Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone tried any of the really cheap dies on eBay?

I've been looking on eBay for all kinds of stamps and anything related and I ran across these really cheap dies.. they are all from China.. but some of them are really cute. And I don't have very many dies.. I'm a bit tempted to try one.

What do you think?
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 03:10 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I can only speak for one I have bought recently. I do have another on the way though! I bought a cheap version of this Memory Box die.

UK currency, retails for about �14. I paid �3.50 for mine, from China. It cuts perfectly, no problems at all.

So, based on that, I'll order more as I see them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to check all the dies by Gina Marie designs. She has lots of lovely designs, and you can't beat the prices. Especially for the sets of classic shapes, circles, squares, rectangles, ovals. Her stitched dies are very nice. Most of the classic shapes are only $10 per set, which is a real bargain.

Lots of us here have ordered these dies and have been very pleased. Here's a link:

*** GINA MARIE DESIGNS *** | Scrapbook Outlet

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you Shaz... I think I'll definitely give one a try and see how it does.

Bugga, thank you for that link. I can't wait to check it out.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is a link to an ebay page with cute dies and wow prices. I have made several purchases from China vendors - non craft related - and never been disappointed yet. The transaction is through paypal so no problem with the payment method. The parcels come as e-packets from China and generally takes about 3 weeks. So, if you are not in a hurry those dies look like a good deal. For less than $5 a set, why not? I'm not sure if are the same dies you were looking at - but they are cute and cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Hahaha, yep, that's them! I'm kind of excited to try them!
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Here is a link to an ebay page with cute dies and wow prices. I have made several purchases from China vendors - non craft related - and never been disappointed yet. The transaction is through paypal so no problem with the payment method. The parcels come as e-packets from China and generally takes about 3 weeks. So, if you are not in a hurry those dies look like a good deal. For less than $5 a set, why not? I'm not sure if are the same dies you were looking at - but they are cute and cheap.
Dang! Why did you have to post the link that I couldn't resist clicking?
You are sooooo bad...now I'm gonna have to order some of those puppies. :lol:
I'll just tell my dear hubby that someone on SCS lead me astray. By the way, thank you! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Boss, just don't buy them all! hahaha I want some too! I may only try one or two though at first... make sure if you get them, you let us know how they do. ;)
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
Boss, just don't buy them all! hahaha I want some too! I may only try one or two though at first... make sure if you get them, you let us know how they do. ;)
How did you know I had filling my cart at EBay? Ha...have several items from 3 different vendors. Decided to let them sit my cart overnight so I can think about them. Trying to figure out if I should stick with the seller who has 99% positive feedback or live dangerously and go with one who has a 98.7% positive rating just to save 50 cents per item. Can you tell I've been overdoing on the search thing?! :shock:

Think it's time for bed. I'll peek at my cart in the morning. Happy shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have all the dies from this seller on EBay. They are as good as any other die you can buy. Quality is fine! I also have most of Gina Marie's dies and they are awesome. Also search for Find it Trading dies on EBay. They are lower priced dies from Holland that I sell quite a few of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Boss, hahaha! I know what I would do, so I can only assume any other craftaholic would do the same. ;) I have a LOT of them in my watch list... :shock: Like crazy amounts. Oi. lol I am so glad to know I am not the only one who is searching the heck out of this stuff.

Amber, that is AWESOME news! I'm really glad I started this thread now.. so anyone who doesn't already know about this can join in the fun. I definitely want some of those from Gina Marie.. I love the ones with the stitching!
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 03:56 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

thanks for starting this thread...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 04:34 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have many, many dies from Gina Marie and from the sellers from Asia on ebay. Have not been disappointed with any of them. I must say, if you are buying from China the delivery time is a long time (several weeks). So, I don't order from there if I need the die soon. But other that that I have had no problems and the work great. The price is low and FREE SHIPPING, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 04:36 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Sewnmachine...Could you give me the info on the site for all the dies from Chine so I can send it via email to my crafty friends. Some of them don't do Splitcoast. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 05:54 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
Sewnmachine...Could you give me the info on the site for all the dies from Chine so I can send it via email to my crafty friends. Some of them don't do Splitcoast. Go figure.
Sounds like your crafty friends need to get a clue and join us here! Just sayin'...ha..;). Tell them this is where the cool kids hang out! :cool:

Personally, I followed the link immediately so I wouldn't lose track of the seller. I thought I was a good searcher on EBay, I realize now I'm amateur. I depend on the Pros here on SCS to lead me astray....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Popped an order in this morning for 10 dies. Just got notice that 3 of the dies shipped today! Wow, that was fast. Still have 7 to ship and the. 3 weeks or so in the mail. By the time they arrive I'll forget what I ordered!

I'll report back on quality and my shopping experience when the first batch arrives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

OMG! I had never shopped at Gina Designs before this thread. I was seriously missing out but my order just placed will help my progress. SCS is the BEST.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think my last order from China took a little over a week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 04:31 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a thought on buying from the Chinese company - and please feel free to ignore me. I'm used to it; I'm married. ; )

U.S. companies, including LSS's, can't compete with those prices. We all know that companies that support paper crafts have gone out of business and will continue to, both wholesale/retail and LSSs. Undercutting and often copying of products that Chinese manufacturers do can contribute to the problem.

It's happened in many industries. Glass is an example, both art glass (bowls, sinks) and lamps. You can find very well made copies of lamps in Home Depot from Chinese companies. The originals aren't made any more - couldn't compete. (I used to work peripherally in that field.) Then there's the side issue of supporting Chinese labor, which can be brutal for workers.

Thinking about this, you know how people have posted that the cardstock they used to buy at Michaels is now made in China and the quality is poor? Does anyone still have an original package to check where it used to be made? I wouldn't be surprised if a U.S. company lost a chunk of business - and of course that can contribute to layoffs.

This post is just food for thought - and we don't all like the same foods, right? (Well maybe except for one that starts with a c.) So ignoring me is legit. I'm not judging one iota - just tossing this out to chew on - or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Just a thought on buying from the Chinese company - and please feel free to ignore me. I'm used to it; I'm married. ; )

U.S. companies, including LSS's, can't compete with those prices. We all know that companies that support paper crafts have gone out of business and will continue to, both wholesale/retail and LSSs. Undercutting and often copying of products that Chinese manufacturers do can contribute to the problem.

It's happened in many industries. Glass is an example, both art glass (bowls, sinks) and lamps. You can find very well made copies of lamps in Home Depot from Chinese companies. The originals aren't made any more - couldn't compete. (I used to work peripherally in that field.) Then there's the side issue of supporting Chinese labor, which can be brutal for workers.

Thinking about this, you know how people have posted that the cardstock they used to buy at Michaels is now made in China and the quality is poor? Does anyone still have an original package to check where it used to be made? I wouldn't be surprised if a U.S. company lost a chunk of business - and of course that can contribute to layoffs.

This post is just food for thought - and we don't all like the same foods, right? (Well maybe except for one that starts with a c.) So ignoring me is legit. I'm not judging one iota - just tossing this out to chew on - or not.
Well thought out post. Thanks for sharing! I totally concur with what you have said.

Having just ordered some of these dies, I thought about the ones I chose. Every one of them was a design that I hadn't seen offered by any stamp/die company in the US that I follow (maybe somebody does carry these dies, I just don't know it). I justified my "intentionally shopping in China" with the thought that I wasn't bypassing an American company to do so. Not sure that this makes it any better, but this money that would have staying in my wallet, it wasn't $ diverted from a USA vendor.

Appreciate you weighing in on this, it's a topic that is often on my mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

The VERY wonderful Michael's cardstock was made in Texas, USA. I have a big supply BUT I feel bad that M's went to China for a very inferior product and then had the audacity to raise the price to 14.99. SHAME ON MICHAEL'S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I think that at least one of the CHEAP die sellers also buys from China and sells those dies for a little more that she paid for it. Nothing wrong with her doing that but I think it is hard to tell where the products we but are really from. And, yes I do buy those cheap dies. I am amazed at the prices of some of the big die companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I think that at least one of the CHEAP die sellers also buys from China and sells those dies for a little more that she paid for it. Nothing wrong with her doing that but I think it is hard to tell where the products we but are really from. And, yes I do buy those cheap dies. I am amazed at the prices of some of the big die companies.
Gina K. has openly talked about her dies being made in China, and how she looked for a manufacturer in the U.S. Her dies were never made here. : )

I agree - price differences are kind of amazing. I've been impressed by some of the pricing by Concord and 9th - not low, but not at the top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

The VERY wonderful Michael's cardstock was made in Texas, USA. I have a big supply BUT I feel bad that M's went to China for a very inferior product and then had the audacity to raise the price to 14.99. SHAME ON MICHAEL'S.
Agree. You have to wonder how badly the U.S. paper manufacturer was affected with such a big take-away. Michaels sells a lot of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Another cheap source is **********.com Search for cutting dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for your post, bjeans. You said exactly what I wanted to say but you said it so much better. No judgment on my part either; everyone is accountable for him- or herself. But slave labor is unacceptable to me. So is the blatant ripping off of someone like Dave Brethauer, the owner of Memory Box, who has been in this business a long time and has worked hard to make his company what it is today. I have no personal affiliation with him or his company; I've just been a long-time fan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

There was a post maybe a couple of weeks ago, from someone wondering what these cheap dies on E-bay were like, and if they were worth the money. I said then I'd had a couple which were fine, and that I had some more ordered.
I'd posted this in a thread I created today, as I couldn't find this original post. Thanks BJeans, for pointing me to it.

These are the dies I ordered. As you can see, they all cut fine. Although I admit I had to shim the Snowflake square a bit to get it to cut in the centre, I think that says more about the uneven pressure from the machines rollers than the die, to be fair.
The Snowflake Square is 5 1/4" square, and cost me �3.65.
Conversion rate is roughly �1 = $1.30.
The winter scene is 2 3/4x 3 3/4, cost �1.80.
Butterflies are 2 1/4 x 2", and 2"x ! 1/4, cost �.1.44.
The 4 panel frame cost �3.09, measures 4 1/2 x 3 1/4.
There is also an embossing folder, which measures 4 1/4 x5 3/4, cost �1.41.
Total cost to me was �11.39, shipping was free. I'd have paid at least that for any one 'branded' die.
So, are they worth it? Absolutely.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Silverwolf, I ordered 2 of the dies you showed in your photo - the deer die and the frame w/ Windows. (I ordered a bunch more at the same time 😉).

Anyway, my first shopping experience was good, with the exception of one die missing from the shipment (the frame die with windows, dang!😪). I put in a request for refund on EBay and will see how it goes...
Anyway, I tested every die and they cut flawlessly, and they were nice quality for weight and sturdiness. And no pesky weird black marks on the edge of the diecuts that I sometimes get with new spellbinder dies.

I, too, had one or two intricate dies that had portions that didn't cut all the way through (I've had this happen with other intricate dies, so no surprise). Instead of shimming, I decided to try the Precision cutting plate that I bought for my Big Shot. Wow, that sucker works!!!!! One pass through and every line cut through perfectly, even on heavy 140# watercolor paper. Highly recommend getting this specialty plate, it's a winner!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Oh Shaz, I love those!! Esp the deer and snowflakes! I like that EF too... was it from the same seller? I have ordered two of the dies.. at two different times, just to see if I'd like them. It sounds like I will. I'm so excited. I need to go back over my watch list on eBay and decide which ones to order next. =)

Susy, sorry to hear about the mistake on your order.. that's frustrating. :/ Hope that all gets worked out for you.. I'm super glad that you liked the dies though. What is the Precision plate you referred to? I need to look that up.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I too need to go have a look for the Precision plate. Yes, Dreamsinpink, the folder & dies all came from the same seller.This seller, has about 5 pages for crafts/papercrafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Shaz, that's for eBay.uk... I don't think it's the same.. I went through all their stuff and opened all the windows.. and tried to add to my watch list and it asked me to sign in.. xD hahaha! That's ok.. I'll find them, ;)
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Here's a link to the Sizzix Precision base plate that works in the Big Shot for cutting intricate dies:

https://www.amazon.com/Sizzix-Access...R34AYM8VM8BXG9

In my Big Shot the sandwich when using this plate, bottom to top, is:

Normal Big Shot platform (with all the tabs in place)

Precision base plate (with softish black cutting surface facing up)

Cardstock with die on top, cutting blades of die facing down toward CS

Big shot cutting plate (regular old cutting plate)

Crank it through and if you feel like it, reverse it through the machine so that it comes back to you. Voila! Now clean up all those tiny little chads as they cascade out of the die cut.

Some people on Amazon said that they used this in conjunction with the magnetic base plate, rather than the standard Big Shot Platform. I tried this, once, and it didn't work. Can't recall if it was scary-tight and I decided not to force it or if it was too loose to make good cuts.
Also, be certain to ALWAYS cut into the softish-black surface on the Precision plate - this is where the magic happens. The other side of the plate has writing on it and says not to cut on that side. I suspect that the reviewers who said the Precision plate didn't work are not using as recommended by the manufacturer. Just a guess...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks Susy! That's some great info! On a side note, you mentioned scary tight... what should I do if I'm using a normal items and it seems to stop wanting to go through? I've cranked a bit harder than I probably should a few times.. I don't want to break my Big Shot. Last night, I was using the magnetic platform, (I just got it less than a week ago and have used it a handful of times.. I love it!) and 80lb cardstock and a couple of thin dies.. but it seemed, a little... tight. It went.. but making it go through like that scares me.. but there wasn't anything I could take away... unless I use one less cutting plate? Idk.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

