Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft Supply Moratorium

I've been on a craft supply buying spree lately and ended up spending my whole day yesterday re-organizing and finding space for all the new stuff. As I would much rather be creating than cleaning, it put me in a real funk.:( I'm determined to just use what I have for a while. (Might even be able to put a few $$ in savings!)

Has anyone else gone through this? Why is it so much fun to buy stuff?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I have so much card stock and dp that I finally said - ENOUGH!!! I haven't bought paper in almost 2 years and I try to make at least 10-20 cards/week for various organizations. Just sent hotwheels a dozen card kits (6 cards per kit) and yet... I still have 6 (six) 15 x 15 cubes of paper left. I'm ashamed :oops: that I let it get so bad. I fill every RAK request I can (mailing paper can be expensive) and I offer to make cards and crafts for any organization locally that will allow me to make something that doesn't have to be shipped. What good are all our supplies and stashes of paper if we aren't using them to do some good? I'm with you girl... stick to it. You will be much happier challenging yourself to use what you have in new and creative ways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For some of us, buying is in itself a pleasure, having little to do with actual crafting. It's like potato chips have little to do with hunger.

This is an issue (spending and potato chips!!) with which I struggle. I did some impulsive spending earlier in July and have stepped back from spending for a while. I have plenty to keep me happy and when I get the impulse, I put it in my cart and walk away. And then delete.

The reality is that there is never enough space, time or money to use everything I'd like to own. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
For some of us, buying is in itself a pleasure, having little to do with actual crafting. It's like potato chips have little to do with hunger.

This is an issue (spending and potato chips!!) with which I struggle. I did some impulsive spending earlier in July and have stepped back from spending for a while. I have plenty to keep me happy and when I get the impulse, I put it in my cart and walk away. And then delete.

The reality is that there is never enough space, time or money to use everything I'd like to own. Good luck!!
Here here! Thats exactly what I have been doing lately. I go shopping picking all the stuff I cant live without then delete the cart and walk away. I am ashamed to say I have a fairly large plastic storage box chock a block full of stamps that I just had to have waiting to be inked up. I have deliberately kept it seperate from my used stamps to remind me it needs to be used. I am working my way through it. I L O V E making cards but sometimes I become more obsessed with having the latest so am learning to curb those thoughts. Thats why I love coming here, its knowing I'm not alone:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

you are not alone. the internet provides endless inspiration but also endless temptation.

buy me buy me buy me!! No no no. Not today. Maybe next month.

I actually need a few items -- I'm out of black cardstock for example. But I'll live without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I get a really great feeling when I get to the point that I'm using something up! I got out a 4-pack of ribbon last night and realized that one variety of the four selections was almost gone and I was thrilled.

For a year and a half the only thing I bought was a mixed pack of SU in color card stock, a stamp set and maybe one other thing. It was a forced spending hiatus due to a some financial changes. It was great in a way to be freed up from shopping and spending.

I'm in a better situation financially now, but still don't have the freedom to shop like I did before. I not only like stamps, but jewelry, clothes and shoes.

I try to be practical with my stamping purchases. But I have huge plans for what I'm buying out of the SU holiday catty. I look at all my stamps and wonder do I need more? I only make a few cards per month.

I guess retail therapy is real! Good luck with your spending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the last 6 months I have not been doing any stamping; and I'm sure it is because of so many other projects that are now getting finished. However, when I go into my craft room; I haven't even put away the last 4 months purchases and am overwwhelmed with
not having a good enough storage solution. I really need to work on better organization to find things. Which definitely indicates I have far too many supplies.
a top notched savings plan that has worked for us is subtracting a check or debit to the next dollar amount constantly creating a small savings with each purchase. You never miss change; BUT, it adds up.
I have stopped going to so many workshops in the last 6 months; but, withthe boredom of housework; I continue to check on blogs in my bloglovin account and still see so many temptations. At least we're not gambling the money away or using it for other bad habits.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"

Last edited by stampencamper; 08-05-2014 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I feel your pain. I think my problem is when it is on sale. Then I reason with myself, that I am saving money by getting it at the sale price, and not paying full price. This is why I have tons and tons of stuff.

And today I started to order Bic markers because my other ones are running out of ink after using them for 5 years. But then of course some of the other markers are on sale that are a good price!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Right on the nose! I loved the analogy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have so many stamps its laughable! They are my biggest 'unable to resist'. The last time I catalogued all my stamps when reorganising, I was shocked how many had only been inked to make the catalogue:rolleyes:
I have paper packs that I don't use, because I am more stamping and inking, than using dp.
I possibly have cornered the world market in mulberry paper. Every shade known to man, and I never use it anymore. Thats the problem, I think, personal style and tastes change. That and the fact the internet shopping is so easy- it doesn't feel like spending real money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Been there, done that, and am reformed.

For the past couple of years I've been going through stages of buy and purge and I'm at a place where it's no longer a concern because I no longer "binge" buy. I didn't buy hardly any designer paper last year and now I've had to buy some because I needed multiple of the same kind for a class. After my purges I now have stamps I really like and will use.

I purge on a regular basis and right now I've been on a buying spree spending money I earned from my crafting garage sale but there is no funk because I have room to store it.

At sometime, you'll get to a place where you are comfortable but it does take a bit of work and mental adjustments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I have GOT to take some lessons from this thread!!! Even though I don't have crates and crates of stuff, I have to really limit myself living with another person in a 1 bedroom 500sq ft apartment. -_- My "craft room" is really just part of one of my living room walls with some Ikea shelving and Michael's memory boxes to store everything. As I find myself needing a third shelving unit, I realize I really need to start using what I have even though, most like,y compared to you ladies I have very little! I wish I had more space. :-/
Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I am lucky as I have my own craft room with custom made storage for all my supplies (my hubby is a fantastic wood worker). However, no matter how much space or storage one has, when it is full, it is full. I purge all the time. If I really want a new stamp or stamp set, then something has to go if that section of my stamp drawers are full. Because tastes and styles change, some stamps that no longer fill my need must go. Also, I do spend time organizing (almost a hobby for me!) and if I find I have 2 stamps that are too similar and 1 could do the job, than it goes. I find it very liberating---like downsizing when we recently moved. Having only what you need helps you see what little extras might come in handy---or not. Good luck with your efforts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I blame the internet too!

[QUOTE=Joan B;20711116]you are not alone. the internet provides endless inspiration but also endless temptation."

I subscribe to a lot of blogs, read ScS faithfully, am on Pinterest, and in general love to shop. I need to pull back, but just one beautiful card will send me to a site where I order the stamp, ink, paper and bling. It's ridiculous, and I should stop, BUT it gives me pleasure and I do share my cards with grateful recipients. Maybe reading fewer blogs, but ... nah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

It’s good to know that I am not alone. I recently purchased a wire rack to keep my large dies from getting damaged,
then discovered that I had no place to put it without moving things around. Wow, have you ever done something small that had days of unintended consequences. Shelf by shelf I ended up rearranging every thing. I was shocked to discover how many supplies I had squirreled away in my little studio. Many items still in the shrink-wrap, and some were duplicates. OMG I have so much stuff it gets lost and forgotten. After my shock wore off, I made a resolution to make an inventory for everything I own and to buy nothing, not even paper, without checking the list, (no more duplicate purchases for this gal) I am also noting the new location of the supplies I am relocating or I will go crazy trying to find even every day items. I will buy nothing without waiting to consider what I would do if I were stranded on an island. I am genuinely embarrassed to admit that over the last six years I let things get so out of hand.
After three weeks of effort my studio is now clean and reorganized, it’s not going to make anyone gasp with envy, you wont see it on Pinterest, but it works for me. Now I have a problem, what do I do with all the boxes of tool, dies, and supplies I am purging? All are in great shape, some new, many are things I no longer need because I have out grown them. I cannot throw them away, and charity stores will have no idea what they are; things only a crafter would use. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I just purchased my first SU order in eight months. I had bough absolutely nothing during those months, only adhesive. And truthfully, I could of gone another eight months, only wanted new stuff for Christmas cards and tags. It is a good feeling to have saved the money, and get some of the overflow out of my room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 338 Likes on 212 Posts

A few years ago someone started a challenge to only use stuff from your stash called 100 cards in 100 days. Sine then in the summer I have tried to follow her example for 50 cards in 50 days. It's a great way to look at your supplies in a new light. (I found 100 days was too long for me but July and August is just right for 50 days.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Carole: How about putting an ad in your local paper and holding a one day sale in your home with all your goodies? Like-minded friends, old and new, will flock there. OR you could team up with a local non profit and let them sell for you and keep the proceeds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroles cardsView Post
After three weeks of effort my studio is now clean and reorganized, it�s not going to make anyone gasp with envy, you wont see it on Pinterest, but it works for me. Now I have a problem, what do I do with all the boxes of tool, dies, and supplies I am purging? All are in great shape, some new, many are things I no longer need because I have out grown them. I cannot throw them away, and charity stores will have no idea what they are; things only a crafter would use. Any suggestions?
I did a major purge a year or so ago and decided I didn't want the hassle of trying to sell stuff. We have an organization in my town that is a drop-in center for women with various classes. They were delighted to get all of my things! I know schools are generally happy to get some supplies as well and many of them have cutting machines so dies are actually useful.

I've been working on purging again as well. I needed a 4" binder for my stamp catalog. I no longer put new things away until they have been used. I've even gone through my DP packs and given away the papers I know I won't use. It does feel good but it is hard to do.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #20  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

I have too much stuff, there I said it! I did donate a lot of paper last year and it felt great! Now I stopped buying. I went to michaels twice this week and only bought what I needed for my kids. I unsubscribed from most blogs, store sites, etc. this has helped a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the suggestions, I think the local senior center may have craft classes, I will check there, and the idea to have a "craft studio" sale is also a good idea, not so much for the cash ,but to also meet more like minded people in my area.
Hugs, Carole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: in sunny Florida on the wonderful west coast. Venice FL

I'm going through the 'reorganizing thing' myself right now! Some of the schtuff was moved from Maryland to Florida with me 20 years ago -- and I still have it!!! I've wanted to purge for a long time now but have been unable to make myself do it. Maybe with help from this thread I'll finally get it done. My late husband's so true remark was always "you don't need more room, you just need less stuff!" He's still right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

What timing this is!

This past weekend I re-orged my craft space (AGAIN) this time with DH's help because I moved around shelfing and stuff. As the boxes had been piled up in a corner-it was easy not to recognize/accept how many stamps I have. Now they are out and there is no denying it. The upside is now I can easily get to them and use them.

Unfortunately the other idea was to clear stuff off my work table so I can comfortably work. Which sadly did not work out. I overestimated how much those shelves would hold so now I have no room to take stuff off my work table. (boxes of pens, pencils etc)

((Sigh))

What I normally do is I keep a wishlist on excel by company. Only if and when there is a DEEP discount...ie 40% or BETTER do I then take a look at my wishlist. Often I realize nah...I dont really want that one or that one (or it's no longer available) and by the time it's over...I either buy few or none. The trick is to not look at the new realeases since you made the list and impulse buy. lol Clearance is a big danger zone..suddenly because it's now 5 dollars instead of 25 you want something you had never even heard of before...and which might cost you even more if you need other stuff to do it-which of course is not on sale.

My best strategy to avoid spending? Just dont look period. Dump the emails. Dont go on Ebay, etc. Same thing when I am on Weight Watchers. I can walk past it in the supermarket but once it's in my house it's inside me. Therefore, I dont bring the stamps in the "house" by looking at it online. Why do that to yourself? It's kind of mean.

If I watch a technique...I can 99% of the time find a stamp I have that I can use. I dont have to use the one they are. (I keep repeating to myself over and over lol) My daisy is just as good as theirs!

I used to always say to DH it's a good thing I am not a girlie girl who wants diamonds and expensive purses and aren't I the "cheap date" wife?? LOL Well, after 20 years, it may be that stamping will be my downfall in that argument.

I TOTALLY agree with the idea that I want to spend time making cards-not fighting for 10 inches of space in my limited area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I always seem to regret it whenever I get rid of something! I always find some perfect use for it for the day after I give it away!

Another problem of mine ( besides buying way too much) is that even though I am fairly organized, I can never find what I need when I need it! Often it's just a lot quicker to walk uptown and buy another one! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Honestly I needed the watercolor pad I got today at 50% off! ;)...

And I did because I really really really need to practice and practice knowing I have more paper. I hate that feeling of working with my last piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

It�s good to know that I am not alone. I recently purchased a wire rack to keep my large dies from getting damaged,
then discovered that I had no place to put it without moving things around. Wow, have you ever done something small that had days of unintended consequences. Shelf by shelf I ended up rearranging every thing. I was shocked to discover how many supplies I had squirreled away in my little studio. Many items still in the shrink-wrap, and some were duplicates. OMG I have so much stuff it gets lost and forgotten. After my shock wore off, I made a resolution to make an inventory for everything I own and to buy nothing, not even paper, without checking the list, (no more duplicate purchases for this gal) I am also noting the new location of the supplies I am relocating or I will go crazy trying to find even every day items. I will buy nothing without waiting to consider what I would do if I were stranded on an island. I am genuinely embarrassed to admit that over the last six years I let things get so out of hand.
After three weeks of effort my studio is now clean and reorganized, it�s not going to make anyone gasp with envy, you wont see it on Pinterest, but it works for me. Now I have a problem, what do I do with all the boxes of tool, dies, and supplies I am purging? All are in great shape, some new, many are things I no longer need because I have out grown them. I cannot throw them away, and charity stores will have no idea what they are; things only a crafter would use. Any suggestions?
A Swap n Buy might be your best bet. I think there is one here on SCS. Kijiji is good, too as well as a local Buy n Sell group. You could make up 'grab' bags or sell your things in 'lots'. Just a few ideas - hope they help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

It�s good to know that I am not alone. I recently purchased a wire rack to keep my large dies from getting damaged,
Do you know some newbies, or belong to a group of stampers that has members that may not have much? You could put your purges up for grabs and make some others really happy while giving yourself a big lift, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

The story of my life! Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

This is a timely topic!! Some people love reorganizing - it is half the fun of crafting. Personally, I wish I was organized once and for all. I purged 2 1/2 HUGE rubbermaid containers of dsp and gave to a friend who is just beginning this crafting journey. I still have too much. I am a sucker for $5.00 paper pads - really? Who needs 50 12x12 paper pads? And I use very little pattern paper in a scrapbook. I probably could get rid of that much more. Slowly, but surely. I also agree with the lady who said to stop looking - no more ebay, unsubscribe to craft store sites (but $19.99 cartridges?!??!), etc. That is the only way I will have any sort of success - out of sight, out of mind. And I am going to do the 50 cards in 50 days - what a great idea!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I volunteer at a local community organization that helps lower income families with food banks, clothing, computer training, rent assistance, job search help, etc. One of the things they do are art classes (kind of like art therapy) for the families that they serve. I co-teach one of these classes, and we rely on donated art/craft supplies. So it is possible there is a similar organization in your community that would love to get your excess 'stuff'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I have never regretted anything I got rid of. A few years ago I intended to sell my house and downsize. I spent six months selling, donating, and trashing years of stuff that had accumlulated in every room of the house. I was an avid sewer at that time and gave away 4 large plastic containers of fabric (I kept 3 and am getting ready to donate that too).

You know what? I fell back in love with my house. It felt clean! I actually had empty cabinets in my kitchen! There was room for all my clothes and shoes. It was liberating to not have to maintain a bunch of stuff I was probably not going to use and could be replaced if absolutely necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I have never regretted anything I got rid of. A few years ago I intended to sell my house and downsize. I spent six months selling, donating, and trashing years of stuff that had accumlulated in every room of the house. I was an avid sewer at that time and gave away 4 large plastic containers of fabric (I kept 3 and am getting ready to donate that too).

You know what? I fell back in love with my house. It felt clean! I actually had empty cabinets in my kitchen! There was room for all my clothes and shoes. It was liberating to not have to maintain a bunch of stuff I was probably not going to use and could be replaced if absolutely necessary.
Ditto! We recently moved into a much smaller house after 43 years of lots of storage space. I love my little house, which I thought would be packed to the gills, but is open and has ample storage for what I kept. It is the most liberating feeling and I don't regret anything I gave away or sold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

this thread reminds me of something I posted on my blog a while ago. Here is a copy of it.... it's kind of long so feel free to skim!

My husband hates clutter. He saves nothing (except my cards). He buys nothing. He eyes my trail of crap like a tiger after a bunny. He is too busy running and eating non fat plain yogurt to shop online. If I wasn't so lazy I would have divorced him years ago.

His penchant for throwing out things butted up against my Mom's anxiety about holding on to her stuff all the time. The coup de grace was when my Mom left her "bridge" (that's a piece of false teeth) walled up in a kleenex on the kitchen counter. And, yes he tossed it in the trash. Score one for the son-in-law who owned that kitchen counter. Score one for my mom, who found it and then spent years not so gently hinting that he was responsible for tossing everything she could not find. (Yes, Mom we did toss the 7 BAGS of YARN and fabric scraps that were in the basement for 17 years. We lied about that. In fact, we lied about a lot of stuff. If you have the power in heaven to get back at us, go for it.)

But enough about that.

Ten Steps to Get Rid of Stuff:

1. Develop the desire to get rid of the stamps, the whatever. This is the hard part. You want to get to the point where you feel like the tiger eyeing the bunny....

2. Let go of the concept that "it is a waste of money to get rid of stuff." It is a waste of money, time, space, and karma to keep stuff you don't want. Period.

3. Decide if you want to make money off the stuff. If you want to sell stamps, it is work, so factor that in. There's ebay, your blog, Splitcoast or other forum, or yard sale. You can also pair up with another stamper and trade. "I'll take one Valentine's clear set, a birthday background and give you my vintage Owl and Cupcake sets." Then do it. If you sell to strangers over the internet, get the money up front through paypal, be honest about the condition, don't be greedy, mail it right away, and hope you aren't dealing with a nut case. If it gets lost in the mail, who bears the risk? I DO NOT KNOW. You are supposed to negotiate that at the beginning. The post office actually does an amazing job so I'd just hope for the best.

4. Or, if you are willing to donate the stuff, do it. Look around. There are stampers out of work, suffering through cancer, or just plain nice. Give the stuff to them. That's what I did. But first I sold a block of stuff (several bins) to one stamper who lived nearby. She picked up the stuff and gave me $200. Win win. I then gave away about 7 large plastic tubs of stuff (I'm crying as I type) to a wonderful stamper who also came by and picked up the stuff. Turns out she then gave away a ton of it to a bunch of other stampers (there was a LOT of stuff) and all those folks got together and gave me several hundred dollars worth of gift certificates to stores near our new house. It was a wonderful moment of connectedness.

5. Or you can find a nursing home, day care center, women's shelter, etc who might like the stuff. Google.

6. Throw out the crap. It isn't worth the time or money to give away little pieces of paper, the 3 orange brads you found at the bottom of a box, or the pound of ribbons and twine, each of which is no longer than 3 inches. Re read #2 and LET IT GO.

7. If you made cards and never sent them (shocker), take a hard look at them. I deconstructed about 200 cards that I hated, salvaged the embellishments and the card stock and tossed the rest. I had fun making them. It's a hobby. Good bye.

8. Look at the empty space you've created. The space in your house and your brain. Freedom! Resist the urge (and it will be there) to fill up the space with MORE crap. Take your time. Rearrange the space. Feel superior to hoarders. Enjoy and be proud.

9. Don't look back. Sure, I gave away some stuff that I regretted giving away. But I didn't have to pay to store it or move it (twice). And that was then. Regret over this stuff is a sin.

10. Don't gloat. The desire for more stuff will slowly creep back and you may find yourself needing to start over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

this thread reminds me of something I posted on my blog a while ago. Here is a copy of it.... it's kind of long so feel free to skim!
Read every word. LOVED every word. Now... to actually DO this, well... maybe tomorrow. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #35  
Glitter Queen

I don't have a huge stash - my working and storage space are kinda small - but I've been trying to focus on the mantra "Use Your Stash!" I'm not always successful - but I'm trying to be! I think my biggest problem is organization - I just don't see everything clearly. But like the OP said, I'd rather be creating than cleaning! Perhaps a trip the the Organization forum is in order...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #36  
First To Quack

Joan, that was right on target. I am thinking about following you. I just can not seem to throw anything out. I did toss tons before we moved 2 years ago but you would never believe it by what all I kept.

This is a great thread!

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Default reached the limit

I am extremely organized and know exactly what I have and where my supplies are located. However, I fall into the category of unable to resist good deals. I also enjoy looking on ebay. I agree that the only way to resist buying is to simply not look. I just purchased another three-drawer plastic storage unit and it is now filled (as I was stashing sets in the closet temporarily). The last few days I have been telling myself I've got to stop - I am out of control. I mean, how many stamp sets do I need? The answer is a lot less than I currently have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

...My husband hates clutter. He saves nothing (except my cards). He buys nothing. He eyes my trail of crap like a tiger after a bunny. He is too busy running and eating non fat plain yogurt to shop online. If I wasn't so lazy I would have divorced him years ago.
Almost fell off of my chair laughing. Wonder I didn't sprain something!
But you did give good advice.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post

That might work for me IF my conscious mind could convince my subconscious mind that I really meant it. My subconscious mind knows darned well that I don't ever plan to move again.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Joan-what a hysterical and great post!! Loved it! It can never be too long for me when it is that well written! You have a gift.

Maybe the answer is to have a crafting friend come over and do it for you. I can be so mercenary with other people's stuff. lol I did do this with fabric and craft books and it worked well. LOL...some of the fabric my sewing pal picked up like it was some horrible filthy rag but was too polite to say to me WTH were you thinking??

Crafty people drown in good intentions. We are sure we can find a use for something and we often find a good cause to donate what we make to. Unfortunately we often cant keep up with those intentions!

Those hoarding shows scare the pants off me. I cant watch more than 5 mins before I am up and circling the house pulling stuff to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Likes