Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gelli Plate pointers?

I've seen so many pretty cards with Gelli plate bgs. I didn't buy one yet, but I made a homemade gelatin plate. Any tips on paints, paper etc before I get started?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

If you're using the homemade gelatin plate, your best bet is Speedball Water soluble block printing ink. For paper while you're practicing, just get a ream of cheap cardstock at Staples or WalMart. For more permanent art pieces, I use Canson Mixed Media paper.

You're going to have sooooo much fun!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well the Canson papers were BOGO and there was a sketch pad 75% off because it was pulling away from the cover so I've got paper now. Unfortunately, they didn't carry the inks and I didn't have time to travel on to the next craft store, but I did pick up some pretty stencils so once I grab some ink I'll be ready to go! Thanks for your help Lydia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #4  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You ARE going to have so much fun and monoprinting is VERY addictive in a wonderful way. If you don't already know, there are a bunch of videos on YouTube by folks who monoprint using homemade gelatin plates.

I saw an interesting video the other day which showed how to monoprint using encaustic wax which I had never heard of or thought about before. Of course I have digressed now and this info has nothing to do with a gelatin plate but it at least it is related to monoprinting LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A homemade gelatin plate has a surface that's a little "wetter" than the commercially available Gelli Plate, so I get why UnderstandBlue recommended the thicker block printing ink, but really, any old acrylic paint will do. Especially for your first attempt and/or playing around to see the various effects you get with your stencils and other mark making tools, just experiment with your old acrylic paints - either the tube or bottle kind.

I made a couple of the homemade ones, but found I could only work on one for about a hour before it started breaking down from being worked at room temp, plus they only last a couple of weeks in the refrigerator before they get moldy, so I invested in a Gelli plate and have not regretted the purchase.

As far as paper, cheap works just fine. I use recycled paper from junk mail, maps, dictionary pages, etc - especially for the second, ghost print. Deli paper works well too and the translucency of the paper makes for some cool effects. Just don't use glossy paper.

Have fun playing - as others have said, it's very addictive!

StoneFX
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
123scrap (04-19-2023)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had never heard of this technique until I read this post. How long does a commercially made plate last and are they expensive? I'm off to search online but if anyone has a good site to recommend I'd appreciate it.
How do you tell which cards are made with gelli plates?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billie AnneView Post
I had never heard of this technique until I read this post. How long does a commercially made plate last and are they expensive? I'm off to search online but if anyone has a good site to recommend I'd appreciate it.
From what I've seen, the commercial plates are not actually gelatin but a plastic. If you search in the gallery using the keyword gelli plate you should get results!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

If you check out Mutnik's gallery you'll see a whole bunch. In her most recent one (at time of posting this) she has three different prints as the backdrop of her card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Here's a link to the Gelli Arts fb page
And here's a link to the splitcoast keyword Gelli gallery Sabrina is right, Mutnik has a bunch in there and also Hobbydujour. Their cards were what got me looking at the technique in the first place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Default cost of gelli plate & tips

I bought a 6x6" one (about $20 i think) and LOVE it. I've only played with it once or twice so far but it is very addictive & you learn to view things around you in a whole new way. I really wanted the 9x12 one ($30? maybe) but it was out of stock & i was told the smaller one is the best way to start.

I have purchased a couple of stencils but am having wayyy more fun with household stuff. My 14 year old son had a bin of toys & misc junk to go to thrift store... i found a plastic air hockey circle thing, an "eagle in flight" type of resin bird (great zig zags on wings), a toy car (run the wheels thru paint for parallel lines). I used the plastic liner from my prisma color tin, cut the edges off so i can rest all the little lines on my plate for an awesome background. I have bubble wrap in two bubble sizes and a whole bunch of other things i've picked up around the house that i have yet to play with. You will find you view EVERYTHING differently, in the grocery store, craft store, thrift store, etc. Everything becomes texture & design and "what can i do with THIS." :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

They should last indefinitely as long as you take care of them - don't use anything sharp that could nick the surface, don't place on a textured surface, don't use ink, re-inkers, sprays, etc. (which can stain), don't use glossy paper. Just cover with the included plastic sheets when you're done and store at room temp - no need to keep them in the fridge. I have the 8"x10" size, which was $30.

Lots of good info on the Gelli Arts website:

www.gelliarts.com/

StoneFX
Reply With Quote Likes
KC Hadley (04-19-2023)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

mamaxsix, cook22, Thank you for the information and links.

missy3840, Funny, the same things you use for imprinting I use for imprinting in decorative cement work.

stonefx, I did check out Gelli Arts and think I'll start with the smaller plate. Why no glossy paper?
Thanks everyone for all the information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #13  

GelliArts YouTube videos are short and sweet with some really awesome techniques.

Here's the url to their YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GelliArts?feature=watch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #14  
Easily Inspired

I love my gelli plate. I have found you can print on anything just about. At first I thought I could only use cs but have discovered delli paper and regular paper works just fine.

My favorite tool is my potato masher, makes really cool designs. I too look at things differently now, thinking what design would that make.

I went to Istencils.com and purchased some stencils. Plus I have made some of my own, saw a YouTube on it. I do find that misc. objects work best for me. Plus a few catalyst tools make fun designs......can you tell how hooked on the gelli plate I am?! hehe

I have also taken a couple of on line classes on gelli plate printing. Look up Juli Balzer and CarolynDube they have some great videos to follow.

With all the prints I have been making ,it has ben fun using them in various ways on my cards and not just as bg. I hope my cards and this reply inspires you to making some Gelli Prints. Just beware, it is very addicting but oh so fun. They are all one of a kind too.

Just a little hint...or two....you don't have to clean the plate off in between prints. Infact some of my best prints were made on a dirty plate. AND the ghost or second print is usually the coolest.

Have fun! Share what you make! :0)
2010 DT for Rubbernecker Stamps
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
123scrap (04-19-2023)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #15  
Easily Inspired

I love my gelli plate. I have found you can print on anything just about. At first I thought I could only use cs but have discovered delli paper and regular paper works just fine.

My favorite tool is my potato masher, makes really cool designs. I too look at things differently now, thinking what design would that make.

I went to Istencils.com and purchased some stencils. Plus I have made some of my own, saw a YouTube on it. I do find that misc. objects work best for me. Plus a few catalyst tools make fun designs......can you tell how hooked on the gelli plate I am?! hehe

I have also taken a couple of on line classes on gelli plate printing. Look up Juli Balzer and CarolynDube they have some great videos to follow.

With all the prints I have been making ,it has ben fun using them in various ways on my cards and not just as bg. I hope my cards and this reply inspires you to making some Gelli Prints. Just beware, it is very addicting but oh so fun. They are all one of a kind too.

Just a little hint...or two....you don't have to clean the plate off in between prints. Infact some of my best prints were made on a dirty plate. AND the ghost or second print is usually the coolest.

Have fun! Share what you make! :0)
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

mamaxsix, cook22, Thank you for the information and links.

missy3840, Funny, the same things you use for imprinting I use for imprinting in decorative cement work.

stonefx, I did check out Gelli Arts and think I'll start with the smaller plate. Why no glossy paper?
Thanks everyone for all the information.
This was recently posted on Pinterest: Gelli Arts� Plate Care Alert! Please stay clear of all 'glossy' papers. The glossy paper will adhere to the plate and damage to the printing surface can be done in trying to remove the glossy paper :(. Please share with your Gelli printing friends! Thanks from the Gelli Arts Team!!
Reply With Quote Likes
123scrap (04-19-2023)
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneFXView Post
This was recently posted on Pinterest: Gelli Arts� Plate Care Alert! Please stay clear of all 'glossy' papers. The glossy paper will adhere to the plate and damage to the printing surface can be done in trying to remove the glossy paper :(. Please share with your Gelli printing friends! Thanks from the Gelli Arts Team!!
I was wondering if that was the issue-I was thinking about when I've printed on cheap photo paper and it seemed like the ink had interacted with the paper. I also thought it might have to do with drying time, but thanks for the alert!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I've just saw this thread and wondered what a gelli plate was, wish I hadn't looked because now I want one. Looks a bit expensive in England, I've been watching on YouTube and they look like great fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

mamaxsix, See what you did to me and Jan31, lol. At least I can buy one here so now you have to talk Jan31 through the steps to make one at home.
Jan31, I love looking at some of the interesting subjects but this forum is going to kill me. So far I've ordered a gelli plate for this printing technique and another thread has me buying wool and needles for wet felting. I only joined in March.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh poor you Billie Anne, look how long some of us have been here, think how much we have spent over the years, lol. I must admit to being quite excited at seeing something new, I really want one but I might have to wait until next year when we visit our son in San Francisco, they are so much cheaper than England.
So can you only use acrylic paints on them? If so that's MORE expense, still it makes a change from buying dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry duplicated post again

Last edited by jan31; 05-02-2013 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Duplicated post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #22  

Acrylic paints are one of the primary mediums to be used on the gelli plates, so get your wallet out (again) bwahahaha.

Being an enabler is 'enabling pay it forward' because I have been enabled plenty by the many talented enablers on SCS (and I thank them for it) ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #23  
Easily Inspired

You can use pretty much any type of acrylic paints. The cheaper ones tend to dry faster so you have to work faster and don't get as many pulls or prints. BUT to fix that you can add an extender to your paints so it slows the drying time. Hope that helps.

Sorry about my duplicate post above, it wouldn't let me delete the second one.....or I couldn't figure out how to. hehe :0)
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

I thought the duplicate posts were the second prints....
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (04-24-2023)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can see my wish list growing even Longer. Pity I didn't see this before my DS2 flew in last weekend he could have carried one over in his luggage.
I have been quite engrossed watching this technique on you tube, got my brain whizzing round on how I could use this on my cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

What is going on with these duplicate posts, can't seem to delete it.

Last edited by jan31; 05-02-2013 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Jan, Other people have been getting double posts too.
Double Posts?? by vz5dzh at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

So I see, thanks Billie Anne.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

This sounds like fun...how do you make a homemade gelli plate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #30  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Here you go:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Sorry... testing here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Another Test

Test
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

Another one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

I'd like to thank all of you that shared links, tips and ideas. Now, could you send money to support this new addiction...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DH tells everyone he is so pleased I save him so much money making cards!

Forgot to say thanks for the video, if I can get gelatin over here I will have a go when our family leave.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Had only vaguely heard of this, but didn't investigate as I have done mono printing before on glass and was happy with the results, but one of those things you forget about with all the other things out there. Watched the video and got excited again about monoprinting, but would really like to hear from those who have done it both ways as to the advantages of the gel over glass. For that matter, would the carving rubber that I get in 9x12" blocks work just as well? Trying to be thrifty without giving up quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Never thought of glass, might give that a try, do you still use acrylic paints ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Talking

Jan, STOP, STOP. Never mind, go ahead. I just realized I have tons of plexiglas in the greenhouse. If I can use that at least I'll get off cheap this time. So how do you do this glass printing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan31View Post
Never thought of glass, might give that a try, do you still use acrylic paints ?
I used acrylic paints and some left-over water-based block printing paint. On rubber, I used inks as well. Still wondering about the large slabs of rubber I use for carving. They are flexible like the gel and about the same size/thickness. Need to find some time to play.
Reply With Quote Likes