If you type Cutting dies from China in the search bar, it will take you to the listing. Sorry, brain wasn't working last night, lol.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 09-19-2016 at 11:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Thanks Susy! That's some great info! On a side note, you mentioned scary tight... what should I do if I'm using a normal items and it seems to stop wanting to go through? I've cranked a bit harder than I probably should a few times.. I don't want to break my Big Shot. Last night, I was using the magnetic platform, (I just got it less than a week ago and have used it a handful of times.. I love it!) and 80lb cardstock and a couple of thin dies.. but it seemed, a little... tight. It went.. but making it go through like that scares me.. but there wasn't anything I could take away... unless I use one less cutting plate? Idk.
When I used the expression scary tight, I meant that I felt like I could force the plates through, but I would have to put some muscle into it, as opposed to when things feel a "tad tight". When they are a tad tight, the plates start through pretty much normal and then you feel resistance (and sometimes snapping!) as it passes over the wafer dies. It feeling a tad tight is no big deal especially if your bottom cutting plate is humped or bowed.

I've also noticed the snapping/crackling sound whenusing some new wafer dies the first time. In fact, I just had that happen with 3 of the border style China dies that got. And when I think about it, after that happened I decided to switch from the magnetic plate combo to the Predision plate combo. No snapping after that....hummmmm.....

I had a dear friend who ruined her top tabs on the bi shot platform by forcing the plates through when it was scary tight. She was new to the Big Shot and not being mindful of when to flip tabs, etc. She wanted to Use an embossing folder and didn't bother with the instructions to flip back one of the tabs. It was too thick and when she horsed it through, it creased and ruined one or more of the tab sheets. She had to unscrew the tab package from the platform to even make it useable again. Total mess and totally preventable. :rolleyes:

Her nasty experience is why I am mindful to not keep cranking if I sense the Big Shot hesitating to accept the plate combo I'm trying to use. This is also why I automatically grab my old Cuttlebug plates (A+B+B) when I use embossing folders in my BS. They work in the BS perfectly and I don't have to flip tabs back and forth to get the right sandwich for the BS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks Shaz! That link is quite handy! =)

Susy, Yes, I knew what you meant. hehe... is there anything else I could use in place of the Precision plate? I am just not sure what to do in a case where I am using the recommended sandwich and it gets too tight. I've forced it before, and I know now I shouldn't have and don't want to face that again.

I recently bought the Texturz starter kit, with the silicone pad and some embossing plates and another plain black plate. I haven't used it yet, so I'm not sure what the plain black plate is called.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Thanks Shaz! That link is quite handy! =)

Susy, Yes, I knew what you meant. hehe... is there anything else I could use in place of the Precision plate? I am just not sure what to do in a case where I am using the recommended sandwich and it gets too tight. I've forced it before, and I know now I shouldn't have and don't want to face that again.

I recently bought the Texturz starter kit, with the silicone pad and some embossing plates and another plain black plate. I haven't used it yet, so I'm not sure what the plain black plate is called.
I'm sure there are other solutions to the issue of "mama bear - just right" cutting plates/shims in the big shot....that being said, for $13.50, to have the perfect-every-time solution to the problem is well worth it to me. I have used the Presision plate multiple times now and I am totally loving the results. By the way, this is a STURDY plate with a metal housing for the softish-black surface. It will not bend or warp over time like the acrylic cutting plates. It is a high quality cutting plate and I get the feeling it should last a very long time without diminishing results. I consider this a wise investment because it works beyond expectations and takes the guess-work out of cutting intricate dies.
Disclaimer: I am not being paid by Sizzix for the glowing review of the Precision Plate, but I sure should be! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, $13.50 is a good price for piece of mind for sure. I will invest in one. If for no other reason, than to at least have another option for my sandwich. Thanks Susy!
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Just wanted to report back here on the one stitched frame die I ordered from China that was missing in the shipment. Totally shocked and pleased at how quickly I got a refund to my Paypal account from the seller. I reported the problem and requested a refund on Sept 19th and I just received notice of refund on Sept 20th. I'm very impressed with the result!

The seller did request that I not leave neutral or negative feedback if they resolved this to my satisfaction. That worked for me! I did leave glowing feedback, and it was deserved.

Must admit that I was expecting to eat $3.79 as a cost of doing business, but my cynisim was misplaced. (Seller might have noticed that I had placed 2 more orders after this 1st order with the missing die...being a repeat customer may have influenced their quick response. 😉)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Yes, $13.50 is a good price for piece of mind for sure. I will invest in one. If for no other reason, than to at least have another option for my sandwich. Thanks Susy!
You are welcome! Hope you are as impressed with it as I am.
Reply With Quote Likes