dies are not magnetic.

I use Jennifer McQuire's idea. I bought magnetic sheets and put those inside a large pocket that I bought from Ellen Hutson. Matching stamps and dies on their magnetic sheet go in the same pocket. I put the pockets in CabinetBinz that I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

You can check at a hardware store (Home Deport, Lowe's) for magnetic vent covers that can be cut to the size you need for your dies.

The pockets in the binz take up a lot less space for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I second the magnetic vent covers from Home Depot if you can get them down there. There are three in a package and they can be cut down to any size you want. I was puzzled at first about cutting them but got out the trusty "everything and anything" scissors from my husbands work bench and it was so easy. I tape them to pieces of light weight cardboard and they are perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2017, 02:35 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all your ideas etc!Unfortunately i wrote this post then my husband went to hardware shop and bought a small sheet of metal and we discovered the hard way about the non magnetic thing! However I have just bought 25 magnetic sheets for AU$40 which was the cheapest i could find i was planning to do what some of you have suggested - using pockets or just the folder and sheet protector. I have a lot of sets that have small pieces - thats an interesting idea about only using magnetic storage if it is nested or has small pieces the question is then do the others go in just pockets (without the magnetic sheets?)
I will have to see how long it lasts and what pockets/folders work the best what i can find.
we dont have any of those hardware stores however I can always google the magnetic cover thing and see if we have something similar!

I was planning to use A4 ring binder folders because i have shelves to put everything on these will sit easily and the magnetic sheets will fit inside the sheet protectors easily and if it needs to be sturdier some type of cardboard behind should work but the avery elle pockets sound good i will have a look on internet and see what i can find and just see what works the best - and also watch the video i like jennifer mcguire she has a lot of good tips!

thanks for your help

The reason why I have collected so many so quickly is for the simple reason that Elizabeth crafts is stopping production of all Karen burniston dies whatever is left it what is around and after 2017 they wont exist anymore - i LOVE pop up dies. Despite disability i do not find these particular ones difficult to use though she always has a blog post and video with instructions which definitely helps! Sometimes i might need some help from my husband but once we have figured out how to do it its easy fixed! I love the pop it ups! She also sells coordinating stamps as well.

so what i have been trying to do (unfortunately between being unwell) is that i have been trying to buy as many pop it ups as possible and find the ones i like the best etc and get them first! I have a friend who is visiting the US later this year and she has said providing its not too heavy i can send packages to her partners house (in US) and then she will bring it back as long as i do not mind waiting until august for it! This means i can buy from all the shops that dont do international postage/postage is too expensive and often get free or very low postage to where her partner is. She does have a luggage limit so i am trying to be careful what i get where but i do think it will be ok! Just a bit excited about that too!

I am also glad that other people have this issue about how to store stuff!! I have lots of plastic boxes on the shelves - from the "cheap" shop they are brightly coloured we ended up with 18 boxes - not all filled yet with various craft things BUT somewhre in our tidying lost an entire BOX OF cardstock!!! S0 I said to my husband maybe we should get some more a packet or 2 before the rest runs out and then of course it will appear!!! But we havent done this yet so it hasnt appeared yet!!! I mean its a full box!!! I really lose Everything!!!

thanks for your help

from erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Erin, if you are going to use A4 binders, something else that may be of use to you- the storage pockets meant for currency/postcard/trading card collectors. They are made to fit A4 ring binders, and come in a variety of pocket sizes. I got mine from Amazon. HERE is the link I used, so you can see the sort of options available.
I am using mine for storing unmounted rubber stamps, and also for spare die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much for everyones help - i have watched the video and I am actually starting to like the idea especially for dies to put the magnetic sheets cut in half in the avery elle (or simon says stamp) for normal stamp size for the dies or possibly use the large pockets for bigger die sets i was thinking the ring binders would be easier now i am not sure! I will look into further and let you know what I choose for my dies and my stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 05:16 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Btw, I keep a small, magnetic automative parts dish by my die cutting machine. If I'm using dies from more than one set and don't want to interrupt my cutting, instead of putting each die away, I toss the dies into the dish to not lose any amongst the scraps.

That was a Jennifer McGuire idea too. Similarly, I only use magnetic sheets in pockets for dies that really need them. Most don't, though that's a personal preference. Just a piece of cardstock in the pocket does the trick without adding weight or bulk.

(Bulk matters because I have a rule that my dies have to fit in the current bin, and if they don't I have to get rid of some. Plus streamlined is a good thing. (Martha))

Here's a *small* magnetic parts dish. But there are many sizes. Mine is a little bigger. https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-1...tic+parts+bowl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 06:17 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by emckView Post
Thanks so much for everyones help - i have watched the video and I am actually starting to like the idea especially for dies to put the magnetic sheets cut in half in the avery elle (or simon says stamp) for normal stamp size for the dies or possibly use the large pockets for bigger die sets i was thinking the ring binders would be easier now i am not sure! I will look into further and let you know what I choose for my dies and my stamps.
One thing I'd like to say- I started off putting mine in A5 binders, but to be totally honest, it quickly got unwieldy. The folders get very heavy- even the A5 ones, and I had to keep starting new folders due to the weight. Plus the weight of some dies was pulling the pockets out of shape. I switched to the Avery Elle pockets in a box, and have found it the much better option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Dies can be made of different metals, but they are never magnetic themselves. But all will stick to magnetic surfaces.

I did the 2 in 1 things at first and was all gung ho about it.

Then I discovered:
-When full they are dang heavy
-If you drop the binders, even empty, they break like eggshells. The plastic loops also break easily. -The dies were popping off which isnt good with little ones. Yes they stay in the binder, but you open it and they are on the floor.

As you mentioned those pages are not cheap. I switched to the pocket way too except I use cheap plastic shoe boxes on a shelf. I cut down the pages.

When the pages ran out, I use magnetic vent covers. They come three to a pack here (about 10 bucks) and I can get at least 2 pocket size plus more by scotch taping the other pieces together per sheet so from the package I can do at least 9 pockets. If I have a very delicate die, I may back it with cardboard (like from the back of writing pads) My stationary store sells them to me for 30 cents each.

Here is a listing of vent covers so you can see what I am talking about. I have to think they have them where you are. They come in different sizes so do the math to get the best price ea for you. They are easy to cut-you can do it with a regular scissor vs I had to use Tim Holtz's tonics to do the 2-1 pages.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_26mdlydgx0_e
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 02:32 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try those vent covers. The rolls of magnetic tape that I've been using never seem to quite flatten out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Dies can be made of different metals, but they are never magnetic themselves. But all will stick to magnetic surfaces.

I did the 2 in 1 things at first and was all gung ho about it.

Then I discovered:
-When full they are dang heavy
-If you drop the binders, even empty, they break like eggshells. The plastic loops also break easily. -The dies were popping off which isnt good with little ones. Yes they stay in the binder, but you open it and they are on the floor.

As you mentioned those pages are not cheap. I switched to the pocket way too except I use cheap plastic shoe boxes on a shelf. I cut down the pages.

When the pages ran out, I use magnetic vent covers. They come three to a pack here (about 10 bucks) and I can get at least 2 pocket size plus more by scotch taping the other pieces together per sheet so from the package I can do at least 9 pockets. If I have a very delicate die, I may back it with cardboard (like from the back of writing pads) My stationary store sells them to me for 30 cents each.

Here is a listing of vent covers so you can see what I am talking about. I have to think they have them where you are. They come in different sizes so do the math to get the best price ea for you. They are easy to cut-you can do it with a regular scissor vs I had to use Tim Holtz's tonics to do the 2-1 pages.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_26mdlydgx0_e
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2017, 03:09 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thevent covers that I found locally were just a bit too flimsy for me so I found these magnetic sheets with adhesive on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did receive one shipment where the package was not lying flat in the shipping box but flattened out quickly with some weight put on them.
Reply With Quote Likes