Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Attaching Die-cut Sentiments

There has to be an easier way to attach my Happy Holidays die-cuts to 100 cards for which I've already bought the supplies.

I've got 7 different glues, 3 different double-sided adhesive sheets, 3 different ways to get the cardstock out of the dies once they are cut, but a cap on my patience right this minute, after 3 days of experimenting, trying to find the right combination. And to make it worse, the die I like the best, out of the 3 I bought, turns the gold cardstock green. Why oh why do companies think paint is a good idea on their dies, I wonder.(rhetorical question of course!)

Do you know of an easy way to attach sentiments to each other and then to your card?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the double sided adhesive sheets not work?

Stick the cardstock to the adhesive sheet then go through the cutter .. it should turn it into a sticker.

I've never heard of companies painting the dies .. that does seem dumb!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Have you tried attaching a whole sheet of adhesive to a whole sheet of card stock and then diecut? The you just have to peel off the adhesive and stick it down
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here are a couple suggestions:

1. Use Ranger .5 Oz. MINI MULTI MEDIUM MATTE Glue Adhesive Paint INK41511 at Simon Says STAMP! and Quilled Creations PRECISION TIP Empty Applicator Bottle 317 at Simon Says STAMP!

2. Use a Xyron sticker machine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I would do what muskrat suggests and use Stick It sheets — a little pricey but could save your sanity!

Amazon.com: Stick It Die Adhesive Sheets - Large Size
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Of the adhesive sheets, Stick It is the only one thin enough to cut in my Big Shot. BUT, after the adhesive-backed die is cut, exposing the adhesive of the die-cut is another story. It peels off VERY CAREFULLY in pieces, stretching parts of the word such that it's difficult to adhere the word to stack on another of the same word OR adhere straight directly to the card, especially if the word is long like holiday or birthday.
I do have the precision tip applicator BJLEE suggested. Love it! I filled it with ScraPerfect "Best Ever Glue" and dotted it along each of the letters. That was even faster than the fine-tipped Zig glue pen I used last year. However, those who use Stickles know how you're squeezing the bottle and everything's great until it burps and a blob of the stuff comes out and messes up your fine straight line. Well, both the Zig pen and the Precision Tip do the same thing. Maybe only once or twice per word, but then you have a clean-up job while the other dots of glue are drying-out before you're done. AYE CARRUMBA!

Bless you all for responding. I'm off to look into a Zxyron machine. Has anyone used it on a long word without stretching space between the letters?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

yes, to the Xyron question I have used mine on long words and you just you know be careful. and be sure to get the Xyron glue eraser if you get one... because, no matter how hard you rub on that second sheet before you peel them apart there will be glue boogers...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Burnishing ( a lot ) really helps with getting the backing off the adhesive.
I use the sizzix sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

sorry - not sure how I double posted :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 05:22 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I have to tell you that my standby for adhering die cuts to rough surfaces remains the glue dots made with Aleene's Tack It Over and Over. I save my used Xyron papers and make sheets of tiny glue dots for just this purpose. My table looks like a mess overnight, but then I just stack the sheets and place them in a DVD case. They haven's failed me yet! Even on glitter rough papers...this is where 2x adhesive and xyron didn't work for me. I also find them especially useful for adhering die cuts or other embellishments to a dry-embossed sheet, as the surfaces are uneven.
I have used the xyron for my cricut die cuts on smooth cardstock, and did get those boogers of glue, but cleared up the debris as much as I could. Stacy's caution about careful removal of longer words is something I'd echo. I can't use any precision tip adhesive device as it's so very rare that I hit the mark on the placement on the first try! Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Default Oooooooops!

The Stick It double-sided adhesive sheets have easy-peel splits in the backing that I totally missed because I was putting my dies along the length rather than ACROSS the length of the sheet. The splits are 2 1/2 inches apart and each runs the LENGTH of the sheet. If the die doesn't cross one of those splits, getting the adhesive-backing off the die-cut is almost hopeless.

Many thanks for all the responses.

Last edited by Bahb; 06-23-2015 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
The Stick It double-sided adhesive sheets have easy-peel splits in the backing that I totally missed because I was putting my dies along the length rather than ACROSS the length of the sheet. The splits are 2 1/2 inches apart and each runs the LENGTH of the sheet. If the die doesn't cross one of those splits, getting the adhesive-backing off the die-cut is almost hopeless.

Many thanks for all the responses.
Bahb - Just another viewpoint...Maybe you need to rethink this project and not use the die cut sentiments and go in another direction. Sounds like a lot of frustration, particularly for so many cards.

I remember a story I once heard from a motivational speaker. She was talking about being flexible. She said: "Okay, you are expecting 20 women for lunch at your house in one hour. You need to run to the store and get the raspberries for your dessert. Your local store doesn't have raspberries. What do you do? Most of us said, "Go to another store to find raspberries." And if they don't have them? "Well, go to yet another store."

She suggested, "Get strawberries instead. Then go home with plenty of time to enjoy the lunch and your guests."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
Of the adhesive sheets, Stick It is the only one thin enough to cut in my Big Shot. BUT, after the adhesive-backed die is cut, exposing the adhesive of the die-cut is another story. It peels off VERY CAREFULLY in pieces, stretching parts of the word such that it's difficult to adhere the word to stack on another of the same word OR adhere straight directly to the card, especially if the word is long like holiday or birthday.
I do have the precision tip applicator BJLEE suggested. Love it! I filled it with ScraPerfect "Best Ever Glue" and dotted it along each of the letters. That was even faster than the fine-tipped Zig glue pen I used last year. However, those who use Stickles know how you're squeezing the bottle and everything's great until it burps and a blob of the stuff comes out and messes up your fine straight line. Well, both the Zig pen and the Precision Tip do the same thing. Maybe only once or twice per word, but then you have a clean-up job while the other dots of glue are drying-out before you're done. AYE CARRUMBA!

Bless you all for responding. I'm off to look into a Zxyron machine. Has anyone used it on a long word without stretching space between the letters?
Before you peel off the back try sticking the front side to a piece of post it tape or blue painters tape. I like using Silhouette transfer material too... you can kinda see through it and that helps with placement,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Try spray adhesive. I have a box and a lid that, together, make a great spray box. I spray all my delicate die cuts, especially words. Works great.

Cindy/CA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I have seen Jennifer McGuire use this method a few times but this is the only video I could find where she shows it. I know there are others she has done using this method. If you watch the video on this blog post its about 10 minutes in.

She uses a strip of post-it tape and puts the die-cut on that then picks up the post-it tape and places the die-cut on her card. Press down and remove the post-it tape.

Video: Simple Foiling + New Ranger Dye Inks + GIVEAWAY | Jennifer McGuire Ink

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I've never heard of companies painting the dies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by allhenyiaView Post
I've never heard of companies painting the dies
There are 3 that I know of, and I won't buy their dies again. In internet shops, they are posted in their colors, one is blue/lavendar, one is green, and the other is brown. You might think you would eventually get a clean die-cut but it takes too many throw-aways to get to that point. Life is short!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=buggainok;21009614]Bahb - Just another viewpoint...Maybe you need to rethink this project and not use the die cut sentiments and go in another direction. Sounds like a lot of frustration, particularly for so many cards.

I'm gonna do just that, thanks Bugga. It took me too long to get to give-it-up point because I have too much money invested In the supplies.
You're right, it's just like your berries story, and I have done that sooooo many times. I get these wild ideas for a card design or a menu, forgetting that I'm 80 years old and short on patience, energy, and time, to say nothing of money!

But asking here has sure taught me alot in terms of techniques and products, all of which I will be trying and using in the future.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Bahb;21009964]
Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Bahb - Just another viewpoint...Maybe you need to rethink this project and not use the die cut sentiments and go in another direction. Sounds like a lot of frustration, particularly for so many cards.

I'm gonna do just that, thanks Bugga. It took me too long to get to give-it-up point because I have too much money invested In the supplies.
You're right, it's just like your berries story, and I have done that sooooo many times. I get these wild ideas for a card design or a menu, forgetting that I'm 80 years old and short on patience, energy, and time, to say nothing of money!

But asking here has sure taught me alot in terms of techniques and products, all of which I will be trying and using in the future.

Many thanks!
Good for you, Bahb! Ask me how I know about running all over looking for the berries, lol. I'm also a senior and stubborn sometimes.

I've enjoyed reading about all the techniques and products, too.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I use adhesive sheets but a possible less expensive option is to make a small glue pad. I never found a glue pad I liked so I started making my own. You can cut a small piece of Cut 'n Dry Foam and add tombow mono or similar glue and tap the glue onto the back of the die cut. When I'm finished with the pad I wash it out and store it in a baggie. I've been using the same piece of foam for a long time.

An advantage of the foam w/glue is that I don't have a lot of extra glue on the die cut piece.

Note, once I put glue on the die cut piece I use my tweezers to pick up the piece and apply it to the project. I then turn the project over and use my hand to burnish the area with the die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I use Be Creative (Sookwang) tape. I place the tape on the card stock, place the die face down on the card stock and even Sizzlits and Wafer dies cut through the card stock and the tape but, not the backing...creating a sticker. I used it for 65 Christmas cards last year and had no issues at all. I am glue challenged and tend to make a mess.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

What about putting wax paper between the die and your paper to prevent it from turning green?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 04:19 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen the likes of Jennifer McGuire use a small foam applicator to dot glue onto her die cuts. she buys them from sss but you can buy them on amazon for a fraction of the price. I believe they are for applying eyelash glue. they come in a few different sizes and come in tubs of 100!!!
you squeeze some of your glue onto a craft mat and pick it up with the applicator. stops any blobbing from the bottle.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I just started using the E600 Spray Adhesive on my die cuts. It cleans up with water and has no harsh chemicals. It is a pump spray. It works on many surfaces. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Look on e-bay for those teensie applicators. They are listed for dental use. A whole bunch of them were $1.50, no shipping fee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can anyone provide the product name of these tiny applicators?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #27  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Apply Stick It! or Elizabeth Designs double sided tape to the back of your cardstock before die cutting.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

"1 x NEW Box Dental Lab Disposable Micro applicators Brush Size M" was the heading on the E-Bay tiny applicators that I bought. Factor in shipping time from China (of course).
Reply With Quote Likes