Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric die cutting machines

cricut or cameo?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Cameo hands down for me!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

LOVE!!!! my Cricut Explore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have or intend to buy Cricut cartridges, I see no reason to buy the Cricut machine. There are plenty of cutters with fantastic OPEN design programs that will allow you to do much more than what you can do with a Cricut (even the Explore). And you can use these OTHER design programs offline, unlike the proprietary, online-dependent Explore design program.

If you have already invested in Cricut carts, however, then the Explore is a great way to optimize them.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 12-02-2014 at 03:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Provocraft change the rules too much for me to ever buy Cricut again. When my Cricut Expression dies I will be Cameo, there are awesome deals on upload cards and loads of images all over the internet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I had two crickets and I never really figured them out and I gave both of them away. I switched to a cameo and I love it. I discovered SVGcuts last year and since then my cameo works overtime cutting out all their really fun projects!

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cameo!!!!!!!!! Ive had mine for almost a year and i Loooves it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Cameo the easy pick for me. I don't want to be online to cut my designs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Never had a cricket, always had a Silhouette. To me, having to buy cartridges make it too much like constantly having to buy dies- the freedom from that was what made the choice for me.I can buy one design, and with the huge array available for free on the internet, don't always even have to buy them.Pinterest will provide a wealth of links to those.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 12-02-2014 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 04:05 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Cameo...need I say more?! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Wow thanks for the advice. I was going in the direction of the Cameo Silhouette but wanted to make sure. Is the Silhouette the machine that will cut any fonts or clipart images you have on your computer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKPScrapperView Post
Wow thanks for the advice. I was going in the direction of the Cameo Silhouette but wanted to make sure. Is the Silhouette the machine that will cut any fonts or clipart images you have on your computer?
Sure will, great choice! You're going to love the Cameo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, it is. In any size you require too- which was another big selling point for me. You can cut letters/numbers/words etc in a size to fit your project, not just 'close enough'. There are also many, many people on the net posting up free files, of the Nesties type, so you can cut alll sorts of shapes/mats/labels etc. If you want the embossed edge look of a Nestie, just cut a second shape slightly smaller, then run through your 'bug in an embossing sandwich! Or go around it by had and embossing stylus tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKPScrapperView Post
I don't have a Cameo but I do follow this blog and hope it can help - Silhouette School
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I wanted to add if your needing to cut anything heavy like chipboard (thicker than cereal box) or heavy acetate, etc... don't buy the Cameo. It's not made to be a heavy duty cutter. The motor was designed for detailed cutting so it takes lighter materials. Hasn't stopped a lot of people from trying to cut heavy items on it but you shouldn't do it. ;)

I have an old Cricut I modded out for that purpose. I am tired of putting money into expensive die cutters. When I am in the market for a heavy duty cutter I am looking into the Sizzix Eclips.

I do love my Cameo. Best cutter for detail work on the market. I am a stickler for detail.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
that's one reason the klick n kut zing is on my wish list. It's supposed to be able to cut heavier things.
I love my Zing! and Make the Cut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

that's one reason the klick n kut zing is on my wish list. It's supposed to be able to cut heavier things.
You won't be disappointed with the KNK. Mine cuts through chipboard like butter. The only issue is making sure the chipboard is secured on the mat. I make sure I have applied fresh Krylon and tape it down with painters tape. It's unbelievably powerful and super fast. I honestly don't use mine much since I've retired. I used it for large work related projects, it's a 24", that would have taken forever on my Cameo or Gazelle. I find my Cameo is my goto machine these days, since I'm mainly making cards. I use poster board or cereal weight material instead of chipboard and glue layers together rather than chipboard, if needed. It's a lot easier than setting up my KNK, since it's huge and in a separate area. Be sure to ask yourself how often you will really use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Yes, it is. In any size you require too- which was another big selling point for me. You can cut letters/numbers/words etc in a size to fit your project, not just 'close enough'. There are also many, many people on the net posting up free files, of the Nesties type, so you can cut alll sorts of shapes/mats/labels etc. If you want the embossed edge look of a Nestie, just cut a second shape slightly smaller, then run through your 'bug in an embossing sandwich! Or go around it by had and embossing stylus tool.
That's a good tip, TFS! I have a Brother Scan n Cut but I can do the same thing with my shapes. I like the look of an embossed edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
You won't be disappointed with the KNK. Mine cuts through chipboard like butter. The only issue is making sure the chipboard is secured on the mat. I make sure I have applied fresh Krylon and tape it down with painters tape. It's unbelievably powerful and super fast. I honestly don't use mine much since I've retired. I used it for large work related projects, it's a 24", that would have taken forever on my Cameo or Gazelle. I find my Cameo is my goto machine these days, since I'm mainly making cards. I use poster board or cereal weight material instead of chipboard and glue layers together rather than chipboard, if needed. It's a lot easier than setting up my KNK, since it's huge and in a separate area. Be sure to ask yourself how often you will really use it.
Anne- I love your review of the KNK! Thank you for posting it. I seriously thought about buying a Zing. I don't need that kind of power any more on a machine. Then I thought about buying a Sizzix. I am like "Eh!" "Who cares!" I am happy with what I got. You did really help with my decision. I was kind of teetering to get a Zing.

I have been doing what you are doing. I am cutting out lighter chipboard with my Cameo and gluing it together. I think it looks prettier. I like that I can control how thick I want my "chipboard" to look.

Isn't that the truth about how big the KNK machines are! I always forget our machines need to be stored. You know I wish I never bought the Cameo. I would be happy with a Portrait. When my Cameo breaks down someday I will get a smaller Silhouette. That's the 2nd big reason why I won't buy the Explore. I miss my baby Cricut. She was a good machine.
I don't even know what possessed me to buy big machines.

Girls/Guys reading this take in account for storing your machines. They will need a permanent spot. You need good clearance in the front & back for whatever machine you purchase.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I have the cricut and the silhouette SD. I love the freedom of the silhouette. (the SD is mainly for paper not card stock) I'm working on getting the cameo, but most likely, not until after the first of year. I love all of my die cutters but if I were recommending one to buy for someone who is going to do the average amount of cutting, I would recommend the cameo simply because there is so many free cut files out there and the program that goes with it, well it SOOOO easy to create your very own cut file. I think that's HALF the fun. Plus,... there are free daily/weekly cut files from major contributors, including silhouette and Miss Cuttables. I go download the freebies each day/week, just in case!!

If you're asking what to purchase for your 1st and/or only electronic die cutter.

CAMEO!!!!!

Ok...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

You know, to add to my above comment....

I love my cricut, but I'm very annoyed with Provo Craft. They were so set on being prioritary that they lost a lot of us to silhouette. They could have devised their machines years ago to cut individual files, but all they saw was the all mighty buck. They wanted to sell those darn carts. They closed up the loop hole for those who were able to cut SVG files on their expressions with that program, as soon as they realized there was that hole. I don't blame a company for wanting to make money (as that is the purpose of running a business), but I just felt like they just wanting to keep bilk bilk bilking us out of money for those carts. Now, they want to play nice and allow their NEW machine to use SVG files.

Although, I do think of selling my cricut expression, gypsy, jukebox, and various carts and tools as a package. I love it and still use it. I'm not ready to sell it yet, but I do think about it. I don't have TOO many carts. I think I have about 25-30 actual carts and my gypsy that has about 50 on there. I am satisfied with what I have and the machine that I have cuts really well. Eventually, I will sell the stuff and move on to straight up Cameo only.

Thanks for letting me vent about Provo Craft. Like I said, I'm a bit annoyed with them.

I'm in agreement though, I don't plan on giving provo craft another dime,... ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my Cameo!
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverkat276View Post

I love my cricut, but I'm very annoyed with Provo Craft. They were so set on being prioritary that they lost a lot of us to silhouette. They could have devised their machines years ago to cut individual files, but all they saw was the all mighty buck. They wanted to sell those darn carts. They closed up the loop hole for those who were able to cut SVG files on their expressions with that program, as soon as they realized there was that hole. I don't blame a company for wanting to make money (as that is the purpose of running a business), but I just felt like they just wanting to keep bilk bilk bilking us out of money for those carts. Now, they want to play nice and allow their NEW machine to use SVG files.

Although, I do think of selling my cricut expression, gypsy, jukebox, and various carts and tools as a package. I love it and still use it. I'm not ready to sell it yet, but I do think about it. I don't have TOO many carts. I think I have about 25-30 actual carts and my gypsy that has about 50 on there. I am satisfied with what I have and the machine that I have cuts really well. Eventually, I will sell the stuff and move on to straight up Cameo only.

Thanks for letting me vent about Provo Craft. Like I said, I'm a bit annoyed with them.

I'm in agreement though, I don't plan on giving provo craft another dime,... ever.
My plan is to keep the Expression until it dies and then I will pass on the cartridges here on probably a freebie as a kind crafter that was clearing out sent me her cartridges so I will pass it on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverkat276View Post

Vent away! I have been trying to bite my tongue but that latest PR stunt ProvoCraft is pulling was my final straw. I know so many of you are like "That was your final straw?" ROFL!

Have you all seen the newest one where ProvoCraft had a research company do tests on the Cameo & Explore? Then ProvoCraft posted the results on their front page. When I was a young college girl I worked a few months for one of those research companies. The company would make sure the clients would have the best test results. Even though they tested thoroughly when they gave the client the results that were most favorable to them. I understand it's all part of the game and advertising. Coke vs Pepsi, Apple vs Samsung. You see it all the time. I just didn't like the way ProvoCraft did it. It seems a bit shady to me.

Let Consumer Reports test the new Explore to the Cameo. I bet the results will be a lot more accurate with favorable and negatives for each company.

I know Silhouette reads the board. Maybe, they should do their own testing.

I love my Cricut too. I love the designs of old. My DH was talking about buying tools tonight. He asked me if I wanted another cutter. I really thought about it. I told him no. I told him I haven't bought a Cricut cartridge in five years. My Aqua Expression is older than the die cutting hills. I am good with my Cameo & Cuttlebug. I just put a computer in my art room so I don't have to rely on the Gypsy any more. I don't think I will be buying any more Cricut things either. I have always said I never blamed the machine. My heart goes out to the designers who worked for ProvoCraft. I think that's why I stayed so loyal for so long. I am big into supporting artists.

Plus, I don't want to be online to cut. I think that is so strange. I can't wrap my head around it, lol. I don't have to be online to use my printer. Why do I have to be online to use a plotter that falls under the printer category. It's a tech geek thing, I guess.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Seeing as I have numerous electronic cutters....my best and fav must have combo is the Cameo and the Scan N Cut. Hands down

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet43View Post
Seeing as I have numerous electronic cutters....my best and fav must have combo is the Cameo and the Scan N Cut. Hands down
OMG, forgot to mention my SNC. I really appreciated it today, when I cut out the pinecones on the SU Ornamental Pine stamp. Yep, no more fussy cuddy! I cut up a page full without a hitch. If one has these two machines, the Cameo & SNC, you're in business!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have lots of machines but the three that are always ready to use are:
Cameo
Brother Scan n Cut
Crossover (nice machine/ not a good design. Hubby says design flaw)
Please let us know what you choose!
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Girls/Guys reading this take in account for storing your machines. They will need a permanent spot. You need good clearance in the front & back for whatever machine you purchase.
This is why you need the Zing Air! :lol::lol::lol: It came out very shortly after I bought my Zing and I wish I had waited another couple weeks. They do have a motherboard swap out for the bluetooth card, but I have the space for mine on my desk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Do all laptops (modern, that is) have bluetooth capability? I honestly don't know if mine does. It's a few years old. Or can it be added?
If your laptop has a slot open for the card, then you can upgrade it to bluetooth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

What kind of computer do you have. You can google the make and model.

Here is a couple of links that can help you determine if you have bluetooth. If your computer is less than 5 years old, most likely it does.

The links below basically guide you the same way, but depending on how you comprehend things, one link might be better than the other. I know that I learn differently than some so I usually have to read different things that say the same thing but is worded differently. I sure hope that this helps.

How to Check if Your Computer Has Bluetooth: 8 Steps - wikiHow

How can i tell if my laptop has bluetooth - Microsoft Community

How to Determine If Your PC Has Bluetooth Capability - For Dummies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

ha. I have no idea. There are slots. How do I know it's a bluetooth slot?
The slots are generic and depending on what type of card you put in it determines the functionality. So you could put in a sound card, a video card, or a bluetooth card in a slot. I'm explaining this in very simple terms (don't want to offend you, but I don't know how much you understand computers)

Or.... you could take it to a place like Best Buy and ask one of their geeks to tell you if your computer is bluetooth capable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Gale, Just follow those directions and it should surely help you find it. It was simple but yet detailed. Let us know what you figure out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

We don't have a best buy or any computer store (staples just closed recently). I'll have to look through all the device manager and stuff. I looked up the model number and the manual just shows generic bluetooth info but doesn't say if this model has it or not.

eta: the laptop is a toshiba satellite L755-S5244
You could contact Toshiba and ask if there is an optional bluetooth card you can install. Their tech people should know if it can be done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

So I looked at the specs for this model. You can find it here. There is a link to this computer specs on PDF about 1/2 way down the scroll. Satellite L755-S5244 Support | Toshiba

On page 2 of the PDF it talks about the blue tooth. I would almost guarantee that it does simply because it is standard practice to include blue tooth since windows 7. It wasn't on all the the previous windows such as Vista, but by 7 it was pretty standard to include blue tooth on just about any electronic devices.

So, by looking at the specs you do have bluetooth. You can follow that step by step with the device manager and that should tell you in less than 5 minutes if you for sure have it or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I'm sorry to hear that. Anything that you buy today most likely will have it.

From what I read on those specs I was sure that you did have it. My apologies. Maybe it has bluetooth capabilities, maybe you just have to download a program or something. I would still check with Toshiba as suggested above. If it's no more than 5 or 6 years old it really should have it or the capabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Back to the main topic. I don't have a die cutting machine and from what I am seeing the new Circut Explore Air is much easier to use. I'm not a computer geek like my husband. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Great, no one is looking at this any longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyamicalView Post
Back to the main topic. I don't have a die cutting machine and from what I am seeing the new Circut Explore Air is much easier to use. I'm not a computer geek like my husband. Thoughts?
It doesn't seem to be a popular opinion - but I LOVE my Cricut Explore! It's done everything that I need - print & cut, subscription is 9.99/month or upload any cartridges that you have, cuts all sorts of materials, I've uploaded and cut other SVG templates, there are "Make it now" projects, I love all the Anna Griffin cartridges/images, currently compatible with the Ipad and they are working for an Android OS, and more. And it's pretty quiet. It's done everything that I've needed it to do and people love the outcome!

I have not used the other machines so I have nothing to compare it to and don't know what other features the other machines have that this one might not....so I can't offer any comparison.

ProvoCraft now has a techy guy at the helm and he's made major technical changes to the machine - check Angel Policies if those are of a concern...but they may exist for other machines too....I just don't know.

Good Luck! with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

So, I wrote a big 'ol explanation then I realize that I said the same thing on page one of this thread. So, I will say or repeat this.....

Read, research, go to youtube and different blogs and such. There are people out there that have them both and will tell you their opinion between the 2. It's a difficult decision now that PC came out with the explorer and their price has dropped considerably since they first came out. There are a LOT of review out there now, research them.

Good luck in your search.

BTW, I sometimes give away cut files that I design. I really enjoy making my own cut files.

Last edited by Denverkat276; 03-24-2015 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am not smart enough to make my own cut files so my hat is off to you Denverkat276.
Reply With Quote Likes