Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tim Holtz markers vs Stampin' Up markers

Does anyone know the differences between Stampin Up markers and the Tim Holtz Distress markers? I've been on the fence to try Tim Holtz's markers because I love markers, but if there's not a huge difference, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I searched the Internet for 'distress marker vs stampin up marker' and got lots of hits, so I would suggest you start there. You can select which articles you wish to read from the search results.

distress marker vs stampin up marker - Bing

I also searched YouTube but I did not get any hits for videos comparing distress and su markers.

IMO they're quite different, each type with its own value. Like anything, what tool/product you use depends on what effect you're looking for.

I find the distress markers to work better with watercoloring techniques (whether on the paper or directly applied to a stamp) - more reactive with the water and retain their color.

However, due to their reactivity with water, I don't get crisp image retention with distress makers.

So if i'm not using water for coloring or direct application to my stamp, I prefer the su markers. I have marvy markers as well and I would classify the marvy markers in the su marker category.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I was sucked into the distress markers thinking they were very different from other water based markers and IMHO there really isn't that much difference. The big selling point was that they don't loose their vibrancy when diluted with water. Well, yes maybe not as much as other markers, but not so much that they are worth it.

Yep, I'm sorry I bought them. I rarely use them like I do my SU, Marvy, or Tombow markers. The colors of the distress markers seem so dull. I also found that they work best on Rangers expensive Specialty Paper and since I don't care for the markers all that much, I'm not spending the extra $$.

What I do love are the distress stains. I've been water coloring with them and they are so vibrant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

am a huge huge fan of distress inks, but I did not like the distress markers. the colors were muted, nothing worked for me. i love my su markers and my tombow and my Faber Castell Big Brush. don't have all the colors in all of them, but they all produce good strong color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #5  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Hi Jlzlmom.

Darlene DeVries just did a great job comparing the SU markers and the Distress markers so I wanted to let you know. Don't know if you're interested in alcohol ink markers, but her comparison includes Copics as well.

Her video demonstrates what I was trying to explain above about how the markers are different and how they produce different results depending on what technique (and paper) you're using.

Here's a link to her video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rerL3vfCEP4
Reply With Quote Likes