Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 12 x 12 Paper Storage

So I have a few bookcases in my craft room that have been there for oh about 15 years. They are just cheap bookcases, that were under $40. Anyway I had one that was really warping so I ripped it out last week. Turns out there was also water damage behind the bookcase so I ended up throwing away an entire shelf of 12 x 12 cardstock and paper. I had a whole recycle trash bin full of damaged paper. Anyway I got the bookcase out, and hubby had to fix a hole in the wall. Now that it is all done I have to get everything put away. I want to do something different with the cardstock/paper. I would love to have it all stored in something plastic to prevent future damage, but I also would like to have more organization to it too.

So my question is this, what do you use to store your 12 x 12 cardstock? I dont really have the room to add additional furniture in the room. I'm wondering if there are some plastic storage options out there? I have tried Googling options but I am not really coming up with anything.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Please note: I may not get back for a couple of days as I need to get stuff out of my living room and back into my craft room.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I splurged when Joann Fabric had their Art Box 12x12 in colors on sale 1/2 price with a 20% off even sale and cheap shipping as our local store would only have 2 or 3 in stock. Like the fact that even pads that have that perforated edge fit. I stack them vertical and label the end by the handle so I don't have to move any to get to the ones I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

A few years ago---more than 2 less than 6--I set up all the folding tables I own and took all my 12 x 12 DSP paper out of my craft room and began to sort....I had first thought about what types of cards I make, how my brain works and created post-it note labels for spaces on the tables. Then I just took and armful of sheets and walked the tables placing paper in the category I was most likely to find it again. After that was done, I labeled the fronts of Cropper Hopper storage units with the categories that I would place in each. Then used the smaller Cropper Hopper units(four of them fit into the large one and placed each category in one of them. I have 5 cropper hopper big units and 4 x 5 of the smaller ones and then I have a dozen or so of the divider sheets as well. End result: all my dsp is sorted by category and because of the labels on the outside of the boxes(which are in the order the paper is filed inside) I can put my hands on paper for a card or scrapbook page in quick order. I find I am using it more and because I didn't worry about color I can flip through a group of categorized sheets quickly and find the color if that is important to the task. Clear as mud? It works for me.... My solid 12 x 12 is kept in Roy G Biv order also in Cropper Hopper which lets me know when I am low on a color and I can reorder/replace. No labels as I figure I should be smart enough to know what I want and makes less redo work necessary.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

oh--another thing--my category labels are not all the same: IE: Fall/Autumn = Fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving papers, Christmas = everything except snow/snowmen which has its own unit holder. Children, Patriotic, Colleges, Western, Metallic, Glitter, Vellum, Spring, Winter, Summer, Food, Nature/wildlife----totally just me.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some put their cardstock in the Iris containers that fit 12x12 and turn those sideways on the shelf so that the colour can be seen. They're easier to slide in and out stacked side by side and not on top of one another. I use the Multipurpose bins from The Container Store but they're not fully enclosed so they wouldn't be water proof.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

For years I've been using Display Dynamics paper trays. I store by color and separate them by prints and solids with dividers between the two types. If you get them, be sure to buy the ones with out the front lip.
Attached Thumbnails
12 x 12 Paper Storage-pb-stamp-room-furniture-028.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am so sorry about your paper and the damage to your shelves and home. Hugs.

I use Iris boxes. I am pretty simple about the way I keep my paper. It does work for me. My paper is organized by themes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have a lot of 12x12 paper to store. When I do buy it, I cut it up into different sizes, ala Connie Stewart. It's easier for me to manage small pieces since I don't have a lot of room. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I started organizing my cardstocks. I do feel better already with the organizing it. I'm ashamed to say it was never on my shelf in any kind of order!:oops: I have an accordion file folder that i got many years ago at Archivers, but now that I am doing more organizing it isn't all fitting.
I found some "milk crates" (thats what we always called them, plastic crates that milk is delivered in) at my Big Lots today. I would prefer them to be completely enclosed in plastic so they would protect them better. I may still return them. I found a nice storage box at my local Walmart that would hold the 12 x 12. They had two of them....no lids....

My local JoAnn's remodeled, and I feel like they have booted the papercrafter out of the store!

I did see the Iris containers. I may go that route. I do have them tagged on Amazon, but I couldn't reallty find any reviews on them. I don't want something so big and heavy that I can't move the box around when I need to get stuff out of it.
I love those shelves Stamphappy! I'm not sure I have the room for them though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 176 Likes on 118 Posts

Wonder if anyone has tried Totally Tiffany stuff like these, I think its ScrapRack
Fab File 12x12 | Totally Tiffany products

If you have do you like them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris BView Post
Wonder if anyone has tried Totally Tiffany stuff like these, I think its ScrapRack
Fab File 12x12 | Totally Tiffany products

If you have do you like them?
I'd never seen these before, so thanks for the heads-up! I don't think I'd like them for 12" x 12", but I'm sure considering them for 6" x 6"! I haven't landed on a method for those yet that I was happy with long-term. What I like the most is that there are individual pockets within the case, so I can put the scraps right in with the full sheets.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't used them but have seen and touched just the 12x12s. Like certain Cropper Hopper (now a different name) items, I found them a little annoying - floppy and not fun to get my hand into.

But the 6x6's or 8x8's of these are intriguing! The downside might be be having to lift pads out to see which pads they are. If that makes sense.

I use frig binz for my 6x6's, and tuck the scraps into the pads, held together with a plastic band (skinny rubber band) if necessary. The pads can be flipped through quickly to see them, and the bin easilfy carried to where I'm working.

ETA, they 6x6's only have 5 pockets, so no longer intrigued.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-10-2017 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: looking at the other sizes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 06:17 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Default Advantus Cropper Hopper Easy Access Paper Holder

I bought 4 of these from Amazon & I LOVE them - plastic - stores paper vertically & relatively inexpensive.

Sorry - It won't let me post a picture - but search in Amazon by the title: Advantas Cropper Hopper Easy Access Paper Holder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjruddellView Post
I bought 4 of these from Amazon & I LOVE them - plastic - stores paper vertically & relatively inexpensive.

Sorry - It won't let me post a picture - but search in Amazon by the title: Advantas Cropper Hopper Easy Access Paper Holder
Here's a link. : )
https://www.amazon.com/Advantus-Crop...s+Paper+Holder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjruddellView Post

I had something like this for my 8.5x11 paper and did not like the holes in the sides. My paper would get caught going in and wreck the corners.

I use these for 12x12. I turn them on side so the paper will slide in/out easily. This is a sturdy cardboard material so they don't fall over (like the Cropper Hopper ones).

https://www.darice.com/store/details...orage/30014009
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 03:00 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I am using pizza boxes for some of the sets like butterflies , specific colors etc. They stack nicely. Wouldn't solve the water problem though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I've used Art Bin 12x12 storage boxes with handles for years. You can stack them flat or store them standing up. They are very sturdy and easily portable because of the handle, if you go to crops.
Reply With Quote Likes