Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Looking for advice on die cutting machine

I have a Cuttlebug and find it works great for most things. It is the older first version and I cross my fingers that it will continue to work for many more years.

I have purchased some of the more intricate Spellbinders dies and I find that it takes many, many, many, times through the machine, turning and readjusting and turning again to try to get them to cut. I have avoided buying large dies that won't fit in the Cuttlebug. Those two issues, along with the age of my Cuttlebug got me thinking about purchasing a new die cutting machine.

I thought it would be great to buy a Vagabond, but read many bad reviews of the machine getting jammed and not being able to have the machine fixed or covered under warranty. I don't know if some of the new machines due out this summer are worth the wait or not. I have used other machines and didn't personally like the Spellbinders machine.

I would appreciate any advice that you may have. Do you have a machine that you like, and are you able to cut intricate dies? Do you cut thick material such as Grungeboard and felt, and how does that work in your machine? Do you have a Vagabond and are the bad reviews accurate or unfair? If you were able to attend CHA and see some of the new machines how did they look? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the intricate dies in a Cuttlebug, I do the following. I layer clear tape on the back of the die where it's not cutting completely. It's like a little shim. I also have the metal adaptor plate that I use with dies that are a little more difficult. One of those tricks usually works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #3  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I have the Vagabond and Bigshot. I bought the Bigshot a long time ago because I needed a machine that can handle thick material, and it does this beautifully. The only issue was the cranking because I do not have a lot of strength in my hands, so when the Vagabond came out, that was a no brainer for me. I've had my Vagabond since the machine was introduced and I have never had one problem - period. I cut very intricate thin dies and I cut heavy material (chipboard and matboard) using the steel rule dies and I emboss.

To protect the Vagabond, the trick is to not make the sandwich too thick for the machine which may be the root cause of the jamming issues. Also, t!m holtz says that only Sizzix accessories should be used with the Vagabond because (makes sense) Sizzix products are calibrated to work in Sizzix machines, so if anyone is using other manufacturer's accessories with the Vagabond, there is risk. If I want to use a 'risky' sandwich, I run it through my Bigshot - so far, so good, but if I broke my Bigshot I would not fault the machine - that would be on me.

My personal experience with Sizzix customer service is excellent. I can understand their hesitation to replace Vagabonds that are jamming. The Vagabond is powerful, so I think (unless your machine is defective) that if it jams, it's most likely 'user error'. There is a set of keys (now standard with the Vagabond) and if your sandwich fits the appropriate key, then your Vagabond is safe from harm. I check my sandwiches religiously because I don't want to break my Vagabond.

If cranking is not an issue, then the less costly Bigshot will cut those thicker materials.

Whatever you choose, and there are many good choices out there, HAVE FUN!!!!!

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 04-13-2014 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I have a Big Shot. Nothing else for me, thank you. It's tremendous!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're ready to invest in a manual diecutter that you'll never outgrow, I suggest either the Sizzix Big Shot Pro or the AccuCut GrandeMark. I have both machines, but could get by with just the GrandeMark since it handles all the dies the BSP can take, as well as dies that are even larger than 12x12.

AccuCut occasionally has the GrandeMark on sale for $375.

ETA If you're not going to use the larger format dies, I agree with holtzfan that the Big Kick/Big Shot/Vintaj is your best bet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my big shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

can some one tell me the difference between the Big Shot and the Big Kick please thanks. I have a cuttlebug and the Big Kick love them both
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2014, 03:55 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryBrewerView Post
can some one tell me the difference between the Big Shot and the Big Kick please thanks. I have a cuttlebug and the Big Kick love them both
The difference is solely cosmetic. The BK body is lower/squatter-looking, and the colors are different.

Internally/Mechanically, they are the exact same machine and function the exact same way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you for all the great information!!!! I am not sure which way I will go, but for now I will try the helpful hints for my Cuttlebug and then try to make a decision about another machine. I am happy to hear your good comments on the Vagabond. That makes me feel a lot better about that machine. I don't know what the price comparisons are so I guess I'd better do a little research. I would appreciate any additional advice. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Big Shot and a Cuttlebug. I kept my lovable bug for portability. Love them both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I have an eBosser and really love it. Its electric like the vagabond. I have had no trouble getting intricate Spellbinder dies to cut in the eBosser. Plus everything you need (all plates, magnetic mats and embossing pad) are included in the eBosser when you purchase it. It is easy to use and takes Sizzix Bigz-type dies as well as the spellbinder-type dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Annie,

You might like to see this video on a new machine called Crossover. It seems to be related to the company that makes the Cheery Lynn Dies. I like the fact that it is wider than the Bigshot and can cut the bigger dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENEUUXjttaI

Edited: :shock: Just saw that it costs $249,95 ... [I LUV MY BIGSHOT SO MUCH!]

Last edited by Candida; 04-14-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Additional info added.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I used to be a big shot person. However, once I bought my silhouette portrait, I find I only use my big shot for embossing. I'm head over heels in love with the portrait and all it can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Annie, one thing I would say is consider how much room you have for a machine, and will you need to move it for use? I too have a 'bug, and got fed up with dies & folders getting bigger than it could handle, so looked at the options. I really didn't want to find myself a few years along, needing to upgrade again, so went as big as I could. I'm fortunate enough to have my own room for crafting, so it could have a station and stay there. Because of that, I went with the Big Shot Pro. The opening is almost 13", so it will take the biggest paper/folders/ dies out there, and I figured anything bigger than that I will never want! Because of the multiple number of platforms for it, it will take any die, from wafer thin to Bigz. You can also cut/emboss multiple items at the same time, as long as they are all the same type.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2014, 04:49 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Annie, one thing I would say is consider how much room you have for a machine, and will you need to move it for use? I too have a 'bug, and got fed up with dies & folders getting bigger than it could handle, so looked at the options. I really didn't want to find myself a few years along, needing to upgrade again, so went as big as I could. I'm fortunate enough to have my own room for crafting, so it could have a station and stay there. Because of that, I went with the Big Shot Pro. The opening is almost 13", so it will take the biggest paper/folders/ dies out there, and I figured anything bigger than that I will never want! Because of the multiple number of platforms for it, it will take any die, from wafer thin to Bigz. You can also cut/emboss multiple items at the same time, as long as they are all the same type.
Agreed. My manual die cutters have to be stored and brought to use each time. Thus I own a cuttlebug and Grand Caliber. The bug is so easy and I use the bug plates through the Grand Caliber with embossing folders at fun angles on large cards. If mine were able to sit out I may have made other choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
The difference is solely cosmetic. The BK body is lower/squatter-looking, and the colors are different.

Internally/Mechanically, they are the exact same machine and function the exact same way.
thank you so much for the reply
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 04:45 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Default Accucut Mark IV with a side of Big Shot

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
If you're ready to invest in a manual diecutter that you'll never outgrow, I suggest either the Sizzix Big Shot Pro or the AccuCut GrandeMark. I have both machines, but could get by with just the GrandeMark since it handles all the dies the BSP can take, as well as dies that are even larger than 12x12.

AccuCut occasionally has the GrandeMark on sale for $375.
I agree with TheOtherMeg ... I have an Accucut Mark IV that I got on CL for $150 but its a bit cumbersome to use embossing folders with ... so I also got the newer aqua colored Big Shot for the embossing folders, and I think its a perfect combo. I also liked the Big Shot Pro, but I found the Mark IV cheaper locally... there are some awesome Accucut dies (boxes bags, etc - love em!) that the Big Shot can't handle... so that's why I went with this combo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The New Crossover Machine

I've had my new Crossover die cut machine for a while now and I love it!

1st The working parts are all steel. No plastic parts to break, so hopefully I won't have to replace it. (Over the course of 2-1/2 years, I went through 4 Spellbinders Grand Caliburs and that came to more money than the Crossover, which has a 2 yr warranty. I never abused them, but did use them a lot. The internal plastic parts always broke.

2nd The pressure is easily adjustable, so it takes any dies currently on the market, without changing the sandwich - only 2 plates needed - just adjust the pressure with the dial. And ... if you need to cut a really intricate die, just increase the pressure and/or use the metal plate they provided. I do have to turn the die for one particularly intricate doily die. For any unusual size, or intricate dies, I write the pressure # right on the die, so I can quickly dial in the pressure each time I use it. Otherwise I leave it on 4.

3rd I can use my Jr. plates (or anyone's plates) from the Grand Calibur, because, again, you can dial in your desired pressure.

4th Because of the way they made the gears you don�t have to turn the handle as many times as you do with the Grand Calibur to run the plates through.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

I know you asked for advice on a new cutting machine, but if you're stuck with what you have for a while, don't miss the great tutorial on "cutting intricate dies" by Lori Craig. I found it really helpful and it has some good basic pointers in addition to the great help for intricate cuts.

Go here to see the tutorial:
Cutting with Detailed Dies Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Malachi 3:10 "See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heavenand pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it"

I joined the Fan Club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a Big Kick, which is essentially the same as a Big Shot. I love it and use it frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's personal choice again. Everyone loves their one machine because it works well for them! I absolutely adored my Cuttlebug because I saved money just to buy it and I was able to use a coupon for it. It worked so well for a long time. I wore the poor thing out! When it was time to get a new machine, I investigated what was out there. I found out the Big Kick and the Big Shot are the same tool. The Big Shot is sold through Stampin Up, and the Big Kick is sold in retail stores. Same machine. At the time, the Big Kick was on sale so I got that one. It's been terrific! Love these gems of crafty tools. So much fun to use!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

stampinmecrazy Glad to see another Accucut owner here. I too got mine off craigslist, and have bought out several die lots from closing scrapbook store. I love all the card dies, bags and boxes and even my scrapbook dies. Accucut rocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I love my "Big Shot Pro". It is costly but you can find good deals out there. The downside is it's size and weight. It has to have its own piece of real estate. If you want to use thicker material stay away from the Vagabond. I had to send my Vagabond in for repair, luckily it was still under warranty. I do love my Vagabond, but only use it for thin dies. If it breaks again I will not replace it. The Big Shot Pro is my goto machine. I'd stick with the smaller Big Shot if the Pro is too large. Some like their Cuttlebugs for its portability, but it wouldn't be my choice.
Reply With Quote Likes