Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's Talk Craft Goals for 2015

Do you set goals for your crafting in the new year? Last year, my goal was to spend less and create more, to scrapbook more and to gift a lot of cards that were collecting dust. I did well with those goals. This year....

* Use my Copic markers more

* Clean up my scrapbook room - rearrange so that my heat press can be in that room

* Focus on using stamps that have never seen ink

* Continue with create more/spend less motto
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been contemplating my crafting goals this morning as well. Two things first at the top of my list are to use more of my stash and buy less this year. I have a few hobbies so things were getting a little out of control over the past few years. I do have a major incentive this year though. Our beloved little chihuahua was seriously ill and she almost died - twice - in the last 6-7 weeks. It will probably take me a couple years to pay off her vet bill, so that is where my crafting budget will be going. I'm not sad about it though (and really happy she's getting better). At least our baby is recovering and I will have to re-assess what I'm doing with all this stuff I've been accumulating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

cat_woman: I'm sorry to hear that your chihuahua has been ill, but glad she's recovering. I hope she's with you for a good long time yet!

My crafting goals this year:
  • Finish indexing everything - stamps, dies, punches, embossing folders, inks, EVERYTHING!
  • Purge/pare down to ONLY what I really, truly will use (I'm almost there) and be unbelievably, ruthlessly selective if I think about buying anything new
  • USE things, already!
  • Spend more time in the galleries here on SCS and LEAVE COMMENTS!

That's enough for now. I'll see if I get motivated to add to the list, but I think I'm all good...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been doing very well with crafting within my budget, and only buying what I need or know I will use. That was a goal awhile ago and has become a way of life

Three or four year a goal was to use stamps sets I had never done much with, or at least very little for a long time. Some gals from here on Splitcoast joined me on that challenge and it was great.

In contemplating for this year, I think it is going a different direction. My daughter and I live close to each other again and we want to craft together more. We have already spent a few lovely evenings in my craft room and there will be more I have a tendency to hole up at home when I am done work and I want to get out a bit more with other crafters. I signed up for Paper pumpkin and that is so much fun! My daughter and I want to work on these together along with a couple other ladies.

So I guess my crafting goal is to be more sociable with my creating. Great topic, made me think! Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
My crafting goals this year:
  • Finish indexing everything - stamps, dies, punches, embossing folders, inks, EVERYTHING!
  • Purge/pare down to ONLY what I really, truly will use (I'm almost there) and be unbelievably, ruthlessly selective if I think about buying anything new
  • USE things, already!
  • Spend more time in the galleries here on SCS and LEAVE COMMENTS!
All of these, plus make sure I stay current on birthdays and my Christmas cards throughout the year.

I'm in the process of digitizing my stamp catalog, which is helping me discover stamps to purge. I already have a b/s listing here, and will be adding more when I'm finished with the Evernote uploads.

I'd so much rather spend my time creating cards, and browsing the gallery, than cleaning and organizing. I also need to create more so I clean out some paper. I have too much but can't get rid of it.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I'm so sorry about your furry buddy Cat!! I'm glad she's recovering!

My first goal is to complete my studio re-org and finally have a functional space. I started this process by selling a lot of things I don't use and I'd like to have another big sale and really get down to what I love the most.

I want to try some new mediums this year - oil paints and other things.

I want to get back to doing at least three of our daily challenges a week - I loved it so much when I did that and the craziness of this year got in the way. I'm looking forward to a year with my routine back.

I would like to do more in the RAK forum - I have so many cards and I need to send them!

I want to mail birthday cards this year. On time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
All of these, plus make sure I stay current on birthdays and my Christmas cards throughout the year.
Yes! Me too. I want to also send more "just because" type cards. I like sending people a nice surprise piece of snail mail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I'm looking forward to a routine too - this has been a year of drawn-out transitions for our family, and that will spill into 2015 as well.

I want to keep learning and teaching what I learn... with all the hits our industry has taken, I want to keep educating and inspiring people to create.

Also, this year I want to move to larger canvases and paint some original works. I bought myself an easel for my birthday and I am going to use it.

I *think* my blog should roll over a million hits this year as well. That is a milestone to look forward to!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I already wrote mine out and put them on my desk.

1. Finish the inside of the cards as I make them and have the stuff already out.

2. Clean up after each project so that it doens't get out of hand.

3. Organize, declutter, and purge! I've been working on this for a while now and really got serious this week. I am selling on eBay and plan to use my profits to buy new storage.

4. Mail out birthday cards and 1-2 just because cards every week.

I hope I can stick to them and add the joy of a clean space and happy friends to my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I am going to jump in here and commit to something.
1. Get my craft room even more organised (done just some things aren't working right for me at the moment)
2. I have started placing my cards on flickr as I dont have a blog so now the next big step will be to enter a challenge. Just have to work out how to do it from flickr and make a card I feel confident with.
3. Use up NBUS and really try to buy less.
4. Stock up on copic refills as my copics always seem to be empty and it costs too much to constantly pay for top up. Very expensive here in Australia.
5. Most importantly craft more and procrastinate less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Press??

What type of HeatPress do you have? Do you love it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
Do you set goals for your crafting in the new year? Last year, my goal was to spend less and create more, to scrapbook more and to gift a lot of cards that were collecting dust. I did well with those goals. This year....

* Use my Copic markers more

* Clean up my scrapbook room - rearrange so that my heat press can be in that room

* Focus on using stamps that have never seen ink

* Continue with create more/spend less motto
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't do it every year, but do some years.

Reducing the amount of stuff I have is ALWAYS a goal -- and ALWAYS a challenge. I did pretty good 2 years ago, but think I have replaced at least half the stuff I purged with new stuff. {sigh!}

I think my biggest goal this year is to shop my stash rather than buying more. It is unrealistic for me to think that is going to be possible for me all year, but I would like to make a real effort to do it as often as I can. I have so many "HAD to have" things that are still unused that it is crazy for me to go buy more before using many of them. Am still trying to figure out if I have anything nice at home that I could repurpose as a display piece so that I could feel more like I was actually shopping for new stuff. Christmas stuff will be my biggest target. Realistically, there is just no reason I NEED to buy any more Christmas stamps till I use all the ones I already own.

I also want to do better at keeping up with the CCC15 challenge than I did with the CCC14 challenge. Made a shaker card I really liked in December -- am thinking that I will make a few more like that in January to get me started on the right foot.

Everything else falls more under the category of "would be nice" that actual goal. Would be nice to work ahead on birthdays, sympathy, etc. so it isn't always such a pressure situation. Would be nice to be able to participate in more of the annual SCS challenges -- HYCCT, Lovefest, Fan Club. Would be nice to be able to participate in more challenges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2015 goals:

1. Finish cutting out sample of every die I own; so far I've done all Christmas, Halloween, Easter & Valentine/Hearts.

2. Get my clear stamps out of the large binders that are too heavy and hard to handle and into individual plastic envelopes like Avery Elle.

3. Go through all my ink pads and get rid of any I don't like, don't use or are similar to those I do like and use.

4. Continue using stamps that have never seen ink. I do great with my Christmas stamps but fall short on all others.

5. DO NOT BUY ANY MORE PAPER!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Work on my project life albums

Enjoy and continue using my stash instead of buying more

Get out and use sets I LOVE, but have rarely used.

Keep my desk neater-I used to do better. It's in a combo office/stamp room right our living room and always looks messy!

See.....mess to the right!
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Talk Craft Goals for 2015-image.jpg  

Last edited by Allistamps123; 12-28-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Work on my project life albums

Enjoy and continue using my stash instead of buying more

Get out and use sets I LOVE, but have rarely used.

Keep my desk neater-I used to do better. It's in a combo office/stamp room right our living room and always looks messy!

See.....mess to the right!
Yes, but just look at that beautiful view you have right outside your window!

Just wanted to say how jealous I am of your front porch! My new/old house has more of a stoop than a porch, but I do have a nice patio in the back.

By the way, all of the goals stated above? Ditto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

My only goal right now is to clean up the mess I made while creating Christmas cards.

Next goal is buying hanging folders for the big file cabinet hubby gave me. Sort and put in all my paper. Right now I have all my card stock in an old dresser. Every time I want card stock I have to open at least 2 out of the 4 drawers to look for what I want.

After that, who knows. Maybe just play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

My goal is pretty organized....... every week, I will pull one stamp set off the shelf and make 20 cards with it. 20 different or 2 styles - 10 of each, or 4 styles - 5 of each, etc. Any set I can't use goes in the BST for sale.
I wish I could somehow organize a group to do this with me. I think lots of us have stamp sets that are pristine....(never seen ink!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 360 Likes on 198 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
My goal is pretty organized....... every week, I will pull one stamp set off the shelf and make 20 cards with it. 20 different or 2 styles - 10 of each, or 4 styles - 5 of each, etc. Any set I can't use goes in the BST for sale.
I wish I could somehow organize a group to do this with me. I think lots of us have stamp sets that are pristine....(never seen ink!)

I like this!!
I have lots of stamps that have never seen ink. Sometimes it takes inking and attempting to create a card to suddenly discover - that stamp is not my style and/or I really don't care for it! By challenging myself to make 20 cards (or any set number) with a stamp set - I can eliminate or cherish the stamps I have.
I plan to use what I have and limit what I buy. Unloved stamps, DSP and embellishments will be put into a donation box.
I also will finish the cards! Meaning, stamping and finishing the inside of the cards before moving on to the next ones.
I want to do a better job of mailing out birthday cards and "thinking of you" cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

My crafting goals for 2015:
Start using the dp that I have accrued over time and never used.
To use dies that I have bought but never got around to using.
I have Stampin Up sets that I never even mounted let alone used, this needs to change.
Most important goal for the upcoming year, make more time for myself to ensure the first 3 goals get realized.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

That seems like a great idea! You could create a thread here, a challenge blog, or a FB group for people to check in at the start of each week with what new/unused stamp set they're planning to use, and at the end of the week with a photo of their creations (or blog links) to help keep everyone accountable and inspired to use it or lose it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #21  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

My biggest stamping goal this year is a serious purge of stuff. I just have too much stuff for the space I have, and some of it needs to go. Some of it will be rehomed to nieces who are reaching the age of loving to craft, and think whatever cs, embellies, dsp and stamps I hand over is just wonderful. Win-win IMO. I get unused stuff out of my space, and they get free craft stuff and have a grand time.
My other big goal, once I have done the purge, is to work on getting the wood-mounted stamps I am keeping unmounted. UM just works better for the space I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't resist playing the devil's advocate and speaking for other slackers like myself.:mrgreen: I have no goals for stamping, other than to have fun and enjoy being creative.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #23  
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My goal is to do at least one of the SCS challenges each week. This should be more doable (and much easier) than saying I'm going to keep my craft space organized and clean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to have more fun with stamping, coloring and various techniques. Hopefully send 4 boxes of cards to Operation Write Home. And eat more dark chocolate!

Last edited by STYXROCKSME; 12-29-2014 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

My goal is to spend more time in the craft room and less time in front of the tv. Also, to allow myself be free to slap some paint or ink on paper without worrying about producing anything usable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
That seems like a great idea! You could create a thread here, a challenge blog, or a FB group for people to check in at the start of each week with what new/unused stamp set they're planning to use, and at the end of the week with a photo of their creations (or blog links) to help keep everyone accountable and inspired to use it or lose it!
Love this idea. I have never participated in anything before. could be a great way to use that unused had to have stuff. Could make it dies as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

My goals are to:

~Curb my buying habits on craft supplies

~use my silhouette more

~use up my four drawers of flowers

~purge and donate items that I know I will never use. Like my pattern scissors, plastic templates, round circle cuter etc....

~generate sayings for the inside of my cards, instead of writing everything by hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

How is this for the "rules"? If you are participating, check in on Monday with the stamp sets you are using. When you have done your 20 cards, post them (I don't know where.... any ideas?) by the following Sunday. If you don't have your 20 cards done, you can have a three day grace period. We will keep a list of "completers" and I will think of prizes for the end of 6 months.
In 26 weeks, you would have created over 500 cards and used 26 different sets. Of course, the goal is to use without buying more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

realistic: take the cricut explore I got for my birthday out of the box and learn to use it and then use it.

reach: figure out a way to earn some money on this hobby (as if I broke even I'd be in heaven!) anyone want to just send me money so I can cross this off my list?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #30  
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

How is this for the "rules"? If you are participating, check in on Monday with the stamp sets you are using. When you have done your 20 cards, post them (I don't know where.... any ideas?) by the following Sunday. If you don't have your 20 cards done, you can have a three day grace period. We will keep a list of "completers" and I will think of prizes for the end of 6 months.
In 26 weeks, you would have created over 500 cards and used 26 different sets. Of course, the goal is to use without buying more!

I like this idea since it would encourage me to use those stamp sets that have not seen any or very little ink. However, for me 20 cards a week is a little overwhelming. I work full time so I'm afraid a commitment with a deadline of 20 cards a week would take the fun out of stamping/creating cards. Would you consider making it 5 or 10 cards a week?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

1. Purge...I will sell stamps, I don't use anymore
2. Get Published in Just Cards
3. Stay active with Fun Stampers Journey
4. Continue to send cards to give someone a "little happy"
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 06:16 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 360 Likes on 198 Posts

I also work full time and some days I am too exhausted to think about creating cards or I have a mountain of housework that screams at me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #33  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

You could consider starting a thread down in the Challenges section of the forum.
Splitcoast Challenges Forums: Daily Challenges Throughout the Week
Down below all the regular weekly challenges and VSN/VSBN, you can start a thread. Usually the 100 cards in 100 days challenge thread is down there, for example, and the Any Occasions card challenge.
If you choose a unique keyword (with NO spaces, just words and numbers), then people can upload to the gallery using that keyword. Something like USEIT2015 would work ;-). Or people could just attach a group shot of their cards as an attachment to a post in that thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
I also work full time and some days I am too exhausted to think about creating cards or I have a mountain of housework that screams at me!
I hate it when work gets in the way of my play time!
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
I like this!!
I have lots of stamps that have never seen ink. Sometimes it takes inking and attempting to create a card to suddenly discover - that stamp is not my style and/or I really don't care for it! By challenging myself to make 20 cards (or any set number) with a stamp set - I can eliminate or cherish the stamps I have.
Be careful not to burn out! That is a high number.

Another idea would be choosing a stamp set each week and coming up with 3 really different ways to use it... for me that's a rule of thumb for purchasing or keeping sets.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Ok, I am going to try to set this up in challenges so we can start next Monday. And maybe the 20 is a little lofty so let's say AT LEAST 10. Sabrina, I might need some help setting it up so if I do, I will PM you.
Love USEIT2015 as a keyword!
Looking forward to having some friends join me in using my stamps in2015!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

As much as I don't want to, I really need to go on a serious spending freeze! I also need to go through my stamps and get the stamps that I don't use ready to sell at my local LSS. Finally, use what I don't get rid of and have fun with it! I have plenty I can't get rid of but either haven't seen any love or very little! :mrgreen:

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Quote:

Ok, I am going to try to set this up in challenges so we can start next Monday. And maybe the 20 is a little lofty so let's say AT LEAST 10. Sabrina, I might need some help setting it up so if I do, I will PM you.
Looking forward to having some friends join me in using my stamps in2015!
I really like this idea, some how I need to remember!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Be careful not to burn out! That is a high number.

Another idea would be choosing a stamp set each week and coming up with 3 really different ways to use it... for me that's a rule of thumb for purchasing or keeping sets.
I was thinking that too -- 20 cards a week is an awful lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #40  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Looking forward to having some friends join me in using my stamps in 2015!
Sure, just PM me if you need help.
I too would suggest a lower limit if you want more people to play along. Even ten is still a lot for some people - 5 would be more practical. I know that these days I don't even get that many made most weeks, sigh...
Perhaps you could have it like the Christmas Card challenge, where people set their own goals; so if you want to make 20, you could, and you'd still have the challenge to motivate you to achieve that, but for those who wanted to make just 3 or 5, they could still participate. Just a suggestion...I know that people made anything from 3 to a dozen cards for their commitment to the CC challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes