Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recollections Cardstock: Buyer Beware!

This afternoon I opened a new pack of Recollections white cardstock. The first thing I noticed is that it felt less smooth than the pack I had just finished. I grabbed a half sheet that I had left from the old pack to compare the smoothness. What a shock--the new cardstock looked gray next to the old. Not just a little gray, but a lot! I also compared it to some Georgia-Pacific that I have, and it was grayer than that. I'm sure they won't take back my opened package, so I'm stuck with it, but I won't be using it. I used Neenah Classic Crest Solar White #110 before I tried the Recollections. That first Recollections pack seemed like a not-too-bad, cheaper alternative, but not any more. I'm very disappointed. My Michaels had been out of the cardstock for a while, so I'm guessing they have a new vendor.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I've been hearing this from other people. Should probably complain to their headquarters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have found a new one I am using exclusively now. Hobby Lobby now has Heavyweight cardstock in packages of 50 for 8.00. I buy 10 at a time when need, but only on sale for 50% off every few weeks. This is nice heavy base weigt that I have used for all the ivory cards in my galkery. They have ivory, white, blackmand several different mixed colir packages. Its 4.50 for 50 piece pack on sale. It was just on sale this week thru tomorrow but will be on sale again in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Are you referring to the 110 pound Recollections or the white 65 pound?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 11:41 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Recollections cardstock is now made in China and it is not the same as their CS that was made in the USA. I have some of their old CS and their new CS.

For a few years I used Recollections 65# CS for paper flowers. I bought some new CS and did not realize it was different until I used it .

I always spritz water on the back side of the flower or leaf petals before I shape them. I was surprised when the fibers raised and flaked off when shaping them after I spritzed them with water. :confused: Plus it creased badly when I was embossing and shaping. The finished flowers were a bit limp after they dried and did not hold their shape as well . The new Recollections CS is also thinner than the old stuff.

Finally I checked the new Recollections CS and my old Recollections CS and saw the difference. The new Recollections CS is made in China.
The old CS was made in the USA . Clearly different companies .

Amber is correct! I went to the Hobby Lobby CS too and it works great . I put too much work into my flowers to have them limp and look wrinkled and not hold their shape .

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-01-2016 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

This is the Hobby Lobby 65# CS I am using for paper flowers and it costs the same as Michael's best sale price . HL sale price is $2.00 for 50 sheets

8 1/2" x 11" - 50 Sheets Cream Cardstock Paper Pack | Hobby Lobby | 848622

Hobby Lobby regular price is $3.99 for 50 sheets and Michaels regular price for their #65 CS is $4.99

I never bought the white Recollections 110# CS. I buy Gina K's 120# base weight CS and I really like it. I think Amber is using the Hobby Lobby 110# CS for her bases

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-02-2016 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

Call me cranky, but I would be marching that opened pack right back to where I bought it, along with the sample from the last pack and demanding my money back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

LindaBabe, not calling you cranky at all. Thats exactly what I would do too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Canada Goose, the cardstock I wrote about was the #110. Amber, thanks for the info about HL cardstock. I'll check that out. Barbara, I didn't notice that it was made in China. That explains a lot. LindaBabe and Shazsilverwolf, I think I will take it back and see what they say. It can't hurt, and maybe if they get enough complaints, they'll go back to the Made in USA cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Recollections Cardstock

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperManipulatorView Post
Canada Goose, the cardstock I wrote about was the #110. Amber, thanks for the info about HL cardstock. I'll check that out. Barbara, I didn't notice that it was made in China. That explains a lot. LindaBabe and Shazsilverwolf, I think I will take it back and see what they say. It can't hurt, and maybe if they get enough complaints, they'll go back to the Made in USA cardstock.
Thanks for clarifying. I have a new package I have not opened and one that is. I will compare the two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

The more returns and complaints, the better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Im not sure what the weight of the HL heavy weight is but its great !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I just bought a pack of whit 110 card stock last week. I checked and states made in TX. But I did notice that all the #65 colored card stock was from China.

Just want to say, complaining at store level won't do anything. You have to complain to Corporate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

It's sad, because so many people liked Michael's #110 cardstock for card bases. They're done themselves a disservice by changing it so drastically. When I bought it, I noticed that the edges were uneven. I just thought it hadn't been packaged carefully. I wish I'd noticed that it was made in China. Leslie, you're probably right about complaining to corporate. I'll see what happens when I try to return it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,163 Likes on 497 Posts

yes they make you big packaged 15.99 that one Is still U.S.A. And all white and color is made in China. So that China cardstock is useless don't waste your money on that stuff. They force us carfters to buy the big packaged 15.99 And Hobby Lobby is high in the white what are weights? It dose say?
8 1/2" x 11" White Heavyweight Cardstock Pack | Hobby Lobby
And here...........8 1/2" x 11" - 50 Sheets White Cardstock Paper Pack | Hobby Lobby | 455535 Do you ladies Like paper studios paper stamps and watercoloring and ect? Thanks hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Arrived home Monday from winter home and checked out my paper. Both are USA made which I purchased in Mesa, the last package 10 months ago which is still intact.

I am home in Canada and will check with Michaels here for the label. Perhaps we should stock up while we still can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Just want to say, complaining at store level won't do anything. You have to complain to Corporate.
And I've found that complaining via JoAnn's customer service line is like talking to a block wall. They listen and say how sorry they are that you received disappointing service, etc. and then they move on to the next call. I don't think they even write down any information to pinpoint problem areas. They are like a band-aid, just there to pretend to help. Perhaps a letter to corporate? Though I don't have much faith in that either.

I have all but given up on JoAnn's and Michael's -- except for paint, ATG adhesive and Michael's Recollections 110# cardstock, and now it looks like I can scratch the cardstock off my list of reasons to visit Michael's a few times a year.

The closest Hobby Lobby is almost an hour's drive away, but the good news is that I'm in that city once a week so I'll have to check out the recommended paper and keep an eye open for the sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I totally agree Melissa59. I have emailed Joann's a couple of times and got an automated response that someone will get back to me in 24-48 hours. NEVER have I received a response! The same thing with Crafter's Companion. Guess they don't really care what the consumer thinks.:(
Marsha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamarshaView Post
I totally agree Melissa59. I have emailed Joann's a couple of times and got an automated response that someone will get back to me in 24-48 hours. NEVER have I received a response! The same thing with Crafter's Companion. Guess they don't really care what the consumer thinks.:(
Marsha
I've always gotten a response from Crafter's Companion. Try calling them instead of sending an email: 800-399-5035.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Well, what can I say? EVERY time I find a good product, someone makes the decision to change it. AND, they didn't even drop the price. Same price for a inferior product. I actually liked the color of what I will call CHINA better. I was excited. The weight seems the same or so close that I couldn't see any difference. Yay! A friend asked if I had tried it with my Copics yet? I hadn't, so I opened a package. Hmmm! Not smooth like the US made. Kind of fuzzy. Oh Oh! Stamped one image on each of China and US. Colored them. China seems to smudge the ink, but not US. NOT A HAPPY STAMPER. All I use to color with is Copics. I am going to sort my many packages of paper. I hope most of them are US. When did this happen? I think I saw "Heavy Weight" in JA. Has anyone tried it? As far as complaining to management (anywhere) I really don't think they care. Have a great day. Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
Well, what can I say? EVERY time I find a good product, someone makes the decision to change it. AND, they didn't even drop the price. Same price for a inferior product. I actually liked the color of what I will call CHINA better. I was excited. The weight seems the same or so close that I couldn't see any difference. Yay! A friend asked if I had tried it with my Copics yet? I hadn't, so I opened a package. Hmmm! Not smooth like the US made. Kind of fuzzy. Oh Oh! Stamped one image on each of China and US. Colored them. China seems to smudge the ink, but not US. NOT A HAPPY STAMPER. All I use to color with is Copics. I am going to sort my many packages of paper. I hope most of them are US. When did this happen? I think I saw "Heavy Weight" in JA. Has anyone tried it? As far as complaining to management (anywhere) I really don't think they care. Have a great day. Bobbi
I find using the recollections paper for copic does not work that well. If you want a less cost paper for copics I feel Georgia Pacific card stock a better option. I feel this brand is much better for copic use.

I also use ginaK white card stock for copics or Papertey card stock. These are a little costly as I have to pay shipping cost, but I feel these to brands work very well for copics. Papertry has bleed through. ginaK does not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Just an update. I returned my package of Made in China cardstock. The cashier seemed interested in the difference between it and the Made in USA. It seemed like a personal interest, so maybe she's a crafter, too; however, I imagine it will go right back on the shelf, and some other unsuspecting soul will buy it. I doubt that cashiers pass on any information about the whys of returns. I'll look for contact information for Michaels home office and let them know about the difference between the cardstock made here vs. China.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I use the 110lb. card stock from Staples for my bases....a lot cheaper than Michael's.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 04:59 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I use www.marcospaper.com for most of my cardstock. They have lots of sales, and I buy most of mine at stamp conventions. They have a Cougar 100 lb that rivals any other white cardstock I've seen. Guess I won't be buying Michael's paper anymore. Didn't buy much to begin with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

It looks like the Hobby Lobby Heavyweight cardstock packages are on sale this week for $4.50! I dont need anymore right now so you ladies can have plenty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

In response to this thread, I have found an alternative. I have used Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover 80# since I began using Copics many years ago. I would layer my images on PTI or Recollections 110# cardstock.

After seeing this thread, I began searching for the Hammermill in 100#. I knew they made it; I just didn't need it while I had the Recollections. I found it online at Office Supply last week, have already rec'd it and love it. It's $14/ream - 250 sheets. It is super smooth, cuts and folds beautifully. They sell the 80# also, cheaper than at Amazon which is where I first got mine.

Free shipping $45.00/minimum order

AND they have a craft department, with Sizzix cutting plates, embossing folders, Cricut cartridges and replacement mats, stamps, 6" paper pads, art supplies, Scor-Pals, paints, quilting supplies - oh my word! I didn't see all of this last week! I think I've just found my new one-stop shop!

Plus you get coupons if you sign up for their newsletter. I got one this week for $15 off my order... in no way connected with this site, just a happy customer! I had my cardstock in 2 days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Linda, Do you have a link? I Googled Office Supply and got listings for every place that sells office supplies
Thanks
Barbara

PS I also use Hammermill Color Copy Cover 80# for my Copics too and have used it for years . It is the best I have found for Copics plus it goes through my printer without any problem for Digi's

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-11-2016 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Linda, I also tried to find 100# Hammermill on office supply, but no luck. I found 11 x 17, but I really wanted 8.5 x 11. Is that what you got? Thanks...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Barbara, here's the link: https://www.officesupply.com, and the direct link to the Hammermill: https://www.officesupply.com/search?...igital%20cover

Yes, mheartm, I got the 8.5 X 11.

And Barbara, I think you sent me some of the Hammermill, which is how I got started using it! I was using the XPress-It and stamped that PSX boat for you.

The 100# is on sale right now for $12.00/ream.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 04-13-2016 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just opened some of the Chinese-made Recollections 110# paper - it sure is gray - I'll use it for card bases, but guess I'll be switching to Hobby Lobby's.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Barbara, here's the link: https://www.officesupply.com, and the direct link to the Hammermill: https://www.officesupply.com/search?...igital%20cover

Yes, mheartm, I got the 8.5 X 11.

And Barbara, I think you sent me some of the Hammermill, which is how I got started using it! I was using the XPress-It and stamped that PSX boat for you.

The 100# is on sale right now for $12.00/ream.
Wow Linda I forgot about that. I use the 80# for my Copics and buy it by the ream. Hammermill goes through my printer without any problems .My son loved the Ship on the card , in fact a picture of it is in my gallery

The Link you provided doesn't work for me and I must be a ditz because I can only find it in a case of 1500 sheets for $87 - Help LOL

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-13-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #32  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post

The Link you provided doesn't work for me and I must be a ditz because I can only find it in a case of 1500 sheets for $87 - Help LOL

Barbara
I don't think you're a ditz, Barbara - I'm running into the same problem! I wonder if they're sold out of the reams right now? Durn, and they just sent me a coupon for free shipping, no minimum order, for today only! I wish you and a few other stampers lived close-by, and we could split a case between us! LOL!

Boy, this paper is hard to find! I went through the first 5-7 pages on Google & checked a lot of places. Either they only had the 11x17, or the cases...or they were a small shop selling little packets of 25 sheets! I think I ran into one or two places with reams, but they wanted $23 & up for it. LOL, and there were a good handful of Ebay dealers selling the reams for around $35-40!! (I look at Ebay a lot - find some great deals sometimes, but it's almost hilarious to see what some sellers try to charge for items...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2016, 04:48 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have found a new one I am using exclusively now. Hobby Lobby now has Heavyweight cardstock in packages of 50 for 8.00. I buy 10 at a time when need, but only on sale for 50% off every few weeks. This is nice heavy base weigt that I have used for all the ivory cards in my galkery. They have ivory, white, blackmand several different mixed colir packages. Its 4.50 for 50 piece pack on sale. It was just on sale this week thru tomorrow but will be on sale again in a few weeks.
Good to know! I'll be getting some of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
It looks like the Hobby Lobby Heavyweight cardstock packages are on sale this week for $4.50! I dont need anymore right now so you ladies can have plenty!
What brand is this card stock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobookittysgrannyView Post
Hobby Lobby has their own brand of card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobookittysgrannyView Post
Hobby Lobby has their own brand of card stock and embellishments called Paper Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Recollections Card stock Buyer Beware

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrickView Post
I use the 110lb. card stock from Staples for my bases....a lot cheaper than Michael's.

Cathy
That was my go to paper before I tried the Recollections 110. If Michael's does let the quality drop here I will go back to Staples, and that one will go through my printer no problem as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

I rushed right out to HL on Thursay. All I could find was the Paper Studio white. It didn't seem heavy at all. It didn't say the weight. I didn't see the pkg with the banner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I thought I was just being a cardstock snob ;-) One of the things I really dislike is that you can buy 2 pkgs of the same red (or any other color) ... and they do not match. This is the main reason I use SU exclusively for my 'keeper' projects. For the people I know will just toss the card after a couple of days, I'm not as picky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am also a "match up" snob. But you can't always rely on Stampin Up to match exactly - it usually does, but once, when I really really wanted to get an exact match, it didn't.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes