Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coloring just for fun

Does anyone color just for fun? I used to make cards but just sort of lost interest. Now I have been just coloring mandalas or coloring pages from the internet. Of course I have sold most of my copics now and am starting to think about collecting some again.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

A great question. And a timely question for me.

I am in the middle of working on some cards for an SCS swap which involve coloring a stamped image and it became obvious to me very quickly that, although I love to color, I am TERRIBLE at coloring regardless of what color medium I am using.

I am Copic intermediate certified and I have watched countless YouTube videos re: how to color with Copics and colored pencils and watercolor pencils and distress markers and gelatos, etc., but once the class or video is over, I don't color (aka practice my coloring), period, and I'm NEVER going to get any skill or 'feel' for the product that way LOL.

So as painful as it is for me right now, I am forcing myself to use stamps that require me to color because I want to be able to get to the point where I can enjoy coloring and do it without it taking me 2 hours to color a pea - haha - and use all of those outline stamps that I have that are wonderful IF COLORED PROPERLY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Ha, yes me! I love to colour stamped images and have a nice Copic collection that I have not mastered but still trying. I'm better with pencils and gamsol. Even with all the cool toys my favourite is to just sit down with the kids and colour from their colouring books. In fact had a colouring date with my 4 year old last night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I think you've just identified why I don't have more creations in my gallery! I enjoy the processes that go into making a card - the embossing, the die cuts, the coloring, etc. - but just want to play with my "stuff", rather than actually coming up with a finished product. Way, way more fun! (In my opinion, any way). Do I actually do this? Not as often as I should - probably because I feel like I should have something to show for it at the end of the session. Hmmm...I think you've just inspired me to start an art journal...thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I LOVE to color "for fun"!!!! I print off mandellas and coloring pages, too. I also picked up a few "coloring books" at Michael's and copy those pages. I use sharpies and Bic Mark-its for this type of theraputic coloring. I don't use the pages for anything. I just color them while I am watching TV. Very soothing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I love to colour....anything and have always loved to colour, as a child the best gifts were colouring pencils/makers and a colouring book...I was and would still be in heaven if I got those! oh do you remember those sets, the 12, 24, 36,72. 144 markers....oh how I pinned for the set I didnt have for that extra colour option that was in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I have colored for FUN too!

Years ago when I was teaching preschool I made about 300 flannel board stories and about 3/4 of them were printed pictures that I would color, cut out, mount on construction paper, cut out again and then laminate again. The coloring was very soothing. I made these for about 10 years!

Now I search for books that have a coloring component. I just bought a diet book off the clearance racks at Barnes and Noble...it's called "Diet Doodle Diary". I also have a book called "Coloring Your Prayers". Both have places to doodle and and pictures to color. These kinds of books are very far and few between. I seem to have to have a book to color in.

I went into the jail system and did parent education for female inmates for about three years. They would draw their own pictures to color. I ended up copying pictures for them to color in their spare time. I also brought parenting activities/info that had little areas to color.

Who colored lots as a child? We spent many hours on my front porch coloring, coloring, coloring!

So, yes coloring is good for the soul!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I love colouring, just for colouring's sake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I love to color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I love to colour....anything and have always loved to colour, as a child the best gifts were colouring pencils/makers and a colouring book...I was and would still be in heaven if I got those! oh do you remember those sets, the 12, 24, 36,72. 144 markers....oh how I pined for the set I didnt have for that extra colour option that was in it!
Ohhh, this took me back to those golden yellow snap cases of Pentel Markers... I remember the feeling of rapture I had when I got THE BIG CASE. I put them in rainbow order and I think I cried when the snap broke.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

I have always loved to color! I like Prisma colored pencils, and Copic markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love to color but never feel my final product is good enough to send in a card. I really can't afford Copics but did scoop up quite a few Spectrum Noir when our A.C. Moore closed recently. I don't think they blend as nicely as Copics, but they're fine for what I do.

I actually took an online class on coloring for rubber stamps a couple of years ago. One of the main teachers was Colleen Schaan (?), she's written a lot about coloring with Copics, but we also worked with colored pencils and odor-free mineral spirits and water color pencils, and I had a lot more fun with those.

