Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repositioning wood mount stamps

Hi! I have seen plenty of tutorials for converting wood mount stamps to clear mount, but I have a different question. I have the Vivid Vases stamp from SU, which has the sentiment and the image together on one piece of rubber/foam. It's wood mounted, and I want to keep it that way. But I am wondering if there is a way to unmount it temporarily, cut the sentiment off, and then remount them separately again on wood blocks. I love the wood mount stamps; I just wish I had cut the sentiment off before I mounted this particular one. I know I can microwave the stamp for a few seconds to loosen it from the block, but I'm worried that once I do that I won't be able to successfully adhere the sticky foam back onto the wood. Will it lose its stickiness? Has anyone tried this?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The microwave doesn't remove the stickiness, it just softens the glue enough to let you remove it from the block.

I use unmounted for the most part, but when I've had a wood-mount stamp come undone from the block when I wanted it to stay there, I glued it back down with some good ol' Alene's Tacky glue. Just a thin layer, stick it back down and good to go. That should work with your stamps, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I have done this many times, just peel off the rubber layer from the foam, cut them apart and remount them as you wish. If it will not go back on the foam just add some adhesive. I like rubber cement
If you put a coat on the back of the rubber stamp and a coat on the foam let them both DRY and then stick them together that is a PERMANENT adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #4  

Thank you both! I'll give it a try.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 03:25 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes I have done this many times. Just stick the stamp in the microwave for about 10 seconds (depending on the size of the stamp) It softens the stamp enough to peel off. If you cut it fast enough you can reposition the stamp on the wood while still warm and it resticks just fine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Have you considered just masking off the part of the stamp you don't want to use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
Have you considered just masking off the part of the stamp you don't want to use?
If she's anything like me, she'd be masking it off almost every time, and who has the patience for that? Good suggestion, though, for those who are less...cranky?...about masking ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #8  

I did what you all said and found success, woo hoo! I microwaved the stamp and peeled it off the block, used Goo Gone to get the gummy stuff off the block, cut the stamp apart and used Glossy Accents to adhere the two pieces onto two separate blocks. Problem solved! And they both even fit into the same stamp case! I am a happy girl! Thanks for all your helpful suggestions!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

This was a timely Q for me as I received a stamp that has a part slightly crooked and since it is writing it is very obvious when you stamp it. Not worth exchanging-this sounds so much easier. I'll just micro it and push it in place. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Default remount words on the sides

When I want maximum options for stamp images that have words below them, I cut off the words and mount them on the side or bottom of the wood block. Then I have them together when I want them, but can stamp separately or even in different colors very easily. No extra block or space needed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I always cut words and images apart and mount them separately on their own wood block. I find I use both parts more often than if they were one stamp. I use the microwave process if I buy a stamp already mounted. I have even cut off flowers from a flourish (can always stamp the flowers back on, or better yet other things like snowflakes or birds) to make the flourish more masculine. I never plan on selling my stamps, so I don't worry if I have made them "personalized."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

When i have this type of stamo i prefer to remove the sentiment so that it can be re-inserted quickly & precisely.
I do this by taking fine point sharp scissors and snipping the rubber around the sentiment - I DO NOT snip the foam cushion underneath. The snipped sentiment will easily lift off of the rubber and can be attached to the end of the wood block with some runner tape. Because the foam sits lower than the remaining rubber on the stamp it doesn't pick up ink when you use the stamp. Whenever you want to use the stamp in its original form, the omitted rubber portion will pop back into the hole and fit perfectly, so you won't have to fiddle around getting it aligned correctly.
I must be honest and say that once I snip out the sentiment, I rarely want to have it back in place. But at least I know I can if I need be. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a stamp that I purchased that is mounted upside down! Imagine the horror when I stamped it on the inside of a finished card and it was absolutely the opposite of what I was expecting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have a stamp that I purchased that is mounted upside down! Imagine the horror when I stamped it on the inside of a finished card and it was absolutely the opposite of what I was expecting!
Oh dear. I don't need any help with this sort of thing. I have stamped a greeting upside down and it was mounted correctly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Oh no! That happened to me once too. What a total drag! Now I stamp the inside of a card before I lay down the outside layers. Also b/c I might not stamp it straight or cleanly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to separate the sentiment from the image of a large stamp years ago, I used my x-acto knife and carefully cut it off while it was still mounted on the wood.
I glue the sentiment on clear block and have been happy ever since.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I have often performed " surgery" on wood mounted stamps. I remove the stamp and foam backing together of the part I want removed. I then re-mount onto another block. Also I have removed areas of stamps that pick up ink and mess up the image. Use a sharp exacto knife as mentioned above for the " surgery".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
When i have this type of stamo i prefer to remove the sentiment so that it can be re-inserted quickly & precisely.
I do this by taking fine point sharp scissors and snipping the rubber around the sentiment - I DO NOT snip the foam cushion underneath. The snipped sentiment will easily lift off of the rubber and can be attached to the end of the wood block with some runner tape. Because the foam sits lower than the remaining rubber on the stamp it doesn't pick up ink when you use the stamp. Whenever you want to use the stamp in its original form, the omitted rubber portion will pop back into the hole and fit perfectly, so you won't have to fiddle around getting it aligned correctly.
I must be honest and say that once I snip out the sentiment, I rarely want to have it back in place. But at least I know I can if I need be. :cool:
That is absolutely brilliant! I have sometimes wondered about doing just that, but you've given me the confirmation I needed to go ahead. I think i'll be doing this to many of my stamps! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes