Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it really mine? Suggestion for greens?

Being new to cardmaking and scrapbooking I find that I often find inspiration from looking at cards and layouts others make and then I incorporate that into own project.

It always comes out looking completely different, but I always feel like I�m cheating. Usually I follow a pattern as far as the layout of the card or the layering of patterned papers. Maybe I see some colors I like and think up my own card, but it just still feels like cheating because I couldn't come up it with it on my own. So it makes it hard for me to accept when people compliment my cards. Do you consider that cheating?

Suggestion need also. I'm making a wedding card for one of bestfriends. Her wedding is done in tones of olive green, taupe, and beige. Does anyone know any papers/pads with these colors? I want to do something special. I was thinking maybe DCWV Linen Closet, but it's more blues than green. I have it in a 8x8.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #2  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leona2025View Post
Being new to cardmaking and scrapbooking I find that I often find inspiration from looking at cards and layouts others make and then I incorporate that into own project.

It always comes out looking completely different, but I always feel like I�m cheating. Usually I follow a pattern as far as the layout of the card or the layering of patterned papers. Maybe I see some colors I like and think up my own card, but it just still feels like cheating because I couldn't come up it with it on my own. So it makes it hard for me to accept when people compliment my cards. Do you consider that cheating?

Suggestion need also. I'm making a wedding card for one of bestfriends. Her wedding is done in tones of olive green, taupe, and beige. Does anyone know any papers/pads with these colors? I want to do something special. I was thinking maybe DCWV Linen Closet, but it's more blues than green. I have it in a 8x8.

The Lakehouse paperpad (6.5 x 6.5) from Kaisercraft might be a possibility. It appears to have some nice olive colors. They also appear to have a Precious Moments 12 x 12 pad. It just depends on whether the olive is the "right" olive you need. Anna Griffin has lots of elegant paper too. Not sure whether she has anything sized appropriately for card making but there are some papers in the Camilla collection that might work for you.

There is an acronym used widely that should put your mind at rest about "cheating": CASE. According to the acronym list here (which you might find very useful) it means to copy and share everything. However, I always thought it stood for copy and selectively edit (meaning take someone's idea and tweak it).

If you look in the gallery you will see many people referencing other people's creations that they have CASEd. It's a great way to hone your crafting skills and learn new techniques. In fact, there is an entire challenge here on Splitcoast based on CASEing called Featured Stamper Challenge . The most important thing to remember for CASEing is to always give credit to the original stamper.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I don't know that anyone has anything truly original any more. I mean - there are only so many color combos, so many layouts, stamps, dies, punches, etc. Also, when we look at a gallery, we cannot not inspired by something that sticks in our minds. How you choose to put it together (using different papers, different stamps, slightly different layout, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
I don't know that anyone has anything truly original any more. I mean - there are only so many color combos, so many layouts, stamps, dies, punches, etc. Also, when we look at a gallery, we cannot not inspired by something that sticks in our minds. How you choose to put it together (using different papers, different stamps, slightly different layout, etc.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. After looking at oodles and oodles of gorgeous cards for so long things must stick in my head. So can anything really be original anymore? if I purposely was inspired by a particular card, then I will mention that card or Creator. But I am sure there have been times when I thought everything was my idea, but in reality I may have seen something like it before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks! I was worried. I didn't want to feel like I was stealing from anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't ever feel like your stealing from anyone. CASE'ing is how we learn. I don't really CASE a lot but I did the other day for a holiday card. I was just so excited to find something because I was stumped. I learned some new techniques. My card turned out differently than the original author. Completely grateful to the lady for inspiring me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

As lylacfey says, we all use CASeing to learn. Being inspired by someones artwork is a compliment to them. It only becomes a problem when a card is slavishly copied exactly, then passed off as the second persons own work. I often see cards that inspire me, both here and on Pinterest, and if I base a design on someones work I've seen, I will make that clear in my blog post, and generally try to link to their post that did inspire me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We all get inspiration from others! CASE is what we call it--depending on your interpretation-- copy and share everything...

If you still need to put it into perspective, ask yourself this: Did I just make a great cake, meal, dessert and did someone compliment me? Yes! Did I invent the recipe with no help or recipe or idea that something has worked together in the past and was a good combination? Likely not. If you make it, you get to be proud of it. You wouldn't feel guilty taking thanks for a good meal you made unless you literally took it out of the take out containers and served it as your own

Don't give it another thought
Reply With Quote Likes