Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:37 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Viva decor Inka Gold or 3d Stamp paint?

have only just come across these products on some online tutorials. it seems hard to find out any main differences but I love the metallic look they get with the Inka Gold. I am wanting to use on card stock mainly, for backgrounds with stamping or dry embossing. any ideas which one would be the better to start with? and any favourite color combinations?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never heard of either one of these, but I just watched some you tube videos, and I say get both!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Check Joggles.com. I think she has videos on at least the Viva Inka. I have been temped to buy some. She also has fast shipping if you buy anything from her. Prices are always at least 15% off and there is a sale on some other stuff until tomorrow I think.

edit: I just checked and she does have an inka gold video under tutorials. Didn't see a 3d stamp paint video but it could be there. I did see that she sells Luminiere 3D but don't know if it's stamp paint.

Last edited by arlenevita; 01-10-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't used Inka Gold but I have several of the 3-D paints. I saw a demo at a Scrapbook Expo by Hearfelt creations, bought a couple to play with and then bought several more colors from Franticstamper.com. I don't have a fav color combination but I like Carmine, walnut brown, and moss green.

video

IMHO here are some pros & cons:

Pros: beautiful colors; has a pebbly finish when dry; a little goes a long way; dries fast; blends easily

Cons: dries fast so you have to work quickly; if you apply heavily it can warp the paper a bit; a little pricey; rinse out your sponges as soon as your finished as it dries hard; washes off hands easily.

I love the 3-D paint but I suggest getting a couple of colors to play to determine if you like it. Everything I've used it on has gotten rave reviews.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Goodness, they're such different products! The Inka-Gold is wax-based, and somewhat dry and hard but easily spread with a finger or soft cloth to highlight raised or textured areas on your piece. The 3D paints are... paints, and would have lots of applications, from stamping to stenciling and brushing, etc. Seems like they'd work well together.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #6  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Joggles also has a video about Viva Decor's Maya Gold paint and one of the techinques she demos is stamping with the Maya Gold paint. I'm going to give this paint a try !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0G7x1z4CBA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #7  

LALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..................
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Smile

my New Year resolution to spend less, has collapsed! have ordered some of both the Inka Gold and the 3d Stamp paint! I figure will use them slightly differently so its a good idea to have both!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
LALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..................
IF you are singing is to block out the info about these paints because this thread is leading you to more paint that you want to try/buy, then I'm with you sister LOL LALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...............(but I'm still going to get some of them...........)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Please help anyone?
I have been searching for Viva Decor Stamp Paints but they are sure hard to find anymore. Are they discontinued? Even more importantly, which liquid soluble product might I add to the Viva Decor Inka gold / other colors to soften them up? They are sure harder than what I would like to use them for. I LOVE the seemingly effortless way the Stamp Paints glide and blend together from watching tutorials. Since the Viva Stamp Paints aka Stempel are hard to find and so blooming expensive, I have been looking everywhere (Joann's carries the copper, HeartFelt Creations and Scrapbooking Made Simple carry some but they're like $9 or $10 for one color, and a few other places may sell one or two colors).

I've tried Dick Blicks, Walmart online, Joann's, Create for Less, well, the list goes on and on. So to save money and make a product I have more usable, could I perhaps add something to Viva Decor gold pots like.... glycerin or a different product which would make them more like paint for paper/cards? {Please find a way for me to do this}. I just hate learning about "new" products too late, and then can't find them or the few I find are just too expensive. HUGE AND MANY THANKS to you!!!!!!!! Rosy ♥

Last edited by KonaRose; 11-26-2014 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2014, 04:32 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Franticstamper.com still has a few colors for $6.99.

Most of my pots are drying up and I've decided that I'm not buying any more Viva D�cor products because everything I've bought dried up way to fast.

Since they are water based products I just add water to a small amount to soften it. I only soften what I need instead of the entire pot because I figure it will just dry out again. Not much of a solution - but it's what I do.

It's such a shame that these dry out so fast because the effect is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #12  

Here are a few...
3D STAMP PAINT
3D Stamp Paint by Viva Decor (I got some Inka from them)

The Viva US website is no more but the German site is still open, so they do still exist... if you wanted them badly enough to buy internationally...

MyDecoWorld

I bought a bunch of Inka Gold after the legal kerfuffle earlier this year...
Is that what you're wanting to paint with? I was under the impression that it was wax based...? but I could be wrong there.