Anymore, I spend more time making and coloring cards than I do scrapbooking because I'm not very patient, and I like to see a finished product before the end of the night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I love to color, but do not blend and get depth and all that as well as others. I thought it was because I didn't have the right pencils, markers, etc., but then when I had all that, I realized it was just me. I don't mind my creations not being "perfect" because I still go with the mantra "it's handmade by me" and this is what "me" coloring looks like. I have never not liked a card I colored. We got coloring books and crayons every year for Christmas and would color for hours at the kitchen table. I always thought my mom was the best color-er since she stayed in the lines...hee!hee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I teach a group of seniors at the center, and quite often they want to know when are we going to do a watercolor card! So as seniors we haven't lost our love to color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Coloring is like my tranquilzer, watercoloring is so soft.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Default Wonderful Coloring Books

Check out these coloring books from Dover. They have great subjects and the stained glass ones are really nice. We use markers for the stained glass, and colored pencils and crayons for the others. We've had dragons, wizards, fairies, pirates and more fun ones. They are wonderful for kids (and adults!) who want to color but don't like kiddie books.

Coloring Books
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Whenever I get a creative block, I turn to colouring. It gets my brain in motion again, and most times I get a vision of my next project. lolo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I have blogged extensively about trying so hard to learn the new smash-style art journaling, but I despair! I finally gave up and allowed myself to admit, I LOVE TO COLOR! That's all, I love my gazillion Copics (certified Level Two), my Inktense, my Tombow. I keep two small spiral sketch books (6.5" x 5")- one with watercolor paper and one with Copic paper (Copic sells their own) and stamp each new stamp into my personal "Coloring Book". When the spirit moves me I might make a card, no bling, no thick layer upon layer of embellishments. I color something, fold the paper and there's a card. And I am Very Very Happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I love to color also but often find I am trying a new way of coloring. I love my prisma pencils and blending them with mineral spirits; I have alcohol inks that I like using; alcohol markers; watercolors in pencil form, paste form; and childrens paint sets. I am checking out the pastel paint pots and intense pencils now and wondering if I need to try more avenues. LOL It's an addiction I think! There always seems to be a new way of using all of these that I haven't tried yet. Keeps me busy playing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I grew up with Crayola crayons and learned a lot of colors through them like blue-green and green-blue or periwinkle which was just a cool word to me as a kid. lol. I could not wait till the fall each year when I would get my new box of 64 colors. Just as I grew out of them, the metallics were coming in....sigh. Then I saw the 128 box and was tempted to get it years later but resisted lol

I love to color but I cant afford the copics and actually I resent the idea of spending that many hundreds for a full set of markers so I use watercolor pencils and a water brush or gamsol. I dont need special blending paper for it either. I also use fine tip sharpies for detail work. They come in a lot of colors now. Inktense pencils are very cool too for vibrant color.

I have some random tombows and I did bite the bullet to get tombows, copics and pencils in skin tones but I have yet to master that well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm Copic intermediate certified too and I've started watercolouring again just to have fun With another way to colour. So yep, I colour for the fun of it!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I love to color for coloring's sake. Coloring has been one of my favorite activities ever since I learned to color within the lines, which was probably a lot later than you would think! I color with old fashioned Crayola Crayons, Prismacolor pencils, water color pencils & blender pen or water brush and Twinkling H2O's. I love the look of Copics, but have purposely never gotten into them because I know I could never afford them. I do own one light blue Copic that I use to create shadows around a colored image. I also love the Dover Coloring Books - here is my favorite section of their selections:

Fine Art Coloring Books
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Have just googled these books and find there is a Dover Bookshop in the uk, might just treat myself to one!
Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
I love to color for coloring's sake. Coloring has been one of my favorite activities ever since I learned to color within the lines, which was probably a lot later than you would think! I color with old fashioned Crayola Crayons, Prismacolor pencils, water color pencils & blender pen or water brush and Twinkling H2O's. I love the look of Copics, but have purposely never gotten into them because I know I could never afford them. I do own one light blue Copic that I use to create shadows around a colored image. I also love the Dover Coloring Books - here is my favorite section of their selections:

Fine Art Coloring Books
It would be fun to color and frame a few, put them up on the wall and pretend you're a "real" artist... I didn't even know they had this much variety, or such "grown up" selections - thanks for the link!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedieView Post
Check out these coloring books from Dover. They have great subjects and the stained glass ones are really nice. We use markers for the stained glass, and colored pencils and crayons for the others. We've had dragons, wizards, fairies, pirates and more fun ones. They are wonderful for kids (and adults!) who want to color but don't like kiddie books.

Coloring Books
I've picked up a few of these from AC Moore as stocking stuffers for the grandkids, but had no idea how many more were available. Thanks for the link!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

Oh, I love to color for fun. It so relaxes me! I did lots of coloring while the Olympics were on in the background.
Mostly trying out my new Inktense pencils.
I save the colored pieces. Many of them are just for pracitce, and don't really end up on a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I too love coloring with different mediums. I'm not an artist and can't draw, which I why I got into stamping in the first place. What I found out about myself is I love to get the larger selection of colors, so I have more to choose from or blend with. I just love the range of colors, be they pencils, watercolors, Copics, chalks..... it's so much fun to create and so relaxing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #28  

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

I've always enjoyed coloring for fun. I'm still the proud owner of the 64 count box of Crayola crayons. I LOVE the Dover books! Been coloring in those for years.will probably color just for the pleasure of it til the day I die
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm guessing that this is the only place my most recent dilemma can be appreciated:
I was cruising through Target a few days ago and stopped at the "writing instruments" aisle to see if I could find a larger set than the 24-pack of Bic MarkIt markers (a few of my favorites are all used up, sadly) and they had the 36-pack! Then I noticed that they also had a 120-count Crayola crayon box - WHAT?! Never even knew they had that many colors... But wait - there's more! They had a 152-count "Ultimate Collection" set, with a carrier that had a handle and everything! Which to buy? Do I NEED 152 crayons? Need and want are not the same thing... Yeah - I walked out of the store without either of them, but I'll be going back soon - the siren is calling...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Wow-they are up to 152 crayola colors? wow! I would be deeply tempted myself. It's just a very...primal thing almost. Crayons were so important to us as kids! Good will power there! I've decided that coloring is a good exercise in learning color theory in general so there you go!

I just thought of a way to color and save money...make some of our own DP...I mean, come on...do we really need to buy striped paper? That's just a ruler and running markers across the paper! Polka dots can be done with stencils. Checks are just heavy duty wide markers going in both directions. Can we trace Dover images onto vellum and color it for cards? Get a 2-fer from coloring!

Just a thought....and if we make it maybe we wont be as inclined to save every scrap...or will make it worse? lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

During a very stressful systems changeover at a previous job, I suggested that we designate one of the empty offices as the "de-stress" room and stock it with crayons, coloring books, and soap-bubble-blowing equipment. The bosses didn't go for it, but several of my fellow employees thought it was a great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm guessing that this is the only place my most recent dilemma can be appreciated:
I was cruising through Target a few days ago and stopped at the "writing instruments" aisle to see if I could find a larger set than the 24-pack of Bic MarkIt markers (a few of my favorites are all used up, sadly) and they had the 36-pack! Then I noticed that they also had a 120-count Crayola crayon box - WHAT?! Never even knew they had that many colors... But wait - there's more! They had a 152-count "Ultimate Collection" set, with a carrier that had a handle and everything! Which to buy? Do I NEED 152 crayons? Need and want are not the same thing... Yeah - I walked out of the store without either of them, but I'll be going back soon - the siren is calling...
I hope you went back and got the 152 pack. If not, get there ... go to pinterest, you will find TONS of coloring pages (just follow my board, hee hee). I just print them on regular copy paper and color for the "heck" of it. I have a drawer full of pages. Some are with crayola pencils, some with Bic Markits and some with crayons. Got for it ... build a blanket fort in the living room, crawl in and color. Oh, take a glass of wine with you because we ARE adults and can have the wine!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #33  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Mindware is another company that produces some really cool colouring books.
Coloring Books For Children That Are Fun & Interesting | MindWare Toys
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

I have downloaded rose coloring pages for my kid, he love to do this activities. I collect the coloring pages from online and take the printout of the pages. My kid would color those and make the frame of that and keep them in his room. I thought to share the link from of coloring pages.

Top 10 Free Printable Beautiful Rose Coloring Pages Online
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I love coloring for fun! Dover has an amazing collection of coloring books but I have many non-Dover coloring books too. You'd be surprised how many they make for us coloring loving adults! Here's some of my collection:

1379266_10151748284604032_1689946091_n_zps39096420.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #36  

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

I used to use Dover coloring books when I taught 5th grade. They have a line of historical books that are a great tool to use when teaching history. The kids would read the paragraphs under the pictures and learn a bit more, have fun coloring and it inevitably brought up more questions requiring more research. The Fashions of WW II book brought up rationing which led to learning where materials to make clothing came from, and how some things were difficult to import during the war and even difficult to make in the US as so many factories and resources were being diverted to produce war goods.

After coloring, the kids made posters and bulletin boards including them along with lots of other things as well. I also got the Dover historical paper dolls to use in a similar manner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Bought lots of those coloring book when my kids were young. I had fun coloring too!
Reply With Quote Likes