View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #71
Ksnurse
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Default Apple Spice Bread Pudding with Warm Caramel Sauce

Just had to laugh at Gail in a previous post about cooking for large families..same here. My Grandma cooked for family of 10 and extra during cutting season. So this makes 2 - 9x13 pans full but can easily be halved or take half to someone else. (The peeps at work devour it) Ever the frugal woman, she saved all the ends of homemade bread that no one would eat in the freezer and when she had enough, they got dessert. (The caramel sauce is my addition, but plain whip cream is great too.) This was my Daddy's favorite dessert.

Ingredients:

Pudding:

16 cups cubed dry bread
12 eggs (I use 8 eggs and 1 carton egg beaters)
3 cups milk (I use 2%)
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups brown sugar (I use 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp nutmeg
5-6 apples, grated (depends on how large)
2 cups raisins
___
Topping:

3 sticks cold butter, cut into pieces
3 cups flour (I use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat)
1 1/2 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup pecans
___
Drizzle:

1/3 can evaporated milk (may need more to thin for drizzle)
14 oz caramel
___

Directions:

Whisk all pudding ingredients except bread together until smooth. Add bread cubes and stir until all coated well. Let sit for 4 hours or overnight in refrigerator.

Stir apples and raisins into bread mixture. Pour into 2 greased pans.

Place all topping ingredients except nuts in bowl and cut with pastry blender until all is incorporated into crumbly streusel. Add nuts. Sprinkle over pudding. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-50 min. Pudding is done when knife inserted in center comes out with only small amt liquid on it. It will finish absorbing fluid while cools.

Place caramel and evap. milk in microwave safe bowl and cook stirring every 1 minute until starting to melt. Remove from microwave and stir, caramel will continue to melt in hot milk and make a smooth sauce. Add more milk if needed to consistency you wish.

Dish up pudding and drizzle with caramel sauce.

QFTD38 and proud fan club member

Join us for Christmas Card Challenge 2013and All Occasion Card Challenge 2013
Y'all are cordially invited to a teaparty with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty.
resident lurker at the You Can Do It challenge
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!