Have you tried other metallic paints, like the Lumiere? Those are beautiful shimmery acrylics.
Jacquard Lumiere Acrylics - BLICK art materials
The Exciter Pack is a great little sampler at a nice price.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Thank you so much ladies. I have tried the only other metallic acrylic paints I have, Martha Stewart. I tried to blend two colors on smooth matte cardstock but they just would not blend and pilled up the cardstock. Maybe if I try on glossy. The other thought was since I can't find a big stock of the Viva Decor stamp paints (I checked with Frantic Stamper and they have 2 black, 1 moss $8/each) perhaps I can try the smaller kits of Twinkling H2Os. They appear to be smooth, after adding a bit of water first. Again, thanks so much! You all are fasssst on the keyboard to answer my pleas - appreciate it !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #14  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Try finding CraftT luster and metallic rub-ons. They are similar to the Inka gold; I've had mine for years and years and they don't dry out. I just managed to find two sets on Amazon.co.uk, shipped free to the UK from Amazon.com, and on sale. With the remnants of a gift voucher, all it's costing me is the onward delivery from a UK address .
http://www.amazon.com/Metallic-Paint...craftT+rub-ons
There are four different sets. I'm scraping the bottom of most of the colours in my current set.
On a slick surface I usually spray with fixative, but it doesn't seem to need it on my multi-media stuff.
Treasure Gold Wax is similar too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPZ2N9R1Svo.
DH is looking over my shoulder and says "Hey, we used to sell that". Too right ~ and if I'd known I'd want it now, I'd have bought it at staff discount when I could!! It comes in a range of colours. It has a much stronger smell and is very hard to clean off stencils. But I don't have any issues with it drying out either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaRoseView Post
Please help anyone?
I have been searching for Viva Decor Stamp Paints but they are sure hard to find anymore. Are they discontinued? Even more importantly, which liquid soluble product might I add to the Viva Decor Inka gold / other colors to soften them up? They are sure harder than what I would like to use them for. I LOVE the seemingly effortless way the Stamp Paints glide and blend together from watching tutorials. Since the Viva Stamp Paints aka Stempel are hard to find and so blooming expensive, I have been looking everywhere (Joann's carries the copper, HeartFelt Creations and Scrapbooking Made Simple carry some but they're like $9 or $10 for one color, and a few other places may sell one or two colors).

I've tried Dick Blicks, Walmart online, Joann's, Create for Less, well, the list goes on and on. So to save money and make a product I have more usable, could I perhaps add something to Viva Decor gold pots like.... glycerin or a different product which would make them more like paint for paper/cards? {Please find a way for me to do this}. I just hate learning about "new" products too late, and then can't find them or the few I find are just too expensive. HUGE AND MANY THANKS to you!!!!!!!! Rosy ♥

I saw a youtube video and I wish I could remember whose it was to give credit here. To soften up her pot of Viva D�cor inka gold, she put a folded up baby wipe in the pot and left it in there for a few days. I tried it myself and it did help a little bit, so now I just keep a baby wipe in the pot. It doesn't get moldy or anything so no worry about that. It really doesn't soften the Inka gold enough to "paint" consistency, but it will spread more easily with your finger or a sponge.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Joann's sells it for $7.99 right now - but it's available online ONLY: http://tinyurl.com/p7brq6w

The good thing about Amazon is the 50% off one regular priced item coupon for this week.

Amazon has it for about $8.65

Last edited by Mzteaze; 12-02-2014 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: fixed link to Joann's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MzteazeView Post
Joann's sells it for $7.99 right now - but it's available online ONLY:

The good thing about Amazon is the 50% off one regular priced item coupon for this week.

Amazon has it for about $8.65
Does anyone have the amazon code? I can not find it

thanks for the help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
Does anyone have the amazon code? I can not find it

thanks for the help?
My post is mistaken, I'm sorry as I can't fix it. It should say that JOANN'S has a 50% coupon code. It's right on their website. Sadly you can't use the code AND the one for shipping in the same transaction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Dini, you mentioned a "legal kerfuffle". did that have something to do with their US distributor shutting down?
I have tried the 3D stamping paint - or tried to try. It was dried out and unusable even though I had just purchased it. Thankfully, I was able to get a refund. But I was bummed that I couldn't play with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Hmmm...I liked what I saw on YT but hearing about the product being useless and drying out before you can use it makes me want to scratch it off of my try-soon list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #21  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Walmart online has several Viva Decor items including 3D paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Amazon has a bunch of colors of the 3d paint AND inka gold. I worked for the US distributor for awhile and I really do LOVE their products but they do dry out or mold super fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Have you tried other metallic paints, like the Lumiere? Those are beautiful shimmery acrylics.
Jacquard Lumiere Acrylics - BLICK art materials
The Exciter Pack is a great little sampler at a nice price.
Have you used this product?. Can you use it in the same way that you use Viva Decor?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

well its nearly a year since I asked the question on which was better Inka Gold or the 3d stamp paint. where did that year go?? I ended up buying both in a few colours and although I liked the effect of the Inka Gold I have not really used it that much in the end, and I do find problems with it drying out. in fact one was completely dry when I received it. the 3d stamp paint I do like and use it to make glitter card stock for backgrounds etc. I must add about the same time I also bought some Sparkle Medium from Imagination Crafts. I bought it online I think from UK. anyway I do love that. it is a different product from 3d stamp paint and the Inka Gold - am using it with stencils and I had great success with Christmas cards. my favourite colour so far is the Sage green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Inka Gold

