Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ink Pads

Hello,

If you have have an entire set of dye ink pads what brand would you pick (this excludes TH, Versamark, or any other specialty inks). You can only pick one brand.

Thanks,
Kate
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 450 Likes on 304 Posts

I would chose Gina K...and Did! LOL I admit I haven't tried ALL of the other brands, but did memento and stampin up, and Gina K was the best in my opinion! Love having the inks match the cardstock I get, and I LOVE her cardstock too...so it's a win win!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I do not have them, but if I could have them magically, I would choose Gina K because that is the cardstock I use. I have a few of them, some Hero Arts, some memento, etc etc. Luckily, they all do mix and match pretty well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ranger Archival. Beautiful colors and will stamp on many surfaces.

But that's if pressed. I really would not want to be limited to one brand. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I love Lawn Fawn inks but only have 3 colors.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Distress Oxides. Yes, just for stamping too. : ) But since you're looking for a more standard ink, maybe Hero Arts Shadow Inks. Lots of colors including very soft ones, in mini cubes too, and in harmonizing color sets.

But please don't take away my Ranger Archival, Mama Elephant, Studio Calico (my first love!), and others that I'm forgetting in my panic that I can only have one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I loved the Hero Arts Shadow Inks myself BUT you cannot get reinkers for them. And you will need them for the paler colors, mine got dry very quickly. But great ink.

I got extremely frustrated with the fact that I couldn't get the reinkers. There's a long whining thread I posted about it HERE. I even made some phone calls about it, to no avail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Yeah, I knew about the re-inkers, but so far {knock on wood} even the light colors are holding up. I'm careful to replace tops right after stamping an image; maybe that helps? If I have to buy another pad, for under $5.00 (for a full size pad) I'll deal, since I got addicted before I knew. I just haven't found certain colors that suit as well, even though some are close.

I've wasted enough money buying other inks when looking for a close match or a slightly better color, that I would have been better off just buying a duplicate. It's weird though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

After all of my calling around and talking to vendors and then to Stewart Superior, I decided that Hero Arts wanted us to have to buy new pads.

Hero Arts is a company that makes many really wonderful products, but their attitude toward customers at the corporate level is not great. They have one of the most restrictive angel policies out there. That tells me something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Really! I've have to look at it. Have you found super-light, super-soft colors from other companies you like as well? Finding light-ish, mid-toned, dark or jewel-toned colors isn't hard. But their line of soft colors suits me better than any others I've found.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Some of the Archivals are pale, but you are right, only those Shadow Inks come in those lovely pale colors.

Here's the Angel Policy:

All stamp impressions must be made by hand and no mechanical or other form of reproduction is permitted.
Quantities are limited to projects that are limited in scope, local in nature, and otherwise do not constitute an ongoing business.
Additionally, quantities for commercial use are generally allowed if they are in the range of 50 hand-stamped impressions per stamp image, or less.
The production of much larger numbers, and/or for an ongoing business, and/or for an endeavor that is not local in nature, is forbidden without express written consent.
Wherever possible, Hero Arts Trademarks and Copyrights should be displayed.

I actually called them about it at one point (are you getting the idea that I will call everyone and anyone if I am wondering about something, because I will and I do). I was toying with the idea of selling my cards (decided against it), and asked them if the "50 times" limits was for a run of a card (like if you produced event invitations for someone), or for the entire time you owned it and they said it was for the entire time you owned the stamp for your entire life. Period. Not that this would be easy to enforce, but still. I get that HA doesn't want people setting up cottage businesses using their images. Still.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I had gone to the HA site to look at the angel policy and noticed "without express permission," included, so maybe there's some wiggle room? Or not. But it would seem targeted toward a cottage industry so maybe they allow it sometimes. I have a vague recollection I may have seen similar angel policies.

Way OT
I'm an information junky/caller/writer too, so I get where you're coming from. I called them once and the person who answered was basically taking messages - which is fine - she checked before she gave me an answer. And they've been responsive and friendly when I've emailed them a question. But for some companies you can ask a question three times and get three different answers.

In fact I wrote to the Prismacolor company (Newell Rubbermaid!) to ask how their markers should be stored, and was told upright - that they never should be horizontal. I wrote back and asked if that would affect whichever tip was at the top, since they are double-tipped, and got a reply that oops, the first response was incorrect; they should be horizontal. And that has to be a frequently asked very basic question. I could have passed on the original info verbatim, and others could have passed it on...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you all for your replies. it sounds like either GinaK or Hero Arts are the favored ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate2kateView Post
Thank you all for your replies. it sounds like either GinaK or Hero Arts are the favored ones.
And just to clarify in case anyone is wondering, Hero Arts has more than one type of ink. I'm mainly familiar with the Shadow inks. : )

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2017, 04:52 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Gina K inks are my favorite! I love her colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

I am not a Stampin' Up rep but I love their ink pads. Juicy forever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 03:36 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Here's the Angel Policy:

All stamp impressions must be made by hand and no mechanical or other form of reproduction is permitted.
Quantities are limited to projects that are limited in scope, local in nature, and otherwise do not constitute an ongoing business.
Additionally, quantities for commercial use are generally allowed if they are in the range of 50 hand-stamped impressions per stamp image, or less.
The production of much larger numbers, and/or for an ongoing business, and/or for an endeavor that is not local in nature, is forbidden without express written consent.
Wherever possible, Hero Arts Trademarks and Copyrights should be displayed.
This doesn't seem unusual to me.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 03:38 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

BTW, the Hero Arts pads are made by Stewart Superior, who manufacturers ink pads for other companies like Simon Says Stamp, Impression Obsession, MFT, and more. The shape of the ink pad is the same across companies.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Dina, I did some research a while back on angel policies for a number of companies, and many were far less restrictive. Most were primarily concerned that you did not electronically reproduce the image, that it had to be hand stamped, many wanted to be credited on the card but had no limits as to number of times used. I did find that this was one of the more restrictive ones. Things may have changed in the past three or four years, though.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-02-2017 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 04:30 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
BTW, the Hero Arts pads are made by Stewart Superior, who manufacturers ink pads for other companies like Simon Says Stamp, Impression Obsession, MFT, and more. The shape of the ink pad is the same across companies.
Interesting, thanks Dini.

Also, Hero Arts Shadow and Midtone inks are basically the same. Shadow inks are just lighter. And so pretty!

I'd seen reinkers for a couple of their inks and asked what the status was, and was told they didn't sell so they stopped making them. I wonder if they were less popular at that time.

It doesn't bother me much, other than I switched to minis, and you can't buy single minis, only sets. I wrote to them requesting that they start selling minis separately since they don't sell reinkers, otherwise people are forced to get a large ink pad or mini sets that aren't needed. First world problem. ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

My ink supply consists of Gina K, Lawn Fawn, and Memento. If I had the money, I would purchase all Lawn Fawn as I love the names. I have a few Hero Arts as well. They all play nicely together.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I love the new Close To My Heart ink pads, the magnetic lids are awesome. I also use Stampin Up ink pads and I also have some Fun Stampers Journey pads however three of them had horrible rotting smell last time I used them, so I'm not buying them anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Hero Arts shadow inks the best. My second choice (I know choices, but they are really good) and have reinkers are the WPlus9 ink pads also made by Stewart Superior. They have some nice pastels. That said they have been out of all the colors and the refills I need/want for many months. I have sent two emails and received no replay on restock. As a result I'm filling in with the rest of the Shadow Inks. I haven't had excellence with some of the Lawn Fawn so I stopped adding those. My Lawn Fawn Mermaid color is awfully good though. I haven't tried the Gina K (yet).
Reply With Quote Likes