Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Printer that handles cardstock

I'm trying to find a printer that can handle cardstock of different weights. I like to make greeting cards and insert my own verses using Pages. I would like a printer that can take custom paper size, like 5x8. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Brother printer does any weight. I even have put water color paper thru it. as to size why not just print size closest to that size and trim it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
My Brother printer does any weight. I even have put water color paper thru it. as to size why not just print size closest to that size and trim it?
Which Brother model do you have and is it an inkjet?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one to avoid, HP Officejet Pro 8610. It totally resents 110 cardstock if that's a weight you use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I had a HP 5510 took 110 staples brand no problem. Purchased an Epsom Xp 640 wireless takes cardstock 110 and has great dpi.

I found out that Epson does have some models made for cardstock in that it feeds from the back of the printer....alas not impressed with color.

Since then another friend in card class bought an Epson very pleased. I have always taken a piece of cardstock with me and have them show me how it prints and feeds.

Did not replace former 5510 as that particular color technology no longer available on cheaper printer ( photo smart).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an Epson Stylus Photo Printer. Does cardstock fine. I can set the size for 12x12 or anything smaller. I print my own envelopes too --- any size. I like the photo printer because it has 8 different colors of ink. I can create almost anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Here's one to avoid, HP Officejet Pro 8610. It totally resents 110 cardstock if that's a weight you use.
Yes, I second this. I had the 8500 and it took everything, I loved it. Then the 8500 broke down, or rather was rendered unusable* (see below if you are curious), and I had to buy the next model, the 8610. The 8610 will take layering weight cardstock, but nothing heavier. Very annoying.

*The reason my 8500 was rendered unusable is because it got ants in it. Tons of ants. It was the weirdest thing. But apparantly it happens. Just do a search on "ants in my pr..." and you'll see the word "printer" pop right up before you can finish typing it. It got to the point where there were so many dead ant bodies inside the scanner bed that every photocopy was like a scene from a horror movie, shadow images of crushed exoskeletons obscuring the image. It was far cheaper to buy a new printer than to have the scanner/copier mechanism taken apart. Just an interesting aside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Ants, how bizarre!! Glad mine tanked before the ant invasion. We battle ants in the rainy season but they didn't find the printer.

I felt kind of bad after I posted that my replacement 8610 wouldn't take the heavier cardstock. I thought well maybe it's just mine or me. It's an otherwise decent printer. Interesting to hear it's not just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not, not just you. If you search on it you'll find a LOT of complaints on various forums by people who were aggravated to discover this limitation after replacing their 8500s, which took everything I ever tried to put through it.

I think the ants are attracted to the electromagnetic forces of the printer or something. Or someone told me that and then laughed behind my back when I believed it. Really, all you need is one queen to get inside and it's all over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I guess I feel lucky now. We've had ants everywhere else. I've heard of insects in TV's but never experienced it. I won't even mention what particular insects those were.

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to feed it any other way so I just gave up. I think getting a printer demo is a good way to go in the future. I don't think I can take both ants and no cardstock function in my printer. Build a moat on my desk maybe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a brother mfc-j470dw Innobella made by Brother. It has taken all kinds of paper. I like bottom feeder printers. My cat likes to sleep on the printer and cat hair gets in the top printer. I am considering buying a 12x12 printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I have an HP Envy 5330 all-in-1 that barely takes the GP cardstock. It is supposed to take photo paper, but I've never used it. What a wimp. I'd happily get another printer if it took heavy cardstock, but I am kind of spoiled by the built-in scanner. When they say "ALL in 1" they are kind of loosey-goosey on what the "all" is. My previous Canon printer stopped picking up any paper type at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I have an OKI Data MC362w. It's a color laser jet. I bought it to use cardstock. The manual feed is straight through so it doesn't curl the paper. I usually have ~20 sheets of cardstock in the manual feed tray so I don't have to feed one by one. The scanner feature has been nice; you can wirelessly send your scans to the computer. You can setup custom paper sizes although I have not tried them yet. Foiling works awesome as well!

It's been a great printer! Its been almost a year and I still have not gone through the starter toner. I also found off brand toner replacements, all 4 for $60, on Amazon. Mfg toner ~99 each.

Staples sells this printer but I was not able to find on in store. I ended up buying through Staples using a price match to Adorama Camera. Adorama Camera has a store front so it was an easy price match. Plus, you can return to Staples within 30 days no questions asked. And, I got free shipping to my house. You can buy on Amazon as well, but I thought it would be easier to return locally than shipping somewhere else.

https://smile.amazon.com/OKI-MC362w-...okidata+mc362w
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I did put Neenah 80# cardstock through my 8610 HP today. It takes it if I load it one sheet at a time and seems to like it better if I am copying something rather than printing off the computer. Still no go on 110# though.
Reply With Quote Likes