Inka Gold - 15.5 grams (small but goes a long way) $2.99 and available in 20 colors. The Paper Hollow in Michigan sells. Just watched a demonstration at the Heirloom Productions convention, bought the silver, and was sent home with a sheet about them:
Inka Gold is a water based and beeswax product. Perfect rub-on or for painting. Using a finger, dauber or ink pod dip into Inka Gold and rub on item in circular motion. Buff with something soft to bring out the shine.
Reviving dry Inka Gold: Add water; bottled or distilled, to the jar. Break up into small chunks with a craft stick and let water absorb into product. Stir and keep adding water as necessary until it becomes smooth enough to work with (could take up to 24 hours)
This link takes you to a page showing the colors: www thepaperhollow com
Online Store
I think you have to scroll down to see-order them
Colleen
PS I am not affiliated with them, although I have been to their store a few times and have bought a few products from them and think they are wonderful folks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #26  

I'm glad to know it's still out there - it was difficult to find for a while, and I stockpiled. Walmart.com carries the large size (62.5g) of Inka Gold in several colors for about $6. It's $7 at Joann.com.

Thanks for the info about reviving, Colleen!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I'm glad to know it's still out there - it was difficult to find for a while, and I stockpiled. Walmart.com carries the large size (62.5g) of Inka Gold in several colors for about $6. It's $7 at Joann.com.

Thanks for the info about reviving, Colleen!
It's a fun product to play with, especially with stencils or over an embossed item - makes the raised areas look lovely!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone following this thread who may want to get a metallic look on paper, Jennifer McGuire just posted a video with a really great effect using Distress Inks and Perfect Pearls powder and embossing folders — stuff you may already have on hand. Love her for that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
For anyone following this thread who may want to get a metallic look on paper, Jennifer McGuire just posted a video with a really great effect using Distress Inks and Perfect Pearls powder and embossing folders — stuff you may already have on hand. Love her for that!

I saw her great video, and wondered about doing the same technique only with the Viva Decor Inka Gold colors. I have so many of them, I figured it should work the same way; I could blend two greens, blues or purples, etc., buff the colors, emboss, and voila!! It should have that same metallic effect, right? I just need to get them out and play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I carry a similar product to the Inka Gold. It is Creative Expressions Metallic Gilding Wax and it comes in several colors in small 10 ml. jars. Great stuff for adding accents and works on several surfaces like paper, wood, etc. I love using it with stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #31  

I have 1 pot of that - it's beautiful but it does have a very strong smell.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I have 1 pot of that - it's beautiful but it does have a very strong smell.
Yes it does
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2015, 04:44 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Ack! I haven't used my 3-d paints since Christmas and I just checked them and 4 out of my 6 jars are completely hardened. Darn, Darn, Darn!!! Also one of my Viva D�cor Modelling Creams is also dry. These were stored in a drawer away from heat. I bought them Nov 2014 so they aren't that old and as hard as they are, they probably started drying out right after I used them.

I've had other problems with Viva D�cor products and the customer service response was not to fix the problem but tell me how their other customers liked them. I think that I'm done with Viva D�cor as a brand for me.

I'm going to add some water and let the paints soak for a few days and maybe they will come back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I'm going to add some water and let the paints soak for a few days and maybe they will come back.
Come back and let us know how you get on please
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2015, 02:04 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedWitchView Post
Come back and let us know how you get on please
after 24 hrs they are still hard as a rock. Will let you know more in a few days :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2015, 04:22 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Stamphappy. I look forward to your further observations!

I just had a word with a local retailer (I am in the UK) and they reckoned adding water should do it, but I am yet to be convinced. I know it works for the Inka Gold, because I have done that myself, but I don't want to make a fairly substantial outlay for 3d paint if it's going to go rock hard
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

Here are my test results of trying to save my 3-D paints:

Carmine (red) is solid and adding water and letting it sit for a few days made no difference. You can see where the water is just sitting on top and the cream has not softened at all.

Teal was almost a solid and I was able to re-constitute most of it but I still have some solid chunks that won't mix in.

Purple was thick but no solids and I was able to re-constitute back to normal.

I also tried microwaving one of my solids and after 20 seconds all it did was make it a soft rubber. So I'm doing another test where I took some of the thick paint and put it in a silicon mold to see if it will make a nice embellishment. I figure the drying time will be several days.

Lesson Learned: If you buy the paints, you either need to use it all up in a few months or have a maintenance schedule where you check the paints every couple of months and add water if needed.

FYI: the paints were stored in a drawer away from heat and the jars were sealed properly.

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Viva decor Inka Gold or 3d Stamp paint?-2015-08-18-07.28.03.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I can't thank you enough for this! You just saved me the best part of �85!!!!

I have no intention of buying something that I need to make sure I open regularly and top up with water, especially when that information should be made available to a purchaser at the point of sale, and not have to find it out from some other poor soul who has learned the hard and expensive way that these paints are not fit for purpose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

TwistedWitch - Glad to help. It was upsetting to throw out 4 jars Arrgh! :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 12:48 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just bought a jar of the viva 3d stamp paint. Thanks to the info on here, I will try storing it with the jar in a ziplock bag. I'm thinking the screw top jar isn't airtight.
Reply With Quote Likes