Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you answer this?

I see the stamp organizing of Jennifer McGuire and others. They are all neat packages in a pocket. All uniform.
Since I stamp for me and mix companies,
I file by theme; not mfr.

In my real life, I find the following problems:
Companies make all sizes of sets --. Many do not fit the pockets available.

But the real problem I see is that they just slip the packet into the pocket.
My experience is that the longer these stamps sit on their original packaging, the more difficult they are to get off. Looks nice, but is it safe storage?

Am I making too much work fior myself by stamping card stock( one side to view set and one side to place stamps for easy viewing of what goes where) , laminating it, putting the sets onto its sheet and filing in bins or Dvd cases.

Bottom line--how do we know it is safe to leave the cling and clear stamps in their original packages.

What about all the packaging we threw away when using other methods like cd cases, etc. that is why I went to the stamped sheet method.
For cling stamps that come with the entire rubber base and stamps fit into the shapes, I store that way. So nice to know what is missing when the desk gets cluttered in a design frenzy.

Sorry several questions. Is it safe to leave stamps in and on original acetate?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully, those more knowledgeable and experienced than me will speak up, but in my humble opinion...

I don't think it's a waste of time. I'm doing the same thing. I sincerely hope that packaging is getting safer, but I don't want to take the chance. I have had a couple of older (possibly cheaper) stamps that have all but melted after being stored in their original package for too long.

As for inconsistent size... I am finding (from way too much trial and error, LOL) that I love the uniform look of everything in the same size pocket. I'm still using a few different types of pockets (mostly because I already have them), but for some of the larger stamp sets that absolutely will not fit in one pocket, I just break the collection up into 2 pockets (or more), and write "1 of 2, 2 of 2" on the inserts.

But yes, it's a lot of work, LOL. I think I spend almost as much time organizing as I do crafting. (Fortunately for me, I like to organize.) Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I use Jennifer McGuire method in the large Avery Elle pockets she recommends. That means tossing the original manufacturer's packaging, though I snip off identifying info and slip it in the pocket. I sort by theme, not manufacturer.

Aside from supersized background stamps (6x6 or larger), all stamp sets fit into the pockets. For the few that are too large as is (but are not background stamps), I just cut the set into two pieces and put both into the pocket.

If a set is made in China or I think the stamps or the sheet they're on may be acetate and not photopolymer, I'll cut a piece of Duralar for the stamps to stick to instead or the original sheet. I've emailed a couple of companies to check what that use for stamps and the sheets.

I love this method because it's so compact, portable and easy to flip through but others have other systems they love.

Whatever you choose I'd just consider getting rid of acetate backing sheets. And I won't buy acetate stamps - except by accident.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Am I using the word acetate incorrectly? What is the clear stuff that is often printed with the stamp image? I often find the stamps are stuck tight and must be carefully peeled to remove. That is the ppart that I worry about, not the lighter sheet that backs the set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Either sheet may be acetate. If a stamp is sticking too hard to a sheet, I assume either the stamp or the sheet or both are acetate, and I substitute Duralar for the printed sheet.

I've been adhering the printed sheet to a Duralar sheet to see the images, but the stamps are stuck to the Duralar, not touching the printed acetate sheet. I may switch to making a paper copy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I ditch all packaging stamps come on, and store on laminated sheets in 3 ring binders. I've read on here before about stamps from very well known brands being damaged by long term storage on the original sheets they came with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #7  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 389 Likes on 234 Posts

Well, shoot! I never thought about these issues before. Now I have to do even MORE reorganizing. I'm NOT good at that. Someone what to come help me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

There was an entire thread devoted to which companies used "safe" packaging and which didn't, and which type of plastic was safe and which wasn't. If you care to read all about it, you can find the thread here: Going Crazy with Clear Stamp Storage by Candida at Splitcoaststampers

Suffice it to say that you are safer using Dura-lar or self-laminated sheets to store your investment. One thing you might want to consider: if you are going to rearrange your stamps (or purge them or add more), you may have to re-stamp and laminate your cardstock sheets. I use laminated cardstock with no stamping to store the stamps, and un-laminated cardstock to stamp an index sheet to slip into the pocket if I think I need it. I just did a massive overhaul and I'm NOT stamping all of those index sheets! I'll probably do the sentiments, because those are harder to tell, but the images are pretty apparent, already...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
There was an entire thread devoted to which companies used "safe" packaging and which didn't, and which type of plastic was safe and which wasn't. If you care to read all about it, you can find the thread here: Going Crazy with Clear Stamp Storage by Candida at Splitcoaststampers

Suffice it to say that you are safer using Dura-lar or self-laminated sheets to store your investment. One thing you might want to consider: if you are going to rearrange your stamps (or purge them or add more), you may have to re-stamp and laminate your cardstock sheets. I use laminated cardstock with no stamping to store the stamps, and un-laminated cardstock to stamp an index sheet to slip into the pocket if I think I need it. I just did a massive overhaul and I'm NOT stamping all of those index sheets! I'll probably do the sentiments, because those are harder to tell, but the images are pretty apparent, already...
You are always a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. I am a messy designer. My counters get so crowded, I can easily lose things. Because of this I obsessively label every pouch or case. Then I know what to look for that might be missing. With the Misti I can do a layout page--stamp on both sides, then laminate the page. One side for easy flipping in bin and other side shows where each stamp goes. Did 12 sets of xmas stamps today in less than an hour and a half. All put away. Project box is ready for next batch when I have time. Like you, I have tried over the years many methods. This has to be the last one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I was going to look for that thread - thank you for saving me the time. : )

The info in the thread was 2014 and 2015, if I recall, and I wonder if anything has changed. I have a couple food sensitivities, and a loaf of bread in January can suddenly have an ingredient that it didn't have in December. Something costs less money in manufacturing - bread or stamps - and a change may be made.

I've taken the semi-lazy way. I won't buy acrylic* stamps. If a stamp is flexible and clear (aside from ink), I'm not worried. If a stamp is brittle, hard or yellow, like used ones that were given to me, I move them to Duralar. I trust some companies, and stay away from others. If I guess wrong, it's not the end of the world. It's a stamp, not a cat. Or dog.

And I also have wondered - given responses of a couple of reputable sellers, like Gina K. - if the problems are more with acrylic* stamps than with acetate sheets. Photopolymer has come a long way in the last few years, apparently.

* Edited to correct words, sorry!

Last edited by bjeans; 01-05-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

BTW, I've copied original index sheets in my copier and taped the copy to the Duralar.

However, mostly I had put the original index sheet behind the Duralar, thinking it just shouldn't touch the stamp. But I could definitely be wrong; maybe the acetate off gasses (for how long?) and in that case it should be tossed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I use the same method as Sue- unlaminated sheets in plastic pockets for index sheets. I either scan in the packaging and use that image to make the sheets, or I search for images on the net, and use the clipping tool for them. It's only if it's a really old, discontinued stamp that I end up stamping on my index sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 02:42 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Shaz, what is your unlaminated sheet made of? (Probably a dumb question.) Paper? Cardstock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 02:58 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Bjeans, I just use regular printer paper, then put that in a plastic document sleeve. It means I can also jot down on that any info I might need later-manufacturer, for instance if it's an older stamp. Or if I've split a set up, where the remains can be found. I don't buy a great many sets, but I tend to remove the sentiments from any I do get, and put them in the relevant sentiment section. I found I never looked anywhere other than my sentiment folder for them, so I had a lot I never used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 03:40 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks, makes sense. Neat strategy to remove sentiments to be able to locate them. I've just been making copies of index sheets of sets that have the odd sentiment, and put them in my bin's sentiments section.

For me the issue is locating tiny oddball stamps that often are included in a set. There are so many tiny flowers or circles or leaves or "somethings" that could work with so many cards, decorated boxes, etc. It's rare for me to use stamps from just one set on a project.

But if I stick to my guns about not owning more stamps than fit into the containers I have now, flipping through Avery Elle pockets is not such a chore and is kind of part of the fun of designing the project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

All of my stamps are stored by theme, and the sentiments are mostly separated from the others. I've just re-geared (again!) a bit and put "punny" sentiments with the things they are puns for ("You're a hoot!" with the owls, "Like no udder" with the cows, etc.). I have them two places in my index binder, though - with the owls or cows, and with the same type of sentiments...

I'm mulling over a separate, small index of tiny stamps to reference when I'm making tags or need small filler shapes or something (I mulled this over a year or two ago when there was a discussion of using tiny stamps to fill in shapes like a heart or a balloon, but never acted on it). We'll see how enthused I am about that after I finish the current project...

Just FYI - photopolymer and acetate are not the same thing. "Acetate" has become a common-usage word (like Kleenex or Xerox) for vinyl acetate, which is an acetate ester (film made with acetate, which has a base of acetic acid). The acidity is, I'm sure, what causes the problems.

Photopolymer, on the other hand, is a more stable substance, and is based on synthetic polymers like polyester. The "photo" part indicates that it is light-reactive, which is how the liquid or gel becomes hardened enough to be a stamp.

Acrylic stamps are a less-stable version of the photopolymer, and break down more quickly and are somewhat inferior for our uses (although I have and love and use these "inferior" stamps as much as any others in my collection, and I have some truly crappy ones, from a quality standpoint).

Lest you think I'm some kind of science geek who knows a lot, let me dispel all doubt - I'm just an "inquiring mind" and go a-lookin' for answers, lol...

estamps - good luck with that "has to be the last one" thing... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

My apologies - I wish we could edit more than a couple of minutes later. All I can do is a re-do summary.

Bottom line: 1) if a sheet may be acetate I substitute Duralar, and 2) I try not to buy acrylic stamps.

Moral of the story: don't multitask or be too sleepy when typing. And don't use two key words that start with the same letter in the same paragraph.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
My apologies - I wish we could edit more than a couple of minutes later. All I can do is a re-do summary.

Bottom line: 1) if a sheet may be acetate I substitute Duralar, and 2) I try not to buy acrylic stamps.

Moral of the story: don't multitask or be too sleepy when typing. And don't use two key words that start with the same letter in the same paragraph.
I knew what you meant (acrylic vs acetate) - I was just trying to be proactive in case someone else got lost...

You can edit your own post any time that you want to:
  • click on the number of your post (in the upper right-hand corner)
  • click the "edit post" option
  • make your edits
  • submit
You can't edit anyone else's post, but on your own you have all power... ;)

I appreciate that you join in on the conversations - always interesting things to say!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I knew what you meant (acrylic vs acetate) - I was just trying to be proactive in case someone else got lost...

You can edit your own post any time that you want to:
  • click on the number of your post (in the upper right-hand corner)
  • click the "edit post" option
  • make your edits
  • submit
You can't edit anyone else's post, but on your own you have all power... ;)

I appreciate that you join in on the conversations - always interesting things to say!
You are my hero! I'll go back and change it... thank you so much. And ditto, btw. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

I use laminated cardstock with no stamping to store the stamps, and un-laminated cardstock to stamp an index sheet to slip into the pocket if I think I need it. I just did a massive overhaul and I'm NOT stamping all of those index sheets! I'll probably do the sentiments, because those are harder to tell, but the images are pretty apparent, already...
Sue,

My Stamping Friend stamps her images onto copy paper, then (roughly) cuts them out & attaches them to her index sheet. She does that so if she gets rid of stamps or reorganizes them, she either tosses the image or moves it to a new index sheet.

I wish I had done the same thing when I was organizing my stamps into my "Jennifer McGuire" system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
Sue,

My Stamping Friend stamps her images onto copy paper, then (roughly) cuts them out & attaches them to her index sheet. She does that so if she gets rid of stamps or reorganizes them, she either tosses the image or moves it to a new index sheet.

I wish I had done the same thing when I was organizing my stamps into my "Jennifer McGuire" system.
Hey, Robin! My first index was cut-apart copies of stamp sets, and it got agonizing for me. I'm SO impatient! I got aggravated cutting them apart, putting adhesive on them, blah, blah, blah... It speaks to what we're always saying - what works for one doesn't for another, and vice versa. Thanks for another suggestion, though!

If/when I decide to stamp index sheets for the current arrangement of stamps, I'll do what I did last time: Lay the entire loaded-up carrier sheet of stamps face-up in the MISTI, tape the blank sheet that will become the index to the lid, ink up the stamps, close the lid, repeat as necessary...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Sue, I'm missing something. (So what's new? Nothing.) Not doubting you; you are your system expert. I'm just wondering why copying the original printed index sheet doesn't work - is it because you split your sets up so the original is meaningless at this point?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Sue, I'm missing something. (So what's new? Nothing.) Not doubting you; you are your system expert. I'm just wondering why copying the original printed index sheet doesn't work - is it because you split your sets up so the original is meaningless at this point?
Pretty much... Also, most of my sets are cannibalized (as in, I kept some stamps and gave away more) to the point of no longer really being sets, in some/most cases. I also have a lot of stamps that didn't come with a printed index of any kind. I keep tweaking the system (hence my "good luck with that" comment) as far as categories, because I keep finding that the category I thought of FIRST was not the category I thought of when I went looking for the stamp.

I can, in all honesty, say that I passed the point of ridiculous on the whole organizing/rearranging/indexing thing about five systems ago! My husband wanders into my room, looks at the chaos, asks "what are you doing?" and I reply, "you really have to ask?" and he shakes his head and says "no, not really" and wanders out again. In fact, his recently-adopted comment any time I lose ANYthing is "you organized it..." He's hilarious, that boy...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 01-05-2017 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 03:29 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

LOL! I won't repeat that I like his style. {thinking gift of tomato soup and Whoppers}

Anyway, whoever said that organizing can't be as much a valid use of our time as doing whatever is normally done with the objects being organized. It's our party; we can sort if we want to.

{with apologies to Lesley Gore: "It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To"}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

My thoughts exactly! It's my "stuff" and if it makes me happy to touch it and rearrange it and tuck it in to new places and systems, then hey - I'm doing that!

And yeah, the hilarious boy is DEFINITELY a keeper! Twenty-five years and he still surprises me and makes me love him more...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried using the Avery Elle pouches but loose stamps (not attached to anything else) fell out if the flap was not taped down. So I took the plunge and created DVD case inserts from a template for the other stamp companies I own like Paper Smooches and PaperTrey Ink. I love the look of clean rows with stamps protected in their cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by paris062View Post
I tried using the Avery Elle pouches but loose stamps (not attached to anything else) fell out if the flap was not taped down. So I took the plunge and created DVD case inserts from a template for the other stamp companies I own like Paper Smooches and PaperTrey Ink. I love the look of clean rows with stamps protected in their cases.
Oh I do too love the look and use. Just ran out of room to put them. I am now taking stamps off wood blocks, putting them in the DVD cases. The clear stamps are going on laminated sheets in pockets. Does organizing ever stop?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Default Stamp storage

My dvd cases
Attached Thumbnails
Can you answer this?-img_2820.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
My dvd cases
What are all of your colored "dots" on your cases for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craf-T-BearView Post
What are all of your colored "dots" on your cases for?
Main theme of set.

I.e red- xmas, green- trees and leaves, pink-fliwers, tan- words, dark blue- birthdays, lghti blue-backgrounds and so on and so on. I have a chart on my bullentin board to remind me if I forget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

...Does organizing ever stop?

LOL - no, I don't think so. At least, not if you're slightly OCD and addicted to organizing (like me). I think that might be why they had to devote an entire forum here, just for organization. At least, we all know we're in good company. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by paris062View Post
I love the look, too, but not the bulk. My goal is to be able to pack everything into an RV sometime in the not-too-distant future and hit the road. My current obsession is Skoolies (school buses that were converted into RVs). Way more affordable and drive-able and solid... But, I digress...

In order to take as much as possible with me on the road and still include DH in the project, I have to make everything as compact as possible. I have enough stamps to keep several stampers going for a couple of lifetimes, and they ALL fit into five of THESE. The sixth one has all of my embossing folders...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh I do too love the look and use. Just ran out of room to put them. I am now taking stamps off wood blocks, putting them in the DVD cases. The clear stamps are going on laminated sheets in pockets. Does organizing ever stop?
No, no it does not... I'm kind of surprised that you had to ask ("what's a rhetorical question...?") :rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default duralar

Quote:

Either sheet may be acetate. If a stamp is sticking too hard to a sheet, I assume either the stamp or the sheet or both are acetate, and I substitute Duralar for the printed sheet.

I've been adhering the printed sheet to a Duralar sheet to see the images, but the stamps are stuck to the Duralar, not touching the printed acetate sheet. I may switch to making a paper copy.
I've never heard of Dura-lar I found it on Amazon, but it really isn't clear on the description. what is the difference between that and acetate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2017, 05:37 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
I've never heard of Dura-lar I found it on Amazon, but it really isn't clear on the description. what is the difference between that and acetate?
Duralar is a polyester and for our purposes, I think what may be most important as a stamp backer is that it's acid free. Archival doesn't hurt either.

It comes in different thicknesses and types (matte, clear, adhesive backed, wet media, etc.), but for stamps the clear in a pad or larger sheets works well. I have this pad from 'Amazon plus bought a large thicker sheet for some reason.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a pretty good explanation: Dura-Lar Film

Fionna, please add or correct as you see fit?! : )
Reply With Quote Likes