Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #1  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went to my Michaels today......

YOu may know this but we have had family illness...been out of the loop.......when I was at Michaels..........NO Martha Stewart products...NO cuddlebug products...........very few wood stamps. This was a shock.......
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 04:19 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they have and still are changing things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Indeed they are.

Today I got an email from Art Impressions that they are now carrying the previously exclusive Michaels and Hobby Lobby AI sets on their own website-"great for international and people who were not near stores" which is true.

But that presumes your store even had them. I have seen a couple of them from time to time, but not all and certainly had no idea they were exclusive to the store-the store should have stickers for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought some 110 lb weight cardstock at Michaels and now they don't have it. I looked for lenticular photo stickers and after 2 or 3 visits I found them in the decorating holiday section. Along with some neat stamps and dies bit no price....sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They still have 110lb cardstock BUT... it is now made in China, the white is thinner and sort of greyish, and 14.99. I complained to the mgr that the China paper was "crap" and that I knew that it was a corporate decision not his, but he was the only person I had to pass my opinion on to. He said he would pass the word on at their weekly meeting. Hmmmm. Yesterday, at a Michaels near me, I told the cashier that I was a Sr Citizen (for my discount). She said "There is no Sr. Cit. discount. There is a AARP discount and I would need a AARP card". I told her that every M's I go to honors the S.C. discount. She said "Not this one". Customer service??? I checked with 4 M's today and they all told me that there is no longer a AARP discount. It is a Sr. C. discount for ALL people over 55. I will be calling the M's that said no sr.c discount tomorrow. You have to watch cashiers like a hawk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Customer service at M's Tanasbourne Portland is terrible. The manager dude is so disinterested and duhish when I ask for help. He was not even aware the recollections white paper now from China and a quality issue.
You can walk by several stone faced employees on the floor and not one asks if you need help. When you do ask......well, not a helpful experience. Really, the store could use a real buyer too....obviously not in the stamping business. Like a junk store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I hadn't been to a Michaels in years because I live in Germany. While back home in May I went to Michaels in SC and in Georgia, and have to say, it was very disappointing. Not only did I not find any of the items I was looking for (AI stamps, or any stamps for that matter), but the store was dirty and the employees not very friendly. The item I recently purchased online arrived dirty as well (it was a scrap tote). Not the M I was used to! Went to JoAnns and Hobby Lobby and got almost everything I needed there!

Was there a recent change in management? I vaguely remember something about one of the craft stores being bought up by another company?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I haven't been to Michaels recently. I still have 110# card stock. Last time I bought it was $12.99. So I will be checking it out soon. I use a coupon. I tink I have a 50% off good through tomorrow yet. Maybe I'll run up just to see. I still have quite a bit of white left, but i already tossed the page with the info so I can't tell where mine was made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't been to a Michael's in over a year... now I'm not sure I even want to waste my time. I don't have one close. I also hadn't been looking for stamp stuff at Hobby Lobby or Joann's for a while... and when I went to those stores recently, I was disappointed. More so with Joann's than HL... they just don't have the stock they once did. I'm sure it's due to so many items being purchased online now. Don't you think?
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

I would not drive miles to get to a Michaels these days. I prerfer in person but not in the last what? Three years now. I have one near to me, so I do go but if you were talking about a 1/2 drive or more...probably not.

imho-It is patially online shopping but it is also the buyers dont keep up with the stock. I see stamps that are 5 yrs old in the stores. Really?

I am sorry to hear that about the 110 paper. i would send that complaint online to corp myself and ask for it to go to the buyer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I would not drive miles to get to a Michaels these days. I prerfer in person but not in the last what? Three years now. I have one near to me, so I do go but if you were talking about a 1/2 drive or more...probably not.

imho-It is patially online shopping but it is also the buyers dont keep up with the stock. I see stamps that are 5 yrs old in the stores. Really?

I am sorry to hear that about the 110 paper. i would send that complaint online to corp myself and ask for it to go to the buyer.

Every once in a while I go onto Mikes FB page to look at "customer complanits". I have read two or three complaining about the white 110 card stock color being off and made in china.

I have also read on SCS that some people contacted corporate regarding this issue.

So one day I was reading, came across another paper complaint. mikes responded they will forward customers complaint. Well, I responded back to the reps response and told her that there has been several complaints from paper crafters about this paper being made in china and quality is off. I said these complaints were sent to corporate and they should already know about this problem.

Guess What.....the whole thread, customers complaint, reps response and my comment were DELETED within two hours of my post!!!!

That's Michaels for you:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

Yeah, it's more than a 1/2 hour. That's how long it takes me to get to a Pat Catan's and Joann's. Michael's would probably be more like almost an hour. And Hobby Lobby is an hour too, but in the opposite direction of Michael's. haha that's what happens when you live out in the middle of nowhere. ;)

And even though it's a trek, I'm sure I'll make it down to Michael's at some point fairly soon. Just to see what they have if nothing else. I'm prepared though to be less than impressed... not just due to comments here, but after seeing all the other stores slimmed down selection of stamps, etc.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

In defense of stores, I see more and more people are only shopping when they have a coupon, and only buying the coupon item. I don't know how they can continue to survive if this is the norm. I know in my case, I only buy an item if I have a coupon, OR if they have something already on sale that I wanted. But I spend much more at my LSS because she will order stuff I want. I got the crazy birds craze started in her store and she sold out of the extras she ordered when she ordered mine and had to reorder. Plus she got the cats in too. She is ordering me a bigger set of zigs next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 10:50 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

That is true muscrat.. I always look for coupons, but I do buy things that don't have a coupon, or if they aren't on sale, depending what it is. If it's a store I know has 50% sales frequently on their stamping stuff, I try to watch my email or their online store to know when it is. I've not ordered anything stamps online.. other than buying some used from members of a FB group I belong to. I like to see them, especially sizes.. size in pictures can be deceiving and can result in disappointment. I try to be careful about checking dimensions, but sometimes they aren't listed for each individual stamp if it's in a set.

What is 'LSS'?
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Local stamping store. I use that to mean a locally owned shop. I have this one I frequent as often as I can. She has better prices than anywhere else. The only time I've found cheaper prices is with a 50% off coupon and even then it isn't a lot cheaper. She does not have a big markup.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Ohhh ok... eesh.. all these acronyms.. hahaha! I'm OLD and they make my head spin. :P

But yes, I should check out a couple places near me too... hmmm.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 02:39 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I live close to a Mike's and I go maybe once a month. I never buy much.....rhinestones, Tombo, some $ stamps,etc. I always use the 40% discount on one item. Love getting things like ATG tape @ 40% off!

As Muscrat said I'm buying small items and one of them at 40% off!

My Mikes has Martha S still! Mine is clean, well -stocked, and inviting! Strange how different they are.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 09-01-2016 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I live close to a Mike's and I go maybe once a month. I never buy much.....rhinestones, Tombo, some $ stamps,etc. I always use the 40% discount on one item. Love getting things like ATG tape @ 40% off!

As Muscrat said I'm buying small items and one of them at 40% off!

My Mikes has Martha S still! Mine is clean, well -stocked, and inviting! Strange how different they are.

Ohh, this gives me renewed hope. I'm definitely going to have to pay mine a visit soon.

And btw, I LOVE your signature! haha xD
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

They are very different. If I go to one a little further away, I'll be greeted, and if I'm in the front looking vaguely confused (my norm), someone will pop over to see if they can help. OTOH, the one 10 minutes away? I can ask where something is, and will be sent to the wrong part of the store or the clerk won't know what I'm talking about.

I think Michaels still has some good deals on some items, and never go without a coupon in my phone, though some Michaels will scan a coupon they have at the register for you. And recently a cashier rescanned a coupon of mine to help out the woman behind me. : )

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

*wonders what mine will be like* I might actually make it there this weekend.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 03:28 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Jennifer what I did to help myself "see" online stamp sizes...I took an A2 postcard, drew a grid on it-marker every inch and pencil every 1/2 inch. It lives by my computer. If I am not sure how big something is, I just line my fingers up on the grid.

What you need to be careful about is sometimes they dont tell us the stamp size-they tell us the size of the sheet the stamps are on with cling and clear...so will say "4 x 6" package. Then you have to imagine it in your head or look at sample cards. I like sample cards a lot myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
Ohh, this gives me renewed hope. I'm definitely going to have to pay mine a visit soon.

And btw, I LOVE your signature! haha xD
Your Michael's may turn out ok! Mine still has a fair number of stamps, not sure about cuttlebugs. That's where my bug came from 8 yrs. ago.

I forget about my signature line. Yes, it still makes me smile too!

Do you have any Stampin Up Demos in your area? You can look on SU's site for demos in your area. I got started stamping 11 yrs ago when a demo invited me to a class. I've made so many friends and have had so much fun because of that one invite!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

That's a pretty good idea wavejumper. Thanks!!

Allistamps123, I'm not sure. I know there are some sort of local reps.. I am not sure I want to go to a demo. I already want soooo much. lol
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Jennifer, I commisserate! The closest StampinUp rep in my area runs a monthly stamping group, and there's a $25 minimum purchase per month. When I started out that would have been fine. But I'm trying to shop intentionally now, and don't want to buy things just because I love them. It's so difficult and I often fail.

But something Laura Bassen (doublestick heaven) said on a video that Lydia (understand blue) moderated about wishing she could go further with stamp sets/dies she already had really resonated. I love that kind of self-challenge, especially with geometric shapes and natural elements like leaves/flowers.

Laura can't take the time to stretch her stamps/dies because she has assignments to fulfill from companies. But I don't have that excuse. So going to the SU events would put the kid (me) in the candy shop. Still trying to work that out since going sounds fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=bjeans;21313330]Jennifer, I commisserate! The closest StampinUp rep in my area runs a monthly stamping group, and there's a $25 minimum purchase per month. When I started out that would have been fine. But I'm trying to shop intentionally now, and don't want to buy things just because I love them. It's so difficult and I often fail.

Well put. I try to buy if I will use it for something, not just because it is just so darn cute. Not to say that I don't impulse buy, (I do, you know I do) but when that happens I "punish" me by making me use that item. Twice if I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

[quote=southgirl;21313363]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Jennifer, I commisserate! The closest StampinUp rep in my area runs a monthly stamping group, and there's a $25 minimum purchase per month. When I started out that would have been fine. But I'm trying to shop intentionally now, and don't want to buy things just because I love them. It's so difficult and I often fail.

Well put. I try to buy if I will use it for something, not just because it is just so darn cute. Not to say that I don't impulse buy, (I do, you know I do) but when that happens I "punish" me by making me use that item. Twice if I can.
lol! One of my goals is to use a stamp or die in many different ways. You're accomplishing my goals. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
That is true muscrat.. I always look for coupons, but I do buy things that don't have a coupon, or if they aren't on sale, depending what it is. If it's a store I know has 50% sales frequently on their stamping stuff, I try to watch my email or their online store to know when it is. I've not ordered anything stamps online.. other than buying some used from members of a FB group I belong to. I like to see them, especially sizes.. size in pictures can be deceiving and can result in disappointment. I try to be careful about checking dimensions, but sometimes they aren't listed for each individual stamp if it's in a set.

What is 'LSS'?
For you, Jennifer: What do all those acronyms mean? HELP? by parisotremba at Splitcoaststampers

It's the first thread under "Start Here" on the home page. I would have been a little bit lost without it. Or asking is fine, too. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

[quote=southgirl;21313363]
Quote:

Thank you, southgirl. : ) And what am I looking at right now? A big, honkin' stars punch, of all things, that lets you punch them anywhere on a page. OTOH, I've had it on my Amazon wish list for months and finally caved.

Actually, not a wish list. It's the "save for later" list, which is there any time you click on your cart. More visible = more dangerous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

I have a Michaels and JoAnn's close by home. Love our Michaels and know all the sales people as well as the manager. Have never had an issue! Today the salesperson went over to the register, and told the cashier to give me 60% off on spray paint. Very kind of her! Guess living in the South, we have a lot of southern hospitality.....I have been to other Michaels further away, and have not found one as nice as the Cary, NC one five miles away.
Our JoAnns has gone down hill due to turnover in managers and sales people. And their prices tend to be higher than Michaels. Guess I am fortunate!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

As the thread title says....went to Michaels today! Boy was I impressed! I guess it pays to stay away a while. I bought the bristol smooth surface paper that has been suggested yo use with zig brushes and I got an elegant writer marker. But I found Dr. PH Martins watercolors that Kristina Werner uses! They were nearly $70 but I could have used my 50% off coupon. And I found Molotow masking fluid pens! They are getting in some items finally that people use online. Then I went to ACMoore and was impressed again, even though I got lost because they have moved everything around. I got a 6x6 Halloween paper pad, tombow refill adhesive and a color wheel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, I also went to Michael's today. I wanted one of the Hot Buy 12x12 pads they had in the ad. I found the display, and while it's often very sparse, it was JAM packed. And that was a problem, because there was no place for me to move anything to so that I could look for the stack I wanted. Meanwhile, the manager was on the phone RIGHT THERE complaining to who I assume was another manager about someone calling in on the holiday weekend.... and since she wasn't available to ask about it, I sat on the floor and started looking through stuff.

FINALLY found the stack but it wasn't what I wanted. Did find something for my secret sister in a swap, and a travel case for me, so not all was lost. (But dear lady who, when they got to the line, promised her 9 year old they'd come back on Monday for canvases-- it's not going to be less busy tomorrow.)

So I made a spur of the moment decision later to go to Joann's-- there was a 60% off coupon in my email. I was glad I did. I found this stack which is so much more like I thought the one at Mike's would be. It's so lovely. I can't wait to craft with it. (Of course, since it was 6pm and the store closes at 7, there was only one cashier and like eight people in line, but that's a different problem. LOL.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

But something Laura Bassen (doublestick heaven) said on a video that Lydia (understand blue) moderated about wishing she could go further with stamp sets/dies she already had really resonated. I love that kind of self-challenge, especially with geometric shapes and natural elements like leaves/flowers.

Laura can't take the time to stretch her stamps/dies because she has assignments to fulfill from companies. But I don't have that excuse. So going to the SU events would put the kid (me) in the candy shop. Still trying to work that out since going sounds fun.
Doing what you are doing is HARD!! I've been on a bit of a shopping spree. lol I bought in the stores over the weekend, and when I couldn't find a few things, I ended up shopping online. I really hope I didn't go totally overboard. :rolleyes: We'll see. This whole 'I can't create anything' goes back to my inspiration thread. I won't muddy this one with that.

But, thinking outside the box when using your stamp sets.... Oi. I applaud you if you are able to do it. I can't even think inside the box right now. hahaha!
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 05:12 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

"Trying" is the key word. Don't give me too much credit for not buying. I bought a crow stamp set today because i love crows. (One has trained me to go out to our deck feeder area to give her a treat when she calls me.) And a stamp/die set I've wanted for a long time is coming back in stock today so I'll buy it.

But stretching the sets we have is something I love - especially with geometrics, which are favorites.

Enjoy your new stashy stuff!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Ohhhh.... crows?? I LOVE crows... do you mind if I ask what set? You can PM me if you'd like. xD

Well, I made several purchases.. and lots of it just came in the mail!!! Yay! So maybe I'll be more inspired.

I'm going through the gallery. Wow. So many gorgeous cards and neat, creative ideas!!
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Here you go, Jennifer. We can stamp and crow about our work together. ; )

https://heroarts.com/shop-sidebar/dc...rds-stamp-cut/

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Hahaha, thank you! Those are adorable.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Today I went to my Michael's and found 2 packages of 110 lb white cardstock made in the US! They had quite a few of both black and ivory 110 lb too. I used a coupon for one of the packages and paid full price for the second one but was not going to leave the store without it. I have enough of this heavyweight paper to last quite a while now. And I got a cute ceramic pumpkin marked 70% off. I went home very happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Awesome Diane!! I'm going to be heading to mine after the first of the month.. that's when my hobby budget rolls over and I can go shopping again. lol
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I found the "made in US 110lb white" way in the back of all the new "made in China 110 lb white". You can really see the difference in the colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 757 Likes on 545 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
Today I went to my Michael's and found 2 packages of 110 lb white cardstock made in the US! They had quite a few of both black and ivory 110 lb too. I used a coupon for one of the packages and paid full price for the second one but was not going to leave the store without it. I have enough of this heavyweight paper to last quite a while now. And I got a cute ceramic pumpkin marked 70% off. I went home very happy!
Today I was happy to find the "made in the USA" 110 lb heavyweight card stock at Michael's. I bought one each of the ivory and the white since they only had the made in China packages when I shopped there a few weeks ago.

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes