Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copics - Did you have to have them all?

When I started crafting the first thing I said was I would never buy copics. Not worth the money.

I collected about 45 promarkers and then 3 spectrum noir. I wanted to just try out the copics to prove they aren't worth it.

Now I have about 50. I still need colors, lol. 50 and no oranges or yellows and one green set. Since I love pink and purple. I have a lot of those and skin and hair tones.

I will be in a position to buy a big haul of copics. I have been saving up. My next purchase I pland to buy 100. Althought I might not need that many, but I think that would complete my collection. I don't neeeeed all the colors. especially not the 46 greys.

How many markers are in your copic stash? I'm going to be so disappointed if I decide in a few years to quit crafting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I haven't counted mine in quite a while. Yikes!! I have 191 and I don't see myself needing anymore as I feel I have enough color combos. good luck with your new ones. They are my favorite markers to use on cards.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I'm just starting out so I only have 8. But I hope to purchase two more this month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MzteazeView Post
I'm just starting out so I only have 8. But I hope to purchase two more this month.
It took me several months to collect the 50. I got a second job so that is why I will be able to purchase a big haul. What colors did you want next?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I don't have a single Copic but I don't think it's just a Copic issue. I have ALL the SU ink pads and markers and card stock. I have ALL the distress ink pads (except the new cracked pistachio - gotta get it!). I am a "collector", not that I don't use my stuff but when I'm into something I want the "whole set". When I used to do a lot of counted cross stitch I had EVERY color of DMC floss made. I think this is a trait shared by a lot of us. For one thing when I'm making a card if I decide I want to use Peeled Paint ink I want to have it in my stash, not have to run to the store. I also like to see that spinner full of ink pads and know "I have them ALL!".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have about 40 copics. I love them because you can refill BUT living in Australia they are soooo expensive and hard to get. Most shops dont carry them as they have to have done the copic certificate or something. Even less carry the refills. The number of times I have seen them at a decent price of course only in America and I cant purchase because I am in Australia. Some restrictions thing. So I was going to a shop that would top up each marker for $2:00, but the shop has just shut down.
So I have to purchase bit by bit but you definetly should get the refills as you get so many top ups from that. My favourites are the pastels. I love soft colours so have all the rainbow in soft colours.SADLY at the moment they are nearly all dried up as I need to refill and cant afford the refills. This time. But soon I hope as I love to colour in with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leona2025View Post
It took me several months to collect the 50. I got a second job so that is why I will be able to purchase a big haul. What colors did you want next?
I need a light/dark green plus browns so I think I will go there next. Then reds.

Dick Blick is running a sale this month and I have a few coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

You certainly don't need all of the colours, just buy as you need them. For example, if you need a green for foliage choose a versatile green and buy the blending family of three or four. I have 80 markers. I use my copics for my architecture classes and for my crafting, so I have a lot of earth/natural tones, greens, yellows, blues, reds and greys. I would like to fill in some gaps in my collection. Some colours that I have, like pink, I rarely use so it is unlikely that I will buy any more pinks or purples. I don't need any more.

It is up to you and your tastes where you want to fill in your collection. My advice is to buy slowly, buy blending families, and only what you are sure you need.

I also have the same problems as the person in Australia, except in New Zealand. Copic originals are $14, they don't even sell sketches in store. It also might be a bit dodgy importing from amazon because of the alcohol content (might get an angry customs visit) and most stores are restricted by copic to only selling in America.
You people in America are so lucky with your $5 copics! Even at that price I see people complaining. Here even things like Stampin Up sets can range from $50-80. (Considering that minimum wage is $14.25 thats an hours work for one copic!

Rant over...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonauraView Post
You certainly don't need all of the colours, just buy as you need them. For example, if you need a green for foliage choose a versatile green and buy the blending family of three or four. I have 80 markers. I use my copics for my architecture classes and for my crafting, so I have a lot of earth/natural tones, greens, yellows, blues, reds and greys. I would like to fill in some gaps in my collection. Some colours that I have, like pink, I rarely use so it is unlikely that I will buy any more pinks or purples. I don't need any more.

It is up to you and your tastes where you want to fill in your collection. My advice is to buy slowly, buy blending families, and only what you are sure you need.

I also have the same problems as the person in Australia, except in New Zealand. Copic originals are $14, they don't even sell sketches in store. It also might be a bit dodgy importing from amazon because of the alcohol content (might get an angry customs visit) and most stores are restricted by copic to only selling in America.
You people in America are so lucky with your $5 copics! Even at that price I see people complaining. Here even things like Stampin Up sets can range from $50-80. (Considering that minimum wage is $14.25 thats an hours work for one copic!

Rant over...
Wow I didn't know you had to paid that much there! I get sketch for less than 5$ at Carpe Diem and Oozak. I'm not sure there are even 100 colors I need right now.

I usually agonize over my color choices for at least a week or 3. I also signed up for classes at kit an clowder which I love. I do noticed the holes. With not having the type of blues I want. I have one set of blues and 5 family sets of purples and pinks.

I'm starting my planning now:-D I'm looking for the perfect muted olive green family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonauraView Post
It also might be a bit dodgy importing from amazon because of the alcohol content (might get an angry customs visit) and most stores are restricted by copic to only selling in America.
Rant over...
I tried doing a purchase thru Amazon, but since I have an account, when I click on items like Copics a warning comes up saying this item will not ship to Australia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 12:46 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

There are definitely a few Amazon market place sellers that will ship to places like Au and NZ, you just have to go through each seller adding each to your carts and checking. Other places do sell copic sets cheaper too. Rakuten is one but you have to check that they will ship to you and there is the japanese language barrier. I hope you are able to find a seller. For sketch 72sets Comtachi japan is an Amazon seller that might ship to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 7, lol. I bought them a couple weeks ago when Michaels had a 50% off coupon. I'd make hubby go with me so I could get two at a time hehe. I bought a colorless blender, B00, B02, R22, R24, E00 and E02. I like blues and reds so I started there, and I figure I'll need lots of practice with skin tones.

I did a ton of price comparison before buying. Bar none it's cheapest for me to buy at Michaels with a coupon since there's a store 5 minutes from my house, I just have to be patient. That being said, I found a guy on Etsy who sells them in sets of 10 for stupid cheap: $32.50 USD. I don't know where he gets them, but he states they're brand new and he has rave reviews. He used to sell on eBay before that and had insane good feedback there too. He puts together a set of 10 by color families, and he'll put together a custom set for you if he has all the colors you want. In $AUD that's 40.66, and only 20.95 for shipping. That works out to just over $6 each in AUD, and just under $7 NZD!! I thought it was totally sketchy (no pun intended) when I first found him, but I read all his reviews on Etsy. Shipping to Canada is $CAD 11.95, so it works out to just over $5 for me, so still cheaper at 50% at Michaels if my patience doesn't get the better of me!

I hope it's okay to post a link, I don't want him to get in trouble with Copic!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/dannygutter

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
I have 7, lol. I bought them a couple weeks ago when Michaels had a 50% off coupon. I'd make hubby go with me so I could get two at a time hehe. I bought a colorless blender, B00, B02, R22, R24, E00 and E02. I like blues and reds so I started there, and I figure I'll need lots of practice with skin tones.

I did a ton of price comparison before buying. Bar none it's cheapest for me to buy at Michaels with a coupon since there's a store 5 minutes from my house, I just have to be patient. That being said, I found a guy on Etsy who sells them in sets of 10 for stupid cheap: $32.50 USD. I don't know where he gets them, but he states they're brand new and he has rave reviews. He used to sell on eBay before that and had insane good feedback there too. He puts together a set of 10 by color families, and he'll put together a custom set for you if he has all the colors you want. In $AUD that's 40.66, and only 20.95 for shipping. That works out to just over $6 each in AUD, and just under $7 NZD!! I thought it was totally sketchy (no pun intended) when I first found him, but I read all his reviews on Etsy. Shipping to Canada is $CAD 11.95, so it works out to just over $5 for me, so still cheaper at 50% at Michaels if my patience doesn't get the better of me!

I hope it's okay to post a link, I don't want him to get in trouble with Copic!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/dannygutter
How is that even possible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

After four years of buying copic, I have 103 of them. I feel why buy all of them, when I don't like certain colors. I only buy colors that I like and use.

Unless you are a Professional Artist I really don't think you need all of them. To me a purchase like this is a waste of money. I would never use every single color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I definitely understand. I don't need them all. But I probably will purchase all the pinks, purples, and blues. Those are the colors I most use and I like to be able to do a variety. I really only need 2 or 3 sets of yellows, greens, reds, and oranges. I don't tend to use those colors much.

When I started I didn't want to purchase greens. I hate green, but then I couldn't have different shades of greens for leaves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I started with the ciaos and was happy with the colors they came in. yes there are more options in sketch( and I love the 0000 colors)

3 years ago when I was in a crisis of crafting, I sold all my ciaos. I regret that every minute now that I want to get back into it. I do intend on replacing them and will again stuck with ciaos.. less expensive for one and like I said I used all those colors and never felt i was missing any opportunities by not having the additional range of sketch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Most of my copics are ciaos. I love them. They fit better in my hand. I bought most of my combos based on the suggestion made in class. I look through pinterest to find color combos I like
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leona2025View Post
How is that even possible!
That's what I thought too! I wonder what a retailer's mark up is on them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

I have them all except for the flourescents and a few grays. I have all the reinkers too...talk about an investment LOL. I purchased them and the compressor to airbrush. I color all my flowers, backgrounds etc.. If you can do it, I feel it's worth the money. The reinkers will last a very long time.

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Not sure...I have all the older Spectrum Noir, 36 of Mepxy Markers and about 21 Copics that I got for half price. Ask me if I used them in the past 6 months... There's gotta be a line somewhere, haven't found it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope...I have 3 of each color group so 3 B, 3 RV, 3 E, etc.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default can you help me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet43View Post
I have them all except for the flourescents and a few grays. I have all the reinkers too...talk about an investment LOL. I purchased them and the compressor to airbrush. I color all my flowers, backgrounds etc.. If you can do it, I feel it's worth the money. The reinkers will last a very long time.
I was reading that you purchased the copic airbrush stuff. There are so many different combinations. Im so confused,. I do know I want a system with a compressor and not canned air. Can you tell me what exactly all I need? I mean the compressor comes with everything needed to airbrush with copics or do i need to purchase extra parts. Do you have any suggestions on where to purchase? I will listen to any advise you can give me.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Hi Amber, I have the Central Pneumatic oiless airbrush compressor 93657 from Harbor Freight.

Airbrush Compressor - 1/6 HP, 40 PSI

I also needed the Copic Marker Airbrush kit. Ellen has it on sale this week.

COPIC Airbrush Kit, ABS-3 - Ellen Hutson LLC

Hope this helps

Holly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Copics

Well, I started off small. I purchawed the anniversary set first. Loved em.. so in the past 3-4 years, I've purchased the complete Set A, B, C, and D, one at a time. I am very happy with those four sets. Contemplating if I really need Set E right now. Stampin Up came out with their version of "blendabilities"... alchohol markers, yet they are NOT refillable, so they didn't tempt me at all! I'm sticking to my copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Amber, let me know if you want a picture of the set up or a video of the process. I'd be happy to help. I know for me, visuals are everything

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have about 140 w/refills and I don't see why I would need any more. I started from the beginning of buying in sets of 3 (light, med, dark) and then added on the 000/0000 as they were introduced.

I used to obsess with having all of a line )inks, paper, & markers) and then I quickly learned how many of the colors I never used. Now I only have colors I like and it varies. I may like the ink but not the paper, etc. Now that I'm smarter I won't be buying more Copics unless there is an amazing new that will fit with what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 90 markers, and definitely notice when there is a gap. I don't have many purples or bright colours (bright blues, bright yellows, etc.) 'cause those are the colours I don't like. But sometimes for a colour challenge or when trying to match a patterned paper, I definitely notice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Also just starting out. I have 9 and the color lifter. I hope to be happy with abut 25/30 more. I don't plan to do a lot of coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Ok, fess up who has all 300 plus Copics? I know some of you do. Let's see some of that Copic pride.

I have about two dozen Copics. I do have a full set of PrismaColor markers. I do want to add to my Copic collection. I would like to have about 150 plus for my illustration work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I enjoy coloring. Its like therapy. I'm not good with copics, but I love colored pencils. I just need practice with copics.

I see sooo many gaps in the colored pencils. I never have the perfect color I want lol. Hopefully with 300+ colors copics can solve this for me and I also started using my pencils to shade my copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I know this thread is a little dated, but thought I'd share two Copics charts I find very useful. I haven't counted them all, but have over 200 with refills. I recently went through them all, separating them into color families. I found priceless charts from a blog that has been stagnant since 2010, wonder what happened to the blogger??? Here's her blog, and the two charts that make coloring and shading a breeze. Wish I'd found these charts before I purchased so many.
flourishesnewsletter.blogspot.com
Copics Chart 1
Copics Chart 2
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I know this thread is a little dated, but thought I'd share two Copics charts I find very useful. I haven't counted them all, but have over 200 with refills. I recently went through them all, separating them into color families. I found priceless charts from a blog that has been stagnant since 2010, wonder what happened to the blogger??? Here's her blog, and the two charts that make coloring and shading a breeze. Wish I'd found these charts before I purchased so many.
flourishesnewsletter.blogspot.com
Copics Chart 1
Copics Chart 2
oh Wow! Thanks so much for finding this. Can't wait to get that printed and laminated. Very useful to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #33  
Inking Addict

Thanks for posting the link to the charts. I've been considering trying Copic markers - these will really help pick out some groups of colors to start out with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I have almost all of them... including all the fluorescents. The only ones I did not buy were the few darkest grays in all three tones.

I have to admit that when I buy new anything I have to have all the colors since you never know when you may need a specific color. One reason I am sticking with the inks I have now and not investing in all the new brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I have all of them but the fluorescents. I also have most of the refills.

When I started back in '08 I purchased as I "needed" them. After the class I took with Marianne in the summer of '08 I knew at that time I would "need" all of them. Once I used them for awhile then became the need for the refills as I don't have anywhere that has a refill station.

So......I have the markers and quite a few refills.

Now, would I purchase all of them again? Nope...I wouldn't get the dark black's. I don't hardly use them. I use the gray's much more than I thought I would. I would purchase all of the colors again!! I love to use these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I have them all except for the fluorescents. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy them all again. I absolutely love that I can match any cardstock, ribbon, button, etc. I bought mine by placing an order every month that met the free shipping criteria.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

A couple more links I found helpful in getting started... I particularly like Michelle Houghton's list, and I'm mostly following it:
The Copic Markers You Need in Your Starter Set

I also liked seeing charts to help me figure out what kind of starter set would suit me best:
Suburban Crafter: BY REQUEST!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 02:29 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Copics are my big anniversary gift this year. It was supposed to be a diamond ring but I rather have Copics. I am getting all 300 plus and the reinkers. Thank you to all for sharing charts. This is really helping me. I have been looking through Deviant Art for Copic help too if that might help somebody.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

I have all of the browns and skin tones. The rest I have a couple of each color, except orange and yellow. For those I use my bic markers.
Reply With Quote Likes