Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organizing your Scraps

Hi there-

I've only been stamping for a little over a year and I find I have such a hard time deciding what scraps to keep and what should be thrown away...I find myself keeping accumulating lots of scraps and not knowing how to organize it and how to find my scraps after I've save them. Can you help me with some ideas on what scrap sizes to keep and which to throw out and how I can best organize them so that I can find them and use for later?

Thanks so much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I keep nothing smaller than 1/8 of a sheet of 8.5 x 11 cardstock. All full sheets are in my filing system, and anything smaller than a full sheet goes in a ziplock in front of the full sheets - makes it easy to grab little scraps for punching. I buy the bags from Clear Bags - I have bags for both 12x12 and 8.5x11 cardstock. It has saved my sanity completely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use quart size baggies. I put the scraps, sorted by general color, in them. Then I have a photo box from Michael's that I keep the baggies in.... standing them up. It works great for me. That way I can keep loads of scraps in a small space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2014, 03:29 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Storing scraps, UGH!! I store mine in a gallon size ziplocs by color and then the bags are in a basket I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store mine in 12x12 page protectors in a rolling file cabinet in a folder infront of each color. The patterned paper I toss in bin and and just dig around for it. I agree with Understanblue, saving small peices will drive you nuts. I do save smaller piece of glitter and metalic tho in a plastic bin with a lid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I store my scraps in the top drawer of a 4 drawer file cabinet-all sorted by color. Each hanging folder has two manila folders, one for the card stock and one for the pattern paper of each color. When I go to a crop I use a plastic file box with a handle and I grab whatever colors I think I'll be using that night.
Been working great for a number of years. Also don't keep really small pieces except for white because those are great for stamping sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

I keep my scraps in page protectors by color.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Since I'm tied to my drawers in my armoire unit, here is how my scraps get kept...

My packages of full sheets are kept on a shelf under the worktable of my unit. In the drawer (check the photo attached) I have half sheets, quarter sheets, and folded card bases for the colors in the front of the drawer. This picture is SU regals. In the back are all the scraps smaller than 1/4 sheet, sorted by color. No bags, since I know I'd just toss scraps in, since I do that now. :rolleyes: Every once in a while I straighten everything up in the drawers.

I can easily see if there are scraps to be used first, and they don't seem to mount up too much.

I have a several colors with lots of scraps because of large projects, but I seem to be using those up pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing your Scraps-paper-drawer.jpg  
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Over the years I've tried a lot of different ways to store my scraps: zip lock bags, boxes, baskets, etc. and last year I started storing my scraps in my JetMax (white cube) drawers by color (red, pink/purple, green, brown, white, black, yellow/orange, & blue). I keep 1/2 sheets or larger with the full sheets and small pieces 3" or larger. I found that I need to keep all scrap sizes together because when I kept my 6x6 paper in a different place I never used it and I don't care what company makes the paper. All I really care about is the color.

This was working well except the small pieces would get mixed in with the larger pieces. I looked for drawer dividers but I could find anything that gave me the flexibility that I wanted and would fit in the drawers. Then I found these dividers at Lee Valley tools.

These dividers allowed me to make sections in my drawers and I love it. I have one large side for up to 6 1/4" and 2 small sections each about 6" square.

The drawer dividers hammer into the wood and the separators are foam core so the cost is low.

Before and after pictures shown below:
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing your Scraps-dscn1932.jpg   Organizing your Scraps-dscn1933.jpg  

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 03-19-2014 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi! I recently sorted through all my scraps and sorted by colour - greys and blacks together, blues, purples and green, reds and pinks, whites and all shades of tan or beige, yellows and oranges, and lastly shades of brown. I used a set of 3 plastic drawers from Sterilite and stacked 2 on top of each other. This has made it so quick to find a scrap - wish Id done it earlier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I've always stored them in 3 drawers (those plastic 3 drawer things that fit 8x10 paper are great). I have them separated into cool, warm and neutral. For pattern papers I go with either the primary color or how the paper makes me feel. There is no right or wrong way, its how it works for you. I've tried other ways but this makes sense to me. I also clean it out once a year (or more depending on how much is in there) and give myself permission to throw away colors or patterns that no longer inspire me. I also no longer keep small pieces because I found I never used them. So listen to all the ways everyone else does it and then figure out which works for you. Remember also that what works for you now may someday no longer work then you try something else. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just bought a clear plastic napkin holder at the dollar store. It works great to store my card stock and paper scraps anything 6inch or larger! I placed it on a shelf under my work table so I can use those pieces first before taking a new sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to keep my scraps in zip bags separately from my full and partial sheets of paper but I almost never used them. I just moved those bags in with the larger sheets of same color & am so glad I did, have no idea what I didn't do it this way all along.

When they were stored separately I never used them, it was just too easy to grab a quarter sheet to die cut instead of seeing if I had a smaller scrap that would work and then that partially used sheet would sit on the corner of my desk forever until I finally got around to filing it away with the other scraps. It was a never ending cycle which resulted in lots of never used bits of paper.

Not only am I using them now but I find designing a card easier sometimes because when I go to pull out a partial sheet for matting, I sometimes see a piece just the right size for a matching die cut label or something. Another words cards seems to come together quicker without the stress because all the matching bits are stored together.

I was still struggling with some of the dp papers that have too many colors to just pick one to file it away by. I like the warm, cool and neutral idea and will be going thru those papers to see if I can make that work for me, thanks!

Last edited by stampin stacy; 04-07-2014 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I have one of the iris boxes that I toss in cardstock (off brand) and just dig in there unless it is SU/MFT cardstock I'm using. For my SU/MFT, I just slip it back in the plastic that it came in and it all gets stored on my shelf.

For printed paper (out side of SUs DSP), most of the time it just gets tossed. I never go back to a printed paper it seems if it isn't SU.

By doing this it has kept my scraps to a more manageable level. When we moved in Feb I couldn't believe how much scrap paper I threw out because I thought I had to keep it seeing it was a bigger size. SO much more freeing now. And frankly, it's a piece of paper. I can always get another
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also keep them with the full sheets. I used to use a separate 6-drawer holder for them, until I realized I rarely looked in it. Since I store my cardstock in hanging file folders, I just toss any scraps in front of the full sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I used to keep my scraps in zip bags separately from my full and partial sheets of paper but I almost never used them. I just moved those bags in with the larger sheets of same color & am so glad I did, have no idea what I didn't do it this way all along.

When they were stored separately I never used them, it was just too easy to grab a quarter sheet to die cut instead of seeing if I had a smaller scrap that would work and then that partially used sheet would sit on the corner of my desk forever until I finally got around to filing it away with the other scraps. It was a never ending cycle which resulted in lots of never used bits of paper.
This is exactly what I went thru and have done to solve it. Now that I know the colors I can grab the page protector of the color I want and look for a scrap in the front. Plus I got back half a drawer that used to be full of those pesky zip lock bags!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I also had scrap issues. I found clear plastic container at Walmart... They are fishing lure containers! Roughly 8x13 already divided lengthwise in thirds (2narrow sleeves 3rd larger). It also comes w/ smaller squares to create smaller areas. I purchased 3. 1 for neutral scraps, 1 for colour & one for DSP. $6... dust free & stack-able.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I've attached a picture of my scrap drawer. It looks messier than it is - it's actually very easy to find an appropriately-sized piece of whatever color I need. I obviously need to work on using some of these up :p

Patterned paper scraps are in sandwich-sized ziploc bags in the same folder as the full sheets of the same pattern. Those are all arranged by type (polka dots, stripes, florals, seasons, etc.) or collection, if they are a mix of types that share the same colors (like the SU! dsp packs or some of the pads from companies like Basic Grey or Prima)
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing your Scraps-dscf5389.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I have a large closet for all my scrap supplies. I have those wooden shoe shelf units ( used to get at kmart or walmart) I don't know if they're still available. But by stacking them I have a lot of 8 inch tall shelves. I stack my solid color papers on these shelves and then on top of each stack is a plastics horizontal file box ( I think I purchased at
Oriental trading) in those boxes I keep scraps sorted by color. Because I don't have a designated craft room, it's a guest bedroom, when im working on a project, I'll pull the boxes of the colors I think I'm going to need and take it to the area I'm working at. My patterned papers are in those clear plastic portfolios that you get at Staples ( they're legal size hand have a zip top. I leave the tops off of my scrap boxes, so when I'm putting scraps away I can just pull it out a couple inches and drop it in.

I hope to be able to convert a bedroom into my very own scrap room soon and if/when I do I'll keep this same system. It works for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I keep my scraps in pocket file folders sorted by color. The folder pockets are stored in a deep sterlite container that has a lid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
Storing scraps, UGH!! I store mine in a gallon size ziplocs by color and then the bags are in a basket I have.
Same here except they are in a cloth covered bin I got at Target!

I keep scraps approx. 5" x 5" and larger.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 04-17-2014 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I've taken the scrap re-organization a step further. I have a ton of precut die shapes that I had sorted by type (zip bags) in a basket, some I cut and then didn't use and others I bought or were given to me. I have now gone thru everything and put them with my paper and scraps. Now almost all paper product is in the same place, sorted by color . So much better to have everything together instead of several different places around the room.

Some of those shapes I've had forever, purchased before do it yourself was so readily available, nice ones like candles and balloons. Just never remembered they were there. Maybe I'll actually use them now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I keep almost all my scraps. Never know when I could use a strip of color on a card or something else. Also, I never know when I will use a punch and don't want to punch a whole sheet. I throw away stuff that I don't think I would use again, that is too small to make a difference. I should say....I RECYCLE the small stuff. It gets on my husband's nerves!

I have a separate filing drawer for each of the colors (I divide my by pinks, reds, oranges, etc). I keep one hanging file for the full sheets, one for the scraps and one for the patterned paper. That way I can just toss it in the folder and not worry about it. I think I would go crazy if I had ziplock baggies to open each time I had a scrap to put away....especially the way that I create. It's very messy. I never had a problem with them falling out or getting lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
I keep my scraps in pocket file folders sorted by color. The folder pockets are stored in a deep sterlite container that has a lid.
I store mine the same way and it's made it much easier for me to use the scraps first! I also keep my decorative papers sorted by color and I file those folders next to the coordinating solid colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

I keep all scraps. Most usable pieces are in a set of 3- 3 drawer Sterlite units stacked on top of each other. Pieces too small to use are kept in 9 pencil boxes - to eventually be recycled into handmade paper. (I even keep the trash from punches<g>)
Then there is a small hanging file box next to my paper cutter, with 9 files to drop small but usable pieces into after I cut them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jambalaya842View Post
I keep all scraps. Most usable pieces are in a set of 3- 3 drawer Sterlite units stacked on top of each other. Pieces too small to use are kept in 9 pencil boxes - to eventually be recycled into handmade paper. (I even keep the trash from punches<g>)
Then there is a small hanging file box next to my paper cutter, with 9 files to drop small but usable pieces into after I cut them.
Lots of good ideas in this thread!

Your statement caught my eye. It made me remember a funny story about someone cleaning out a garage and finding a box labeled: "Pieces of string, too short to be used.":mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's pretty funny. Too short to use but long enough to save.................. kind of sounds like my ribbon collection!!!!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep my med to large scraps in gallon sized zip lock bags. They are stored in those cardboard magazine holders by color. My small scraps card size and smaller are in baggies by color in two small baskets on my desktop. I like the idea of keeping the large bags with the full size sheets. I keep my 12x12s in the plastic dividers and next to them I have my paper packs. My 8 1/2x 11 are across the room all on their own by color. I might have to rearrange my organization, so all the paper is together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

I have alex drawers for my scraps. a drawer for pink/red/orange/yellow, green, blue/purple and other. i love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #30  
Glitter Queen

I just cut down 5x7 and a2 mats and whipped out my border punches for most of the little bits. Those are stored in my Iris card storage case. I also started to keep GC plates, shims, tape in a plastic cleaning caddy with a handle and two sides. I keep larger white and cream cs and smaller pieces for sentiments on the other side. This is an experiment, so I will let you know how it goes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #31  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I had the same problem and ended up with a box full of scraps that I NEVER used so it just kept growing and growing. Now, the way I organize my paper, keeps scraps with the paper packs so I use up those scraps!!!

3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Do you hoard your Designer Series Paper??? Great storage idea for Scrapbooking paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a ring binder with plastic pockets (one per colour) that I keep anything less than a full sheet in. If I want some cardstock, I go there first and go for the most appropriate size for what I need it for (matting, stamping, punching, card base). I find this makes best use of all the leftover bits!

I don't have space to keep all my cardstock and paper out, so having the ring binder on a bookcase close to hand means I don't have to go and dig out a new sheet from a box in the under-stair cupboard every time I need to use a colour. Only if there is nothing appropriately-sized in the ring binder will I then go and get a new sheet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought an 11 section accordion folder at Office Max or Depot or Staples - it is 13" wide x 10" tall, so I can put a 12" long scrap in it. I have 6 ROYGBIV sections and Black, White/Vanilla, Tan, Browns and Metallic. It works pretty well. I tend to keep half card sizes with my full-size sheets.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing your Scraps-photo-2-4.jpg   Organizing your Scraps-photo-1-5.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I also keep them with the full sheets. I used to use a separate 6-drawer holder for them, until I realized I rarely looked in it. Since I store my cardstock in hanging file folders, I just toss any scraps in front of the full sheets.
I do something similar. I keep cardstock in its original shrink wrap and slit open the long side. As I have scraps, I slip them into the original package. It's really simple, but it works for me.

I previously had a large accordion file of scraps, but I found I was spending a lot of time organizing/locating a specific color, and it was just easier to take a fresh sheet. I was so happy to throw that huge accordion folder of scraps away!

I also don't sweat as much anymore about saving every single scrap. I still have a lot of card stock from over ten years ago when I first started making cards. It seems impossible that I will ever run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent hours the other night going through my scraps!! Up until now, I have had them in a clear container with separators for each color group...multicolored patterned paper to the very back. I have matched almost everything up with the 8.5x11 sheets in my cabinet drawers and am using zip lock baggies for the scraps as suggested above. LOVE IT. I am still using the clear container for the non-SU paper though. My next step is to go in and tackle my DSP and mark each set with the names of the colors included. So happy to have all of you leading the way!! Thanks for the tips
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Yep, moving all of the various sizes of the same color together instead of storing them separately is the best thing I've done organizationally. I'm using scraps like crazy now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just make sure you conveniently store them in reach of your crafting table. I need it within reach, at eye level and convenient to grab. Otherwise, you still won't use them

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Epic fail on the "using my scraps" - I'm giving them away, along with most of my full-size paper stash (we're moving). From now on, I'm only going to keep scraps large enough to make an ATC or larger - I'll just keep those in the same place I pulled the full-size sheet from...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #39  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The only time my scraps get used is if they are insight and easily reached from my workspace. I do NOT separate the colors and this has often led to fun color combos!

If whatever you are doing with your scraps isn't working for you why not give the "mixed basket" a try?

HTH and ..

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my scraps divided by color in zip lock bags PP with the solid colors in a sterlte container...Funny when I used the basket of scraps method I did seem to use more of them I go through them at least once a year and MAKE myself put them in 3 piles 1 for me 1 for the daycare near work and 1 for a lady at my stamp club that gives them to her Grandaughter.
I usually have 2 2 gallon bags to give away. :-P Guess I'm not using my scraps...
Reply With Quote Likes