Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That awkward moment when...

That awkward moment when I design a graduation announcement (tinted a photo), embossed, printed. Handmake background paper and Thank you, hand address all of them with calligraphy in a purple ink and stamp a graduation cap on front and back etc and the only "comment" is "did you use a different pen to write the address" :lol:

So what's your stamping/handmade awkward moment?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, for TWO years in a row, I sent birthday cards to two sisters. The second year, the mom gently and good-naturedly told me that I had the girls' birthday dates reversed!! Yikes!! I have since then sent the cards on their correct birthdays!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

When I spell their name wrong!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine. Sent out parcels at Christmas and put both sisters cards in one parcel by mistake. The sister who got both cards opened them both up (knowing the other one was for the other sister). The other sister got a bigger gift card . :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh yes that would definitely be embarrassing.

I guess after I had spent days creating a background paper, and printing, embossing stamping and the only comment was about how the envelope was addressed I was just a bit taken aback that that was what was noticed. C'est la vie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I think that this falls into the category of "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand..."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Be careful of glue dots....!

Back a few years ago, everyone seemed to be using glue dots so I got on the bandwagon and bought a pack that I picked up at the supermarket. I made about 10 of the same Christmas card which was a case of THIS awesome card by Heather Freeman.

I had cut the pieces of cardstock and attached them onto the card base with the glue dots and thought my cards looked great I went over to my nephew's home for Christmas lunch and they opened their card and popped it on their window sill just near where we were eating. They were very appreciative of my card and I just glowed.

Whilst we were eating lunch, all the elements started slipping and by the end of our 2 hour eating marathon, half of them had fallen off. Santa's face looked like he had been punched! The glue dots were NOT strong enough - oops :oops::oops: After lunch, I grabbed the card and tried to re-stick the elements which wasn't very successful as the bits just kept slipping down. It was summer (being in Australia) so the hot weather didn't help.

I wondered how many of my other cards that I had mailed ended up the same way - or maybe the bits fell off in the envelope and the recipients thought it was some sort of WEIRD jigsaw puzzle card! I can kind-of laugh now and put it down to experience with using the right glue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #8  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

OUCH. That is very much like graphic design. Do a full page original design with complex images that took two weeks and the first comment (about the two tiny words on the design) is "I really hate that font."

I love the sound of the invitation - wow - tinted photo? Handmade DSP? sounds awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know if it was "awesome" and maybe because I went so traditional she didn't know I actually did it. The funny thing is that the announcement were so delayed that yes, we just tucked the Thank you in with it because it was international postage etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Does this count? I got off on the wrong foot with my MIL (still am actually) so I tried to kiss up and made her a fancy Christmas card with a lot of embellishments that took A LOT of time and effort. She was offended that I "cheaped out" and gave her "homemade junk" instead of spending money on a store bought card. She did go on and on about the card her adult daughter made for her. ....cue awkward silence...

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Mini Nov 7, Main Dec 12 & 13.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdelleView Post
Does this count? I got off on the wrong foot with my MIL (still am actually) so I tried to kiss up and made her a fancy Christmas card with a lot of embellishments that took A LOT of time and effort. She was offended that I "cheaped out" and gave her "homemade junk" instead of spending money on a store bought card. She did go on and on about the card her adult daughter made for her. ....cue awkward silence...
Ouch. What a pity she didn't realise that even in terms of time, let alone materials you used, that you were really giving something valuable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

On a couple of occasions I have been really pleased with my card, put it in the envelope and posted it or left it on their desk. Only to realise later that I hadn't signed the card. I had to write to my elderly aunt to explain that the aqua coloured card with the angel was from me. Though I did actually see this same card up in her house 3 years later after she died, so she must have liked it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Lovingly and diligently work on my cards. Address & stamp the envelopes. Decorate the envelopes. Put the card in the envelope carefully. Seal the envelope. Realize the envelope is upside down. All the cards I have sent over the years I think I have only done a dozen with the envelop in the correct position.

