Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the mounting cushion of Hero Arts clings schrink????

Hi there!

It is the first time I write something on the forum...

I have some Hero Arts cling stamps and I have realized that the mounting cushion schrinks!!! Does anyone have the same problem? What have you done?

Thank you!

Last edited by ana manzana; 01-19-2013 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: mistake
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #2  
Simon Says Stamp

I haven't experienced that but it might be the way I store them -- flat on top of each other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm, I have one cling stamp by them, and it is a small (4" x 4"??) background stamp. The cushion is slightly smaller than the rubber, but I never noticed if it came like that, or if it was the same size and shrank later. Huh. Very strange. It still stamps fine though, so I've done nothing about it, and probably won't. I would not have noticed if I had not read your post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Yes.

It is more obvious on the bigger stamps...about 1/8 inch all the way around. I intend to take the foam off and put them on EZMount. My personal opinion is that the "stickers" are what makes them shrink, because they also seem to cup a bit toward the sticker, and if you look at the stamp on edge, the foam is noticeably tapered because the sticker has pulled so much on the foam. In other words, the sticker shrank!

Some of mine have the rubber cut close to the image and so the very edges of the image don't have foam behind them.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 01-19-2013 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I've noticed this too with mine. It's worse on some (especially a few of the 4x4 background stamps) to the point where the stamp is noticably cupped toward the sticker. I seem to remember far back on this site I heard that vinyl will shrink over time, and I think this is what the Hero Arts stickers (and many other brands too if I'm not mistaken) are made of. It makes it impossible to get a clear image from these stamps so I too will remount them on EZ mount when I get a chance...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had noticed this on a large background stamp with text. Thought I was just imagining this. Is there any remedy? I also noticed it no longer sticks to the acrylic backing it came with and to which I have it stuck in my storage bin. It is clean because I have washed it with dishwashing soap severL times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a couple of their wood mounted stamps that this has happened with. Part of the image does not stamp at all or the stamp has to be "rocked" a bit to get the whole image. One of them Hero Arts replaced -- no questions asked. The other I shimmed up with some leftover rubber and cushion from SU sets. It doesn't look great, but it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Possibly the best way of avoiding this is to remove the sticker. It will come off, though it is quite hard to peel off. I took mine off when I got them originally, as I was finding the sticker made it difficult to keep it on an acrylic block, and I haven't noticed any shrinking on mine.
The funny thing is, I just un-mounted all my wooden stamps,I prefer u/m on E-z mount or Klingon, and the wood were taking up so much room. The one thing I did notice during this was how easily Hero Arts stamps came away from their foam backing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Hello! Tami from Hero Arts here. This may happen occasionally since rubber is an all natural product and over time the elements can make the size of rubber mounting change slightly. If it becomes a problem and you would like a replacement, simply email us ([email protected]). Hero Arts stands behind all of our products and we will be happy to take care if it for you. Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, Tami, thanks for the response. What great customer service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami-HeroArtsView Post
Hello! Tami from Hero Arts here. This may happen occasionally since rubber is an all natural product and over time the elements can make the size of rubber mounting change slightly. If it becomes a problem and you would like a replacement, simply email us ([email protected]). Hero Arts stands behind all of our products and we will be happy to take care if it for you. Happy stamping!
Tami, thanks for the answer!! I already sent an email to you before asking here, so I guess I will get the answer on my inbox soon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #12  
Simon Says Stamp

Ana -- I reached out to Hero Arts about the problem you are having. You can email [email protected] if you'd like and if you feel like you can't use the stamp she can work with you to replace it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanaMView Post
Ana -- I reached out to Hero Arts about the problem you are having. You can email [email protected] if you'd like and if you feel like you can't use the stamp she can work with you to replace it
Hi Jana, thank you very much! I will contact her, because they are in really bad condition. Btw, I bought them at SSS ;)
Kind regards and thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought two 3" x 3.75" HA cling mount stamps about three years ago. One started curling within weeks of me getting it. Reading this thread, I went and had a look and I now see both are curled. I was keen to buy the stamps at the time even though the only store I could buy them was the store with a record of disappointing CS. When I had issues I didn't even bother to advise them. Before the curling I also had issues with the stamp not clinging properly to my block. So I had disappointment all round with those two stamps.

Since then I've bought one other brand of stamp that uses a similar method of cling film. I had the same problems of it not staying on the block. I don't have any problems with stamps that have the index printed onto the cling foam. I've decided to stick with those kind of stamp mountings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #15  
Simon Says Stamp

Thanks for purchasing the stamp you are talking about from SSS Ana. :-) I'm sorry you have not loved it. I have been thinking more about why my experience has been different. As I said in my earlier post I store them flat so maybe that makes them stay flatter.

I haven't had the "sticking to the block" issue because I realized that most of the clings I buy are background stamps. I never put those on the block. I put them on the table, stamp side up, ink it and put the paper down on it (and rub evenly). Of course with smaller clings I wouldn't do that but I realized I get better results than stamping with it the other way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
I bought two 3" x 3.75" HA cling mount stamps about three years ago. One started curling within weeks of me getting it. Reading this thread, I went and had a look and I now see both are curled. I was keen to buy the stamps at the time even though the only store I could buy them was the store with a record of disappointing CS. When I had issues I didn't even bother to advise them. Before the curling I also had issues with the stamp not clinging properly to my block. So I had disappointment all round with those two stamps.

Since then I've bought one other brand of stamp that uses a similar method of cling film. I had the same problems of it not staying on the block. I don't have any problems with stamps that have the index printed onto the cling foam. I've decided to stick with those kind of stamp mountings.
I just wanted to clarify a couple of points. The shop I refer to in my previous post is a local shop here in Australia. Saddly the few times I've been there I got the distinct impression I was interupting/annoying them, after all they have a shop to run. :rolleyes: Unfortunately they are also one of the most well stocked stamping stores I've ever been in.

My opinion of Hero Arts Stamps. I actually think they are a great company based on their longevity, trusted name in the industry and well respected designers who I admire greatly. I believe if I went direct to HA with my issues with the Cling Mounts I bought that I would get good service. I just haven't bothered to pursue it. I have some of their wood mounted stamps which are great!! I store all my foam/cling mounteds on mounting boards made for that purpose.

As for the original post. Yes my foam has shrunk. But this also happens on stamps from other brands in my collection. I believe it is the slick/shiny cling index which is the problem making my stamps curl up. Could I still get a good impression from them? - I think I could. Do I try? - No, too frustrating.
BTW Jana, love the SSS store and blogs. They are so welcoming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Glad to hear you have already emailed Hero Arts. Though I do not personally manage the [email protected] account, I would be happy to follow up with them on your behalf. Please contact me ([email protected]) if you wish. We will get this taken care of for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami-HeroArtsView Post
Glad to hear you have already emailed Hero Arts. Though I do not personally manage the [email protected] account, I would be happy to follow up with them on your behalf. Please contact me ([email protected]) if you wish. We will get this taken care of for you.
Thank you, Tami, and thanks everybody who answered to my question. The HA customer service is just great, they are going to send me new stamps to replace the ones I have problems with
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I have 5 Hero Arts stamps/stamp sets. And the vinyl they use for cling SUCKS. They seriously need to change their cling rubber mount if they haven't yet.

The vinyl shrinks and pulls at the foam (as already mentioned). And it doesn't cling well either. I pulled all the vinyl off the back of the stamps. Some left a lot of the adhesive behind so I can still stick it to something. Other ones, the adhesive came off with the vinyl so now I have to use something else to it will stick. Part of what really upsets me is I paid full price for these at my local art supply store. It's not something I made a habit of. ;)

I have 3 of the embossing folder/stamp sets where they partnered with Sizzix. Those have the normal cling foam.

Does anyone know if HA has changed their cling yet? Why keep using a product you know is crap? I will not buy another HA stamp or stamp set that has the vinyl label.

ETA: weird. I thought I had posted on this board before but it says this is my first post. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugal scrapperView Post

ETA: weird. I thought I had posted on this board before but it says this is my first post. LOL

Are you lindsaymay? If so, I think you must have made yourself two accounts.

Bic to Copic/Prismacolor conversion chart & Prismacolor hand color chart by lindsaymay at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

No. LOL

I came across the topic in a google search so thought I'd reply. I knew I had signed up once (and thought I had posted) so I had to do a 'forgot password'. I had no idea it was that long since I had signed up, too! Man, time flies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same exact problem with a Hero Arts background stamp that I just bought about a month ago. It's annoying, because I'd like to mount this background stamp if I want. And it's difficult when the rubber is curling up to get it to lay flat on the craft mat to stamp evenly. They are too expensive to fiddle with! I emailed Hero Arts the other day, and I'm awaiting a response...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 02:26 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm sorry that you are all having issues with stamps curling up and/or not sticking to the block. I know that it's really frustrating to have something not work properly - whether it cost a little or a lot! I'm just jumping in with a little nudge: unmounted, bare rubber (with 2-way glue on the back, or with Tack 'n Peel on the blocks you use them with) don't have any of these problems and take up soooo much less space! I just buy stamps that have images or sentiments that I love because I know I'm going to strip them down, anyway - how they're mounted when I buy them doesn't matter at all! I know it's not for everyone, but I love it and you might, also!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I have unmounted rubber I've bought from AI because it was a cheaper option. I prefer them to be mounted on cling cushion at least.

Last night I found one more background stamp (clocks) that I apparently forgot to remove the vinyl from. Pulled the vinyl sticker off but all the adhesive remained on the sticker this time, rather than the cushion so I have to put some repositionable adhesive on it to use it. I'm really not happy with that option (nor even if the adhesive remained on the foam as some did - I'd rather not have the adhesive at all!) But I am not spending the money to order EZ mount online. :( I doubt Hero Arts would so I'll just have to live with it. I don't need new stamps, I just need new mounting cushion with good cling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
unmounted, bare rubber (with 2-way glue on the back, or with Tack 'n Peel on the blocks you use them with) don't have any of these problems and take up soooo much less space!
A good idea, definitely! I just bought an unmounted rubber stamp from Lost Coast Designs and was inspired to just leave it on my craft mat and stamp the way the Lindsay, the Frugal Crafter does it. No fuss, a lot easier to store, and you don't have to buy the EZ Mount either! I can stamp on my silicone mat for a better impression, if needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
A good idea, definitely! I just bought an unmounted rubber stamp from Lost Coast Designs and was inspired to just leave it on my craft mat and stamp the way the Lindsay, the Frugal Crafter does it. No fuss, a lot easier to store, and you don't have to buy the EZ Mount either! I can stamp on my silicone mat for a better impression, if needed.
Or (more enabling here) use them with a MISTI... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Haha � you must have missed my post where I mentioned using the L Letterpress Platform as a substitute MISTI But I'm highly suggestible � see also my post about restricting my access to online craft stores, and using my stash LOL
Reply With Quote Likes