Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart Attaching intricate dies to cardstock for pop up effect

Hi - I'm a newbie, not only to To this online community but to forums per se. So I hope I'm doing this right!
I have some lovely intricate dies such as tendrils with tiny leaves and flowers. Is there a way I can attach such a die cut to my card so that it "pops" out? I've tried rolled glue dots with no luck - even they are too bulky. And you wouldn't the mess I get into when I try iddy biddy bits of mounting tape ...
There may not be an answer but I thought I would ask the question.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Hello, welcome to Splitcoast and the wonderful world of forums!

I'd try something like a silicone glue applied with a cocktail stick or (my personal go-to for this kind of thing) Pinflair Glue Gel. The Pinflair is silicone-free if that sort of thing concerns you and with a kit you get a syringe for applying it so you can just squeeze a tiny amount directly where you want it. Then just place your die cut where you want it, resist the urge to press it into place (stuff will just squidge out of the side if you do!) and leave it alone for a while to set up.

I'm in the UK and I'm kind of assuming that Pinflair Glue Gel is available in the US - maybe somebody can wade in and confirm/deny?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Many thanks, Angelnorth, for your advice. I'm off to Bunnings (your B&Q) this weekend to check out the silicone glues. However will google Pinflair to see if I can get it here (Australia). Good advice about not pressing too hard.
Ann x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ah, you're an Aussie - should have guessed from the time you were posting!

If the stuff appeals to you, you could try asking Pinflair whether there are Austrailian stockists. You can find their contact page here. There might also be the option of somewhere like Joanna Sheen where shipping (even international) is free if you spend at least �9. The Pinflair glue gel is here on her site. You'd need to be tempted by something else as well as the Pinflair will cost you around �6 ;)

Silicone glues should work fine but they do tend to smell pretty strongly - definitely "use in a well ventilated area"! I'd look for a clear one rather than white if it's available (it will "blend in" better on a whole variety of colours, white will tend to show if you look from the side of a project). I used to use silicone glue before I discovered Pinflair and found it difficult to keep them from going hard in the tube as I didn't use them that regularly. The Pinflair is great as long as you follow the instructions (squeeze a little "dome" out of the end of the tube before recapping to form a plug that will just pull off easily on next use and forms a good airtight seal so the rest stays fresh and ready to use). It has no odour at all and dries crystal clear. I have no affiliation with them, just happy with the product!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I am so glad this question was posted as I have been wondering the same thing. It's hard enough trying to stick an intricate diecut down without glue splurting out underneath let alone popping it up. I have a Bunnings 2 minutes from where I live so I will check it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Joanne
I did some research about Pinflair Gel Glue. There seems to be some reviews which say it pongs, long after it's been applied to the card. It can also turn yellow (apparently). An alternative that was mentioned was Collal gel glue - which sounds virtually the same - with the same drawbacks. Pinflair seemed to be more readily available to buy online than Collall, so I bit the bullet and bought from eBay. I will still drop into Bunnings this weekend, just to see what they have. My understanding is that you need to stay away from silicone glues.
Here's hoping the answer is just a postal journey away!
Cheers
Ann
ps - Aussie? Well, yes and no. Born in Manchester, but live here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

That's interesting Ann, I haven't experienced either of those issues with Pinflair (smell or yellowing). I wonder whether it reacts to certain papers or something? I'll keep an eye on it!

Silicone glues are sold here in the UK as "decoupage glues" so I'm not sure what you've seen that says you should avoid them. There may be a difference between craft ones and DIY ones, I guess?

I lived in Manchester for a few years It's very different now though (although not as different as Austrailia, I'm sure!)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I'll let you know how I go on when I get my glue. Took a peep at your cards Joanne. Just gorgeous.
I notice Jocelyn has joined this thread - and lives near a Bunnings. If you find something, Jocelyn, please let me know. Whereabouts in Victoria are you?
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts

Aloha , Have you tried cutting Multi of your design on cardstock? then glue them all together till you get the height you want to pop it at?.. I'm new too not sure if this is what kind of pop up you want.. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 03:08 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Aww, thanks for your kind comments Ann.

Hawaiian's suggestion is a good one - you get a sort of "faux chipboard" embellishment when you do that. The glue solution lets you have different levels for the same object (so, for example, you can stick the bottom of a flourish directly to the card base and raise the top up so you have a "slope" on it), the "faux chipboard" is a more overall thickness which can be really useful sometimes.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 03:51 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mahalo Joanne for your kind words... It's a technique I just learned doing the last 2 cards in my gallery .and I hope It can be of use to anyone wanting other way of pop up. again dear mahalo for your kind words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Hi All - I will be trying this technique this week - I've already multi die cut and will see if this works. It's too late to try now - it's late and I'm to bed!
Thanks all for your help and advice.
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Aloha Ann, I think this technique Will be good also to reinforce the delicateness of the focal pieces. good luck and have a nice night.. lol its 230 am here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 04:41 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by flippydipView Post
I'll let you know how I go on when I get my glue. Took a peep at your cards Joanne. Just gorgeous.
I notice Jocelyn has joined this thread - and lives near a Bunnings. If you find something, Jocelyn, please let me know. Whereabouts in Victoria are you?
Ann
Hi Ann, I am in the north eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I am planning to go to Bunnings on the weekend so I'll let you know what I find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreeing with Joanne here, I'm using Pinflair glue gel, and have never had any problems with it smelling, or going yellow. In fact, I've just been and had a sniff of the tube, and I can't smell anything. Definitely nothing like the strong, vinegary smell you get from most silicone glues. I tend to 'decant' a little into a small syringe for use on small items, or use the cocktail stick method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Another (UK) vote here for Pinflair glue gel. It does not smell and I have never noticed it go yellow. Silicone on the other hand smells awful and seeps through you card after a time, leaving a greasy looking mark which completely destroys all your hard work, probably after you have posted the card so you may never know, only the recipient. I did a sample test with silicone and Pinflair to confirm this in my own mind sometime ago and would now never touch silicone (even though it is cheaper!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi

Is there a vid for this, or can you tell me do you put the gel in selected spots like you would pop up tape or all over to protect the delicate cuts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I tend to just put spots and make sure there's no significant area that doesn't have any so that it's not liable to get squished down in that area.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Thanks Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
I am so glad this question was posted as I have been wondering the same thing. It's hard enough trying to stick an intricate diecut down without glue splurting out underneath let alone popping it up. I have a Bunnings 2 minutes from where I live so I will check it too.
I checked out Bunnings but there was nothing that was really suitable as any silicone glue that I found had a giant nozzle which wouldn't be practical/messy/I would be wearing most of it!

I went over to Bellbird Paperarts in Blackburn and the Cathy (the store owner) recommended something called LetraTac which is a dry adhesive so there is no mess or odour (according to the pack). Reading from the sheet: you lift the overlay sheet and place your item face up on the adhesive - which looks like a mass of teeny tiny little dots - and then replace the overlay sheet, then rub over with the special yellow burnisher included in the pack (or you can use an old credit card or heavy duty plastic). Then you lift away your item which is now coated in the adhesive and ready to apply to your cardstock. You can re-position as needed as it is re-positionable until you finally rub down firmly for a permanent bond. I bought some to try out - and looking at the worldwideweb, the product appears to be available in many places and is made by LetraSet.

I will try using it as soon as I get a myriad of hospital appointments out of the way that I am taking a family member to. I like the idea of using something non-smelly as I am an asthmatic - and I also like the idea of using something NOT wet as I am the messiest and clumsiest person on the planet (don't ask me about how I super-glued my finger to the kitchen bench! LOL!). Will post here when I have tried the LetraTac and give you my thoughts. I wonder how strong if would be with something thicker like chipboard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Unless I'm thinking of something different LetraTac will not give a "lift" to what you're sticking, Jocelyn - it's like a film of adhesive. It should be great for no smell/no mess though and will be applied evenly all over an intricate shape so you'll get a good adhesion all the way out to the edges of even the most complicated shapes.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Oh yes, you are right - I am silly and not thinking straight. Just had a whole day at hospital with appointments with my family member and posted this after I got home and I was stressed out. Of course it won't give me a pop-up effect :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Pinflair glue gel is NOT smelly - it is totally different to silicone from a hardware store which you should not be using for Cardmaking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Oh yes, you are right - I am silly and not thinking straight. Just had a whole day at hospital with appointments with my family member and posted this after I got home and I was stressed out.
Hope everything went OK with the appointments Jocelyn and today is less stressful.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Yes, all is OK and I am not as stressed today (thanks for asking Joanne ) - and I am thinking a bit more clearly. I was just looking on Kittie's blog KittieKraft as I remembered that Kittie does scenes with lots of intricate diecuts - and Kittie seems to use a variety of mediums: Glossy Accents and Scotch double-sided foam mounting tape and rolled glue dots. I would love to watch a video of how Kittie makes her amazing cards and what glues/adhesives to use and where. I have had not-so-good experiences with glue dots because my elements slip down. I might just try and get the Pinflair glue and see how it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good to hear things are OK, Jocelyn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathBelleView Post
Pinflair glue gel is NOT smelly - it is totally different to silicone from a hardware store which you should not be using for Cardmaking.
I agree, Pinflair glue is very different - it's silicone-free. But do you know the difference Ruth between the silicone glues you get in hardware stores and those sold for decoupage and other crafts (which are sold as "silicone glue" and smell much the same - horribly vinegary!). Those clearly are intended for papercrafts use. I've used them but gave up as I never managed to keep them from going solid in the tube once it was open.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes