Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Glue Pad vs. Heat and Stick Powder ??

I would like to glitter some snowflakes for my Christmas cards. What do you perfer a glue pad or heat and stick powder which is used with versa mark? Will be doing at least 30 cards so I would like to keep it simple too. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I've never heard of anybody having really good results with a glue pad, I must confess. I've used Stamp n Bond (the Stampendous version of the heat and stick powder) and that works well. It might be more trouble than a glue pad for that many cards but if it saves you the frustration of having your glitter just fall off then it's probaby worth it!

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy some glitter cardstock and cut them out of that. Best Creations is my favorite; Die Cuts With A View has some that is smoother and a little thinner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could also just put your glitter into some clear embossing powder. It works great and the glitter doesn't come off, as I've had happen with both glue pads and heat n stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never had any real success with a glue pad, and I tried the Pallette one, as well as the Essential glue pad, which is a Tsukineko brand. Recently bought the Stamp & Stick powder, but not tried it yet. I usually go with a Stampendous glittery powder, Stardust or Crystal being favourites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I worked a few conventions several years ago for a company that sold glitter and my best results were to use a glue for glitter over a stamped image and then sprinkle on glitter. I know that is not what you want to hear when you have so many cards to make but I heard a lot of complaints about both glue pads and heat n stick. The company I worked for sold both the glue pad and heat n stick also, so I'm not trying to drum up biz for them just telling you what I heard.

If you do use either one be sure to follow all instructions carefully for best results. I seem to remember some wait time and do's n don'ts specific instructions. Sorry too many years ago to remember more maybe someone else here can share some of their experiences and tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

How about trying this?

? Mixing Glitter with Embossing Powder - ... | Craft techniques and t?

Or if you have punches instead of using stamps...
EK Tools� | Glittered Snowflakes | Craft techniques and tutorials
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I recently used the SU heat & stick powder in a workshop, and honestly I would not recommend using it for number of cards. The reason being the number of steps involved. It works same as embossing powder, but once the powder gets shiny/melts you got to immediately be ready to pour the glitter over your image. Then you tap excess glitter and heat set again (just a little). It works well for a few cards, but I think for 30 cards you are better off covering the desired area with versamark and then apply a clear embossing powder w/glitter to get the desired effect. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey I was just over the SCS Stamping talk folder and there is a very small discussion on this subject titled Ask Beate... stamping with glitter and here is what is stated:

"I have been using the Rubber Cafe Scrap Happy Glue and the Ultra Fine glitters to stamp images and glitter them up. Works Great! Only caveat...must clean rubber stamp with a good rubber cleaner (I use an automotive grade cleaner) to protect and preserve your rubber stamp. Super easy, super fun."

Other person said they clean their stamps with oderless mineral spirits. So you may want to give it a try, depending on what you are wanting to put glitter on. Let us know your outcome, good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing a little glitter into their embossing powder so it all goes on at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the Palette Glue pad which I probably bought over 2 years ago and never used. It was still in the wrapper -- but recently when I opened it up to try to use it, the pad felt completely dry. I was wondering if the pad dried out or whether its like the Stazon opaque white where you have to use a reinker on it everytime you use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Heat and stick powder is what I prefer for glitter. I've tried using various glues and glue pads but always go back to heat and stick. The trick is to not get crazy with tapping off excess. I've found a gentle tap on the side edges is sufficient and leaves a generous enough amount to melt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing a little glitter into their embossing powder so it all goes on at once.
There are companies that sell this, so I'm sure you could do the same thing at home. May take some experimenting to determine a good ratio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by NjoilifView Post
Hey I was just over the SCS Stamping talk folder and there is a very small discussion on this subject titled Ask Beate... stamping with glitter and here is what is stated:

"I have been using the Rubber Cafe Scrap Happy Glue and the Ultra Fine glitters to stamp images and glitter them up. Works Great! Only caveat...must clean rubber stamp with a good rubber cleaner (I use an automotive grade cleaner) to protect and preserve your rubber stamp. Super easy, super fun."

Other person said they clean their stamps with oderless mineral spirits. So you may want to give it a try, depending on what you are wanting to put glitter on. Let us know your outcome, good luck!
This product looks great! I think I'm going to give it a try. Here's a tutorial on its use. The rubber stamp portion starts at the 9:20 mark.

The Rubber Cafe Scrap Happy Sheer Glue Tutorial - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Yes, I've done it often to get a 'custom colour'. Works fine. Just be careful with the quantities you use- too much glitter and it won't stick, too little and you don't get the effect. I usually mix up what I think looks right, and thats generally about 1/3 glitter to 2/3 embossing powder, and then dab a spot of embossing ink onto some scrap paper & test the mix. You can then add more glitter/embossing powder till you get the look you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

If you are punching or die-cutting snowflakes_
I have had great success with Stamp Stuff "Stardust " or "Winter Wonderland" embossing powder - just spread some Versamark on cardstock, then embossing powder, heat, then punch out the snowflakes. Looks fabulous!
You could also spread some Stickles on your paper and punch when dry.
Glossy accents or equivalent will hold glitter if you try that on ready make snowflakes also.

Last edited by Iriseyes; 11-17-2013 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: not finished
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For die cut shapes you could also use double sided adheisve sheets. Peel off one side adhere to cardstock, die cut and then peel off other side and pour on glitter. Be sure to apply a bit of pressure with a finger or brayer to make sure the glitter is stuck on well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I find that glitter and glue just don't go together...for me anayway. I would suggest using heat & stick powder, just because the results are better. Good luck with whatever you do decide to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like using glitter cardstock to die cut things. If I want something I've stamped to look "glittery" I use a neutral color of Stickles, like Stardust or Diamond, which lets the color of the ink show through.

I have the glue pad and tried it a couple of times with loose glitter, but found it a real pain to use.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Smile Thank You everyone for your helpful comments!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I hate hate HATE glitter, I hate how it gets on everything and never comes off! I prefer going to Jo-Ann's and grabbing several pieces of Darice glitter cardstock from the open cardstock racks, then die-cutting/punching it. It's very nice and glittery, but still flat and the glitter does NOT flake off (I've rubbed and scratched it with not one speck coming off). I love Christmas decor and cards, but I abhor glitter so it's the solution for me! ^_^
Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmbelleinaView Post
I hate hate HATE glitter, I hate how it gets on everything and never comes off! I prefer going to Jo-Ann's and grabbing several pieces of Darice glitter cardstock from the open cardstock racks, then die-cutting/punching it. It's very nice and glittery, but still flat and the glitter does NOT flake off (I've rubbed and scratched it with not one speck coming off). I love Christmas decor and cards, but I abhor glitter so it's the solution for me! ^_^
Glitter, the herpes of the craft world. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
Glitter, the herpes of the craft world. LOL

I SAY THAT ALL THE TIME LOL!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this will probably sound harsh, but please do NOT waste your time with a glue pad. I did exactly that last Christmas. Stamped 40 beautiful, glittered snowflake cards. Thought it had "set" long enough. Even rubbed one a bit to be sure. But the majority of cards that got mailed totally shed the glitter in the mailing process. The recipient ended up with a pretty much blank card front and an envelope full of glitter. NEVER again.

Just wanted to share my experience since you are considering doing what I already did. It might work if you don't plan on mailing them . . . but even then, I wouldn't take the chance. The cost of the glue pad was insignificant compared to the time I wasted and my cardstock. Not to mention how embarrassing it was knowing people got such a failed card. I only found out by accident because I was there when one of my friend's opened their card. My heart sank to say the least.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I've never tried the glue pad, but I recently tried the heat-and-stick powder and was not too impressed with it. I found that there is a very small window between melting it and over-heating and burning it, although that could just be my heat gun. It didn't seem to hold much glitter to it either.
I'm not sure why no one has mentioned it yet- maybe I'm missing something- but I would suggest using glittery embossing powder. I mean the kind you can buy, without trying to mix clear embossing powder and glitter yourself. I've found it at Michaels in several different colours, my favourite being the Stampendous 'Stardust', which is great for snowflakes and wintery things. It's also pretty clear, so you can apply it over stamped images or patterned paper and have the images underneath show through. I also have some in Red Tinsel and Green Tinsel, nice for Christmassy things. I did have some Blue Tinsel too, until my darling boys found it and sprinkled it all over the house!
That's all I ever used for glitter until I tried a neat technique at a class using scor-tape and ultra-fine glitter. In the class we used some scor-tape that was about an inch wide and used strips of it to cover a piece of cardstock, then die-cut a shape from it, and then dipped the sticky side of the diecut in some glitter. After rubbing the glitter into the scor-tape a bit, it gets quite shiny and is very firmly attached. I've used the same technique with thinner scor-tape to create glittered stripes, like for a background or to decorate Christmas ornaments.
Other than that, making diecuts from glittered cardstock is something I've done too- like for the 40-odd Christmas cards I made this year.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

I did a search for glitter embossing powder and didn't find any but after your post, the Stardust will be on my must have list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

I did a search for glitter embossing powder and didn't find any but after your post, the Stardust will be on my must have list.
Try googling Stampendous brand embossing powder. That's the brand that Michaels carries. They have a lot of nice colours, but I had suggested using clear embossing powder and glitter if you want a custom match to your ink/cardstock. I wouldn't use cheap glitter though if you do use it with any method that uses heat. The cheap stuff tarnishes and/or burns quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wonder if this technique would help
http://stamptv.ning.com/video/mixing...bossing-powder

Zing! Do a glitter embossing powder.
Reply With Quote Likes