Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will SU Copics be available ?

Hi,
Does anyone know (or can anyone share) when the Stampin Up Copic Markers will be available ? I am hostess in my stamp club this month (February) and would love to be able to order them.

Thanks in advance
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Can't wait! I'm not any help, I know...sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

We don't have an official date for them yet. They're called Blendabilities (and are not Copics but are Copic-like in that they are alcohol markers).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how spendy they will be; I got in on the regular copic when they started for some great sale prices. Someone has figured the SU color companions for them, also

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

my su demo told us they will be sold in sets or color families. I like the fact that with Copics you can buy the colors you will use. Also, demo said that she thought they would be refillable but she would check into it. Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Are they refillable?
Reportedly not.

They'll be in sets (shades) of three. I seem to remember that the pricing was $11.95/set. There will also be a set of six skin tones and a color remover; don't recall hearing the pricing on those.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's less than $4 a marker, but only available in sets of three? I will play with them if my demo gets any but that's it. I've stayed away from Copics- too expensive and I do fine with watercolor techniques using SU water-based markers and inks. I feel no need to invest in a more expensive medium for coloring.
SU seems to like offering more and more items in sets, sure hope they don't attempt that with their ink pads and/or refills! Can you imagine? :mad:

Last edited by Cartermrc; 02-19-2014 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

To me it doesn't seem like such a good deal at even $4 a pen especially if they aren't refillable and I can get Copics for $5 that are refillable and the nubs replaceable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #9  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Has SU! released any more information about these or when they will be available?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nothing new to report yet. Still hoping for the end of this month.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

They sound to me like the Spectrum markers sold by A C Moore and such. I bought a couple of them and with my first use they cannot hold a candle to Copic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I will be following this...I'm a die-hard copic person. I know they cost a little more, but I always have a smile when I'm using them...no worry....will SU be the same @ $4......SU does have good products...???.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

If su is going to charge $4.00 each (and in a set, too - not my favorite choice), I'll stick with my copics (4.85 from Carpe Diem). Love Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Update last week said demos could preorder 6 of the 12 colors in the first release color group on May 1. The date for customers is still unknown as they're trying to figure out what the response will be. The sets of 3 are for one color, not for 3 separate. I'm not sure if the people posting above understood that or not. Same concept as Copics that you want a light, medium and dark to make the beautiful blending. So the Cherry Cobbler, for example will come with a light, medium and dark in that shade. I understood why you wouldn't want the group of 3 if you needed to replace 1 marker, but why else would it be a drawback? Everyone I've seen use Copics, uses the 3 colors to shade. I'm beyond thrilled at the price as Copics in my area are $9 each!

I wouldn't say they aren't refillable or that new nubs won't be available as I'm sure that would be something they'd release later probably as it was needed (I haven't heard this! I'm just saying that I think they're seeing how the markers go over before they'd offer additional products). Has anyone refilled their Copics? I've never heard anyone say they did and many sites don't even sell the refills.

Anyway, sorry I don't have a definitive answer for customers, but it will be sometime after the catalog launch on June 1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I have refilled most of my Copics many times and it is very easy. For less than 6.00 you get a refill that will fill your marker many, many times. I only but a refill after I see that I am using that particular color frequently. I do have many colors that I don't use very often so I don't need a refill. I tend to use the medium shades the most. As far as the SU markers go, here are my thoughts. I don't buy sets of anything. I will decide which colors I will use. I won't buy markers that are not refillable. There were many cheaper markers than copics but I chose them because they were refillable. This was the reason I wouldn't buy Spectrum Noir. The price was great, but when one marker in the set went dry what then? I would have to buy a complete new set. I have heard that they now sell refills but where? I have never seen them. I purchase Copics at Carpe Diem for less than 5.00. I am extremely satisfied the that company and with copics. I only wish they would come out with some new colors I haven't seen any since 2012. Happy stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
To me the fact that you can't replace just one IS the drawback and for me it's enough of one to not buy them if they aren't refillable (with refills sold in singles). I use way less of the darker shades than I do the lightest or second lightest.

Also, I would be willing to bet that plenty of people have refilled their copics. I've only ordered from 3 places and all 3 sell refills. I have several pens that are close to needing to be refilled.
Gotcha! It'll be interesting to see if the line expands to refills. I don't mind the markers sold in a set but agree refills sold separately would be ideal. I guess I just never hear the bloggers I love talking about refilling their Copics or how often they have to. I realize they aren't at all the same, but I've had my SU! markers for over 6 years and have never refilled them so I guess I assumed that maybe refilling Copics was only something people who used them in their are jobs daily needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
I have refilled most of my Copics many times and it is very easy. For less than 6.00 you get a refill that will fill your marker many, many times. I only but a refill after I see that I am using that particular color frequently. I do have many colors that I don't use very often so I don't need a refill. I tend to use the medium shades the most. As far as the SU markers go, here are my thoughts. I don't buy sets of anything. I will decide which colors I will use. I won't buy markers that are not refillable. There were many cheaper markers than copics but I chose them because they were refillable. This was the reason I wouldn't buy Spectrum Noir. The price was great, but when one marker in the set went dry what then? I would have to buy a complete new set. I have heard that they now sell refills but where? I have never seen them. I purchase Copics at Carpe Diem for less than 5.00. I am extremely satisfied the that company and with copics. I only wish they would come out with some new colors I haven't seen any since 2012. Happy stamping...Bobbi
I understand where you're coming from. Is there a drawback to buying in a set if they did sell refills? I think better understanding how regular users of Copics use their markers can only help me as SU!'s come out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

For me the drawback for buying in a set is I may not use all 3 colors. And if the refills only come in sets of 3 (I don't know if they will be in sets of 3 or individually, just thinking) I'll be buying refills I may not need. I have markers I use a lot and refill frequently. Others, not so much. I have markers that I wonder what in the world did I think I was going to do with THAT color??? I probably have 20 different shades of pink and I use 4. Maybe I should write a book. Also, I think su markers are going to be in su colors. Matching their paper and inks. I would prefer more of a variety.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
For me the drawback for buying in a set is I may not use all 3 colors. And if the refills only come in sets of 3 (I don't know if they will be in sets of 3 or individually, just thinking) I'll be buying refills I may not need. I have markers I use a lot and refill frequently. Others, not so much. I have markers that I wonder what in the world did I think I was going to do with THAT color??? I probably have 20 different shades of pink and I use 4. Maybe I should write a book. Also, I think su markers are going to be in su colors. Matching their paper and inks. I would prefer more of a variety.
Ok! I'm with you. I guess everyone uses them differently. All of the Copics I have are ones I bought to be sets of 3 (light, medium, and dark) for one color so the SU! concept is exactly the same for me. But if you don't use them in sets of 3, I could see how that wouldn't be optimum. Yes, they will be in SU! colors which is actually exactly what I'm most thrilled about. I found so many different, conflicting reports of which Copics matched SU! cardstock that I'm excited to know for sure and not have any issue with my cardstock not matching an image I spent 30 minutes coloring. Thanks for the info though and for your patience in giving me info on how different people use them. I've seriously only seen a few of the PTI gals use them and Kristina Werner use them and they use them in groups of 3 so I assumed that's what everyone did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I have refilled a lot of my Copics at least once and ruined two nibs when I was pulling them out to refill the marker . I had an iron grip on my tweezers when I was pulling out the nib :(
I would never buy any markers that don't have refills and replacement nibs.
I have refills for all of my Copics except for a few

Although I don't use the dark colors as often as the lighter ones, I found the darker color Copic markers can get gummy . I needed to remove the nib, soak it in alcohol then refill the marker. Therefore it is important to have refills for the dark colors too

Plus there are colors such as yellow that you can get by with only two colors for blending by using the tip to tip method. The idea of having the colorless blender only in a set means they don't realize how often that is used
Imagine if you had to buy a new set of skin colors every time your colorless blend was empty :shock:

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-02-2014 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have refilled a lot of my Copics at least once and ruined two nibs when I was pulling them out to refill the marker . I had an iron grip on my tweezers when I was pulling out the nib :(
I would never buy any markers that don't have refills and replacement nibs.
I have refills for all of my Copics except for a few

Although I don't use the dark colors as often as the lighter ones, I found the darker color Copic markers can get gummy . I needed to remove the nib, soak it in alcohol then refill the marker. Therefore it is important to have refills for the dark colors too

Plus there are colors such as yellow that you can get by with only two colors for blending by using the tip to tip method. The idea of having the colorless blender only in a set means they don't realize how often that is used
Imagine if you had to buy a new set of skin colors every time your colorless blend was empty :shock:
The colorless blender is not in the skin tones set. It is sold separately for $4.95 where the skin tones set of 6 markers is $24.95 (I believe). I was at SU! Leadership when they announced these so I'm not 100% sure on the prices (although I'm sure they're in my notes somewhere) but I am positive that those two things are separate items. I'm with you - if it were in a set, that'd be a real problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Default please keep posting

I am subscribing to this thread. I have resisted buying copics because of the cost and that they did not match SU colors. I was excited about SU finally making alcohol markers, but after reading through these posts, I am not so sure. I hope you will keep posting when they come out and people have tried them, so I can read enough to know if I really want them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had a chance to try them earlier this week at a Stampin' Up! event. I have to say that I was impressed how they blend together (hence the name!) vs. the watercolor markers with which I can never get an even layer of color. The advice given was to color in circles.

The good news for demonstrators is that we will be able to order 6 of the color sets with our preorders in May and the skin tone set when the Annual Catalog goes live in June. However, the availability date for customers has not yet been determined nor have the dates for demos on the other 6 colors.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the update. It is good to know things are moving forward, even though it is a ways off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
I am subscribing to this thread. I have resisted buying copics because of the cost and that they did not match SU colors. I was excited about SU finally making alcohol markers, but after reading through these posts, I am not so sure. I hope you will keep posting when they come out and people have tried them, so I can read enough to know if I really want them. Thanks.
Same here....I never jumped on the copics bandwagon because I never knew where to start! SU would put the shades together for me! I am not sure now either!

Also, I do not have many stamp images that lend themselves to coloring!

I think you all brought up valid concerns. If I can't refill and one dries out I would NEVER buy three to replace the one ;-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

I always have to chuckle when I hear people talk about how expensive copics are. If you register with Oozak the ciao markers are about $3.70 and sketch markers are $4.99. Since they are refillable (I have refills for my most used markers) they are very reasonable in comparison to SU markers. And with Oozak you get free shipping for orders over $50.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
I always have to chuckle when I hear people talk about how expensive copics are. If you register with Oozak the ciao markers are about $3.70 and sketch markers are $4.99. Since they are refillable (I have refills for my most used markers) they are very reasonable in comparison to SU markers. And with Oozak you get free shipping for orders over $50.
I bought my Copic Sketch from Oozak too. He has great prices and speedy shipping
I also have refills for most of my colors.
Marianne Walker said she has some refills that are 10 years old and fine as long as they are kept in a cool dark place . I followed her suggestion and keep my refills in a solid black plastic file tote ( to keep the light out) and in a cool closet of my house.

Each refill bottle will refill a marker 8-10 times . So for around $10 ( marker and refill cost plus one nib occasionally ) I get the equivalent of 10 markers . $1 per marker

If SU makes the markers available individually and offers refills and replacement nibs they may be a good option especially for Hobby Demos who can buy them at a discount .

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

For those want to compare the markers costwise, this is over the life of one marker plus one full refill:
Copic Sketch plus refill costs $10.58 (currently from Oozak)--1 marker plus refilled 12 times=cost $0.81 each.
Copic Ciao plus refill costs $9--1 marker pluse refilled 15 times=cost $0.56 each.

Deb--Copic Beginner and Intermediate Certified
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I was really excited to have the chance to try out the new Blendabilities markers and wanted to share my review of them:
Product Review: Stampin? Up Blendabilities Markers (with lots of samples) | Stamping | CraftGossip.com

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I can easily remove the tip so I think they should potentially be refillable. I wasn't given any info about refills being available just that 6 color sets and the Color Remover are available now and 6 more will be available on June 1st.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

It occurred to me that the new In Colors for 2014-2015 seem to be in the same color range as the blendabilities sets. Wouldn't it be great if each Blendablilties set matched one of our SU colors AND one of the In Colors? Does anyone know if that might be the case?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I tried the blending of colors but eventually decided I did much better by just using the same color on top to darken areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
It occurred to me that the new In Colors for 2014-2015 seem to be in the same color range as the blendabilities sets. Wouldn't it be great if each Blendablilties set matched one of our SU colors AND one of the In Colors? Does anyone know if that might be the case?
The only In Color we've seen so far is Coastal Cabana. Perhaps there will be more when the rest of the colors are released.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

I think they are just stampin up's own line of alcohol markers, and people are calling them copics because that is what they are similar to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Could someone who is familiar with Copics and has had a chance to use the Blendabilities respond to my question, please? I have not used Copics and am waiting for the Blendabilites to be available to the consumer.
When I have watched videos on Copics, it seems that the difference in color intensity of light to medium and dark to medium is far greater than what the Blendabilites appear to be. Would you agree with that observation, or am I wrong. It seems to me that the difference between two adjacent colors is what makes the depth really pop. It seems that the Blendabilites lacks that in what I see in the samples done on Splitcoast. Responses?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they may not be available to customers until August. . . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Did this just recently get announced? I did a review for the Blendabilities and the rep told me they would be available when they new catty went live.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

It's confirmed.

Only the skin tones (neutrals) set will be available when the catalog goes live on 2 June. Price will be $22.95 because there are 6 markers in this set vs 3 in the other sets.

The other colors of Blendabilities will NOT be available at launch. They'll be rolled out (phased in) as SU gets the manufacturing coordinated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I would like to get in on this conversation because I love to color and my favorite medium for coloring is Copics, but I have LOTS of SU! products too. One of the things that is very nice about Copic, is that they don't discontinue colors. Because of that, you can spend a lot of time collecting the colors you want, and the refills for them, and you don't have to worry that they will discontinue the color before you have finished your collection. That way, you don't have to blow your whole budget trying to get the colors you need before they are gone. I HATE SU!'s constant "revamping" of their color lines. Stamp sets are one thing, major color overhauls are another. You know how you feel when you have a favorite shade of lipstick, and you go to buy another tube and its gone? Well, I feel the same way when my favorite ink is discontinued.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

But, I do wish that copics would come out with some new colors. It has been a couple of years - maybe since 2012- since they introduced anything new. I may buy a few blendabilities, not because they are su but because I like the color and it is different that any copics I have. And ONLY if they are refillable and the refills are sold in singles. Happy stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes