Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you organize your stamp supplies?

I have been trying to reorganize my stamping space and I am finding I have to keep all my similar used items together. I tried doing it by color, companies or style but I keep finding that when I need a baby card, I am looking all around for things and it's hard to remember which company had what. I do have a corner for all current Stampin Up sets but whenever I need to make a card for an occasion, I am always scrambling. I now decided that I am going to have a stackable drawers or project boxes for everything else- one for BABY and keep all baby things together and keep BRIDAL in another, MASCULINE, BOYS, HALLOWEEN, etc. What do you think? How do you organize your stamping supplies?

Lynda :rolleyes:
My Blog Lynda's Quiet Time

my blog: http://stampingdoc.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been working towards organizing my stuff by color. I love it. I have my stamps sorted by groups, not sets. So all of my thank yous, birthday, Halloween etc are together. I find this system very user-friendly.

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 05-06-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

First off, I need to say that I have thousands of stamps and stamp sets from many different companies. I am a Stampin Up! demonstrator so I keep the majority of my Stampin UP! stamps in alphabetical order. However, I do segregate my Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentines, Animals etc. into seperate storage containers. I have a container full of nothing but word stamps and I separated them into birthday, get well, sympathy and miscellaneous sayings. I also have an Excel spreadsheet thats called "stamps by category". I list all sorts of categories such as Babies, Birthday, Belated Birthdays, Coffee, Cupcakes, Fathers Day, Flowers, Get Well, Birds and on and on. I list all the different stamp sets on there and refer to that list when I want to make a specific card. All my containers are numbered, so every time I buy a stamp or stamp set I add it to my list and the number of the container it's stored in. That way you know exactly where to find them. I am so **** about organizing that I also keep a complete inventory of all my stamps by manufacture. This helps me so much because I can't tell you how often I purchased the same stamp twice. If it's a Gina K stamp I go to my Gina K spreadsheet and know exactly what I have already purchased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I organize stamps (individual, not sets) by category, everything else by color, with the exception of occasion-specific embellishments (baby, Halloween, Christmas, etc.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I am trying to get my stamping/scrapbooking and general crafting items organized....boy what a mess!!! I'm putting like things together.

I'm hoping to make a category sheet for each of my stamps...I don't have that many. Then I will have a lot of them separated by category...especially holidays. Also a category sheet of my punches and dies.

I find myself spending so much time trying to find things....it's making me crazy!!

Looking on SCS to get more ideas!!

Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a 3-ring binder with stamped images of all my stamps in several places: by manufacturer (example SU, Hero), set (when applicable), and occasion (birthday, halloween) and/or category (background, floral, baby, etc.,). You can store them however you want as long as you mark/number the visible outside containers so that you can list that information with the image on every page where it's stamped.

It is very useful to have one book (or more depending on how many stamps you have) where you can easily flip through for inspiration - a picture is so much more idea provoking than a written list. It may take you a while to get this done, but you will be reinspired as you revisit your stamps. I often go back and add another image of a stamp when I think of a category I hadn't thought of before.
A hard discipline to master is putting your toys (stamps) away when you are through with them, so you'll be able to find them where you've said in your binder that you keep them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I have an awesome SU demo and for many years she had her stamps in the boxes with the names on them. Finally, it became ludicrous as she had so many. She had her son put rails up on the walls then took the stamps out of the boxes and sat them up on them so you could see the design. She has them in sections as in childrens, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, ect. It's awesome. I wish I had a picture to show all of you. I am going to have my husband do the same thing~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I organize stamps by company, paper pads by manufacturer, and ribbons and other embellishments by color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sort paper by color, 12x12 in trays on the wall, 8.5x11 in hanging file folder.
My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy because I sorted all my brads and eyelets by color, I used the small tackle box sorters from Menards. I just hate digging for something, if I want red I want red and I don't want to look at the other colors.
I believe that separating the stamp sets and putting them in categories is a good idea but I am just a little ocd and can't get myself to do it. I just have the sets on shelves slightly sorted by category. Love reading others peoples ideas, keep em comin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

]My solid paper is sorted by color.

My printed paper is sorted by design (flowers, circles, checks, dots, stripes).

My physical stamps are mostly acrylic and it was unfortunate that I had the brilliant idea to split them all up into categories and put them into CD cases. I say unfortunate because, althought this system is awesome, I don't have a clue which company these stamps came from :confused: The past year I've fallen hard for digital stamps. I keep these on my pc by category and add the creators name (i.e. Dulemba) to the saved .jpeg name.

My inks are CTMH and I keep them in their original order in a Kingdom.com cassette tape holder. It works awesome.

My Copic are laying in a holder, not sorted, on my work bench.

Everything else is within reach around my craft cave. I need to have it at hand and insight to use it. Out of sight, out of mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

(sings...)
Inks to the left of me,
Pens and pencils to the right,
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle with glue...

OK, seriously,
Inks and related supplies are in drawers on the left of my desktop
Pens and pencils are in drawers on the right
Stamps and dies are in a drawer in CD cases sorted by type of image,
12 x 12 paper and CS are below by colour in hanging folders,
Sparkly stuff and tools are in the top drawer.
Specialty items like vinyl for my cutter, metal foils, chipboard sheets, acetate, felt, foam are in a rack in a cupboard. 6x6 paper, watercolour paper pads, embelishments and tools are (for now) in baskets in front of me on a shelf.
Bulky flowers (like roses) and ribbon are in another drawer in another cupboard so they don't get squashed (but they may emerge soon as I plan another tidy up to get the less used stuff like finished albums away and the flowers out).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Great twist on a great song, love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have started going to each stamp set on Splitcoast and saving the index of each stamp set on my computer and then printing them out instead of stamping each one. Of course that is also time consuming. My problem is finding a stamp set without having to go thru all of them. I need to figure out a file system so I can go straight to the set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

My S.U. sets are in their boxes which are randomly stacked on a shelf of a bookcase. I have 3 plastic "chests of drawers" (like Sterlite) where my single stamps are sorted roughly by category. I have 2 drawers of Christmas stamps. My word stamps are in another drawer. I have only S.U. paper so that is in 2 portable file totes alphabetized by name. I have only S.U. ink pads and they are grouped by color on a shelf next to my work space. I'm fortunate in that I also have a tremendous memory so I remember just about everything I have and where it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Stamp sets are usually by category with a couple exceptions, I keep all my House Mouse stamps together (over 100) and my graphic 45 separate. The wood mounted are in plastic boxes marked with their category, the unmounted are in plastic protectors in binders sorted alphabetically by category.

Solid Paper is by color, loose patterned paper by color unless separated for a specific holiday, that is Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc... Paper Pads are sorted by Mfg. and Holiday.

All embellishments and SU ink are by color in plastic bins. Colored pencils and markers are by color in containers on my desk, Adirondack and TH inks are in old cassette racks on my desk and my stickles are in a basket on the desk as well.

I find that sorting by color works best for me. I Also like the way the stamps are organized but I still need to make master lists of all stamps. I would like to find something better for storing the unmounted but haven't found the way that works for me yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I have mostly SU stamp sets since I am a demonstrator.....I have always made a copy of the stamp set before I would put the image stickers on the stamps....I keep all the copies of the sets in alphabetical order in a clear sleeve in a three ring binder and sometimes I pick out pictures of ideas of a particular set, print them off 9 to a page and slip in behind the copy of the stamp set for ideas.....I keep all retired in one binder and current sets in another.....my non stampin up stamps are just in clear boxes sorted by holiday ect. I don't have very many of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep my cardstock in a file cabinet in hanging file folders, I punch out a 1/2 circle of the color and put on the tab for easy visibility....I found when I left them out in an open file folder the paper fades in the light. All my punches are hanging on the wall on curtain rods....I like things visible for easy access and to help remember what I have......same with my ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

As for stamps, those have all been unmounted and made to stick to an acrylic handle with either Cling Foam or 2-way glue. When we moved from 2000 square feet into a tiny house, it was either unmount them or get rid of them because I lacked storage space. I chose to unmount and I have never, ever regretted it.

I categorized the stamps as I unmounted them and put them into my storage system with an easy to understand (easy for me!) code. I have them labeled by manufacturer, then by set name, and lastly by theme, if there is an obvious theme (ie: Christmas, Postal, Thank You, Sentiments, Western, etc).

For loose stamps that were not in sets, I organized them mostly by manufacturer and theme. For instance, I have all of my journaling block stamps together (again only loosies, not the ones from sets). I stamped them out on my index sheet and wrote with a Sharpie the manufacturer, the name of the stamp, and the item number beside each image. That way I always know who to give proper credit to when I'm sharing my work with friends or online.

My patterned papers are sorted exactly like my stamp sets, by manufacturer first (alphabetically), then by product line, then by theme, if there is a theme. For example, when I make the divider tabs for my vertical paper storage, it would read like this: Graphic 45: Little Darlings (Baby); or My Mind's Eye: I Believe (Christmas). I go by memory a lot when it comes to certain general themed papers, like MME: Stella & Rose. I just kind of remember the line in general when I'm looking for something that would coordinate with a specific project I want to work on. With my system of organizing, pulling papers is not difficult and I have several feet of patterned paper to look through when I create.

Solid papers are sorted by color in ROYGBIV order.

Specialty papers are in a section all their own, which includes vellum, embossed cardstock, foiled/metallic, flocked and mulberry/handmade papers.

My embellishments are grouped the same way, by mfgr, then line, and theme.

All alphabets are sorted by letter in nut/bolt organizers. I did this for most of my loose chipboard alphas as well as for stickers. I cut them apart by letter so I could mix and match titles as I create.

All my small embellishments are sorted by size, type and shape in nut/bolt organizer drawers. This includes eyelets, brads, rhinestones, pearls, gems, metal plaques, bookplates, photo corners and frames.

I have my coloring pens/pencils in Sterilite drawers along with my stumps and chalks too.

Inks are sorted by manufacturer, and from lightest to darkest shade.

I haven't even mentioned my die-cutters, dies, emb folders, punches and other tools. It is late and I am losing steam. Will have to save those for another post. LOL

My storage system is a work in progress, and I thoroughly enjoy the journey. I love to talk about organizing and I love the organizing process along the way. :-)

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I store most things by categories or color. When I get ready to do a design I want to be able to find things by the theme or a coordinating color. I tried the method of putting everything of same color in one basket and I hated it and went back to my original method.

Embellishments:

Brads, buttons, ribbon slides, glue sticks, and other small items I use divider boxes - one for each color (reds, blues, etc.).

Jewels/beads - scrap n' store clamshell box. I tape the jewels to a sheet of paper by color so I can flip through the pages to find what I want.

I use stoage boxes from Harbor Freight to store items by theme (collage, hearts, Asian, garden, etc.).

8 1/2 x 11 paper stored by ROYGBIV. I have SU paper box per color for SU colors and one box for color family for non-SU paper. I also have boxes for speciality paper like texture, watercolor, glossy, etc.)

12 x 12 I use SU paper boxes to store SU paper (DSP divided by DSP set, individual colors, texture, etc.). Non-SU 12 x 12 is stored in Display Dynamics trays per color. I put dividiers in the trays to seperate solids from prints.

Ribbon wrapped on mat board stored in JetMax drawers by color.

Because I'm a demo I have to keep current SU sets together. I bought a small DVD spinning rack that holds close to 100 sets. All other stamps have been unmounted separated into categories/themes and are stored in Univenture box binders. The boxes are stored on bookshelves.

As for my work area, everything I use on a regular basis is stored within reach using JetMax cubes.

I have more storage ideas in my gallery . I need to post new pictures because I've changed my room. I also list where I purchased some of the items.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you organize your stamp supplies?-view-park.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess my concept is to not have so much stuff that you cannot remember what you have. I keep reassessing my stamp images and purging to get new and different ones. I have all my cardstock in a file cabinet in hanging files. All my 6 x 6 pads are in boxes i can grab off a book shelf. All embellishments are in a craft cabinet in labelled drawers. My dies and embossing folders sit together for easy picking and finally my ribbon all sits on ribbon carousels.

I make and sell markets at 3 different markets so I need to keep my images different each year.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Received 176 Likes on 118 Posts

Awesome Thread! I still need to do some organizing yet, it definitely is worth the time. Here is what I have done so far;

Most of my Stuff is Su as I am also a demo, mostly a hobby demo
-My ink is in 2 Su Colour Caddy, sorted by colour current & retired intermingled
-8.5 x 11 cardstock in hanging file folders, retired by colours, current is in family Collections. Scarps go in the folder in front of full sheets
-12 x12 solid papers & Sb kits in 12x12 paper holders
-Designer paper stored alpabetically in a rubbermaid tote, with label on pkg including coordinating colours and image of papers in kit
-Punches are in over the door hanging shoe holders, and besides the punch in each pocket I have a punched image in a baseball card holder, so if the punch is not there I know where it belongs plus I can use it to see if the stamped image will work with that punch. Also in the pocket is stack n Store (retired) containers to hold any prepunched pieces. Loving my punch system.
-Bigz dies, embossing folders, etc in clamshells (what Su wood stamps come in) labelled on 2 edges, die fits in there plus I can store any unused die cuts or embossed sheets in that container. These are sitting in smaller container (think shoe box size) in my old microwave stand and my big shot sits on top, makes a good work area, I really love it for the biqz and originals dies, but it is a bulky system. I am trying something a bit different for my non Su embossing folders, more of a filing system so as not to use so much space.
-ribbon sorted by color, i have them in retired SU Ribbon keepers but with the spools all different sizes not sre that it is the best way, but definitely love by colour
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Great idea! I have basically the same storage ideas as you but putting the punched pieces in with the punch is brilliant! That is the one area that causes me the most trouble, can't wait to get in there and put those away.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Talking Stamp Set Organization

I have all of my stamps in bins grouped by sections of the alphabet. I add bins as needed. I am lucky to have a closet area in my basement craft area to store them in. When I buy a new stamp or set, I scan the actual stamp, cover, or label sheet with the name and image of the stamp. I save all of these in a file on an external drive. I note any information that will help me find it, especially the name of the set. I print them and put them in a binder so I can look for a stamp without digging. They also print in actual size. It's nice to sit and look through my inventory in a comfy chair instead of disappearing into a closet. I also use the book to sometimes share with customers and friends that like to stamp so they can choose the ones they would like to use. I just go to the appropriate bin and find it much quicker. I don't have shelf room for all of my stamps. Those may be added later.

I also keep an Excel spreadsheet of my stamps and supplies. I add key words to each entry to help me find all the sets that may help me find the image I want to use. It sounds like a lot of work but it has proved to be very useful and helps me to not repeat buy or buy something so similar that I regret my purchase. We just moved so my craft room is slowly coming together after being stored for year. Like Christmas! Hope this may help someone.

I also invested in a 6 ft square Ikea Expedit shelf with 25 cubbies. I organized all of my supplies in it with plastic and fabric bins found at local dollar style stores and a full sheet of pegboard. I also was lucky enough to get two industrial countertops for free from a past employer. They are supported by cut down closet cubby shelves for supports. I will eventually label the shelves and bins or keep a contents key hanging around to remember where I stuffed something.

Last edited by jckid; 03-23-2015 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Additional Information:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I agree with Lorri - "my concept is to not have so much stuff that you cannot remember what you have."

Over the years, I have been leaning more and more towards minimalism and I am striving to do so in my craft room as well. I have been thinning it out as we are planning a big move. Things that I thought I had to have and now do not use are gone or on their way out - such as Cricut Expression - gone! Flowers - only kept a few and mostly white so I can dye as I need. Lots of scrap-booking stuff as I do not enjoy it - when it becomes a task/job - it is no longer a hobby or fun activity. I love making cards! (although, my style is being coming more CAS.)

I would rather spend time with my grandkids instead of cleaning and/or organizing my clutter.

If any one considers themselves a minimalist, I would love to hear how you manage your crafting space. I like what Candace did with her space - I may have to invest in some of the cubes when I get relocated. I like things to be out of sight when not in use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I am about 90% SU. My wooden stamps are still in the original clamshells. I've bought only clear mount since they came out. My wood mounts are stored by category. My clear mount are stored seasonal, Flowers, general, children.

I have my stamps stored in a big, pine armoire. I have maybe 160 sets. Top shelf, card stock . Wood sets are store florals, Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas. Next shelf winter, Valentines Day, sentiments. Next shelf birthday, coffee/tea, general images. Bottom shel thank you, stars and encouragement . My wedding and graduation are across the room in this drawer.

I have my Studio G stamps stored in an old printers tray that is hanging on the wall. All my storage is repurposed items except one six drawer dark wood cupboard.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you organize your stamp supplies?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

This is the six drawer shelf. It's the only storage I've bought specifically for card making supplies. It holds punches, twines, glue dots, buttons, brads, big shot dies, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you organize your stamp supplies?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes