Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question heat embossing on wood

I am just wondering if anyone has tried heat embossing on wood? I would love to try this and I just want to make sure i do it right.

I am making a tissue box cover for a family member for christmas my husband is building the tissue box cover himself and then we will paint/emboss/stamp it and just wondering if anyone has any tips?

I have a friend who mentioned using gesso first on it and then painting it and then stamping it and then embossing it if that makes sense? i am not entirely sure what paint to use. It will have a picture of a sheep well lots of them going across the long sides and on the ends ive got a stamp with about 4 sheep on it and would like to emboss all of them. it would be stamped in black or i could use black embossing powder

I would try all this on scrap wood first. likely to use either craft wood if my husband can find it or pine one of the two

It would be great to paint the bottom green and the top around the sheep blue like the grass and the sky and have the sheep white except in the big stamp where some are black!\

I hope this makes sense

if any one has a tutorial or information that would be so helpfuL!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

There is a blog I follow where she does this frequently. I have done it on small wood pieces for earrings - here's that link, while I find the other:

Mama Dini's Stamperia: Impression Obsession DT Challenge: Out of the Box
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #3  

OK, here we go - hang on to your chair! This blog is gorgeous.

https://craftingbydominique.wordpress.com
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 08-16-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the links - i think they are far more complicated than I could ever do at least for now. Any chance of very simple as in beginner instructions? I am trying to figure out if i need to use gesso (as suggested by a friend) first and then paint/stamp/emboss or whether i could just paint stamp and emboss? its quite expensive and i would hate to buy something i dont really need.

I noticed that they actually embossed first for the earrings but i wanted to do this last basically have an effect of paint stamped image then embossing whether or not the gesso is applied or not. I really appreciate your help and I cannot believe how fast the responses are so thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #5  

I just read your post more closely, and I think I can visualize your project a little better now. Also noticed you are quite new to us - welcome!

Gesso is like a primer, so if you're working on wood that is more absorbent and you think your paint would soak into it, you might want to prepare the surface with gesso first. It does give a good base for the paint to stick to and sit on. Acrylic paints or craft paints would work best for your scene.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes