Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts
Default NY * 5th Annual Hudson Valley NY Shoebox Swap - 3/15/14

THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

Hudson Valley NY SplitCoastStampers Get Together
Saturday, March 15, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Dutchess County, 2715 Route 44, Millbrook, NY 12545
Join us for a day of stamping fun!

Hope you’re planning to join us at our fifth annual Hudson Valley NY SCS Get Together. Here’s the info:

What is a shoebox swap? This is a fun day that allows you to create a lot of cards in a short time (the shoebox projects), but only having to come up with one great idea of your own! You will bring enough "shoebox kits" for all participants to create your project, plus two finished projects for your shoebox sample and hostess thank you. We will break up into tables and stamp the day away. Bring 14 kits + 2 completed (one for shoebox example, one for hostess).

Cost – $20.00 per person ($21 via PayPal). Your registration must be paid no later than Thursday, February 27. Mail (or e-mail) your registration form and payment to me. There are no refunds, but you may offer your spot to someone else. Here’s what’s planned.

Shoebox Project – Bring your idea and all the supplies (pre-cut but generally not pre-stamped or pre-punched) needed for making your project for the entire group. Quality products and cardstock, such as Stampin’ Up!, is required. A project will generally be a full card, with a minimum of two layers and one embellishment, although non-card projects are also welcome. These projects should not take more than 10-15 minutes to complete. We definitely do not want to discourage challenging cards or cards showcasing “new” techniques. However, if your card is intricate and fancy you may want to pre-stamp or pre-assemble some items for the other stampers. Please provide any special adhesive that's needed. Make these something you’d be thrilled to get yourself.

Prior to the swap day, you will need to create a card and then make a kit for each person, which contains all the supplies, in your shoebox or basket. Put your original card sample, your “kits”, stamps, ink and anything else that is needed but not in the basic supply kit in the shoebox or basket. You may choose to put each kit into a separate sandwich bag. Include written/printed instructions for your card in your shoe box. You will not be demonstrating these, so please make sure your instructions are very, very clear so that even beginners can easily complete your card. On the outside of your box, please put your name so we know who made which project. You may want to cut a few extras in case boo-boos occur. Please label all your supplies. The number of kits needed depends on how many people we get to sign up. In addition, please bring the hostess's copy of your shoebox project completed, as a thank you. I probably won't be able to stamp during the day, and I don't want to miss anything! Bring 14 kits + 2 completed (one for shoebox example, one for hostess).

Swap(s) – These are completed projects that we swap, in addition to the shoebox projects. You’ll know how many to make when we post the final counts, and you’ll have plenty of notice since the deadline is 2+ weeks ahead of the event. You can participate in any one, some or all of these swaps. Joining in at least one swap is strongly encouraged.

* Card Front Swap - Final Count - 11. See post #6 below.

* ATC Swap – Final Count - 8. See post #7 below.

* 3-D Swap – Final Count - 5. See post #8 below.

* Recipe Swap – Final Count - 4. See post #9 below.

* 3 x 3" Notecard Swap – Final Count - 7. See post #10 below.

* Twisted Swap – Final Count - 6. See post #11 below.

Food – We’re going to have sign ups for food, so please indicate on the registration sheet what you will bring to share. Please be specific; don’t just say “food”! Bottled water will be provided.

Garage Sale – Bring your stamps and stamping supplies to sell or trade. Current Stampin’ Up! items must be offered for trade only; you can sell retired items. Sorry but we can’t be responsible for missing items so bring things at your own risk.

Goodie Bags – for everyone! Everyone will leave with a bag of fabulous goodies. The goodie bags will all have the same value with some variations in colors, etc.

Door Prizes – There will be a limited number of door prizes available, by random drawing. Donations from our own group are always welcome so let me know if you’d like to make a door prize donation and what it is. We will, of course, be awarding the +1’s from the swaps.

Gift Swap – This is an optional swap. If you would like to participate, bring a wrapped gift related to our stamping passion. We will draw for those so that everyone who brings one will also leave with one. Value on these should be about $5, and stamped projects are always appreciated! If it’s something you’d like to take home, it’s probably perfect! This swap will be done “Yankee Trader” style. Be sure to include your name somewhere inside so the lucky winner knows who to thank. REMEMBER: Stamping-related!!!

Other Stuff – Please bring your own labeled items for your personal stamping needs, including your favorite adhesive. These are the items you just can’t stamp without, like: bone folder, paper cutter/scorer, scissors, straight edge, stamp cleaner and whatever else you can't stamp without! Did I say adhesive????? Adhesive! You will likely need lots of it.

Make and wear a nametag with your name (and your SCS name) so that we know you on sight. There may be a nametag contest so keep that in mind when you’re creating yours.

Don't forget your camera!

Other things to remember: We're not running a race so SPEED is not the intent of the day. It is supposed to be a FUN day of stamping not seeing whether you can be the first one done. If you're done first, you will have ample opportunity to VISIT with your stamping friends.

Complete the registration form and forward with your $20 payment ($21 via PayPal) by Thursday, 2/27. All funds collected will be spent on the event. Your registration is complete when your payment is received. Hope you can make it!

**I've had trouble updating the registration form on the opening post in the past. Please note we have added a TWISTED SWAP, but it is not on the form. Just write in if you want to participate.**
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3-15-14 POK SBS registration form.pdf (30.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: doc 3-15-14 POK SBS registration form.doc (40.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by hlw966; 03-01-2014 at 04:07 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #2  

Bring 14 kits + 2 completed (one for shoebox example, one for hostess).

Who's coming --
(Remember, registrations/payments are due by 2/27)

0 Heidi - hlw966 - paid - Green Bunny
1 Nancy - njbaker - paid - coral banner birthday
2 Gayla - snowcountry311 - paid - hexagon and flowers
3 Arlene D - arlenevita - paid - Anchor
4 Irene - paid
5 Eloise - rubber obsession
6 Melissa - mrswoj - paid - Hexagon Fun
7 Jean Nauta - Jean28 - paid
8 Bonnie - Inkonmyhands - paid
9 Sue V - paid
10 Deb Cole - doubleDstamper - paid
11 Robin - NYTripletMommy - paid - Challenges
12 Karen - kmk24 - paid - Make a Wish
13 Judy - Judy K - paid - PARTY ANIMAL
14 Rosalia - JustMe427 - paid

Last edited by hlw966; 03-14-2014 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #3  

Swap Etiquette -- Since we will all be swapping at least one item (card fronts, ATCs, 3-D), I found some good general guidelines on SCS. I hope everyone will take these guidelines seriously so that we all make and receive wonderful swaps!

These are also good guidelines to keep in mind for your shoebox project, except that you're providing materials to make a full card rather than just a front and you won't need a "recipe".

1) Quality work -- This isn't about the quantity of layers or embellishments (please do use at least one embellishment and two layers), or whether you are new at this or not. "Quality" means straight cuts with no crooked, fuzzy edges, tears, wrinkles, etc. (unless that is part of the design), attaching your layers straight (again, unless part of your design), stamping images clearly with fully inked stamps, etc. If you make a noticeable mistake while stamping your swaps, turn the cardstock over, or cover with another layer. Last of all, quality means to use cardstock that is a nice weight not some flimsy stuff.

2) "Recipes" -- appreciated but not required. This means: your SCS name; your IRL name; listing the colors, stamp sets and embellishment you used; any techniques or tips you want to include. If you choose not to include a recipe, please include at least your name so we know who made your fab creation. Avery labels work great, but a plain piece of paper or your personalized stamp work just as well.

3) There is no vendor requirement on any of the swaps, although all swaps should have good quality stamps, cardstock, inks, etc. This is not the time to unload your cheap cardstock!

4) Would you like to receive your swap or make your shoebox project? Then it's PERFECT!

Please ask any questions you might have and someone will be sure to answer. We have all made a lot of great friends getting together at these gatherings so we hope you�ll join us at this one!

Resummarizing: Layers - at least two! Dig into those embellishments, give your fellow swappers a real treat! Put those punches to work! Have fun, try something different! Show some pride and put your name on the back!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #4  

Food Info -- Please remember when making/purchasing your food item that you do not need enough to feed an army. There should be a very nice variety coming: donuts - cake - muffins - sticky buns - cookies - brownies - candy - chips & dip - specialty dips - casseroles/main dish items - salads and side dishes - bread & butter - cheese & crackers - fruit - and more. Bottled water and coffee will be provided.

So, my suggestion is to make/bring a "normal" amount not a super size. I am sure there will still be leftovers but everyone should be able to find something they like. If you don't believe that to be the case, please feel free to pack a sandwich. We do have a refrigerator available, outlets to plug in crockpots, and a microwave.

0 24 pk water, coffee, cooler w/ ice - Heidi
1 cookies - Eloise
2 cookies w/ nuts - Jean
3 carrot cake - Irene
4 tortellini and ham cold salad - Bonnie
5 pasta salad - Sue V
6 fruit - Arlene D
7 pulled pork sandwiches - Melissa
8 rolls - Judy K
9 banana bread - Karen
10 cheese/veggie platter - Deb Cole
11 paper products - Robin
12 broccoli/cheese casserole - Rosalia
13 chicken caesar or tossed salad- Nancy
14 Salted potatoes - Gayla

Last edited by hlw966; 03-10-2014 at 02:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #5  

Directions:

From the NYS Thruway, take exit #18 (New Paltz). Past toll booths, turn right at the light onto Rt 299 east (5 miles). At the end of Route 299, turn right at the light onto Rt 9W south. After about 2 miles, take the right exit ramp to the Mid-Hudson Bridge towards Poughkeepsie. Follow Route 44 over the Mid-Hudson bridge and through Poughkeepsie. Continue on Route 44 as it splits to the left about 2 miles after the bridge. Follow Route 44 through Pleasant Valley, past the Taconic Pkwy. The building will be on your left 15.2 miles from the Mid-Hudson bridge BEFORE you reach the town of Millbrook. If you see Route 44A on your left, you just missed it.

Let me know if you need directions from other areas. It is very easy to get to from the Taconic, if you choose that road.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #6  

CARDFRONT SWAP ~ Final number = 11
Please read Post #3 about quality! This is a No Vendor Requirements swap.

1 door prize
2 Arlene D - arlenevita
3 Eloise - rubber obsession -
4 Sue V
5 Jean Nauta
6 Nancy
7 Gayla
8 Karen
9 Deb Cole
10 Judy K
11 Robin - NYTripletMommy

Last edited by hlw966; 03-01-2014 at 04:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #7  

~ ATC SWAP ~

Final number = 8

You can look here for information about Artist Trading Cards.

This is a NVR swap. You can use any paper, embellishments, ink, etc. you choose.

1 door prize
2 Arlene D - arlenevita
3 Eloise - rubber obsession -
4 Nancy
5 Gayla
6 Judy K
7 Robin - NYTripletMommy
8 Melissa

Last edited by hlw966; 03-01-2014 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #8  

3D swaps Final number = 5

0 no +1 door prize for this swap
1 Jean Nauta
2 Gayla
3 Deb Cole
4 Robin - NYTripletMommy
5 Rosalia - JustMe427

Last edited by hlw966; 03-01-2014 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #9  

RECIPE SWAP

Final number = 4

~~ 6x6 Recipe Card
~~ 6X6 base of good quality card stock
~~ At least two layers with your recipe TYPED
~~ at least one embellishment
~~ make sure there is something stamped - All supplies are NVR (no vendor restriction)

1 door prize
2 Nancy
3 Gayla
4 Robin - NYTripletMommy

Last edited by hlw966; 03-01-2014 at 04:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #10  

3 x 3" Notecard swap - Final number = 7

make a full 3 x 3" notecard. Envelopes are not necessary, unless you are planning on decorating the envelope as well. A couple of layers plus an embellishment is a good rule of thumb.

1 door prize
2 Bonnie - Inkonmyhands
3 Gayla
4 Nancy
5 Heidi
6 Robin - NYTripletMommy
7 Melissa

Last edited by hlw966; 03-01-2014 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #11  

Twisted Swap - Final number = 6

Humorous card swap. Card front only is required, unless you need a full card for the punch line. No vendor requirement here.

1 door prize
2 Heidi - hlw966
3 Gayla - snowcountry 311
4 Bonnie - Inkonmyhands
5 Nancy
6 Rosalia - JustMe427

Last edited by hlw966; 03-01-2014 at 04:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #12  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think I can make it as I made a commitment for another weekend in March ... plus hours have been cut and gas is still pricey. Will follow/chat and see what happens before the sign-up deadline.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Sign me up please ..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #14  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
I don't think I can make it
:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbakerView Post
Sign me up please ..
i'm w/her! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

ME! Pick me! I'll do card front and ATC. Woo HOO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #17  

I like you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

right back at you~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #19  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlw966View Post
:(
Me too ... Hoping if I can't go I can manage Syracuse or some other gathering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #20  

You know Binghamton is just around the corner, and there's a car from here going...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #21  
Linking Queen

Lightbulb

Quote:

You know Binghamton is just around the corner, and there's a car from here going...
Thanks but it's too soon ... I'm hoping to pick up hours as coworkers call out sick (inevitable this time of year) or take off to coincide with their kids' school schedules.

May could work so fingers are crossed for Syracuse!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #22  

bumping... where's all my peeps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sign me up, I will do Card Frons and ATC's too. I will bring cookies

Last edited by rubber obsession; 01-22-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

You know I'm in......I'll figure out the additional swaps later!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Bumpity, bump, bump, bump (what I imagine it sounds like on one of Heidi's wild bike races through the woods. ;D )!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

just paid through paypal~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #27  

Got it, Gayla!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #28  

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Bumpity, bump, bump, bump (what I imagine it sounds like on one of Heidi's wild bike races through the woods. ;D )!
Ha! Usually it just sounds like a lot of chain slapping on the frame, unless I hit the ground and the bike goes flying. Bikes falling on rocks can be pretty loud.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #29  

If you fall in the woods, and no one is there to see it, does it make a sound?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

yes. Screaming in pain~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
just paid through paypal~
What??? Gayla got her payment in before me? How is that possible... lol!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

sorry~I won't make it a habit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I am subscribing to this thread. Millbrook is only an hour from me so i am going to see if I can make it. Will just be getting back from Costa Rica that week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

bonnie~ come you will have a great time!
any fellow stampers that can come along? always more fun.
a few of us crazies are coming from utica/syracuse area. yup we're crazy like that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish it wasn't a 5 hour drive :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I am from Northwest CT. Sign me up. I will be asking if any of my friends want to come along. Sign me up for 3 X 3 cards. Let me think.for a day what food I will bring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

welcome bonnie~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 AM   #39  

Got you, Bonnie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #40  

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm working this weekend....not sure if I could trade
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes