View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #73
missiowa81
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Bill was supposed to have a conference call at 8 a.m. He forgot about it! That has NEVER happened. Since it was a conference call there is a chance no one actually missed him

How scary and sad for your mom's friend ! Hope she is okay. Julie's best friend's mom was in the hospital before Thanksgiving. Blood clot in her leg and a few small ones in her lungs (or near there). She was at the doctor this week and she still has some but the meds are working. She is out of work at least another week or two.

Since my kitchen is blue and white, I'm now thinking I'd like a few snowman things to decorate in there for the season. Of course, now that I'm looking for things, I can't find them. I know I saw a few items last year. Oh well, I don't need it or need to spend the money.
I bought most of my Christmas stuff back in the 1990s, when I had my own place to decorate and the money to do it. Many items were purchased in the Amanas (German settlement near here) or at arts and crafts shows, so they're unique or hand-crafted versus mass-produced. And of course many of them are vintage style. There used to be a year-round Christmas store in Main Amana that had all kinds of pretty things, some by local artisans.

Then I went about a decade of no decorating at all or minimal decorating--and no tree. Last year was the first year that I put up a tree in a long, long time (bought the new skinny tree which I love). And I bought three Czech glass ornaments at the museum last year. I'm going there this weekend and may pick up a couple more. They're kinda pricey so it will take me a while to build up a collection.

I talked to my mom last night; she had a few updates about her friend. I guess the surgeon was more optimistic after the surgery than he was going in. The clot was on the outside of her skull (?) which is not as dangerous. And apparently even though she's in a light coma, she is responding to people. So they're hopeful that she'll recover.

What's ironic (in a good way) is that the paramedics who answered the call were the same ones who were at the car accident she had earlier in the day. And they recognized her. As soon as they knew that, they rushed to get her to the best trauma center.

They think maybe her getting hit by the airbag caused the clot??? I think that's a good reason to go to the ER and get checked out after an accident even if you "feel OK."