One time I sent a research report to my boss. Sent a card to a friend who was having a hard time. Boss opens up my note and reads "I love you, thinking of you and your cute." Friend got my research report.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
......One time I sent a research report to my boss. Sent a card to a friend who was having a hard time. Boss opens up my note and reads "I love you, thinking of you and your cute." Friend got my research report.
:oops: I think the more you tried to explain to your boss about your mistake, the deeper your hole would be! I do remember accidentally calling out to my boss: "Darling....." which is how I address my husband! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 03:00 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually get the card all finished decide to to one last touch to add just a little something and ruin the card. I also go to sign the card and mess us my name and have to redo...
But the Akward time is when I'm so excited to give my WONDERFUL card to the person I made it for and don't get much of a reaction. I feel so silly for getting so excited.
In my heart I really want the recepient to GUSH. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

That stinks that she would act that way. But the next year or any year after that, I would just go the the dollar tree and buy 2 for $1.00:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
That stinks that she would act that way. But the next year or any year after that, I would just go the the dollar tree and buy 2 for $1.00:p
I have discussed "a year of generic cards", literally every event for the year listed with check boxes and printed on the printer and just tick it off and send, with my husband for his family. I have issues getting inspired for a card and getting it in the post/mail in time. Which means his mum "moans" at him on the phone about "not having a card on the day". This week she got her card but his brother didn't get his, sent on the same day but apparently we have control over the delivery. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

That would really tick me off. From that point on I'd buy her the 2 for $1 ones at the dollar store. And I'd probably pick up about 10 of the same one and keep sending it. And if she ever asked, I'd tell her I picked them up all at once at the dollar store in the 2 for $1 bin because I didn't have the time, energy, or money to waste (like on the very nice card I made) for her. I can get kind of spiteful like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it when I give a card and they say..."Oh, I want 20 just like that one!" I do this for fun and the creativeness (is that a word) of it all. Yes I could make money at it. A little, but I want to have fun not just churn out the same one over and over again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Lovingly and diligently work on my cards. Address & stamp the envelopes. Decorate the envelopes. Put the card in the envelope carefully. Seal the envelope. Realize the envelope is upside down. All the cards I have sent over the years I think I have only done a dozen with the envelop in the correct position.

One time I sent a research report to my boss. Sent a card to a friend who was having a hard time. Boss opens up my note and reads "I love you, thinking of you and your cute." Friend got my research report.
I do upside-down envelopes too . But only addressed, I have to admit I rarely decorate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=cat_woman;20703463]That would really tick me off. From that point on I'd buy her the 2 for $1 ones at the dollar store. And I'd probably pick up about 10 of the same one and keep sending it. And if she ever asked, I'd tell her I picked them up all at once at the dollar store in the 2 for $1 bin because I didn't have the time, energy, or money to waste (like on the very nice card I made) for her. I can get kind of spiteful like that. [/QUOTE

I would be tempted to do something like the above but would try not to react. I would definitely take her response as a cue that nothing I did to please her would work. So I would go my own way emotionally and not try hard to please her in any way --cards or otherwise.

My own awkward moments were when a couple of close family members saved every card I sent them, and lovingly showed me early ones, which were terrible. They looked like they were made by five year-olds. I was SO embarrassed I wanted to grab them and tear them up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
That would really tick me off. From that point on I'd buy her the 2 for $1 ones at the dollar store. And I'd probably pick up about 10 of the same one and keep sending it. And if she ever asked, I'd tell her I picked them up all at once at the dollar store in the 2 for $1 bin because I didn't have the time, energy, or money to waste (like on the very nice card I made) for her. I can get kind of spiteful like that.
Every year now I give them 2 cards. My father in law get his own handmade card and she gets a dollar store card. I address them separately. He always says thank you with a nice compliment. I never thought of sending the same one every year. Hmmmmm.... And I've given up trying to please her at all, I don't think it can be done.

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Mini Nov 7, Main Dec 12 & 13.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
:oops: I think the more you tried to explain to your boss about your mistake, the deeper your hole would be! I do remember accidentally calling out to my boss: "Darling....." which is how I address my husband! :oops:
I had the best boss in the world. He's retired now. He thought it was so funny. After that incident he would point to me and tell everyone "She thinks I am cute!"

When my boss retired and I got the new one he was a stickler for spelling. This was back when AOL was King and we had Word checking all our spelling. I actually think Word is now in all the smart phones checking spelling. .

One time he gave me back my report with my spelling errors. It was only three. I was so mad. A week later he gave me some papers to review. I highlighted all his spelling errors. It was more than three. I gave him back his papers. He was so stunned, lol. He told my old boss about it. My old boss said "She doesn't think your cute!" ROFL!

No, I didn't get fired for it. He liked that I stood up to him. I don't work for him any more since 9-11. I occasionally do some freelance work. I will still spell things wrong on purpose so he can have some private time with his highlighter.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

love this thread.... so many awkward moments.

one of my faves is when I made a set of cards and donated to an office silent auction to raise money for charity.

NO ONE bid until I overheard my lovely boss tell a coworker "we better bid on Joan's cards or her feelings will be hurt."

I choose to remember the kindness!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, Joan, I feel for you! That's probably why I don't put anything on Etsy or do craft fairs and such-like - if I don't put it "out there", I don't have to worry about negativity. This is something I do just to get the creative itch scratched. If it makes anyone else happy, too, then hooray for both of us, but I don't want to turn it into something stressful, for sure... Smart girl, by the way, to choose to remember the kindness - definitely the best part!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one who has had moments think these!!! Que the crickets!! . And let's not even discuss the MIL, who gets NO cards, dollar store or not.

Happy Stamping!,

Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a friend who asked me to make her Christmas cards. She had 3 small boys who loved to play outside, and I had an adorable stamp from Stampin Up with 3 boys on a sled. I used a boatload of liquid appliqu� on each card to create the snow. I made them way in advance of Christmas, wanting each one to be perfect! I think I made about 50 or so.

Post Christmas, her family and friends asked her what all the crumbly stuff was in the envelope of her holiday cards? Yes, I think I may have had old liquid appliqu�. Also, didn't know it would crumble to a million pieces in the mail. 😳😳

Yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I was ready to cut your MIL some slack if she's not a crafter. Most non-crafters don't have a clue about the amount of time and money spent of those "cheap" handmade cards. But when you said that she raved about a handmade card from her daughter, the "slack meter" reset to zero!

I hope you know that this woman cannot be pleased and don't beat up yourself about it.

Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
I was ready to cut your MIL some slack if she's not a crafter. Most non-crafters don't have a clue about the amount of time and money spent of those "cheap" handmade cards. But when you said that she raved about a handmade card from her daughter, the "slack meter" reset to zero!

I hope you know that this woman cannot be pleased and don't beat up yourself about it.

Dea
1000000+! I agree don't beat yourself up. MIL went on my zero reset meter too. I have one of those criticizer's in my life too. Mine was a big crafting star in her day and I have to live with her. Everything I do she criticizes. The last time I saw her I told her I was scaling down my art studio. It was just trivial conversation. She looked like she was going to do a happy dance about it. She said "Oh, your getting out of crafting?" "You have decided to stop competing with me?"

First I don't compete. I am about as competitive as a paper clip. Second my style is completely different than hers. I calmly said to her "I am so sorry you have hated my guts since I was five years old. I don't know what I did to you." "I am truly sorry. I won't be coming over any more." Walked out the door while she was bawling "I love you! Don't leave!"

Life is too short to deal with haters. That's why we have Dollar Tree cards. We can keep our values without going to their level.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 03:32 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

DeeAnn - how insecure and unhappy she must be! Still painful for you, though - kudos to you for stepping out of the situation...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 03:40 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

1000000+! I agree don't beat yourself up. MIL went on my zero reset meter too. I have one of those criticizer's in my life too. Mine was a big crafting star in her day and I have to live with her. Everything I do she criticizes. The last time I saw her I told her I was scaling down my art studio. It was just trivial conversation. She looked like she was going to do a happy dance about it. She said "Oh, your getting out of crafting?" "You have decided to stop competing with me?"

First I don't compete. I am about as competitive as a paper clip. Second my style is completely different than hers. I calmly said to her "I am so sorry you have hated my guts since I was five years old. I don't know what I did to you." "I am truly sorry. I won't be coming over any more." Walked out the door while she was bawling "I love you! Don't leave!"

Life is too short to deal with haters. That's why we have Dollar Tree cards. We can keep our values without going to their level.

I thought you were talking about my Dad's wife. She is this same person. And yes, I pick out the best Dollar Tree card for her, too! No need wasting my valuable craft time on folks who are bitter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I had a friend who asked me to make her Christmas cards. She had 3 small boys who loved to play outside, and I had an adorable stamp from Stampin Up with 3 boys on a sled. I used a boatload of liquid appliqu� on each card to create the snow. I made them way in advance of Christmas, wanting each one to be perfect! I think I made about 50 or so.

Post Christmas, her family and friends asked her what all the crumbly stuff was in the envelope of her holiday cards? Yes, I think I may have had old liquid appliqu�. Also, didn't know it would crumble to a million pieces in the mail. ����

Yikes!
Oh dear! I feel for you :oops: I have had liquid applique crumble too so I stopped using it for anything that I posted. Even cards that I have made months before have suffered the same fate so I am not sure what I was doing wrong :confused:

Although I never expect praise or even a thank you when I give someone a card that I have made especially for them (I just love to create and are like gregzgurl in that I have like to have my creative itch scratched), I do have a relative from my DH's family who kept being so negative about my cards and craft in general. Even though they received my handmade card by mail and I wasn't there when it was opened, when they next saw me, they would always say to me: "My card was.....insert time delay here and a shrug of the shoulders and a hmmm....quite nice" and then the conversation over the next hour would include silly people wasting money on buying stamps or negativity about scrapbooking :shock: - and it was every time in some shape or form!

I honestly don't care what anyone does with my cards once they leave my house: throw them out, throw them at the TV, use them to light a fire or make confetti out of them - but the whole negativity/criticism coming from a close relative just got to me because it was in front of all the family at family gatherings and I just curled up into a ball because I am so painfully shy and feel awkward in a large group. So I just took my handmade cards away as well as myself out of the situation - and I have never felt happier And I am so lucky because the people who really count in my life are incredibly supportive of my craft and that's what I focus on now. I am not bitter - I just moved on and I am proud of shy little me for having the courage. They get a bought card and I am happy to send it. And I think it's sad that they have such a critical spirit which alienates people :(

Last edited by JoBear2; 07-31-2014 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I know it's petty but I cringe when people tell me my cards are "cute." I don't do "cute" cards.

My most embarassing moment was sending the same card to one person two years in a row. Whoops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love that everyone is willing to share their awkward moments - and really feel for the OP. Maybe your card was so well done that it never occurred to her that it was handmade.

My family and close friends expect me to use stamps I've illustrated. Anything I show my husband, he says, "Is that yours?" But I did recently make a thank you for my hairdresser because she always does such nice work and I appreciate her talent. I used a Waltzingmouse Stamps set - one of the art deco sets, and it reminded me of her. Plus I just love everything WMS. When I saw her next, she told me how much she liked the card and said "Oh, I told everyone you drew that!" :shock: Uh-oh! I said, umm, nope... that was from another stamp artist and business owner whom I greatly admire. The next time, I'll use one of Claire's copyright stamps! Psst... Claire Brennan... if you're reading this: That was a HUGE compliment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Oh dear! I feel for you :oops: I have had liquid applique crumble too so I stopped using it for anything that I posted. Even cards that I have made months before have suffered the same fate so I am not sure what I was doing wrong :confused:

Although I never expect praise or even a thank you when I give someone a card that I have made especially for them (I just love to create and are like gregzgurl in that I have like to have my creative itch scratched), I do have a relative from my DH's family who kept being so negative about my cards and craft in general. Even though they received my handmade card by mail and I wasn't there when it was opened, when they next saw me, they would always say to me: "My card was.....insert time delay here and a shrug of the shoulders and a hmmm....quite nice" and then the conversation over the next hour would include silly people wasting money on buying stamps or negativity about scrapbooking :shock: - and it was every time in some shape or form!

I honestly don't care what anyone does with my cards once they leave my house: throw them out, throw them at the TV, use them to light a fire or make confetti out of them - but the whole negativity/criticism coming from a close relative just got to me because it was in front of all the family at family gatherings and I just curled up into a ball because I am so painfully shy and feel awkward in a large group. So I just took my handmade cards away as well as myself out of the situation - and I have never felt happier And I am so lucky because the people who really count in my life are incredibly supportive of my craft and that's what I focus on now. I am not bitter - I just moved on and I am proud of shy little me for having the courage. They get a bought card and I am happy to send it. And I think it's sad that they have such a critical spirit which alienates people :(
Hugs to you. Your post made me shake. I loved hearing your story. That was so inspirational.

That's what I go through too from my family member. I am painfully shy also. I think us introverts just take it so much harder over the extroverts who have the guts to say shut up. I was so proud of myself having the courage too for standing up for myself. I grew up you respect your elders. Now, that I am older I am sorry to say some elder's don't deserve respect. I know for me when I get in my twilight years that I want to be respected because I earned it not because I am elderly. The criticizer's always attack us shy ones because they will get away with it knowing we will keep quiet not to attract attention to ourselves.

I have been through a lot in my life. I have seen a lot of tragedies. I know it makes me quirky. I always try to put myself in others shoes thinking the way they act might be due to their own personal history. I always tried to show empathy. A friend told me one time "You stayed sweet. They became hateful. They don't deserve empathy. Their victims do." That really changed my life and how I created.

I know I feel a lot more free when I walked out. It was the first time in my life I felt truly at peace. It was such a long hard road. I have a supportive loving group of friends, hubby and animals. I want to spoil them with pretty things.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

It took years to get to that point of "no more". And since I walked away from this relative, they are so desperate for contact with me which only reinforces my decision - and in alot of ways, I have to be even stronger now. I am so much happier now and find more joy in my crafting than ever before: permanently removing those "awkward moments" was a very healthy decision. I no longer feel sick in the stomach and all shaky when I knew a family get-together was coming up. Stay strong DeeAnn - your courage inspires me

Last edited by JoBear2; 08-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Oh yes that would definitely be embarrassing.

I guess after I had spent days creating a background paper, and printing, embossing stamping and the only comment was about how the envelope was addressed I was just a bit taken aback that that was what was noticed. C'est la vie!
Something about casting pearls before the swine is apt here ;)

Some people are just (a) a bit ignorant and (b) rather rude!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
OUCH. That is very much like graphic design. Do a full page original design with complex images that took two weeks and the first comment (about the two tiny words on the design) is "I really hate that font."
Lydia, there was a guy whose blog I used to read who was a freelance photographer and he came up with the "hairy arm theory". This was based on the fact that, no matter how fantastic the product you produce for the client's approval, they will always find something to complain about because they need to feel they're contributing to the process (ie that they were part of the successful result) and that they have the judgement/taste necessary to comment on it.

So he posited that you should always include one obvious flaw in your work, just so they could focus on that, insist you change it (which you would have done anyway) in order for them to get that ego boost. He said in a set of shots he would always include one that (e.g.) had someone's hairy forearm in the foreground for the client to fixate on ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

It took years to get to that point of "no more". And since I walked away from this relative, they are so desperate for contact with me which only reinforces my decision - and in alot of ways, I have to be even stronger now. I am so much happier now and find more joy in my crafting than ever before: permanently removing those "awkward moments" was a very healthy decision. I no longer feel sick in the stomach and all shaky when I knew a family get-together was coming up. Stay strong DeeAnn - your courage inspires me
You and DeeAnn are both inspiring for situations well beyond that of cardmaking/crafting. I'm coming to the realization that recently I have been giving far too much thought to other people's opinions than I ever have in my life - and facing certain situations, it can just overshadow otherwise fun times. Life is too short! Letting go of negative situations is a treasure. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just had a facepalm moment - DH on the phone to his brother - "We forgot your anniversary" Ugh - no. "we" didn't. "We" had a sick dog. But they still got a pretty card even if I do say so myself, I certainly wouldn't be upset to receive it. :lol: Wonder if they thought the envelope writing was pretty. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes