Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embossing Inks?

Hi, I'm not a new member, but I have a question. Which ink(s) do you use for heat embossing. I have so many, I don't know which are which. Is it VersaMark ?, or some other kind? I know there are pigment inks, alcohol inks, watercolor inks, but I need the one that works with heat embossing. Can someone help, please?

Thanks
Bobbie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Bobbie. I am wondering if you mean ink pads rather than just inks with your question? Pigment ink pads are used for embossing as they are stickier and take longer to dry than dye ink pads. Alcohol and watercolour inks are liquids in a bottle rather than a medium held in a foam or sponge pad, and therefore are not suitable for embossing. Certainly alcohol inks would dry way too quickly to get the embossing powder on. VersaMark is a clear pigment ink pad, that is, without colour. You can use it for embossing, just remember that all colour will have to come from the embossing powder. For example if you stamped with VersaMark and embossed with clear embossing powder, then the image would be clear. If you stamped with VersaMark and embossed with white embossing powder then the image would be white. Make sense? Let me know if you would like more information.
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Hi Bobbie,

Yes Versamark is the way to go!!!

You can also use pigment inks as they take longer to dry and therefore give you enough time to chuck some embossing powder over the stamped image

Hope this helps

Brittney
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I have not used heat emobossing in years, so I bought a Recollections pad and refill for embossing. (it was all they had in the store) The pad is dry, so when I tried to refill it, it stayed on top. Wiped that off, and put my item, a small paper crown, on the pad. it stuck. Got it off, and sprinkled some Ranger embossing powder on in, and evidently the embossing ink did not cover completely.
So, How do you do small pieces of paper. Is the 'embossing ink' supposed to be thick and really sticky? thank you. I have looked all over for the answers so as not to bother those of you who are really expert, but have been unable to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

No knowing what kind of ink is the 'Recollections pad and refill,' I don't know if it's the proper kind for heat embossing. It would need to be Pigment ink (clear or color) or Embossing ink (clear, like Versamark), which is very sticky.
Stamp your image on cardstock, then apply embossing powder (color or whatever) then apply the heat. After that is all dry, cut it out. If you are working with a small image that is already cut out, you would have no way to hold it when your heat gun is blowing.
Does this answer your question?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

I figured it out after doing some research, the ink had some bad feed back, but it was what Michaels had when I bought it. It is clear ink and refill for embossing. Don't buy it. I cut the images with my silhouette, so they are done. it was not a problem doing them, the ink did not go on evenly and was so sticky I could hardly get it off the pad.
Thank you for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Buy Versamark for heat embossing! They should have that at Michael's too! If you shop at Amazon, they have them there too! You can also use Pigment Inks and clear embossing powder to get the same color as the Pigment Inks. But most people use Versamark and embossing powder that's Clear, White, Silver, Gold, Copper, or Black. There are others, but those are the most popular.

Hope this helps!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Thank you, it was storming here, so I ordered some that will be here Monday. The Versamark. The Recollections was my only choice at Michaels. As big as Houston is, their selection of papers and paper crafting supplies is woefully small. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes