Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hallmark cards

I live in the KAnsas City area and home to Hallmark. There was an article in the paper today telling of how they are having to change their product focus because the younger generation does not buy cards as in the past. what do you think? I don't buy cards anymore.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't buy cards, because I always make mine. But I think a lot of the younger generation loves to send the E-cards. That might be what's happening in the younger market.

If they can't do it from their phone, they ain't gonna do it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course I make all my cards and sell them at summer markets. I used to be in love with Hallmark stores. It is kind of sad that sending a card or a letter is going to the wayside.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not into eCards-- I won't open them (too many viruses disguised as them). But I do think the rise in electronic media has sort of caused cards to go by the wayside because there's so much less formality to communications these days.

But, on the other hand, if I see one more hallmark card with a picture of a dachshund and a punchline about playing with a wiener, or one more birthday card for my dad with a fart joke, I'm really not going to be sad about them going out of business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I would hate for Hallmark to go out of business. I grew up in Kansas City practically living at Hallmark. My Mom wrote a lot of their poems. I have fond memories of the Crayola place they use to have for kids.

I do agree with what Hallmark is seeing. I also think they need to change their mindset on how they run their stores. The stores still have that 1980's feel. The staff is still trained like they live in the 1980's. The stores are still setup that way too.

I do still buy cards. I can admit it I buy cards more than I make them. I buy the cards for my own collection. I buy cards for a relative who likes to use them in her own artwork.

I don't send e-cards. Most of my friends never read them or even cared

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I do still buy cards occasionally, but normally in multipacks (e.g. Thank You, Just Because, Birthday, Christmas) so I always have them on hand. Some ppl just don't appreciate all the hard work that goes into a handmade card! ;) And if I'm desperate for a card I know I have some easily accessible.

I agree though that people don't tend to buy cards as much nowadays. For my birthday I'm lucky if I get more than 3 cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree that the younger generation won't do it if it can't be done from their phone/pad. I too have stopped opening ecards because of viruses but I think the younger gen just accept that that is a part the electronic age.

I have noticed that Hallmark has tried various things to bring in more business. I love the singing cards and do buy those occasionally. I wondered what ever came of the cards that had postage already included, having worked retail in the past I saw that as a shoplifers dream. I even remember an ad for card making kits, never did get around to checking those out.

Actual Hallmark or other company stores are harder to find these days as well. I can remember going into the stores with my friends as a teen to read all the cool cards. On a teen budget that was something you could actually afford to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I gave up buying cards when I started making them. I agree that they need to rethink what they're selling and update the stores. The last time I went in mine (that recently moved to a corner location in a remodeled shopping center) I was looking for black and orange tissue paper. It was near Halloween and our town is the home of Oregon State with their colors being black and orange. Guess what? They didn't have any!

Shame the young crowd wants to do everything on their phones and tablets-there go books too and all kinds of printed media. Wonder if they'll tire of it all someday?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to go into a Hallmark store to get cards for family birthdays and I would end up spending $30+ every time. I have a big family with 3-5 birthdays and other occasions each month....it just got to be too much. I get that the younger gen. doesn't buy cards, but the cost is really prohibitive for the older gen., too. My home made cards are much more appreciated as well as cheaper in the long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I just walked into a Hallmark Card Store this past weekend, just for the heck of it, while shopping for my daughter's bday gift. I was bombarded with Christmas stuff and customers just standing in the way and kids running around.

Could not even get to the card area without a fighting a crowd of standing people and running kids!!

Not worth it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes