Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I make cards, but don't send them. Please discuss.

Can anyone explain to me why I do this?! I used to be much better at sending cards, or hand-delivering them. I plan them out ahead of time, take the time to make them, seem to be pretty happy with most of them, and then set them aside and never give them/mail them to the recipient.

I take pictures of every card I make, so I don't think the issue is not being able to let go of my precious artwork, ha. A couple of years ago, I designed a beautiful Easter card for my relatives and some friends, stamped and created them, had postage and my address book nearby � and never sent them.

Right now, I have a completed sympathy card for a neighbor who lost her beloved Lab. The envelope is sitting right next to the completed card on my craft table. I sure hope I get that card delivered four doors down before she adopts another pet. Grrr.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Poppy, I can't think of what might be keeping you from doing this last important thing with your cards.

Sometimes we just seem to get stuck in a behavior, and the more we don't do something, the more we don't do it.

I just want to encourage you to send or mail your cards. They do make a difference in peoples' lives. This world has become so full of electronic/instant media, emails, etc. You read an email, and then poof, it's gone!

People I send cards to usually let me know how much they enjoy receiving "real mail" in their mailbox.

Now that you know you have this problem, you are the one that has to fix it.

Send those cards, girl!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I agree bugga — I think it's somehow connected with very few people I know exchanging or sending cards anymore. It was such a strong tradition in my family but it died out about twenty years ago and I seem to be the only one doing it now (a few friends still send Christmas cards, but not many). So I guess I connect doing it with people not being interested. Maybe I'm wrong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Be the one to get the card tradition moving again! I give cards to most people I know at church and I get such positive comments. Got two thank you notes last month for cards I sent. It helps that we have mailboxes at church. I send between 65-100 Christmas cards each year too. Ohhhh, that reminds me. Tomorrow is my nephews birthday and I haven't made his card yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are several people I used to work with before I retired over 10 years ago that I am friends with on FB but really never see anymore. I got their addresses and put them on my card list and send them cards from time to time. They are always so enthusiastic with their responses! A couple of them have taken pics of my cards and posted them!

And I have a favorite daughter-in-law who lives right here in town that I send cards to at every opportunity. She told me rather shyly that she has kept every card I have sent her. I was almost appalled! I told her that was so sweet, but my goodness, that's a lot of cards to be saddled with, and I hoped she did not feel like she could never get rid of any of them.:mrgreen:

So, again Poppy, send those cards out and make people happy. You might be surprised at the response you get.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Everyone has their own thing that motivates them to do one thing or another. The trick is finding it - is it the sense of accomplishment, the fulfillment of obligation, money, recognition, the feeling of doing good, etc.?

For me, I am motivated to send cards by knowing how much others enjoy receiving them. I have received cards in return telling me that. I truly love being of service to others and being a blessing to others, and knowing that something I love to do (making cards) can be used for those callings motivates me immensely. Maybe that would be your motivator.

Another idea is to address and put the postage on the envelope right when you make the card, if you already have a person in mind as you make the card. Maybe even also write your message in the card immediately upon finishing it.

If crossing off items on a list motivates you, then put on your list sending so-and-so a card. When you do it, you get the satisfaction of drawing a line through that to-do item!

I hope you find your motivator, because I know for certain people would love to get a handmade card with a personal message inside from you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I thank you all for helping me work through it :-) I think my perception that some people are underwhelmed when they receive my cards in person is also feeding into it. I wouldn't be underwhelmed if someone handed me a homemade piece of art! But a few people have been highly complimentary, I really do love creating them, and believe in the healing power of "happy mail" so perhaps that's what I should focus on. ;)

I'm actually working on a no-sew mixed-media cloth book made from an old tea towel today, for a friend who has done so many favors for me this past year, and I just love the process of working on it for her. And this will be delivered for sure
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have donated to OWH and been requested to donate cards for silent auctions and card drives, and send out usually 40 plus cards to our "mailing list" (how do we even know that many people?) for holidays and every time I send out card I still get "stage fright". Every one always goes on about how cute they are and how much they appreciate them but there is always a little apprehension that of "what if they don't like it". Just take a deep breath and slap a stamp on it. You know you enjoy what you do and it's a pretty good bet they will too and love that you went the extra mile to do it yourself:p.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I have made cards and just forgot to mail them. I've also made Thanksgiving cards for family and never got around to sending them. I just sent them out the next year!
I do send cards out on time most of the time. I make cards and send them because I enjoy making them and people seem to enjoy receiving them. I don't get a reply for all recipients, but I know they are just busy, but do like getting a card in the mail.I think bussainok may be on to something about getting in a habit. Please send your cards even if it takes you a while to do it. People do appreciate getting a note in the mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #10  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Do you work from home? I do and so I don't have a regular routine of taking out outbound mail. (I don't check my mail often enough either because it's one of those dumb group mailboxes you have to drive to). So if I get to the stage where they have postage on them, I just put them on my husband's wallet and he mails them at work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

Last year we became empty-nesters.
( which is really a shock to the system :rolleyes: )
and I never mailed out my Christmas cards at all.
( shocking I know)
I even have family mug shots printed to go into them.

My personal circle of people I mail to is mostly complimentary about my cards. but, its not a 100% thing.
over the years I have figured it out. ( who doesn't really care)
and those people get hallmark off the shelf. :mrgreen:
and last year it seemed like too much work to address the envelopes and such.
I didn't have anything I wanted to say.
and somewhere in the last couple of months I have been getting it back.
that urge to reach out and say Hey, I thought of you today.
I hope it's a great ( insert the event here ) card to them.

and so far no one has really mentioned missing a Christmas card so, life goes on.

So, Today I am doing the envelopes for my Mothers day cards.
( I send out to my gma's and such too so there are a handful)
to me the envelope is the hardest part.
but, I drive to the PO for work every weekday to empty our box there so,
I know if I get the envelopes done they will go out tomorrow.

I don't know how to tell you how to get your "wannadoit" back
but, I wanted you to know you are not alone.

(PS I don't have a problem with donating cards either because, I don't have to do the envelopes lol)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about putting the stamps and address book and envelopes in 1 pretty box. Then when u are done - u can grab the box - add envelope and stamp. And be done done! Think of what you can do to make the last step as easy as possible
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

You have received a lot of great advice already. This happens to me as well sometimes.

Most of the time, I figure it is better to send a card late, than not at all.

Also, I try not to feel obligation about sending a card for every occasion, really just when the spirit moves me. This means my dad got a Father's Day card, but not a birthday card last year.

The one thing that motivates me is that I know the recipients really enjoy receiving them. If that's not the case for you, focus on your family/friends who are appreciative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Another "why the heck didn't I mail that?" girl here. A few years ago I had Halloween cards made for all of my kids/grandkids, in the envelopes and addressed, FOR THREE YEARS and had to re-do the envelopes because every single one of them moved in that three years. I'm better now (but only just barely)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I an a newbie to making cards compared to you all. I am entering my third full year of making cards. The first Christmas I was so bad I never sent homemade Christmas Cards. I make cards for reason. Christmas, Birthday, Easter, new grand-baby and sympathy. I take pictures of all the cards I send out. As I look back on my early cards they were pretty sad. Everyone has always been is so excited to get a home made card. Our friends, Family and dogs ( friends 3 dogs and our grand puppy ) that receive our cards are so excited when they open them because I took time to make it. When the card is finished I address the envelopes and return address and wait for the day it needs to go in the mail box. I don't hand stamp a inside sentiment I write something from my heart. My 94 years old mother-in-law is so happy when one of my husband and my card arrives. I sent her Mother's Day car out Friday. I never send a card out expecting others to send one back. I do it for enjoyment.

Last edited by gomatt17; 05-03-2015 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: missed a few words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

If it makes you feel any better, I don't even get store bought cards mailed! My reason? It's a multi-step process: 1) find the card 2) find the envelope 3) find the person's address 4) address the envelope 5) find a stamp 6) find a return address label 7) find the addressed envelope with card which I have now misplaced now that I've found the card and envelope, find the stamp again 9) put the stamp and return address label on the envelope 10) remember to take card to car 11) drive past the PO at least 5 times before remembering to mail card. Whew! Makes me tired just thinking of all that work. Maybe after I retire, I'll do better.

Which reminds me, my cousin's birthday was 2 days ago. I SWORE that this year, she'd get her card on time. Nope. Sigh.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Dea, that's exactly how I feel – I guess I'll have to hang tight and wait for my "wannadoit" to come back LOL That's great Stacy ;)

And why yes Lydia, I do work from home and my mailbox is all the way down at the end of a long driveway It's the little things that often hang us up…
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sort of new at card making but when I got started I mailed out cards regularly. Now I'm probably in my 2nd year and although my supplies have grown I find myself overwhelmed with it all. I just can't seem to sit down and start a card, sometimes I can't even think of what kind of card to make! What do I do then? Go sit down and check my email, look at Pinterest, talk to my hubby for a couple of minutes and then feel guilty about not getting a card ready to mail.

Once I get started though, I hate stopping and can turn out 3 or 4 cards, get them ready to mail, and then put them out on the mailbox for the mailman to take or if we're going out, drop them in a mailbox. Then days go by before I start again?! And I'm retired...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

dorie, I have that same problem so I've started bringing my tablet into my craft room and checking my Pinterest board with card ideas to CASE. I just spent almost 2 1/2 hours today case-ing a SU demo's really interesting card that had a lot of steps but came out great! Even though that's a lot of time spent, I feel like I learned a lot, too. And I don't feel as guilty because I'm using the supplies I just love to shop for :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Dea, step 9 ( a ) - make sure I have enough postage and a good package for mailing a wow! Card with lots of layers

As well, usually I am so far behind that I have a "batch" to send. By the time I've done all those steps for all those people, plus gifts sometimes too.... Another month goes by.

Now things are further complicated because I moved. And the post office i like to go to has the dry cleaner i like to right next door. Sooooo, add "find dry cleaning" to the list.

Oh and one more obstacle.... I know a lot of people and I truly feel compelled that I should give them all a handmade card for every occasion.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

One of my intentions with one little word (flow) this year was to figure out a policy, cadence, calendar, process that would work with my lifestyle.

I am happy to share that I made a Mother's Day card today. I have a few more cards for loved ones to make right now..... One more Mother's Day card and a few birthday cards.

I'm getting better slowly for sure. But I totally identify with all the obstacles in this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

I can understand that. The fun was in creating the card, not the mailing.

This year I made very nice Easter cards with cool techniques - I impressed myself with how nice these cards were - and mailed only one. Oh well. They went into the box and I will send them out next year, or morph them into something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

It's a win-win! A win for you, a win for those you send them to! I say try to get them sent. While I get mine sent, it takes time and energy to do so. At times it can even be a hassle, but I force myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes that's the price you pay to justify spending all that money! I always have a mailing list w/ 30 people that we print on a printer w/ address labels. UGH if I had to write them all out. I got some really cute return address labels from FamilyLabels.com with caricatures of my husband, me and our 5 rescue Westies w/ our names so that makes it more fun. And that's why I love do boxes for OWH and card drives. Then you can put a bunch in one box without having to address them all. So maybe if you subscribe to some blogs then you can find some card drives or check out Operation Write Home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Well Poppydarling, you've gotten a lot of great feedback and encouragement so far; and I too am guilty of sending late cards, both handmade and store bought!! With my handmade ones, it's like Janet1000 alluded to, it's the journey, not the destination!!!

I will throw my thoughts in regarding holding on to your cards, perhaps how they may be received? (I'm paraphrasing your thoughts). I know when we create we're off in our world having so much fun, then wondering if our "art" will be seen in the same way we did creating it. Feel confident...... You made it, they will appreciate it! I've been making cards for years, and when my mother-in-law passed away, I found a box of all my handmade cards; including some of my first cards I had made-so primitive when I was starting out. When I look back at my creative progression, I wondered what made her keep some of those early cards, since she didn't seem to be the sentimental type? But I guess it was because I made it for her and that was the whole point! There was a BIG difference in my "art work" from those first ones to what I was doing at the time of her death.....

Not to compare my stamping to real art work, but when I read artists comments about their work, most often, they are painting or creating for themselves or the piece itself, not for who will be buying or looking at their work. Maybe if we didn't worry so much what others thought about what we did, and created for the pure joy of it, it would be easier to let go of what we make. I find when I have fun making a card and really feel that creative passion come out, I feel good about what I made when I go to send it off, and that confidence translates to an assumption that it will be received with the spirit in which it's given.

Another thought that may help......make two of the same cards at a time, one for you to keep as a future reference, and the one you will send off. That way if there is some other reason you are having a hard time letting go, this may be a way of still keeping that creation! Good luck to you.......

Last edited by lovetostamp3; 05-04-2015 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Added a line
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 04:24 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
How about putting the stamps and address book and envelopes in 1 pretty box. Then when u are done - u can grab the box - add envelope and stamp. And be done done! Think of what you can do to make the last step as easy as possible
Love this idea, and totally agree about making this step appealing and rewarding
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Another thought that may help......make two of the same cards at a time, one for you to keep as a future reference, and the one you will send off. That way if there is some other reason you are having a hard time letting go, this may be a way of still keeping that creation! Good luck to you.......[/QUOTE]

This is such a great idea, one which I think will work for me. Even though I take a photo sometimes, having the physical card available would be helpful especially if it turns out really nice! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 06:17 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear ya sister!! I try to send out as many cards as I can but my problem is that I have sooooo many! I participate in the challenges here on SCS so every week there are at least 2 or 3 new creations! I send birthday cards to everyone I can think of..all the ladies in my card class..all my immediate family and long lost relatives ha.ha. Still they pile up. But I do have one rule not to send a card to anyone who would not appreciate the work, time and $$$ that went into making it. If it goes into the garbage they get a store-bought one. I do tend to keep the ones I really like to use as a model for another ..like a special technique etc. Good luck working through this. I am sure you will come to a conclusion you can work with. Each idea/creation is like giving birth and you wouldn't want to give away your kids! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 04:19 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a similar issue in that I make far more than I ever give out. I am currently seeking out options for giving them away, or selling them and donating the money to a charity I value. In Australia there are fewer options for card drives, it seems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 03:48 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I agree bugga � I think it's somehow connected with very few people I know exchanging or sending cards anymore. It was such a strong tradition in my family but it died out about twenty years ago and I seem to be the only one doing it now (a few friends still send Christmas cards, but not many). So I guess I connect doing it with people not being interested. Maybe I'm wrong!
Just because people don't send YOU cards in return doesn't mean they're not interested! You may never ever know how your cards touched someones life, but that doesn't mean they are not touched.

I don't get back 20% of the cards I send, and while it's a little sad on my birthday, at this ancient age, it's ok. I think of sending cards I send almost like a prayer (and I'm an atheist) - whatever the card says - it goes with the unspoken wish that I hope you are well, I'm glad you are in my life, may the future go well with you . . .

My "trick" is to prep a batch of cards for the next month, address the envelopes and write the dates they need to be sent in the corner where the stamp goes. The sorted stack goes in a clearly visible location on my work table.On the relevant date, I cover the notation with the stamp and carry it out to the mailbox.

Good luck at overcoming your procrastination!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 04:04 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

For the past couple years, I have been making cards to send monthly to college kids to encourage them. The thought of not mailing them on time, makes me sad - the kids don't go to their mailboxes all the time anymore, but they do look forward to mail once a month. Some thank me, some never say a word, but I so enjoy making them. Since I mail out 9 cards to 12 kids per school year, I made address labels ahead and keep them in a box with stamps (not a pretty one, so I will have to do this!!) Most of my cards though I give away as gifts - sets of 4. Rarely mail any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 05:08 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Proud Fan Club Member

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Oh my poppydarling, please mail or deliver your cards. They make a difference to the people who receive them, believe me, and in this world today, everyone needs a lift. I mail cards monthly to certain friends and I have done this since I started making cards. They love it, and they keep them, which I think is a hoot. One friend has framed some for her sewing room. I make cards for my neighbour on a "just because". I donate cards to my local hospital to sell in their shop where the money goes to the hospital, and I give some to the senior home across the street for the seniors to send out. All so appreciate getting them, and when you have taken the time it takes to make your beauties, sending them gives you that feel good feeling. I hope you will send them ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 05:37 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I'm in line with LindaBabe's approach. What made me more diligent was not having to look up, and write down, each month's events. I created a monthly calendar sheet from heavy cardstock with a 5x7 ef that had 35 squares, wrote all the important birthdays, anniversaries, etc. on each block for the month, and used my Your Story binding machine to place them in a covered 5x7 album. There is adhesive on the binding to keep the sheets intact. The front got decorated as well. I had a set of monthly Miss Margaret stickers from Dollar Tree, and these decorate the bottom of each month's page. Now all I do is check out the month's events, cross check that with the kitchen calendar for current events, and check the card stash. I do hand write each address (never got around to creating a file) and mail out a week ahead. I'm also a USPS stamp addict, so the staff at the local postie knows when I'm there! I avoid mailing anything that costs more than the "Forever" stamp will cover, unless it goes inside a package.
While the squares on the ef may be small, and my printing must match the size, I find this a fantastic replacement for the list-type styles I used for years. My challenge now is to continue to make less feminine style cards, and fewer children's cards. They're growing up quickly!
I truly enjoy making my cards, whether digitally or the traditional methods. I don't get back the equal amount I mail, but that's not the point. Snail mail is still valuable to me because I believe we still need the tangibles in this increasingly virtual world. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #33  
Inking Addict

Wow - read all comments so far - can't tell you how to get out of your funk but I can tell you I do the same thing sometimes - usually after the holidays.

Here's what helps me
1. It's the thought that counts
2. You put the love in your creation - share it
3. Make more than one card - you already have all the supplies out
4. I and anyone who is willing - make cards for our local Shriner's Hospital for Children. The cards are for the patients to use as they wish. We do this a couple of times a year.
5. Church, senior centers, group homes, military service, love to have cards to share - donate them
6. My office/studio is in my home. I have a work schedule, just like anyone working outside of their home. Make one for yourself. Do your post office run on the same day every week.
7. New Year's resolution - I set a goal to send/give cards and projects
8. Give them as birthday/holiday gifts

Remember your creations are inspirational - share the love

Hugs!
Joan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

You have some great advice here, but I'll just add one thought that I don't think has been mentioned. At one point I thought that I'd send Hallmark cards to the people who never express appreciation for my work-of-art cards, but then I realized that the joy for me is in the making, not getting praise. So I make cards for everyone, knowing exactly who will express appreciation for the card and who won't.
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently gave myself permission to stop pretending I am going to sell my cards and crafts. I kept trying to make cards "to sell at the craft fair", so they never went into the mail OR were sold at that mysterious fair I never actually attended. And I hated making 4 or 5 of the same design! This winter I saw my craft table full of papers and stuff for the cards I never make, and said to myself, "ENOUGH!" I love my rubber stamps, and I have two "coloring books" that I make for myself. From now on I'm keeping my craft area clear and when I need one card for a special reason, I'm making ONE card and then I am DeFINITELY MAILING IT. And then putting everything away for the next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

I totally get this! In fact, my new year's resolution was to send the cards that I make. I thought long & hard about the issue, and my answer was to make a "card mailing system" so I could have everything in one place and not have any excuses for not sending things out. I'm happy to report 5 months in, I'm doing great and have sent all the cards I planned on! I did a blog post all about it if you want to take a peek!

Ink On My Whiskers: The Great Card-Mailing Plan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowchowView Post
I totally get this! In fact, my new year's resolution was to send the cards that I make. I thought long & hard about the issue, and my answer was to make a "card mailing system" so I could have everything in one place and not have any excuses for not sending things out. I'm happy to report 5 months in, I'm doing great and have sent all the cards I planned on! I did a blog post all about it if you want to take a peek!

Ink On My Whiskers: The Great Card-Mailing Plan
Meow, I thoroughly enjoyed that post! And I really like your system.

You all have inspired me to continue to work through my little issue ;) I will concentrate on the joy in creating and spreading some of that joy out into the world. On my break today, I will deliver my neighbor's card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
I just recently gave myself permission to stop pretending I am going to sell my cards and crafts. I kept trying to make cards "to sell at the craft fair", so they never went into the mail OR were sold at that mysterious fair I never actually attended. And I hated making 4 or 5 of the same design! This winter I saw my craft table full of papers and stuff for the cards I never make, and said to myself, "ENOUGH!" I love my rubber stamps, and I have two "coloring books" that I make for myself. From now on I'm keeping my craft area clear and when I need one card for a special reason, I'm making ONE card and then I am DeFINITELY MAILING IT. And then putting everything away for the next time.
How I relate to everything said here! For the longest time, I would only buy crafting supplies if I made myself promise that I would sell my crafts on Etsy. I finally figured out that I had to give myself permission to spend the money on myself, for no particular reason. It was very hard! But I'm doing much better now � two orders are on their way to me from Amazon right now :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

I haven't read through all the posts - so maybe this was already suggested, but I know I used to hate giving out my cards because I knew they'd just end up in the garbage. So now instead of writing directly on the inside of the card, I write on a post it note and encourage the recipient to re-use my card! (Although I don't do this on sympathy cards!) Try it out!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

I send out a lot of cards. I think they make a difference in people's lives. A number of years ago, I had major surgery and spent 8 weeks recovering. The cards and notes I received from family and friends are what got me through that difficult time. And one friend taught me something new. So often a person receives all the cards at the beginning of the recovery, or mourning, time. This friend sent me one in the beginning and one a few weeks into my recovery, just to remind me she was still thinking of me and sending her best wishes. That was such an uplifting gesture of kindness! I now practice this, too, and have gotten so many positive comments on this simple act.
Reply With Quote Likes