Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Organizing excitement

;) I have a bit of an organizing blitz going on at the moment, partially inspired by Jennifer McGuire and good old Pinterest! I have an abundance of craft supplies more then I could possibly ever use, I think I went through a stage where the hobby was collecting rather then crafting, that stage last a few (read about 10) years. Over time I have had organizing spurts, get disheartened or choose a system that just doesn't work but after spending some much time implementing a system it is hard to face facts and say it does work and start all over again! or is that just me :rolleyes:

I need something to spur me on to get me back crafting again, I have a craft studio, is it all white and matching, no, it's a blend of old office furniture and recollection cubes, is it the brightest room, no, it's in the basement but I have 3 OTT lights, and I have more storage then most, more room then most, and I have a door I can close that means I don't have to tidy up between visits

I started by following Jennifer McGuire and what she called her secret weapon, she has a drawer that has card blanks and the blank card fronts ready to use. (Video: Paper Storage + Creative Spaces Vol. 3 Blog Hop + GIVEAWAY - Jennifer McGuire Ink) So I am going after work to pick up my card stock which I had cut and I already picked up 1 clear plastic container from Home Outfitters and I will pick up another one tonight....so excited. I am not really sure why, but I just 'feel' this will work for me. I am not sure I will put them in a drawer to start with, I think I will have them on my desk, I have room, I will make that decision once I have it all home.

I spent a few hours yesterday reorganizing my plain 8 x 11 cardstock, so that I have less in packages and more ready to grab when needed so I don't have to go looking for a particular shade of green that I KNOW I have somewhere.

I also got some (yeah found more 6x6 and 8x8 then I knew I had) cardstock and put that in a container on my desk so I can grab it as needed.

Right now, I think I need to see things to use them.

I love seeing the variation in colours, and I think I need to use that to inspire me to get crafting again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I hear you! I recently read this post by Creative Cardsea and thought it was a great idea, and I really like the concept behind MFT's Blueprints. I'm also a HUGE fan of Jessica Rone and the way she layers up papers and cardstock, and Michelle Wooderson makes up "inspiration stations" for various holidays/seasons. I've been percolating all of this in Odd Brain, and I think that I'm going to spend a day or two chopping up papers and making diecuts and putting everything together in batches - probably in some of the empty DVD cases I have hiding under the bed - so they're ready to roll. FAR TOO MANY dies and papers have never been used, and it's high time to change that! Thanks for the nudge...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 05:35 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I love the idea of making your own kit, I have done the shopping basket trick before where I have 'shopped my stash' instead of going to the store!

Getting things ready, so you can just grab and get crafting appeals to me as I spend so much time thinking 'where do I start'...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been making my own kits for awhile now. I usually take an older printed paper pad, cardstock to match or blend, gems, ribbon, my old stash of Paper Frills, and an assortment of stamps. I started with my wood stamps, especially those never used [yes I had some] or those that hadn't been used in years and put every thing in legal size plastic envelopes and whenever I wasn't working on seasonal cards I'd pull out this envelope and make cards. I now have a huge stash of cards made and some stamps that are either given to friends or donated since they no longer fit my style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Sounds like you have a great space. Congrats!

Turn on a radio, and like Nike says, just do it. Pick anything in your pins at random. Dont over think it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2016, 04:05 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Great going, Jukie! You inspired me to finally take cardstock to one more place to get it cut.

Did you cut the fronts in different colors?

(I'm going to get cut my lower quality cardstock into Avery Elle insert-sized pieces a la Jennifer McGuire too. Having a stack of pockets and inserts will push me to keep stamps organized in their categories, and I make more when organized. Right now I have a bunch of stamps sitting in the front of their bins.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, Sue, MFT's Blueprints are neat! I could see making up multiple sets in different colors and putting them in pockets to have ready to go. Or course white could be inked/blended/colors/watercolored.

The only thing they don't do is keep my wallet closed. ; )

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Great going, Jukie! You inspired me to finally take cardstock to one more place to get it cut.

Did you cut the fronts in different colors?

(I'm going to get cut my lower quality cardstock into Avery Elle insert-sized pieces a la Jennifer McGuire too. Having a stack of pockets and inserts will push me to keep stamps organized in their categories, and I make more when organized. Right now I have a bunch of stamps sitting in the front of their bins.)

For now I just went with the white cardstock, but if this really works I will get them to do coloured card stock as well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut up a piece of colored cardstock into card fronts, put in rainbow order and made a box to store it in. I can much more easily match DSP as I'm not shuffling through swatches, can find what I am getting low on. It is a variation of Connie Stewart's stamp simply system and is working for me. Large scraps can fit back in so I don't have ziplock baggies any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Those who want to prep card stock and DSP should go to simplysimplestamping
Connie Stewart developed something she calls "flashcards". Watch both videos on u-tube to learn efficient cuts --portrait and landscape. This was really a game changer for me especially for scraps. I used her measurements and everything fits together. No more ittty, bitty time wasting scraps for me. The space it saves; the time it saves; the paper it saves is incredible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
Those who want to prep card stock and DSP should go to simplysimplestamping
Connie Stewart developed something she calls "flashcards". Watch both videos on u-tube to learn efficient cuts --portrait and landscape. This was really a game changer for me especially for scraps. I used her measurements and everything fits together. No more ittty, bitty time wasting scraps for me. The space it saves; the time it saves; the paper it saves is incredible.
and take the time to watch some of your videos using those flashcards. They are worth the time to watch. She does a great job.
Reply With Quote Likes