View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #69
superjen
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Default Enchilada Sauce

Inexplicably, enchilada sauce (at least here) is surprisingly expensive. I've been using this recipe for 5 years or so. Love it! I use Penzey's chili powder (I can't recommend the quality of their spices enough, Google them as they have an online store with free shipping after $30).

What she says about lumps is true. I usually make this with cornstarch instead of flour since I cannot make a lumpless flour gravy. It also makes it gluten-free.

Rockin Robin' Raving Enchilada Sauce

2 c chicken broth
t T Gebhardt Chili Powder (as I mentioned above, I use Penzey's)
1 t ground cumin
2 heaping tsp garlic powder
3/4 t salt
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1/3 t sugar (I am not making this up, who has a 1/3 t measure? I use a heaping 1/4)
5 T cold water
5 T white flour

- Mix everything but the last two ingredients in a sauce pan, whisk well. Heat to a low boil and cook 3 minutes. Whisk frequently to make spices dissolve. This is important for flavor and texture.
- While the sauce is on a slow simmer, put 5 T cold water in a bowl, whisk in flour, 1 T at a time. Whisk vigorously to avoid lumps. If you have lumps here, you will have lumps in your sauce.
- After 3 mins, turn sauce up to high. Very slowly, add flour mixture, whisking vigorously to avoid lumps. Continue to whisk 1 minute after all flour mixture is added, turning heat down to medium. Sauce should still be boiling.
- Done. If a skin forms, just peel it off before using the sauce. If it thickens too much, just add water or broth to get the desired consistency.

Tonight I made chicken enchiladas with some corn tortillas, the remains of a CostCo chicken, some pre-shredded cheese and some of those yummy super food greens CostCo is selling that are pretty much good in anything.