Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ink pad organization

HELP PLEASE, ink pad organization. I could sure use some advice & recommendations on this!
Currently, I have a stamp - n- storage unit that holds 35 ink pads, which I love and right now it holds my T.H. distress ink pads. I also have a CTMH caddy with their ink pads and a SU caddy holding their ink pads. I have about 52 more ink pads that need a home!! Half of which are retired SU ink pads, Hero Arts and some others. I'm tossed up between ordering another Stamp - n - Storage unit or the Porta ink dual traveler.. Do I want 3 caddys of ink pads??!!
I don't get to crops anymore so traveling with my inks isn't a concern. It looks like next year we will have to relocate and I will have a craft room (basement more then likely) but not sure what it will look like!
Thanks for your input!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the stamp n storage would be the best choice. It could sit on the desk or be attached to the wall. I know I once saw someone made a small shelf and placed the units on that. (Had some desk space left due to being slightly elevated )

I made a little shelf with a piece of wood and the ikea cabinet feet. They are 4 inches tall. Also come In a set of 6 inches tall
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2016, 06:28 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree on the Stamp n Storage. Knowing me, though, I would buy enough to have ALL my stamp pads in the same kind of storage. I can't stand a lack of uniformity! I would buy several and then sell the other brands of caddies.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I, too, need uniformity, with the exception of mini Distress Inks living in labeled Tim Holtz tin boxes organized in the order of his downloadable chart. Other companies' minis also live in the boxes.

I prefer white storage so use Organize More's ink storage units, but it makes sense to go with what you have, plus not everyone needs colors against white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Stamp n Storage ink pad holder. I'm asking for another for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I own the Stamp-n-Storage wall unit. Absolutely love it for my SU stamp pads. However, I am looking for something for my 1x1 ink cubes. I've tried the Darice containers only to find that in transporting to workshops, etc, the caps come off. I've ordered the CTMH cases with the foam inserts, but I'm not sure how that will work out yet... anybody has experiences with these that you care to share??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the tim holtz pad tins. I have 4 and store the pads by color (red/pink, orange/yellow, blue/greens, brown/black).

At first I didn't think I was going to like them and then I saw how Tim stores the blending foams with the pads and I changed my mind. I have mine sitting on shelf at my work table but they would fit in a drawer or basket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Ditto Tim Holtz tins. Distress inks are stored in order of his pdf color chart. Other cube inks also fit, like Hero Arts Shadow Inks, mini Versamark and Versafine, etc. If tossing into a tote, I put a plastic band (like a rubber band but thinner) around it as insurance against something catching against the top and opening it.

The tins are labeled corresponding to the color chart, and are stacked on top of an Organize More ink holder. Like stamphappy, I put a small blending foams in the bottom of most inks, though often use finger daubers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I have the tim holtz pad tins. I have 4 and store the pads by color (red/pink, orange/yellow, blue/greens, brown/black).

At first I didn't think I was going to like them and then I saw how Tim stores the blending foams with the pads and I changed my mind. I have mine sitting on shelf at my work table but they would fit in a drawer or basket.
Thanks.. I don't know why I didn't think of that!!! I have those too, but just didn't organize them in separate tins like that. Duhhhhhh me..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2016, 02:07 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I use an old casette tape holder to store all my ink pads and it works great! Might be a cheaper option, especially if you might have one laying around or find one at a garage sale or thrift store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2016, 03:30 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

CD case from the goodwill with little shelves I cut from boxboard. I need to find another one soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the TH tins for the small cube collection; I use them the most. I also have a wall unit purchased from OrganizeMore, a small family business in Springfield, TN that holds 32 ink pads plus a row for ribbon storage at the bottom. I currently do not have all the slots filled but that works great for me . Check out their website for other great craft organizers; great quality and lower priced than some.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I actually have 2 of their marker/pens storage and they are great. Their prices are decent too! I'm actually thinking of ordering a stamp pad holder from them! I have a Stamp - n - storage unit that I have had for years now and think that I may just paint it white so it will match the marker holders.

Thank-you for your reply, I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Here in Germany there is/was a trend of making your own ink storage using "trash" from Ikea. I haven't made mine yet, but I will see if I can get a picture of one that my friend made.

Ikea picture frames (in Germany and I would guess worldwide) are delivered in boxes that have black plastic thingies (sorry, don't know what to call them) that keep the frames from falling over and hitting each other. These plastic pieces are usually thrown away. Someone realized that they are the perfect size to make an ink storage tower (the best size to use are the Ribba ones). You would use two of these plastic racks, some heavy cardboard, tape them together and then decorate. Simple, easy, cheap ink storage! Another great thing about it was that you could make it any size you needed - short and wide, or just tall.

Its not a great description, but if I can find a picture to post, it will make more sense. It became so popular that Ikea stores began refusing to let people take this trash with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I found a 36 slot wooden cassette rack at Goodwill. It works just fine. Another project of mine is painting it a fun funky color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Stamp n Storage had Free shipping and a sale. Guess what ???? ORDERED my Christmas Present early...Can't wait till it gets here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24-7stamperView Post
Stamp n Storage had Free shipping and a sale. Guess what ???? ORDERED my Christmas Present early...Can't wait till it gets here.
I ended up ordering from Organize more. I purchased the 60 ink pad holder. Even though it wont match my ink pad holder from Stamp - n - storage it will match the 2 marker holders i have from Organize more. I will probably at some point paint the ink pad holder from Stamp - n - Storage white to match the marker holders. I purchased when it was the daily special / deal it was 15% off! Hopefully it will be here around the 1st of the year :( So in the mean time I can get things more organized and moved around!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Connie thank you - I love when people come back and tell us what they decided. Inquiring minds ... : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Connie thank you - I love when people come back and tell us what they decided. Inquiring minds ... : )

You're welcome!
I really need to go through all my things and purge! I currently live in Buffalo (actually just south) and it looks like we will have to relocate next summer to the Syracuse area. It's only about 2.5 hours from here. I will have a craft room probably in the basement but no idea how big, etc. So I want to get things better organized! The company will come in and pack, but I told the hubby I'm packing my craft room!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
You're welcome!
I really need to go through all my things and purge! I currently live in Buffalo (actually just south) and it looks like we will have to relocate next summer to the Syracuse area. It's only about 2.5 hours from here. I will have a craft room probably in the basement but no idea how big, etc. So I want to get things better organized! The company will come in and pack, but I told the hubby I'm packing my craft room!!
What a great time to pare down to what you love. Moving is never easy but hopefully it will be a good one!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

What a great time to pare down to what you love. Moving is never easy but hopefully it will be a good one!

Beth
Thanks Beth! It is bittersweet. I love where I live!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I live in North Tonawanda, NY. Finally getting my own craft room. Have a few more things to do at the new house then we are moving in this weekend.

Quote:

Thanks Beth! It is bittersweet. I love where I live!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 02:16 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I use just about all of the fabulous suggestions given by our SCS buds. Here's a few pics. The first is from organize more, an 80 and 24 slot storage unit. My regular size distress inks are in my rolling storage drawer. Nothing fancy here and it's fine to store them on their sides. My mini cubes are in a combination of Tim Holtz tins and SU wood stamp storage cases, also in my rolling storage drawer. I love the convenience! I use my distress inks a lot, so it works for me.

Hope the photos help show the great ideas from our buddies. Love SCS!!!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Wonderful photos, thanks Anne! What's your Distress inks usage since you have regular and mini- are you moving to minis, or have dups or...? And which cart is that? I have a Raskog, but no drawers.

I have one Organize More ink unit and love it - and suggest to anyone getting one that you consider larger one than you think you'll need! I need another now. The company is so nice.

My mini Distress inks are in tons of Tim Holtz tins, and the same for Hero Shadow and Versafine cubes, plus a few tear-drops that wandered into the house in kits or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Wonderful photos, thanks Anne! What's your Distress inks usage since you have regular and mini- are you moving to minis, or have dups or...? And which cart is that? I have a Raskog, but no drawers.

I have one Organize More ink unit and love it - and suggest to anyone getting one that you consider larger one than you think you'll need! I need another now. The company is so nice.

My mini Distress inks are in tons of Tim Holtz tins, and the same for Hero Shadow and Versafine cubes, plus a few tear-drops that wandered into the house in kits or something.
Hi Bjeans, I use the large distress inks the most, but the mini ink pads are great for smaller ink projects. If the mini sets were available years ago I don't think I'd buy the full pads. I love my small Mementos, hero arts, and even some mini SU's. With my Watercolor tubes, pencils, pans, and now my brand new Zig brush markers I don't think I'm missing any colors in this universe. I really have to stick to my resolution to cut down, somehow I never stick to it. I really really need help;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
Hi Bjeans, I use the large distress inks the most, but the mini ink pads are great for smaller ink projects. If the mini sets were available years ago I don't think I'd buy the full pads. I love my small Mementos, hero arts, and even some mini SU's. With my Watercolor tubes, pencils, pans, and now my brand new Zig brush markers I don't think I'm missing any colors in this universe. I really have to stick to my resolution to cut down, somehow I never stick to it. I really really need help;)
The last time I helped, eighty Zigs jumped into your cart, heart and home, so maybe I should help less. ; )

And what kind of drawer cart is in the photo?

I need to start collecting Distress re-inkers, especially since almost all of my Distress inks are minis. They're not like Versafine, for example, that seemingly lasts forever. I love the price of the minis and got a bunch for $2.24 each recently, so the reinkers are more of an investment than the than pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

The last time I helped, eighty Zigs jumped into your cart, heart and home, so maybe I should help less. ; )

And what kind of drawer cart is in the photo?

I need to start collecting Distress re-inkers, especially since almost all of my Distress inks are minis. They're not like Versafine, for example, that seemingly lasts forever. I love the price of the minis and got a bunch for $2.24 each recently, so the reinkers are more of an investment than the than pads.
That's OK Bjeans, I do like the Zigs. Tried them out on a couple of kittens, stamps verses real kittens of course;). Yes you need reinkers, my turn to enable! The cart is the Tim Holtz cart, I really like it. Lydia gave a link to a company that has similar carts, loves hers! I already had the Tim Holtz cart, otherwise would have considered ordering. BTW the Tim Holtz cart has come down in price, check it out. I've another older cart, don't remember who makes it. It's much larger and stationary. Don't forget to order reinkers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Neat cart. I don't have room for another cart, and love the Raskog, which is short enough to push under the new tall Linnmon trimmer table along with my 12x12 paper cart when not in use. (Who knew adding a table would open up the room!) But I sure like the drawers on your cart.

Organize More just came out with removable divider trays with handles for Alex drawer units, and they should (fingers crossed) do the trick for some small item organizing:

https://www.organizemore.com/blogs/n...check-them-out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to sound like the voice of reason?? I would think that you should just keep those inks that you like to work with all the time. I only have distress inks and a few coloured inks from SU and momento. Only if you are working full time at stamping and crafting as your job would you need that many inks. Okay now you can all jump on me. lol

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I won't jump on you because I kinda, sorta agree - shhh...don't tell...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 12:19 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Quote:

You're welcome!
OT: Connie, if you move, get in touch. We have regular stamping get togethers here (plus other NYS locations).

Back to topic: I have my inks stored in a cassette holder which hangs from the wall, which works really well for me. However, my retired inks are in a Stampin' Up! holder plus some are in the original boxes the sets came in.

My reinkers are stored in a nail polish holder that hangs on another wall.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 03:55 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V.View Post
I am going to sound like the voice of reason?? I would think that you should just keep those inks that you like to work with all the time. I only have distress inks and a few coloured inks from SU and momento. Only if you are working full time at stamping and crafting as your job would you need that many inks. Okay now you can all jump on me. lol

Lorri
lol! How do you define "that many?"

I don't have lots compared to some, but lots more than you. I do use them. Color is the engine behind what I make and a big motivator. I slowly ROYGBIV'd inks to fill in color gaps.When there were gaps, sure as weather, I'd need/want a color from the gap.

I admit I have too many of a few Distress ink colors. Me at an LSS: Oh, what a pretty color! X 3 = 3 worn lipsticks. I finally made a chart. (Don't ask if I bring it to the LSS's.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 04:48 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Just dawned on me the same could be said for stamps. {ducking} Or paper. How many sentiment stamps are actually used? Flowers? Cute anything?

But it's so easy to get more. I was making a tea bag wallet for my mother-in-law. I don't use much DSP, and think I have plenty. But I couldn't find what was in my mind's eye: grayed lavender, including a small floral pattern, to play nice with pictures on two DVD sets we bought her. If I had had more time I would have bought more paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

In addition to using an old cassette for the few full size ink pads, I store my mini distress ink cubes and markers in clear ArtBin cases which fit into my raskog cart.Much bigger than Tim Holtz ink pad storage tins and they're clear with an attached lid.

ArtBin Prism Box Single Compartment | Jo-Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 05:43 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
In addition to using an old cassette for the few full size ink pads, I store my mini distress ink cubes and markers in clear ArtBin cases which fit into my raskog cart.Much bigger than Tim Holtz ink pad storage tins and they're clear with an attached lid.

ArtBin Prism Box Single Compartment | Jo-Ann
Oh my, I think you've just enabled me, and in a good way. I love the Tim Holtz tins for Distress inks, and don't mind grabbing a stack of tins.

But now I'm using them for other companies' cubes and it's getting a little unwieldly, since I have to look at the Organize More rack plus tins to select colors.

About how many cubes do they hold? If you don't know, that's okay; it looks like lots. ArtBin has some good stuff. Thank you! (Yay.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 05:52 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Oh my, I think you've just enabled me, and in a good way. I love the Tim Holtz tins for Distress inks, and don't mind grabbing a stack of tins.

But now I'm using them for other companies' cubes and it's getting a little unwieldly, since I have to look at the Organize More rack plus tins to select colors.

About how many cubes do they hold? If you don't know, that's okay; it looks like lots. ArtBin has some good stuff. Thank you! (Yay.)
There is enough room to stack in one containers for 64 mini distress or other minis of the same size cubes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

I prefer clear storage containers that I can see through. If I can't see it, I'll forget it, lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I prefer clear storage containers that I can see through. If I can't see it, I'll forget it, lol...
I hear you! lol Same here. I think that box is a little large for my purposes, but you opened my brain and let in the light! Amazing how I effectively I can put on blinders to the obvious and not consider great and simple options.

Ideally I'd like one 6x6 or 6x8 with a removable lid. I found a 6x6 Essentials box, but it's a little tall and the lid is attached. But between Amazon and a nearby Container Store and super-sized JoAnn's, I'll find the perfect Bohodiva solution. I'd rather shop on line, and have only visited JoAnn's twice, but noticed they had a ton of boxes.

I guess 12/23 or 12/24 isn't the very best time to go shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

If you have any of the old clamshell containers left over from "back in the day" when Stampin'Up! put their stamps in them, the 6" x 9" (ish) fits 24 cubes perfectly!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
If you have any of the old clamshell containers left over from "back in the day" when Stampin'Up! put their stamps in them, the 6" x 9" (ish) fits 24 cubes perfectly!
Ooh, sounds perfect. I wasn't around back in the day (well I was, but wasn't stamping), and only have a few SU stamps or supplies. I did fall in love with the glue dots on the roll. They saved me the last couple of days, so easy to press whatever to the roll to have the dot adhere.
Reply With Quote Likes