Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desktop Space

What is on your desktop space - work surface? All the time - the things you leave out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Big Shot, and most used dies, embossing folders, assorted markers, colored pencils, and glitter brushes, assorted adhesives, acrylic blocks. I also have a shallow shelving unit that sits at the back of my work area that holds stamps, paper pads, assorted artist mediums and art journals
Sounds cluttered but it really isn't. Irecently rearranged my work are into an L shape to have my die cutting on the small side and the main work area on the larger side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have all my rulers, knives, and small tools in a caddy that turns to the side, like this

and my markers are in storage like this

and my craft mat and lighting, everything else is in drawers or shelving away from my actual work area, so that I can optimize my space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer my desktop clean and tidy since I also work from home a bit. I store all of my supplies when I'm not using them.

I should also mention my workspace is in my living room so it motivates me to keep it looking good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I prefer my desktop clean and tidy since I also work from home a bit. I store all of my supplies when I'm not using them.

I should also mention my workspace is in my living room so it motivates me to keep it looking good!
Awesome that you can keep it so cleaned up! Have you seen this? I was thinking if I had to keep things in my living room, this would be the way to go!
sarah m. dorsey designs: Inside the credenza

My desk, on the other hand, looks nothing like this neat and tidy pretty piece of work. Always on my desk are my various markers in a pretty neat organizer I made, one spinner for my most used tools, a Kelly Craft magnetic mat and laser light, too many pieces of paper, a water reservoir for watercoloring (although I use my water brushes more), an Ott light, stamp cleaners, a bottle of alcohol (the rubbing kind) and acrylic blocks.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a tv on one end of my workspace, a basket full of essentials tools in the middle and on the other end I have all of my copics and markers that I use everyday. I also have a wire rack that has all of my ink pads, and other stamping supplies.
Attached Thumbnails
Desktop Space-013.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I read a thread here on SCS about keeping a clean desktop and thought I try it and just hated it. If was a complete PITA "for me" to go and get things, opening drawers, and most of the time my fingers are inky or covered in some goey mess or paint so I was constantly wiping my hands or cleaning smudge marks. I put everything back the way I like in easy reach for the tools I use most often.

Pictures left to right

1 - this is the left of my desk top - stipple brushes, paint brushes, scissors, rulers, glue, acrylic paints, watercolors, and Big Shot

2- this is the work top behind where I sit - spray mists

3 - work top to my left - daubers, misc sponge tools, tweezers, embossing tools, M.I.S.T.I, cleaners, bleach, water, etc.

4- main work area - ink pads, markers, prisma pencils, swabs, felt blending strips, and cotton balls

Whew - that is what I keep on my desktop space :p
Attached Thumbnails
Desktop Space-dscn2272.jpg   Desktop Space-dscn2276.jpg   Desktop Space-dscn2275.jpg   Desktop Space-dscn2277.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Too much!

I have my Big Shot, guillotine cutter, what is supposed to be a shoe shelf (lol), and a Sterlite 3 plastic drawer unit.

Shoe shelf - pens, markers, & scissors on the top shelf; small ink pads in a box & another paper cutter on the middle shelf; glues & tape and an assortment of blue inkpads & stickles in the area underneath the shelf.

Sterlite drawers - acrylic blocks, SAMJ, foam pad to cushion under my naked stamps, misc embellies

I use the top of my guillotine cutter as my stamping surface. I like using the grid lines to be sure I'm stamping straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Stamphappy1651, I really like your work space. where did you find the clear acrylic shelves that hod you spray mists?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspringView Post
Stamphappy1651, I really like your work space. where did you find the clear acrylic shelves that hod you spray mists?

They are nail polish racks that someone here on SCS used. I got them at Amazon. I bought 3 - 2 for mists and 1 for acrylic paint. One that I received had a small piece chipped off but it doesn't show so I didn't send it back. The rack comes in 3 pieces (1 shelf and 2 sides that you screw on). I love them and the price is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh my Goodness... Look at all those YUMMY goodies you get to play with... I LOVE your space....

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Lots of paintbrushes and pens. Basket with my heat gun, glue guns, hair dryer and iron. A small drawer that holds all my small tools that I reach for all the time- erasers, needles, etc.... Three lamps- my regular desk lamp, my natural light lamp and my night light. Yes, I am night blind. Post it note holder & a Little Pet Shop turtle. I have a big desk.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Ink pads, which are in one of those wooden cases with the slots, on top of the ink case is a box on its side that has six compartments and I have single stamps displayed in this.

clear blocks, scissors, bone folder, SU marker set, lamp, stickles are also stored on the ink shelf, 2 pencil holders....that's all I can think of. I'm not at home.

There are other things in close reach, but not on my desk! Punches, heat gun, twine, rhinestones, ATG, mono-multi glue, pearls, glue dots, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 03:03 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

About 7 bottles of different brands of glues, Fray Stop, paintbrushes for watercolouring, water bowl, heat gun and dimensionals/double-sided tape. And I have a container of tools such as a paper piercer, Bow Easy, bone folder, craft knives etc. Most importantly, I have my 2 lamps which I have in addition to spotlights - I just can't see detail without bright light - and my magnifying pair of glasses so I can see super-fine detail!

I have been trying to make my very small desk area more practical as I usually end up with an ever-diminishing space which frustrates me so I love to look at other people's desks to get some ideas on how to achieve a better solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I always have on my desk snail adhesive, dimensionals, scissors, sticky tape, ink pad holder, paper trimmer, my tool caddy (Pampered Chef turn about) and clear blocks.

I feel these are the necessities I use all the time so I don't have to search for them. My paper rack is close by as is all my DSP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just last night I told the love of my life that I felt like there was an avalanche fixing to happen. In the middle of the table are...2, 4 tiered storage bins from Harbor Freight for my border punches and some frequently used punches. 2 spice racks that spin (one stacked on top of the other) for flowers and glitter. 2 spinning kitchen bins (one stacked on top of the other) the type you might use to put canned food on, that houses my glues and toothpicks, and qtips...etc and on top of THAT is a spinning kitchen utensils holder that holds pens, styluses, markers, scissors, screw drivers glue, tweezers, squeeze punches, markers, and misc. stuff. Then there is a bin on my right for completed or near completed projects my mat that has bottles of glue (4?) to the right of the mat is my scissors, pencil, exacto knife, pokey tool, ruler and ATG gun....sigh it is a mess. there is much, much more but I feel y'all have gone to sleep reading this. A clean and neat work space would be so nice but then how would I get anything done as I would obsess over putting everything back up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I read a thread here on SCS about keeping a clean desktop and thought I try it and just hated it. If was a complete PITA "for me" to go and get things, opening drawers, and most of the time my fingers are inky or covered in some goey mess or paint so I was constantly wiping my hands or cleaning smudge marks. I put everything back the way I like in easy reach for the tools I use most often.

Pictures left to right

1 - this is the left of my desk top - stipple brushes, paint brushes, scissors, rulers, glue, acrylic paints, watercolors, and Big Shot

2- this is the work top behind where I sit - spray mists

3 - work top to my left - daubers, misc sponge tools, tweezers, embossing tools, M.I.S.T.I, cleaners, bleach, water, etc.

4- main work area - ink pads, markers, prisma pencils, swabs, felt blending strips, and cotton balls

Whew - that is what I keep on my desktop space :p
I love all your mists!!! What do you do with them - I've used them, and like them, but not to the point of having so many - but I'm sure if I had more /better ideas of what to do, I'd invest in lots :-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Everything is stored when I'm not using it. Now, I work almost everyday, so there is usually something out while I'm working, but at the end of a project it all goes away. During a project, I also clean up, but do leave out adhesives, stamp cleaner and my paper stack for my stamping surface. On another counter I have my guillotine cutter that is always out as it is too big to put away. "A place for everything and everything in its place," is my motto.

Oops! I also leave out my heat gun. Most often it's too hot to put away!

Last edited by jeanne3579; 10-08-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Now I am feeling really guilty with how cluttered my workspace is... oh dear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
If you can be productive and are happy, there is no need to be guilty at all. We all have our own best ways to work and that's the how it should be. Craft away!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
If you can be productive and are happy, there is no need to be guilty at all. We all have our own best ways to work and that's the how it should be. Craft away!!!
Not particularly productive or happy about it, but in the middle of too many projects on and off the table. Hopefully sorting most of that in the next couple of days. I think it is time for a proper task list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

I love cluttered desks. I have said so many times over here how I am inspired by cluttered desks. No matter how hard I try I can't do a cluttered anything. I really wish I could. I think it would be freeing. Something clicks in my brain and I start cleaning up.

Quote:

Not particularly productive or happy about it, but in the middle of too many projects on and off the table. Hopefully sorting most of that in the next couple of days. I think it is time for a proper task list.
That's when it stops becoming artistic clutter and just downright overwhelming. I have been doing a lot of tech stuff lately. My tech desk has been cluttered. I have to keep it out when I am testing. I got so overwhelmed I cleared it off. I was actually messing up things and not productive at all.

I keep a task list for crafting. I always thought to myself I would not be the girl with WIP's. I am the girl with WIP's. They always get done. If I didn't have a task list they would not get done. Having a task list makes me feel more creative. I know what I am delving into for the day. If I have several projects for the day that need to be done least my list helps me break it down without feeling overwhelmed.

I am a list maker at heart. Kind of surprising since I am super spontaneous.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Question for JoBear2. What do you use fray stop for? I know what it's uses for in sewing.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Fray Stop (it might be called Fray Check in the USA - ?) for the ends of my ribbons on my cards so that they don't look frayed and tatty. I first started using it when I was on a DT for a company interstate and I had to make card samples and post them to the company. Because this company used my cards as samples at all the Craft Shows that they travelled to around Australia, my cards would get handled ALOT because they would sometimes use my card as a sample for a workshop they were holding or just as a sample for potential customers to look at - and if the ribbons looked tattered, they didn't look as nice/professional. I particularly found that silk ribbon, satin ribbon and organza frayed terribly and found the Fray Stop was the perfect solution for me as you only need a very fine line of it to stop the fraying.

I also love to use it on some ribbons that as soon as you cut them, they begin unravelling so in that case, I apply the Fray Stop before cutting the ribbon, let it dry and then cut - cuts perfectly and no fraying. It is also great for twine or string as it stop it from unravelling. The Fray Stop doesn't take long to dry so using it doesn't slow me down at all and you use so little that the bottle lasts forever and doesn't dry up (my current bottle is at least 5 years old). I am no longer on the DT (I am a Carer now) but kept using the Fray Stop. I honestly wouldn't want to be without it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Al my ink pads, SU! markers

Tools - scissors, sponges, foam mats, scrubbing mat, acrylic blocks, water spray bottle, stylus, ruler

Camera, laptop

In a shallow desk draw I have mt Scor=Pal

Right beside me is a filing drawer for cardstock.

Behind me is a guillotine. I have a swivel chair so it is easy to spin around and use the cutter.

All stamps and bigshot station are on the other side of the room. Same with all other colour mediums and patterned paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Goodness, what don't I have on my desk? I desperately need some shelves above my desk to free up some space.

I have my copics, my carousel full of tools, 3d foam pads, double sided tape, my big shot, my glass cutting mat, and a huytch that has my sidekick, sizzlet dies, stampamajig, bow makers, small inkpads, xyron sticker maker (the X one) and baby wipes. I also have a plastic drawer unit that has all my wafer thin dies in it, and my paper flowers.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

BoBear2 what a awesome tip. I hate that when ends of ribbon fray. I'm glad I asked. Take Care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My brain freezes when I see too much clutter, it's too distracting and I can't find things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2014, 05:27 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
My brain freezes when I see too much clutter, it's too distracting and I can't find things!
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Likes