Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question permanent glue stick not permanent

I ran out of my snail adhesive and used my permanent glue stick, now the next day all my layers are coming up like they weren't glued at all. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had things come apart eventually with glue sticks but not the next day. The only exception was the kids sticks I bought my son when he was little they never stayed glue and he ended up raiding my craft room for a stick to take to school.

You might try adding glue stick to both sides, some even instruct you to wait a bit before sticking them together. If that doesn't work then I'd say you got a defective glue stick or have had it too long, although I've had some of mine for couple of years and they still work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Stacy. When I attempted to fix my cards I ruined the top layer of one and the base of another, so had to adapt. I'm throwing out those glue sticks as it's not worth the hassle. I'll used my double sided tape until I can get more snail adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never had luck with either glue stick or snail (Tombow). Everything falls apart with these two. I switched to an ATG and haven't had an issue with things not sticking. I'm surprised your stuff is staying together with the snail. I've had to re-do a whole bunch scrapbook pages and literally watched one card fall apart before my eyes that I used snail on. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

@Cat - I haven't had any problems with the snail, but just ordered an ATG gun with refills from Scrapbooks by Design as it's more economical after the initial applicator purchase. I've been using TomBow and then the cheap Dollar Store snail which only holds about 25 metres.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are welcome! I still use sticks on cards for people that I know will not keep them. Why not?! I already have them and the cards don't have stay together forever but then I was really picky about which brands I'd buy to begin with and haven't had fall apart issues. Surprising since I live in NTx where it is very dry and very very hot a good portion of the year.

You have to let us (me) know how you like the gun...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I have never used glue sticks for cards....never really thought they'd do the job. I have had excellent results with Ad-tech snails. Elmer's snails work really quite we'll, but I would never use snails for scrapbooking. I have had cards come apart after a few years that I used snails on

At home I use an ATG. When I go to card workshops I take snails.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had glue sticks work for me. Everything I made with them fell apart.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

The shelf life of adhesives is very short, according to my husband who sells industrial packaging. We are unfortunate in not having any expire dates on adhesives, inks, stickles, markers, etc........I particularly hate that many of my self-adhesive dots and pearls and bling won't stick anymore because I bought them 3 or 4 years ago and they might have been already quite old then, for all I know. How many ink pads have you bought lately that didn't require re-inking on the first or second use? This makes a case for buying all the new Luxe ink pads, if only I were wealthy. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

The only glue stick that worked for me was Duck brand, and of course, it was discontinued, so I can't get it anymore. :( I haven't tried Uhu glue stick, but several famous mixed-media artists say that's the only one they use. There are liquid glues, like Zip-Dry and Aleene's Tacky Glue, that worked for me too, just had to be careful of how much I used. I do use an ATG now, but I run out of refills all the time because JoAnns, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby don't restock the ATG refills often. Or maybe, people are buying it all up when they finally find 'em there. That's what I do anyway (it was just 2 boxes!). LOL I have to have other back-up adhesives available to use, in case I'm out of ATG adhesive again. In the worst case scenario, I used photo corners, brads, and grommets to keep the paper layers on. :P

I joined the Fan Club to get Dirty!

challenging myself to make 100 in 100
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I use glue sticks. I love the UHU brand. I also love Scotch Glue Sticks. I use the higher end glue sticks. I use to adore the Avery glue sticks that Dollar Tree sold. My DT's haven't sold those over a year now. My items I have used glue sticks on are still stuck together and some projects are over a decade old. I live in a high humidity area, if that helps any.

Reply With Quote Likes