Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cricut Explore- PC's New Machine

Provo Craft announced their new cutting machine today. It is called Cricut Explore. It sounds a lot like the Silhouette with the ability to cut fonts and images from your computer. I have both machines and don't feel the need to purchase a new one. I did not see a price on this one yet.

I am a life artist and love it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More information here:

Cricut Presents Explore, the World?s Easiest Design-and-Cut System | Business Wire

Suggested retail is $299.00

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for posting Denise. The price is average compared to other machines. It will be interesting to see what users think of it when it is finally released for purchase.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading the Cricut board this morning and this is what I've gathered. My interpretations could be wrong, so take them with a grain of salt (and please post corrections and/or clarifications!).

Online-dependent design program again -- a new program, not the current one, which already has some users concerned as PC is famous for abandoning products relatively soon after introducing them (Design Studio, Gypsy, Imagine, Cake, etc.). Folks have linked their carts to the current program and, as crummy as it is, are used to using it. Will features and library/store files continue to be updated? Will the new program have the same connectivity/site-dependability issues as the old one?

I have to admit, I'm surprised it's another online-dependent design program. One of the most consistent requests on the Cricut boards, and one that would be very easy to accommodate, is that they make their design program downloadable.

There's concern again that PC will own the rights to anything you upload to their design program, like the current TOU specifies for the current program. The new program allows JPGs & PNGs (though there's confusion regarding *how* these files can be used), so if you create something in your own graphics program and upload it to cut in PCs online-dependent program, have you handed that image over to PC? Under the current TOU for the current program, the answer would be yes.

Subscription upgrade ($9.99/mo or $99/year) to use SVGs (and maybe the fonts on your computer -- the wording hasn't been clear on the Cricut message board posts as to whether users will need the upgrade to cut their fonts).

ETA CricutGena, from PC, says users can cut true type fonts (TTFs) without paying the subscription fee, but using SVGs will require the subscription.

ETA There's some ambiguity as to whether users can import *any* SVGs, or if users can only create & cut with SVGs bought within the new design program.

ETA CricutGena has replied and says users will be able to import their own SVGs (if they pay for the subscription program). I don't know if users will be able to create SVGs and export them, though.

ETA (day after intro of Explore & new design program) Big announcement today that PC is changing its stance and will allow free cutting of your own SVGs.

ETA Currently, digital files and digital cartridges you buy within the online-dependent design program stay online. You can't download them to your own computer. The new online-dependent program will likely run the same way. For ten bucks a month, I'd want to OWN my files, and I'd want to be able to use them even when PC's website is having one of its notorious glitches/meltdowns.

There's a port for cartridges, but the only way to use them will be via the new online-dependent design program, as there are no screens or buttons on the machine for cart use.

Does not print & cut.

Wireless doodad (Bluetooth) will cost $50 extra and will not be available when the Explore launches.

ETA There will be an app "focused on Make It Now projects" available at some point. It's shown on an iPad and Cricut hasn't replied to the question whether it's iPad-only or compatible with all tablets.

PCs current record with new machines is going against them, but there are folks on the Cricut board eager to hand over their $300 ASAP.

Personally, I'd have LOVED a new and improved Gypsy because I have a boatload of carts I still use on an old Expression, and I much prefer the Gypsy to CCR. I'm not interested in another cutting machine and program with so many constraints. And I wouldn't be a first-wave buyer of a Provo Craft machine for all the tea in China!

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 01-23-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I own 2 Cricuts and about 20 cartridges. I like my Cricut but was never able to use CCR. (I spent a better part of 2 days with Cricut support trying to get it to work and it would only work intermittently.) I wish CCR was a program that I could purchase and load onto my computer but that isn't going to happen any time soon! So I bought a Silhouette Portrait and I love it! The cuts are superior to those from a Cricut. I will probably never ever buy another Cricut cartridge but will continue to use what I have. From here on I will purchase cut files from Silhouette.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

It will be interesting to see the HSN debut launch and if it sells out or not. Seems like a lot of folks on the Cricut board are going to watch and wait for those users that have to have it.

Most of us were hoping for a newly designed Gypsy to use with our current machines.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post
It will be interesting to see the HSN debut launch and if it sells out or not. Seems like a lot of folks on the Cricut board are going to watch and wait for those users that have to have it.

Most of us were hoping for a newly designed Gypsy to use with our current machines.
I will not be buying this either..just watching. LOL You have to be connected to the Internet to use the software and cut from your existing cartridges....No thanks! I love my Cameo and still am considering the Brother Scan and Cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

While I have machines that cut better and have much better design software, I do still use my old Expression and do still buy carts once in a while. I use the Cricut a lot at school and love its portability.

The ONLY attraction my Cricut has for me (besides the zillion carts I've invested in) is that, with carts, I can cut without a computer and without internet access. It's so simple that even my kids, and kids in class who haven't grown up with a Cricut in the house, can use the machine with little to no supervision.

Add the Gypsy (which PC has abandoned) to the mix and I can have all my cartridge files at my fingertips and make rudimentary design changes to the cart images, still without a computer or internet access.

The "without a computer and without internet access" is more important to people than PC realizes. The Gypsy + Expression1 combination is versatile and extremely portable. Even the cartridge + Expression1 combo is more portable than lugging along a laptop and finding internet access. Frankly, if I'm going to be tied to a computer and internet access, I'm damn well going to design in a better program than what PC offers and cut on a better machine than a Cricut.

Provo Craft seems hellbent on abandoning the only thing the Cricut has going for it, which is that it's an extremely portable system that anyone with half a brain can have up and running in 10 minutes. Trying to compete with the Cameos/Silhouettes/etc. -- yet insisting upon a closed system that's shackled to the internet, PC's website, and yet another PC design program (all at a fee of $10/mo to use your own SVGs that can be cut for free elsewhere) -- is a recipe for failure, IMO.

A new & improved Gypsy would have been far more welcome than a new cutter and closed/expensive design program that have to compete with all the good cutters and open, affordable design programs that already exist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokiesgalView Post

It sounds like PC has led people astray one too many times. Lots of people taking a wait and see stance this time around, especially since some of what's been promised regarding this machine/design program will not actually be available when the machine launches (wifi/Bluetooth, design app, etc.).

I was really hoping for a new Gypsy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I got caught up in the hoopla this past weekend. I am now going "Ugh! Not again!" If you read 2Peas I am going to sound like "Ugh! Not again!" on this thread. I just posted over there what I think.

I am not paying $10 a month to cut images I already own. That 25,000 subscription library is currently the library I own. Yes, I have about that many. I am a long time Cricut user. It's like my hubby said tonight. Do you think that 25,000 totals all the mats, shadows and blackouts for each cuts. Yes, I bet you it does.

Ten dollars a month to pay to cut SVG's and fonts. Silhouette Design Studio is $50 retail to cut SVG's. I did not do a fact check on that price. It's an estimate. I know you can always get Silhouette Studio for about $35.00 for the deals they run consistently. I own MTC. I don't use the DE. I just use the free Silhouette version. You don't have to rent Silhouette software. It's yours forever after you buy it. MTC & SCAL work on a variety of machines. If you buy it you can cut from all your different machines that are in your collection.

This is what made steam come out of my ears. The iPad app will be coming soon. I have been using the Cricut since it first came out and I have been waiting for several features on the machines that were promised to be coming soon. When the Gypsy first came out I asked when we would be able to unlink our cartridges. ProvoCraft gave me a date when it would happen. It was like three months after the release of the Gypsy. I am still waiting and it's been three or four years now. ! The iPad app will be ready in three to four years. ;)

I thought with a new CEO and his new visions it would be different this time. It's the same thing again. I know I am a customer that is leery of them and this time it really could be different. I rather stay leery and keep my $300, plus $100 for the adapters I need to get everything to work for my crafting needs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default sticking with my Expression

it is truly the best machine they ever made, I love my cricut and use it all the time, 192 cartridges and my gyspy. the gypsy is awesome and I still don't understand why not bring it back. It is a god send and genious invention. Love my cricut (s) and always will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Too little too late IMHO for this new Cricut. I really like my Expression, still a great machine and I will continue to use it. But I really wish I had never bought my Imagine. I usually wait a long time before buying something like that but I got caught up in it all and bought it on HSN (not when it first came out, it had been reduced in price but still too much). I recently got a Cameo because I bought an original Silhouette machine at a garage sale and LOVED it and got the Cameo for my birthday. Unless Provocraft releases its strangle hold on the products, I really don't see them doing well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for all the info! I thought it looked cool but I'm like eh! Not interested but I have an original not updated Cricut expression that I can still use SCAL!

I still love my Cricuts and my cartridges but like others have said I like the portability of it. Provo Craft took our rights away from using SVG's maybe they should just keep it that way and let someone else have that market! Also, I agree with others here that they should UPDATE what they've created already!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Provocative got a lot of negative feedback about the svg/subscription issue. They now say you can upload and cut them for free. That very good news to a lot of people that were still undecided if they wanted to buy the Exploe or not.

I won't be buying it. I'm saving up for the brother scanNcut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Yes, PC now says folks can cut their own SVGs for free, but why buy a proprietary machine & design system (that has some of its most desirable features listed as "coming soon" and not ready at launch) to do something other machines have done very well for a long time?

For many people, cutting SVGs wasn't really an issue. Why? Because for the past few years, while PC was busy hobbling their machines to make sure no one could cut SVGs, crafters went out and bought machines that have proven to cut SVGs quite well.

What has folks in a snit is:

1) You can't use your carts unless you sign up & log into the PC design website, and stay online while you design & cut.

2) You cannot use the Gypsy to create & upload designs to cut.

3) Some very important features are going to be "coming soon" at launch. PC has a horrible track record when it comes to "coming soon" features.

4) None of the existing machines (which PC is now ominously calling "Legacy machines") will be able to use the new online-dependent design program. PC has a horrible track record (echo-echo-echo) when it comes to abandoning an existing product when it brings out a new version (and/or when there are more problems than it wants to fix), and for making the new version NOT backwards compatible, thereby forcing users to buy into the new system if they want to continue using their carts.

5) The obvious drive toward working online and using digital products likely means that stand-alone cutting with carts -- not being on a computer and/or online -- will soon be a thing of the past. Say goodbye to ease-of-use and true portability.

If PC would guarantee that its not turning its back on stand-alone cutting with carts, and that there's something on the drawing board to replace the Gypsy, I bet that 90% of the negative talk regarding the new system would die down. Folks are very concerned about their current products, in which they have invested thousands of dollars. Settle their fears about that and much will be forgiven.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 01-23-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Provocative got a lot of negative feedback about the svg/subscription issue. They now say you can upload and cut them for free. That very good news to a lot of people that were still undecided if they wanted to buy the Exploe or not.

I won't be buying it. I'm saving up for the brother scanNcut.
This is what I am doing also..saving for the Brother ScanNCut!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Meg- I so agree with what you wrote.

I for one would love an iPad app for my cutters. That would fit my lifestyle so much right now. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for it, especially if we have full features. One of my pet peeves is that I don't want to be online all the time with my iPad. I don't like being bugged with online things when I am reading or designing. I turn everything off. There is no way I am going to use PC's Design program with an iPad so I can be online constantly. I swear I don't know what is with this company and their crazy obsession with being online all the time.

Coming Soon! Coming Soon! Coming Soon! Another PC mantra that they are obsessed with that they can't let it go. I was a pcCrafter member. We used this software sold from ProvoCraft to organize our Hugware back in the day. The girls asked for keywords for the program. ProvoCraft said it was coming soon for like two years then they shut the site down for Cricut Craft Room. They also took this software that was buggy as all get out and made it into Cricut Design Studio. I notice these things. The girls asked for features on Cricut Design Studio and it was coming soon. The Gypsy is coming soon. The Imagine is coming soon. Still waiting for the two extra buttons on the Expression to be coming soon.

My favorite from the coming soon. They told one of my friends who is a HugSister they were bundling up Hugware content for the Imagine. That would be coming soon. She got that info from one of the bigwigs at PC. You know darn good and well they weren't planning that. They really hide behind that coming soon mantra.

I swear I am not bashing the Cricut. I really do love the designs. I am just stunned that even with a new CEO and a new restructured company they pulled out the coming soon stance. I wonder if the new Cricut Design Program is based on pcCrafter's Hugware software, ROFL! This coming soon thing for the new Explore just made me snap, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I swear I don't know what is with this company and their crazy obsession with being online all the time.
Oh, this made me laugh out loud! It's so depressingly true, isn't it? PC is so horrifically desperate for control of every single aspect of the Cricut Experience.

I don't buy for a second that they need to have internet-dependent programs so they can keep said programs up-to-date. (This is what they're saying about the new design program, that it's so cutting edge that is has to be in the cloud in order to run properly and stay updated. *insert major eyeroll here*)

Millions of programs & computers all over the world update daily without a hitch. PC keeps everything on their servers so they have as much control as possible.

As for the unofficial company motto ("Coming Soon!") , I can't believe there are people on the Cricut MB -- and if they've been there a month, they should have read enough by now to know better, for Pete's sake! -- who are chomping at the bit to hand over their $300+.

I shouldn't diss them, though, because if PC ever puts out something like the Gypsy, I'd get it -- but not right away. I live in fear that my G will die and I'll have to try CCR again. It was horrible when I tried it. Of course, CCR will probably be history by then. I so prefer the G, even if it's primitive by other design program standards. I pretty much just need to move things around the mat to maximize paper usage, resize objects, flip & rotate, weld... that's about it, really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 12:29 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Meg- With PC stuck in the cloud. I keep thinking about Grand Theft Auto V. There is a catch phrase on one of the radio ads that says something like "Your in the cloud." Every time I hear that phrase I think ProvoCraft!

I don't want to be in the cloud. I know this is silly but when I use Cricut Craft Room I keep thinking PC is spying on me while I cut out a panda bear, lol.

Everything is cutting edge with ProvoCraft. It's so cutting edge they don't even know how to run it, ROFL! Anyone that has some history with that company knows that's true. One time one of the bigwigs sent me an e-mail asking me how to do configure something on the machine. I was just stunned. I am thinking "Shouldn't you know that already?" My husband was like "Aren't they supposed to help you?"

I admit I was really thinking about the new Explore. Right now that fits my needs. I have all my Cricut designs, I can use my SVG's but the best part I can have an iPad app! No more dragging my computer into my art studio. Oh, that would be heaven! Then PC said "Coming Soon!" I blew a gasket and then I started laughing. I was like "I can't believe they are doing it again with a new CEO!" I really believe ProvoCraft has a handbook devoted to the subject of Coming Soon.

You are so brave. I can't even go to the forum and read info. It always reminds me of cats slapping at each other.

I know I am dissing too. We both are in a fun way. I hope PC girls don't think we are attacking them. I am found the whole Explore thing so darn funny and ironic.

I hated the G when it came out. I was trying to play Tomb Raider on it. I would grab my Playstation Portable and start designing. Lay the Gypsy and PSP on the desk and you can get confused really quick. I am using the Gypsy a lot now since I have my computer in a different room. I dread the day she goes too. I had the Gypsy since launch and never had any problems. Of course when I got it I opened it up and started fixing things too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Now that cutting SVGs will be free, the app is what people are talking about.

The big (and very disappointing) news, and it's actually huge news that many people are ignoring, is that the app will only be for managing pre-designed (canned) projects selected by Provo Craft. It will NOT be a fully-appointed design program app. It will not be like a Gypsy.

One of the PC members of the Cricut board confirmed this. The app will be "focused on Make It Now projects." I am totally NOT interested in MIN-type projects. I want something like a Gypsy.

I haven't seen an official PC reply to the numerous posts asking if the not-even-ready app will work on non-iPad tablets.

The app (which some are saying will cost $50, but some are saying will be free) will also require the $50 PC Bluetooth device which, not surprisingly, won't be ready at launch. But that's okay, right?, since the app won't be ready at launch, either.

Print & Cut also won't be ready at launch. It must be an issue the the new design program, as any hardware necessary would have to be in the machines at launch. It sounds like it'll require registration marks and all the steps we currently go through with similar machines.

From the Cricut blog:

What�s the difference between print and cut, print then cut, and write and cut?

There�s been some confusion around these three terms�they�re all so similar! Here�s a quick explanation of these different functions and which of them apply to the Cricut Explore� machine.

Print and cut�This refers to a machine that has a print head and cutting head, allowing it to print out an image and cut it. The Cricut Imagine� had this functionality. Cricut Explore� is not able to print and cut.

Print then cut�This refers to a machine that is able to take an image printed separately like on a home printer, and then cut out the image using marks that the machine understands. This functionality will be available for current Cricut Explore� machines in the second half of 2014.

Write and cut�This refers to a machine that has a cutting head and a head that can accept a pen to write or draw. Cricut Explore� has both of these cutting heads side by side, so it can cut and write at the same time, without changing mats.

***end of blog post

LOVE LOVE LOVE my G and hold my breath every time I turn it on! I updated it last night (crossed my fingers, turned three times, threw salt over my shoulder, put the black cat in another room, etc.) for what may very well be the last time, as I probably won't be buying any more carts. I use my E1+G primarily in locations that don't have internet (it's WHY I got into the whole cartridge system in the first place, even though I had other cutters at the time). The new system is internet-dependent, even to just cut straight from a cart, so it's not for me. I don't want to invest more $$ since I want a cutter than can use carts offline and the Expressions are now on borrowed time. I may even buy a backup.

I'd have been all over a new & improved Gypsy, or even a new & improved Expression1-type machine. (The E2, which I thankfully tried at a friend's house before buying my own, drove me crazy with that tiny screen and all the menus to scroll through.)

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 01-25-2014 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Meg, I heard about the app today and those !@#$%^ pre-designed projects. Sizzix Eclips are you listening? Good! Give me a fully functional iPad app and I will say to you "Cricut who?" That goes for you too Zing!

I am a computer geek. I loved Windows 3.1 very much. I will always have fond memories of it. I have moved on to new and improved operating systems, innovations and technology. So has Microsoft and Apple. ProvoCraft you have to let Windows 3.1 go. It is ok. You will be ok, I promise.

Meg- That Cricut Explore Bluetooth adapter just gets me! The Explore is a new and improved E2. The E2 uses an adapter too.

I have been watching the Sizzix Eclips videos. That new Bluetooth machine is gorgeous. It looks like they are using SCAL for iPad. It seems to be a P&C registration machine. I am a patient person I can wait till Winter. I like the design of the machine. It would fit nice in the layout of my studio. That means a lot to me.

I need iPad support. That is what is important to me right now. I would have thought seriously about a new & improved Gypsy if it had SVG support. I design pretty much all of my files. I want my own personal library to go with my cart collection. I have been happy with this formula for many years. I realize I am not ProvoCraft's customer base. I feel like they want a different customer base now.

Maybe, it's because us old Cricut users left a bad impression on them too, lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I almost get the feeling that this new machine, with all of their cutting edge technology is creating a " do-or-die" situation for ProvoCraft.

They have pretty much burned their bridges with their old customer base by a wave of missed opportunities and miscalculations. If a new (maybe younger) customer base doesn't catch the Cricut fever then I don't know what, if anything, PC can pull out of their hat to save their company.

They sure can't survive on the Cuttlebug and Anna Griffith embossing folders. They have discontinued the Yudo, YourStory, and I believe even the Nifty Knitter looms. Discontinuing the Gypsy was one of their biggest mistakes.

With the Expression, E2 and Imagine now being classified as "legacy" machines their days are numbered. And the last few new cartridge releases are less then impressive.

Maybe new crafters will love the whole "online, closed system, pre-fab designs". But I'm betting they will tire of that too.

Right now, I'm buying up all the old cartridges I have wanted so I can quietly call it quits - and use my carts and Gypsy for as long as possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I think that if PC wants to stay in the game, they need to take a two-pronged approach.

They need to keep their "old school" customer base happy and supplied with top-notch products (machines, carts, and design options). These folks want a computerless, internetless, portable cutting system. They are not Luddites, though, and they want *excellent* products they can use without computers or the internet.

PC also needs to offer something akin to what other companies are offering, and that's a machine that will design & cut with SVGs, TTFs, and also print & cut. Since we're talking Cricut, this machine also needs to design & cut with Cricut cart images.

Frankly, I feel the whole internet-dependent approach is unnecessary and detrimental to the value of the system, but it's becoming a hallmark of PC to control every aspect of The Cricut Experience, so internet-dependent it shall be. However, there should be an option, even if it requires a different machine and design program/device, to design & cut with carts without a computer or the internet. Having this option is the only way PC is going to make all its existing customers happy while maximizing its potential (future) customer base. PC needs to realize that there are crafters, even new crafters, who need a portable cutting system that doesn't rely upon the internet. These folks deserve cutting edge products just as much as those who don't mind being tethered to the internet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Not For Me

I too am very skeptical when it comes to Cricut. I have been using their machines for years and have over $1500 invested in cartridges and digital files. The best investment I ever made was the $250 I paid for my Silhouette Cameo. I love this my Silhouette and the possibilities are truly endless. Just look at the things you can make at svgcuts.com.

PC will not be getting any more money from me. This was the straw that broke the camel's back:
Since I updated my MAC to Maverick, Cricut Craft Room does not work because it does not supported this update. Maverick came out 3 months ago and they haven't been able to fix it. Come on!! And from what I read on their message board no one can get an answer as to when it will be fixed. So I cannot use any of my digital files and can only cut from my cartridges. I couldn't ever get my Expression2 and Craft Room to work with my MAC either. Of course their wonderful customer service said it was my computer's problem. I've never had any problem with my Silhouette and the software that you actually get to download on your computer works like a charm every time.

So if PC can't even keep up with new OS updates, how do they expect us to trust that they will be able to make this new machine and program work for us? I remember several years ago they had on their website a wireless adapter for the Expression which I thought would be so great. I called on this for 2 years quite often and was told that it would be out next month. It became a game for me as I would chuckle each call (and waiting over a half hour on hold) and hear "next month." Well it never came out!

So I will not buy nor recommend this new machine to anyone. I would rather give my money to companies of integrity and honesty, who genuinely care about their customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

sewnmachine- I agree so much with what you said about the younger generation of Cricut viewers. PC really needs them to catch the fever. I just don't see it happening. This sounds like we are old people, lol. I mean to the younger kids. No offense to the older readers.

When the Cricut first came out it was revolutionary because die cutters at the time where so expensive. If you wanted die cuts you had to pay high prices for steel rule dies and then find ways to store them. This little Cricut had a little tiny cartridge that cut hundreds of images. Less than ten years ago paper crafting had not become popular the way it is now. We didn't have much options.

Now, everyone has options. Machine die cutting is here to stay. There is a whole slew of machines on the market to fit each of our unique artistic personalities. I am sure some with catch the Cricut fever. Also the other machines will have users who catch the fever. Over here right now it's Scan-n-Cut.

Which proves the point of different artistic personalities. Stamper's & quilters are following in love with Scan-n-Cut. Scrapbooker's are in love with their Cameo's. Cricut lovers fall into the card making category and crafters who do not want to be tied to computer programs to create. ProvoCraft just took away half of their customer base by their insistence of online.

I keep thinking I can't be the only one that doesn't want my life on a cloud server? Personally for me I don't like using online software of any kind. I don't use online graphic programs. I know there are so many excellent ones. I don't use any of the office programs that are Internet based. I want fully functional software and apps that are not Interent dependent.

merlenesteib- I loved your post. I am so sorry about the MAC/CCR problem. You brought up a great point that PC really needs to think about. If they can not get CCR compatible with Maverick. How the heck are they going to get a reliable iPad app? iPad will pull the app if it's detrimental to their products.

With PC's history of bad firmware updates and glitchy software. Once iPad users start complaining to Apple the app will be pulled. Then what is everyone going to do that paid for the app and adapter that are useless until PC fixes their iPad app that Apple will allow back into their store.

I have a lot of questions about this new machine. PC is giving up a sales pitch and not answering questions. As a consumer who spends a lot on her die cutting hobby I want my hard questions answered. Bosskut can, KNK can, Sizzix can and even Silhouette can answer my questions. Cricut gives us a sales pitch and bad DeJu Vu for us long time users.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I was pretty excited when I first heard about the new unit, it looks so easy to use, improving on a lot of things that bug me. I have a Cricut Expression and really like it - but now after reading that you have to be online to use it? No way. I am a computer junkie, always with the tablet or smartphone doing something, but when it comes to crafting, i prefer to be offline. If there is a cut that I don't have on a cart, sure, I'll use SCAL to cut it, but for the most part, my crafting is about being away from the computer, being away from all the things I have to work with all day, Monday thru Saturday. (Though i may reconsider if i ever come across a Gypsy! LOL)

What's up with it not being backwards compatible??? Sounds just like Apple that doesn't support my appletv anymore (its first generation). Some of us just can't afford to run out and buy the newest items when things break or have a glitch! And when we do, we want to use the accessories we already have! Customer support goes a long way with me - show me support and I'll show you loyalty.

PC is sounding similar to a micromanager.... you can do what you want, as long as I have a say and get to see it first.

Sorry to say, if my Cricut goes, it won't be a ProvoCraft machine that replaces it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, just got off the phone (almost an entire hour) with customer support in regards to a $50.00 credit I had on my account. I had 2 $50.00 credits provided to me since 2013. I used one of them and the other was to expire 2/1/14. I checked last week to verify if the credit was still there and it was with the $50.00 remaining balance. When I went to use it today it showed a zero balance!!! ***??? I called customer support and the gal there said I had used my credit after she had me on hold for a very long time (she seemed like she honestly didn't know what she was searching for in my order history as she kept putting me on hold and saying she was researching).

Last edited by smokiesgal; 03-13-2014 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

smokiesgal, that is so frustrating. I am so sorry you went through that. ProvoCraft just made you waste a day. That's what I call a throttling mood!

I honestly feel more and more they want to drop their old customers or have their old customers move to PC's new way of thinking. I am too strong willed to do that. !

I am sure the Explore is a lovely machine. I hope the direction that PC is going in is successful. The last thing I would hate to hear if PC went under. It always makes me sad to hear of any company going under and people losing their jobs.

I am done Cricuting too. The direction the company is going is not my art style. Way too many beautiful cutters on the market that can fit so many of us to art perfection.

PC have way too many customer service problems and coming soon problems. You know my DH had to call up Microsoft this weekend over an Xbox billing problem. It was a doozy. It took about five minutes to fix it. I buy products with great customer service. I don't use it a lot but when I do I just want seamless and professional.

I remember not even three years ago when I would review all the cutters over here I had a handful I could review for you all. Now, I can't keep up. I love that! I love die cutting. It can drive me bonkers at times. I want specific things that are not even envisioned yet, lol. I waited a long time for the industry to take off. I will say Cricut did make electronic die cutting popular. Thanks ProvoCraft for giving us tons of options now. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

I am NOT interested in this machine but I am curious to see what it does or rather what it doesn't do and how it sounds like Provo Craft is trying to switch gears and make a software using machine. So I will be watching HSN tonight when it airs! Anyone else gonna watch?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

No, I didn't watch. I was gaming and watching the Olympics. I was in my art studio yesterday. I was looking at my die cutter's. I thought to myself I am in such a good place for my machines. I don't need anything else now art wise in cutter's. I am good with my old Cricut and Cameo.

I would still love an iPad app for any machine. I also love my iPad so much I don't want it to blow up either because of bad peripherals. I am going to wait until all the companies come out with an iPad app that has been thoroughly tested then I will buy a machine. If it's the Cricut Explore who wins that race then that is what I probably will get. I have a feeling my next machine might be an Eclips.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I watched a taped version of it when Anna Griffin demoed on HSN today. I worked all day so I didn't see it when it actually launched. I had no intention of purchasing it.

The pre-loaded carts were nice. However, IMO it doesn't justify the cost of the machine or maintaining a subscription. In the demo they mentioned a 3 month subscription. In a nutshell, I was NOT blown away by this machine or the offerings.

I am very happy with my Cameo and other Cricut machines that I have in my craft room. That being said I hope everyone that got an Explore has the best of luck with it and that they share their experiences.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

You didn't miss anything if you missed the 'demo' on HSN! I have Cricuts and I even have an older version that I still cut SVG's with. SHHHH! But they went through everything soooo fast. I don't think the 8000 folks who bought could really know what their getting into. I think they heard Cricut and NEW and link your old cartridges and just bought it. Plus, it was cheaper than any New Cricut on HSN????? I don't think they heard the part that they will NOT be able to use any of their cartridges with this machine if the internet is down or if they are having computer issues. I personally thought it was just ridiculous! I kept thinking about my E2 how it will 'hook' up to the computer and why can't I do the same thing with it? And why won't they update the machines we have! I mean the original Expression has those two extra buttons right??? So is PC going to quit the cartridge business? And what about Cricut Craft Room? They just barely got that up and running, still not MAC compatible and now a new Design Room?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I would never buy a machine that was not demo'ed (sp?) That makes me suspicious now about the Explore. I don't plan to buy it any way, especially at launch. Still, that does not bode well. I hope who bought it at launch gets a streamlined machine and no drama's. Crossing my fingers for the new Explore owners.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft RoomView Post
You didn't miss anything if you missed the 'demo' on HSN! I have Cricuts and I even have an older version that I still cut SVG's with. SHHHH! But they went through everything soooo fast. I don't think the 8000 folks who bought could really know what their getting into. I think they heard Cricut and NEW and link your old cartridges and just bought it. Plus, it was cheaper than any New Cricut on HSN????? I don't think they heard the part that they will NOT be able to use any of their cartridges with this machine if the internet is down or if they are having computer issues. I personally thought it was just ridiculous! I kept thinking about my E2 how it will 'hook' up to the computer and why can't I do the same thing with it? And why won't they update the machines we have! I mean the original Expression has those two extra buttons right??? So is PC going to quit the cartridge business? And what about Cricut Craft Room? They just barely got that up and running, still not MAC compatible and now a new Design Room?
Laurie,
I have been wondering the same thing about Cricut Craft Room. Doesn't make a whole lot of since for a company to maintain two software databases. Look what happened to Designer Software, the Gypsy and the Imagine. Kind of irritates me too that you cannot use Imagine cartridges with the Explore. I guess unless you have a good working Imagine or E2 machine you are toast on using those cartridges anywhere else.

Guess we will have to wait and see where this goes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzfanView Post
Apparently, there are serious complaints about. the HSN sales on Provo Craft's facebook page: Lost orders that can't be found, significantly delayed ship dates, tool kit $30 extra and out of stock, etc.

It's also said that PC won't address any of the major issues. On top of that, Anna Griffin seems to be deleting complaints about the Explore from her blog, so everything looks falsely rosy over there. Typical, shoddy PC operation.
Wow it's deja vu all over again. I can't believe I am going to say this because it's one of those duh things. I still can't get over how this company can not get their act together. They have a whole new management team. It's the same repeats all over again. First it was coming soon & now this.

My heart goes out to all the girls & guys who ordered this machine and are now going through a nightmare scenario. I was really hoping it wouldn't be like that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

I have the Anniversary E2, love it, use it occasionally with the CCR, and have a Mac. I've never had any problems updating or using it, so far, and have a lot of cartridges.

Not impressed with the Explore, don't really want a machine I have to use my computer to cut and design with. I like the flexibility of the cartridges when it comes to classes or crops - call me old fashioned. I can get creative enough with that machine and others I have for my cards and scrapbooks. I sure hope PC won't leave us out in the cold without support either. Nothing is worse that making a machine people are happy with, then dropping it like a hot potato!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I have the Anniversary E2, love it, use it occasionally with the CCR, and have a Mac. I've never had any problems updating or using it, so far, and have a lot of cartridges.

Not impressed with the Explore, don't really want a machine I have to use my computer to cut and design with. I like the flexibility of the cartridges when it comes to classes or crops - call me old fashioned. I can get creative enough with that machine and others I have for my cards and scrapbooks. I sure hope PC won't leave us out in the cold without support either. Nothing is worse that making a machine people are happy with, then dropping it like a hot potato!!
I so agree with you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post

I agree too!

I didn't know they ever got CCR Mac compatible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

I decided to do a blog post I thought you all might be interested in: Why I Won't Be Getting a Cricut Explore !

I hope it's not too snarky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I guess last time I used the CCR was last summer and it worked just fine. I usually just use one of my many cartridges, so I don't mess with it, or I'll go into the craft room to look at something, but all works and looks just fine on my Mac! Also do my upgrades with it, and no problems so far.........
Reply With Quote Likes