Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:32 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default M-bossabilities/Big Shot sandwich tricks?

I'm trying to use a Spellbinders M-bossabilities embossing folder that has an A and a B side, and not having much luck. Followed the Big Shot sandwich recommendation from Spellbinders which made zero impression, so I started fiddling around with my own shims. Silicone mat, fun foam, thick card stock, two sheets of thinner card stock, cereal box cardboard etc. — tried it about 15 times with no luck! Either the impression is too faint, or I add another shim and the impression is flattened.

I have gone back-and-forth with multiple combinations and the A side of the folder just will not emboss properly! Meanwhile, I got the B-side to emboss finally and I have already forgotten the exact shim :mad: Then the fold in the plastic started to crack. Grrrr. I'm not a super fan of Spellbinders products or their customer service, and now I'm really annoyed that I fell for another one.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting this product to work on the Big Shot?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 04:07 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a BSPro, so can't help directly. Finding BSPro sandwiches anywhere is like finding hens teeth! so its all down to trial and error. I do keep a notebook handy and write down all my successful recipes straight away though, so that may help in the future. Its also a good idea to have a variety of card/paper thicknesses available for shimming, so you can add thinner ones- maybe copy paper- when you think you are getting close. I've also seen a tip on here for reluctant embossing folders, which was to lightly spritz the cardstock with water before trying to emboss.
In case it helps as a starting point, this is my sandwich for my BSPro:
'M'Bossabilities Folder
Adapter Pad
Solo Platform
Solo Shim
Thin Die Adapter
'M'Bossabilities folder with Cardstock/paper
Clear Plate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thanks shazsilverwolf. Notebook: great idea :-)

Do you put the folder on the bottom or the top? Because I'm ending with the embossing folder on top instead of putting the shims on top, and maybe that makes a difference? This is way too much work already but dang I love this design

Last edited by poppydarling; 04-18-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Poppydarling- sorry, I just realised my list had the title line at the top of the sandwich! Sorry for confusing the issue . If you ignore the 'M'bossabilities folder' at the top of the list, that list reads from the bottom up, so the folder and cardstock is under the clear plate at the top of the stack. I think you need a plate over the folder to get a good impression- I know I always have a plate over mine, even in the Cuttlebug. If I have to add any card/paper shims, I put them on top of the folder, below the top plate.
I know what you mean about being too much work- it's always the ones you really like, isn't it? I have a Nesties/Heartfelt creations die set called Delicate Aster, and it a absolute swine to get a decent cut- some of the flowers cut all the way through, some cut half the design and just score the rest of it. I can get it to work if I cut each flower shape individually, but that just makes it very time consuming, when there are 4 flower sizes, and then 3 middles!
i put the notebook in the well of the machine- don't know if the Big Shot has one? I started it after discovering I could not remember sandwich recipes from one use to the next, and then had to spend half an hour figuring it out again!

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 04-18-2015 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I'm glad you feel my pain :-) Those delicate flower dies are so appealing but I would be driven out of my mind if they acted like that on me! Are you going to try that new metal plate by Sizzix that supposedly helps intricate dies cut cleanly? I'm all for whatever helps me move on already!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 02:59 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I do have a magnetic metal plate I bought recently, haven't yet tried it with the Aster die. I've got a wedding card to do soon, so it'll be getting a trial then. Fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #7  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I'm trying to use a Spellbinders M-bossabilities embossing folder that has an A and a B side, and not having much luck. Followed the Big Shot sandwich recommendation from Spellbinders which made zero impression, so I started fiddling around with my own shims. Silicone mat, fun foam, thick card stock, two sheets of thinner card stock, cereal box cardboard etc. � tried it about 15 times with no luck! Either the impression is too faint, or I add another shim and the impression is flattened.

I have gone back-and-forth with multiple combinations and the A side of the folder just will not emboss properly! Meanwhile, I got the B-side to emboss finally and I have already forgotten the exact shim :mad: Then the fold in the plastic started to crack. Grrrr. I'm not a super fan of Spellbinders products or their customer service, and now I'm really annoyed that I fell for another one.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting this product to work on the Big Shot?

I just did a video on the 3D folders - maybe this sandwich will help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Lydia, I love your videos! That sandwich you mentioned would never go through my Big Shot with this embossing folder, though – it barely goes through with one cutting pad and a silicone mat (which I use as an embossing mat) and a couple of card stock shims!

I initially tried to do a sandwich with two cutting pads as you would do for any other embossing folder because I misread the directions. That baby would not go through! And even with just one cutting pad and some shims, the design is either too faint or getting flattened. I tried it about 10 more times yesterday and I've now given up.

I tried using the raised side of the B side of the folder as an impression plate and that worked marginally better, so I guess I have to chalk this one up to experience and just never purchase this brand again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Default Here's what finally almost works

I contacted A Cherry on Top where I bought the folder (forget Spellbinders customer service, terrible) and they suggested to search YouTube (oh duh :p).

In case this helps someone else, here's the sandwich that every crafter on YouTube recommended, and mostly works for me on my Big Shot: 1) multipurpose platform with no tabs open 2) M-bossabilities folder with chosen media inside and 3) one cutting pad on top. Run it through.

Works better on one side of the folder than the other, and it also cracked the plastic fold at the top, which I repaired with duct tape. What a llama drama! But the designs are soooo pretty lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's for the Big Shot Plus

Hallo,

recipes for the Big Shot Plus are even harder to find - yet. So here's what I did (M-Bossabilities only, 3D I don't know yet):

Baseplate
A-Plate
Folder
Cutting-Plate

I had a stack of 4 leaves 80 g Paper (normal thin printing paper) and it worked beautifully.

Love, Sibs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Spell Binders 3D M-Bossibilities

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! I Have been Very Frustrated trying to find the correct sandwich for my new Big Shot Plus. I am new to this, age 69, and just don't have the patience I should have.

I tried your sandwich, and was a bit worried because it was tight, but no creaks or groans from the machine and the embossing was beautiful. ONLY ran it through one time. Thanks again!

Diane
Quote:

Originally Posted by SibsView Post
Hallo,

recipes for the Big Shot Plus are even harder to find - yet. So here's what I did (M-Bossabilities only, 3D I don't know yet):

Baseplate
A-Plate
Folder
Cutting-Plate

I had a stack of 4 leaves 80 g Paper (normal thin printing paper) and it worked beautifully.

Love, Sibs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I'm trying to use a Spellbinders M-bossabilities embossing folder that has an A and a B side, and not having much luck. Followed the Big Shot sandwich recommendation from Spellbinders which made zero impression, so I started fiddling around with my own shims. Silicone mat, fun foam, thick card stock, two sheets of thinner card stock, cereal box cardboard etc. � tried it about 15 times with no luck! Either the impression is too faint, or I add another shim and the impression is flattened.

You are putting the card stock "BETWEEN" the front and back sides of the folder right?

I just embossed a piece using the Big Shot . The sandwich I used is NO tabs and only ONE cutting plate on top of the folder with the card stock in the middle of the folder -Worked great
HTH
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 07-21-2015 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
You are putting the card stock "BETWEEN" the front and back sides of the folder right?

I just embossed a piece using the Big Shot . The sandwich I used is NO tabs and only ONE cutting plate on top of the folder with the card stock in the middle of the folder -Worked great
Yes, card stock between the two sides � if you check out my post above I figured out the sandwich that you did :-)
Reply With Quote Likes